New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Scale Mail +3 curiously missing from random treasure tables in DMG

I did Google for this and it seems no one has noticed this. Most types of armor have +1 through +3 variants in DMG magic tables F through I (not counting Hide Armor, which has no magical versions at all). The exception is Scale Mail. And I think it's an error, because Scale Mail +1 appears on both Table G and Table I (where I suspect it was supposed to say +3). Scale Mail +2 appears on Table H.

It is not mentioned on the official errata issued for the DMG here: https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/d...DMG-Errata.pdf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Scale Mail +3 curiously missing from random treasure tables in DMG

Not an error, just not needed.
    Half Plate already gives 1 more AC than Scale Mail while still being medium armor, weighs 5 lb. less, and shares the same stealth disadvantage penalty.
    +2 and +3 Half Plate being on Table I offers the same or better mechanical benefits.
    Last edited by Zhorn; 2021-01-20 at 11:12 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhorn View Post
    Not an error, just not needed.
    Half Plate already gives 1 more AC than Scale Mail while still being medium armor, weighs 5 lb. less, and shares the same stealth disadvantage penalty.
    +2 and +3 Half Plate being on Table I offers then same or better mechanical benefits.
    It's worth checking whether there are other "redundant" entries. AFB so I can't check myself but if there are it would suggest that its absence is an outlier.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2021-01-20 at 11:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    It's worth checking whether there are other "redundant" entries. AFB so I can't check myself but if there are it would suggest that its absence is an outlier.
    Not any others with Armor or weapons. Supreme Potion of Healing is on both Table D and E, and many of the spell scrolls overlap tables. I think Bag of Holding appears on two tables as well.

The issue is not merely the absence of Scale Mail +3, but that the highest level table (Table I) has Scale Mail +1, which is completely out of place on that table and already appears on Table G.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tchntm43 View Post
    Not any others with Armor or weapons. Supreme Potion of Healing is on both Table D and E, and many of the spell scrolls overlap tables. I think Bag of Holding appears on two tables as well.

The issue is not merely the absence of Scale Mail +3, but that the highest level table (Table I) has Scale Mail +1, which is completely out of place on that table and already appears on Table G.
    Its the higher appearance rate. On table G, Scale Mail +1 has a 1% chance to appear per roll. On table I, Scale Mail +1 has a 2% chance to appear per roll.

It basically just makes it more likely to appear over continuous magic item rolls.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asisreo1 View Post
    Its the higher appearance rate. On table G, Scale Mail +1 has a 1% chance to appear per roll. On table I, Scale Mail +1 has a 2% chance to appear per roll.

It basically just makes it more likely to appear over continuous magic item rolls.
    All armor on Table G and Table H has a 1% rate. That's not unique to Scale Mail. Come on, man, this is grasping at straws... what do you think is more likely?

...That they decided "we want every type of armor except one to have +1, +2, and +3 variants, and for the one that doesn't have a +3 variant, we're going to make it appear on the table that's supposed to have the most powerful items at +1 again (not even +2), and just for fun we're going to pick one of the most disliked armor types to do this with?"

or

...That someone made a typo and it was supposed to be +3.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tchntm43 View Post
    All armor on Table G and Table H has a 1% rate. That's not unique to Scale Mail. Come on, man, this is grasping at straws... what do you think is more likely?

...That they decided "we want every type of armor except one to have +1, +2, and +3 variants, and for the one that doesn't have a +3 variant, we're going to make it appear on the table that's supposed to have the most powerful items at +1 again (not even +2), and just for fun we're going to pick one of the most disliked armor types to do this with?"

or

...That someone made a typo and it was supposed to be +3.

I don't understand the hostility unless I'm misreading your reply.

All I'm saying is that the +1 scale mail armor increases in appearance rate as the party increases in tier.

It was purely informative and I wasn't making a point one way or the other. Its entirely possible they didn't give Scale Mail +3 because of a typo or error. Doesn't really change the fact that they seemed to intend on certain armor to have increased rates at higher tiers.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

No hostility at all intended. And I may have misread your post.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

When it comes to combinations of any weapon/armor and any bonus, I kind of think as a DM you can make anything you want.

The tables are just a resource to judge rarity and value of magical items (although the charts are a little off on this as well in my opinion).

If you want Scale Mail +3, go for it.