New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Lost Lands: Grimmsgate IC

Elethielle's eidolon bounds forward easily bearing one of the things to the ground its lethal claws slashing for 4 & 6 damage tearing it to ribbons.

Meanwhile Riaghan conjures a great blast of water, the tidal drenching sending the other sprawling in the dirt. Floundering about it tries to roll to one side and regain its feet as Philemon & Artaith menace it...

Spoiler: rolls & info
    Show
    Riaghan vs cursed human
    Ref DC13 vs water blast (1d20+2)[3]

Feral human takes Total Defense action (+4 AC) & tries to stand up
    => Philemon & Artaith get an AoO

=> Party

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    If an enemy incurs an AoO: (1d20+3)[14] to hit, (1d20+3)[11] (19-20/x2), (2d6+7)[13] slashing damage, (2d6+7)[17] critical strike damage.
    Spoiler: Round 2, Philemon's Statistics
    Show
    Philemon Cooper
    Male Neutral Good Human Ranger (Skirmisher/Guide), Level 1, Init 2, HP 10/13, Speed 30 ft.
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 2, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Greatsword +3 (2d6+7, 19-20/x2)
    Scale Mail (+5 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 17, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Condition
    Power Attack

Philemon wastes no effort with speaking, striking at the man as he tries to rise and again with a backswing a moment later.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Power Attack: (1d20+3)[16] to hit, (1d20+3)[15] (19-20/x2), (2d6+7)[14] slashing damage, (2d6+7)[15] critical strike damage.

If an enemy incurs an AoO: (1d20+3)[11] to hit, (1d20+3)[8] (19-20/x2), (2d6+7)[16] slashing damage, (2d6+7)[12] critical strike damage.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

As her eidolon savages the first of the strange bestial humans she whistles sharply bringing it to heel. "The poor creatures know not what they do" she cries out to the others, but its too late she worries as Philemon swings out with his blade. She watches and waits to see what happens, hoping that this second one could still be saved

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

delay

Elethielle (Ellie)
    M LG Half Elf Summoner (Wild caller) [VMC Druid], Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Shortbow (20) +2 (1d6, x3)
    Reach Longspear (-) +1 (1d8+1, x3)
    Longsword (Cold Iron) +1 (1d8+1, 19-20)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16
    Condition Half Elf: Immune sleep, +2 vs Mind Affecting
    Trait: +1 saves vs Fey

Summon Animal I: 6/6 remaining

Biped Eidolon - Looks like cross between a wolf and a large cat
    HD 1d10 HPs 7/11 BAB +1 Saves 3/4/0 Init +2 Speed 40ft
    AC 16 ( +4 natural, +2 dex)
    Bite +3 (1d6+2), 2 x Claws +3 (1d4+2) +1d6 bleed
    Str 14 Dex 14 Con 13 Int 7 Wis 10 Cha 11
    Skills (4): Perception (1) +4, Stealth (1) +6, Survival (1) +4, Acrobatics (1) +6
    Feats (1): Power attack
    Evol Pool (4): Limbs, Bite, Claws (1), Bleed (claws) (1), Imp Natural armour (1), Pounce (1)
    SQ: Darkvision, link, Share spells

Conditions:
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

As the once-human tries to rise, Artaith swings her axe in an awkward, backhanded stroke near its feet. Trying to trip it more than injure, the thick butt-end of the blade sweeps low by its ankles.

Spoiler: Artaith, AoO, round 2
    Show
    Artaith Forgeheart
    F NG Dwarf Warpriest (Shield bearer), Level 1, Init 1, HP 10/14, Speed 20
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 5, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 0
    cleave bonus Dwarven double war axe +3 (or +1 TWF) (1d10+3, x3)
    Spiked steel shield +3 (or +1 TWF) (1d6+3 (+1 TWF), x2)
    Scale mail, Heavy steel shield with spike (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 17, Cha 6
    Condition Iron Within: 1/1
    Cleric spells
    Blessings: 3/3

AoO is a trip attempt:
    (1d20+3)[20] If the attempt is so poor she gets tripped, it's not a special weapon so sucks to suck? Hopefully doesn't apply, but if it does, she'll stand up next round.

Assuming she's still on her feet, if the enemy remains prone, she'll initiate a grapple: (1d20+3)[16]

If she's on her feet and the enemy also is, she'll attack old-fashioned, with both axe and shield:
    [roll]1d20+1[/roll] whoops. axe
    (1d10+3)[11] damage

(1d20+1)[3] shield
    (1d6+3)[6] damage

in event of critical threat: (1d20+1)[4] confirmation. I'll roll damage OOC if it matters

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

As the crazed mutant tries to rise Philemon swings his massive sword, cutting off all other ideas of capturing or overpowering the thing/ person with a sickening and bloody <splunk!> as he strikes for 16 damage ending its pitiful existence.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

The sound of the blade hitting is sickening and she turns away, hair falling like a curtain in front of her eyes as she averts her view. With the two "people" now dead and in pieces upon the ground she approaches the one lying under the clawed feet of her eidolon. "Hush now.." she murmurs to the unnaturally silent creature and kneels down beside the remains, a pained, "What did happen to you?" she wonders as she ties to work out what has caused them to become like beasts

Show

Know (Nature) (1d20+6)[23]

Elethielle (Ellie)
    M LG Half Elf Summoner (Wild caller) [VMC Druid], Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0

Skills (4): Perception (1) +4, Stealth (1) +6, Survival (1) +4, Acrobatics (1) +6
    Evol Pool (4): Limbs, Bite, Claws (1), Bleed (claws) (1), Imp Natural armour (1), Pounce (1)

Conditions:

7. - Top - End - #187

NecromancerGuy

With a grim expression Philemon wipes his blade clean and begins to remove the two bodies, waiting for Elethielle to finish her inspection but otherwise wasting no time with the grisly task. "We don't want them attracting more or scavengers. This may take me several minutes - will anyone else help?"

He then takes the bodies far enough away from the dilapidated shed to avoid drawing more to the party. If there is a good place to dump the bodies with respect he will. If not, he will at least lay them down with grace and dignity. Phil won't stay out long, though, as his concern for more attacks in the dark requires haste.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith joins Elethielle in inspecting the fallen. Her efforts lie in a different field, however- more focused on the divergences from healthy humans.

Show
    Don't know if it'll help, but (1d20+7)[20] heal- theory crafting that she might be able to determine injuries or diseases prior to death?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Having never bore witness to such a grisly sight, Riaghan nods and follows Philemon's lead in helping to move the departed from the area.
    Riaghan Meadowbrook, Lost Lands – Grimmsgate | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Aqualith Media

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Eponine remains withdrawn after the brief engagement. She doesn't like to look at the corrupted people or dwell on how they came to be so, lest it turn out there be no defense against that grisly fate. Instead she visits herself setting up a poorly constructed fire in the cottage's crumbling grate, and when she *finally* gets that lit and a canteen of water boiling, she starts to brew an amateurish tea for the party based on how she's observed the others doing it in the past. Is really not a good tea, but she offers it around any way.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Elle and Artaith take a few moments to check over the bodies. Like the ones you fought previously, they appear to have once been humans but have undergone some sort of transformation with a much more bestial influence. In particular overly large rodent-like teeth and as you have experienced dangerously large and sharp claws. The tatters of clothing (if any) left clinging to their bodies and generally filthy state suggests a complete absence of hygiene or civility.

Philemon and Riaghan drag the bodies away. Thinking better of dumping them in the river, you drag them a hundred yards or so and dump them behind a small copse of scrappy trees. Meanwhile Eponine focuses on getting the cabin habitable and stokes a fire, preparing beverages and getting it ready for the night ahead.

Spoiler: making camp
    Show
    It's about 7:30 at night (dusk/ evening).
    Presumably you are going to 'make camp' in the cabin.
    Taking watches? If so let me know the order (I'll assume that this is standard order and use in future too)
    Any other actions prior to settling down?

12. - Top - End - #192

NecromancerGuy

"I'm beat - if someone else can take the first watch, I'll take the graveyard shift, but I need to lay down for now. Hopefully we won't have any overnight interruptions..." says Philemon without confidence. "Wake me at the slightest sign of trouble - don't wait," he directs solemnly to whoever plans to take the first shift.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't think I'm going to find it easy to sleep tonight," Eponine replies. "I'll take the first watch."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Elethiele sits with the others, a look of sadness as the bodies are dragged away. "It is a horrid curse that has befallen them. They did not deserve that. Some evil stalks this land I fear and we must be the ones to stop it." she adds. Tucking into the dinner of rations and heated mugs of warm tea she will gladly let some of the others take the early watches as she nods to Eponine, "Awake me before the dawn. I can do the last watch, well me and my friend here." she adds the latter patting the strange feline/hound cross and snuggles down beside the animal drawing a blanket around her.

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)

Conditions:

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith grunts at her companion's apparent sensitivity. "Ah'm pretty sure mah matron'd cut me off if I didn' make'n effort ta' help," she mutters. In the dim interior of the abandoned farmstead, it's hard to be sure if she's complaining or not. "Nature's cruel, 'n Ah worry for anything that kin take yer mind like that. Weren't people no more inside those bodies." She frowns deeply, perhaps more disturbed than she's letting on, the gaze quickly becoming a scowl.

"I'll put the hurt on whoever done it, given' half a chance."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riaghan, grateful for the volunteers for nightwatch, will make the best use of the night's sleep he can while keeping his staff close as he prepares his bed roll by the fire.
    Aqualith Media

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

You make the most of the comforts afforded by the rickety farmhouse, tethering the horses outside, arranging bedrolls and preparing a warm brew in the fireplace. You gather in and allocate watches, preparing for the night ahead. Outside as dusk falls the birds are chirruping, noisily settling in to their nests for the evening after a day of hunting grubs in the overgrown fields and hedges.

As Eponine is about to take her first watch, and the rest of you are thinking about settling down, you experience an odd sensation. Each of you, in your minds, hears words forming - an inhuman voice repeating distinct yet unfamiliar sounds in a strange tongue.

Spoiler: Linguistics checks
    Show
    Riaghan DC20 (1d20+1)[18]
    Elle DC20 (1d20+1)[10]
    Philemon DC20 (1d20)[13]
    Artaith DC10 (1d20-2)[13]
    Eponine DC20 (1d20)[1]

Artaith recognises the language of the one-way telepathic babble as Abyssal
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2022-06-03 at 05:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

NecromancerGuy

"Ugh...what is that?" grunts Philemon irritably. "I can't tell which way it is, but it's very ugly..."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

"...and it sounds it is though it's repeating? Can anyone understand it?" Riaghan inquires, sitting up from his bedroll.
    Aqualith Media

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith blinks several times, scowling thoughtfully. She looks around the room, quickly coming to the conclusion that they all 'heard' the same strange whispering. "I can't understand what he's saying, but it's devilish in nature. Nothin' Good, that's for sure."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Elethielle rolls to her knees, the eidolon nuzzling her and crooning loudly in her ear, the deep guttural growling of the eidolon drowning out the noise in her head. Shaking her head she summons a small orb of light into the space before her, the light emanating from her necklace illuminating her and her nearby companion "Strange, a voice in my head, an unsettling one." Shaking her head she looks at the others "I am glad you all heard it as well, I would have been worried had it just been me."

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)

Conditions:

22. - Top - End - #202

NecromancerGuy

"Honestly, that worries me more! I don't hear it with my ears - it's in my head, though. What does that mean? Could it be related to all these...used-to-be people? We're not going to go feral out here, are we?" replies Philemon unhappily.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

"There must be something out there," Eponine says, climbing up the side of the broken-down cottage for a better vantage point. She doesn't want to think too hard about what Philemon has just said.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2022-06-10 at 05:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith frowns, struggling to make sense of it. "I'm not rightly superstitious," she grunts. "But too much o' this might change that. I certainly don't like the idea of listenin' to this for a lullaby for the next... however-long we're out here."

"Stranger things've happened than wicked words driving people mad- or worse."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Unsettling confusion reigns as you each look at each other, it becoming clear that you each hear the disagreeable words. Eponine clambers up a fencepost, leaning against the rickety shack for balance as she surveys the area. It's hard for her though, the darkness having blanketed the area only the torchlight illuminating the immediate area - the yard and horses visible but the rest just a black silhouette against the evening sky.

Spoiler: a perception roll
    Show
    Eponine perception (1d20-1)[0]

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

"My inclination is to leave this place and head back the way we came," Riaghan stated, concerned. "Could this same experience befallen the people who attacked us?"

To thoroughly research it, he'll begin to cast detect magic towards the ground in an attempt to ascertain a sense of any aura in the area itself.
    Aqualith Media

27. - Top - End - #207

NecromancerGuy

"I'm worried too, but surely those people didn't become like that overnight...if we can get in a good night's sleep, it will be safer to travel in the light. If not, or you think that any of us will change into monsters before the dawn, then I can lead the way back to what's left of the village..." Philemon looks irritable and unhappy, but willing as he looks from face to face. "I mean, I asked you all to come here to help - it'd be a horrible thing for us to turn into more of the problem on our first time out of the town walls..."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Elethielle

Elethielle looks at the others as they are disturbed and also looks around with the others. Then she looks at the Eponine "I would agree that we should wait for light to move on. If you wish I can have my pet sit with you and keep you company. they are agreeable if well fed and they have eaten well of late." As she speaks she pats the dog/cat creature that pads softly towards the centre of the room and site, eyes glittering with dark blue energy.

"If you would wake me in a couple of hours I can take over the watch and will be rested well enough for the morning "

Show

Elethielle (Ellie)

Conditions:

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

"Nah, no sense traipsin' about in the dark," Artaith interjects. "Plenty o' things ain't mystical or evil that'll be right happy to eat you anyway goes about huntin' at night." She shrugs, though she's obviously a bit shaken by the experience.

"Best bet is we all stay together. Look for signs in the mornin'."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

"I can't see a thing in this gloom anyway," Eponine agrees with the others, descending from her perch. It hadn't helped at all anyway. "I'd appreciate some company for the rest of my watch," she replies agreeably to Elethielle's offer of her own companion.

"We can press on in the morning."