New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Quill of Law (2e -> 5e) what 3 laws would you write?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakinbandw View Post
    None contradict the others. The first makes it so that if you know what is on the paper and choose to read it anyway it affects you, the second only stops alignment change, and the third only works against spells and effects with mental saving throws. The quill, from what I can read, offers no saving throw.

Edit:assuming your low enough level.
    I think you missed the word “not” in the third law, and that’s probably why they said it’s a paradox. And there’s a saving throw under certain conditions.
    I usually post from my phone, so please excuse any horrendous typos.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    [to somebody getting upset over somebody else's house rule] Maybe you should take a break, you're getting rather worked up over magic elf games.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rlc View Post
    I think you missed the word “not” in the third law, and that’s probably why they said it’s a paradox. And there’s a saving throw under certain conditions.
    Even with "not" they would still clash, since the first allows you (in theory) to be willingly influenced while the other would forbid any effect. Regardless of the fact that I think only Scrying allows you to fail the save willingly, thinking about it.

EDIT: Calm Emotions does that too, and that's covered by both laws.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-01-14 at 02:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jakinbandw View Post
    1: You will never allow spells and effects to control your mind, unless you willingly decide in advance to accept the control.

2: You will never let an a spell or magical effect alter you alignment.

3: You will allow yourself to be controlled by any external spell or effect that could be resisted with strength of personality or willpower.

I read it, and then argue to the gm that I should get advantage on mental saves because I'm mentally compelled not to fail them.
    I'm sure your character will do their best to obey the laws, but I don't see why it should give any advantage.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

I would not use it as a governing tool; I would use it for a massive advantage in combat (or for avoiding combat). Maybe with a time limit, to avoid the most disastrous friendly fire.

1. For the next 60 seconds, cease all combat activity.
    2. For the next 60 seconds, end any and all active spells on your person.
    3. For the next 60 seconds, place all your magic items in front of you.

Then strap it to your shield, and cover it until needed.
    Use it for what ever purpose fits your alignment.

Would that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I would not use it as a governing tool; I would use it for a massive advantage in combat (or for avoiding combat). Maybe with a time limit, to avoid the most disastrous friendly fire.

1. For the next 60 seconds, cease all combat activity.
    2. For the next 60 seconds, end any and all active spells on your person.
    3. For the next 60 seconds, place all your magic items in front of you.

Then strap it to your shield, and cover it until needed.
    Use it for what ever purpose fits your alignment.

Would that work?
    Why stop there? Get a crack team of scribes to write down portions of a killer joke equivalent in another language. Put it on the barbarian’s shield.

“All who read this must hold their breath until they die.” Is suboptimal to be sure, but it kills anyone who reads it.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So does the quill magically give you the ability to do what is commanded?

"You will never allow spells and effects to control you mind."
    "You will hold your breath until you die."

If the item can render you immune to mind control and take over your autonomic bodily functions (breathing while unconsicious)
    then...
    "You will instantly become level 20 in whatever class you choose. Oh, and gain a 60' flying speed and diamond-hard skin, because why not."
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

There's a hack that gives you infinite wishes laws

1) You must read and know the law of the state

2) You may not break the law [unless it is to save your life or the life of someone else. (this part may make the law more robust by giving people an out when they need it, thereby not allowing them to escape the law if lives are at stake)]

3) Only the ruler update the law or the quill of law

Then you just make sure the law is readily available and you're golden. The constitution or whatever can then outline any number of laws that you can update. Any additional rules you need can be written into your own law book.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

This would roughly be the equivalent of say, lobotomizing people in order to ensure compliance with the law. I suppose it's slightly better as there's no permanent damage, but even the most well-meaning laws would be an evil act to enforce in this way. The only real thing a Good ruler would do with this item would be to bury it deep underground in a sarcophagus of molten lead.

That being said, an evil group could get some use out of it by forcing an entire village to become their eternal servants by supplying laws like "any material wealth you accumulate that is not strictly necessary for your continued survival must be handed over to Adventuring Group #2060b on the first of every month." or something like that, with additional laws to ensure productivity or secrecy.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacsAlterEgo View Post
    This would roughly be the equivalent of say, lobotomizing people in order to ensure compliance with the law. I suppose it's slightly better as there's no permanent damage, but even the most well-meaning laws would be an evil act to enforce in this way. The only real thing a Good ruler would do with this item would be to bury it deep underground in a sarcophagus of molten lead.

That being said, an evil group could get some use out of it by forcing an entire village to become their eternal servants by supplying laws like "any material wealth you accumulate that is not strictly necessary for your continued survival must be handed over to Adventuring Group #2060b on the first of every month." or something like that, with additional laws to ensure productivity or secrecy.
    Why bury it?
    It is not an artifact right?
    So you can just destroy it?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacsAlterEgo View Post

I can imagine one situation where a good ruler would use it, as a rehabilitation tool. Receive reduced sentence if you agree to read the quill of law. The quill of law then just says "don't attack people, no stealing". Combined with some means of survival for those who can't without stealing and it could actually do a lot of good.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    I can imagine one situation where a good ruler would use it, as a rehabilitation tool. Receive reduced sentence if you agree to read the quill of law. The quill of law then just says "don't attack people, no stealing". Combined with some means of survival for those who can't without stealing and it could actually do a lot of good.
    Yeah, anywhere where people are comfortable using forced compliance it would have a place... enforcing prison-yard safety rules for example

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Why bury it?
    It is not an artifact right?
    So you can just destroy it?
    Wait. Is it an artifact or a normal magic item?

Artifact:
    Pro - There is only 1 Quill
    Con - It is hard to destroy

Not Artifact:
    Pro - It is easy to destroy
    Con - Another is being crafted

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    This is basically the plot of A Clockwork Orange and I don't think it worked out very well there!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

I would see it used in an enjoyable and interesting way as a heavily localized thing. Meant as a tool of special oppression "no citizen can leave the city" for a conquered setting, or special diplomatic towns.

A place where the laws are accepted by those who will enter, ahead of time. Using the laws as some forcibly imposed "Aura of Peace" to ensure the security of everyone involved would be interesting to play out. Or any variation of the concept.

In large scale worlds, maybe restrict these "super lawful zones" to strategic location. Like train stations, border crossings. Stargate locations.

Hell, maybe this is what keep Hell sealed. What if the hordes of hell couldn't get out because the doors are sealed shut with these Pens, making it illegal to leave? You could have the pens be a tool of Heavens.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

1. Read the following law
    2. Read the previous law
    3. There is no 3.
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

1. Tuesday is hereby abolished.
    2. Wednesday will now take place on Saturday, Saturday having been moved to a new week.
    3. All animals must be clothed.
    Last edited by FabulousFizban; 2021-01-17 at 12:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    Why stop there? Get a crack team of scribes to write down portions of a killer joke equivalent in another language. Put it on the barbarian’s shield.
    “All who read this must hold their breath until they die.” Is suboptimal to be sure, but it kills anyone who reads it.
    I wanted to keep it non-lethal, so it can be used when in the middle of a crowd of bystanders, or in a kings court.
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    As for the laws... three laws... if only we had an example for some sort of ethical-but-authoritarian Lg society to follow...

1) within the city limits, one must not willingly cause harm to another sentient being, or by willful inaction allow another sentient being to come to harm

2) within the city limits, one must not willfully engage in behavior that threatens its own existence; except in situations where that would violate the first law

3) within city limits, one must obey the lawfully given orders of law enforcement officers; except in situations where that would violate the first two laws; or immediately and peacefully leave the city limits
    Without a corresponding Zeroth Law, issues would crop up sooner or later, when someone has to choose the needs of the many over the needs of the few. Three just doesn't completely cut it :) Great starting point though!

However, I would probably write:
    1. You will buy your next mattress, bedroll or straw sack at Bundin's Beds Emporium!
    2. You will not sell mattresses, bedrolls or straw sacks at a lower price than Bundin's Beds Emporium!
    3. You will tell at least two friends about the excellent service at Bundin's Beds Emporium at least once in the two weeks following this moment!

That'll teach that other floating one-eyed @#$@! selling moldy mattresses over at Bedroll Bathtub and Beholders!
    Last edited by Bundin; 2021-01-18 at 05:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

What would I write? Or what would I set up in a d&d game?
    1) 1. You shall not cause harm though action or inaction to yourself or others.
    2. You shall not cause another to believe a falsehood you believe is false.
    3. All your actions shall adhere to the United States legal code, according to the state you are currently in unless doing so would cause harm though action or inaction to yourself or others or cause another to believe a falsehood you believe is false.

2)
    1. You will not cause harm to the writer of this law or any under the protection of the writer of this law.
    2. You will spend some amount of time each day performing prayer, silent contemplation or any rituals of this writer's designation
    3. You will obey any spoken command of the writer of these laws, if the command is a set task the command is to last only until the completion of that task, if it reverences a pattern of behavior or conduct the command is to last 1 hour unless otherwise specified.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.