Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC 2

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage
    AC: 14/18 HP: 26/26
    touch: 14, ff: 15, CMD: 13
    Conditions: Anger +1 (Mage Armor, tenative)

Adalbert nods at the newcomers. Yes, we could need a bright mind to strategize if I am to concentrate on the arcane. The halfling sighs in defeat. Not that I truly think our casualties could have been prevented by good strategy, but I do feel a bit of shame and guilt over their demise. He shakes his head.

Regardless, I am stuck with our findings regarding the resurging Runelords. We fought what we assume was a spellcasting quasit under Sandpoint, likely a familiar to a powerful evil wizard. Now the potential cloned bodies of another runelord, one of which Lizuga's soul inhabited, aggravate my concerns to a level that might even warrant informing the local authorities.

But I do not want a formal official investigation of Lady's Light just yet. An invading scout force of townsguards are sure to only find the remnants of an abandoned base. Lady Heidmarch, do you have links to the town's officials? Do you think an official report is a smart choice?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

To Rakieth's understanding the glass thing could only be a construct. At least, he has not heard of glass elementals and if one existed, it would not fit the place and the description, and no other thing should be made of glass. So, glass construct, which likely means a golem, which means immunity to most magical effects, physical damage resistance and... well, that would be about the limit of Rakieth's knowledge about hypothetical glass golems. Probably throws some good punches too.

Sheila Heidmarch responds to Adalbert's questions. "I do have links to city's officials, but I rather think they should not be involved. The trip to Lady's Light is a private enterprise and has nothing to do with the city. As for the runelords... we are literally living in their legacy here in Magnimar, and they haven't come to claim any of it in those thousands years, so you better be very specific if you are to raise concerns. Just some other remains, if rather well-preserved..." she looks at Lizuga "...just does not cut the mark where one should panic. I'll mention it when I next meet the Lord-Mayor, but my best guess is that she'll tell me to keep you at it, and that's that."

Spoiler
    Show
    Those back from Lady's Light would record +2 Fame and +2 Prestige at the lodge when you hand written reports. You can do planning, scheming, but other than some help from the Lodge, you are on your own.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

After listening to Adalbert and considering the glass golem the elf looks about at Lizuga, Adalbert and Iris. "You all seem intent on heading back there to uncover the mystery of what lies within the lighthouse. I have all I need for travelling in an Inn nearby so will be ready when you are?" Pausing he looks most at Lizuga, "Is there anything would need young lady with your new body? Or any other things that you would require in Magnimar? I haev been in and out of city for many decades so may be of some small assistance in locating reasonable services."

And with a sly wink at Lizuga, "Any some most unreasonable ones as well". "Either way I stand ready when you wish to leave."

Spoiler:
    Show

Know arcana for the glass thing [roll0] + [roll1] inspriration

HPs 33 /33 Saves +2/8/4 (+2 Vs Enchant, +2 vs Traps)
    AC 20 (FF 20 Touch 15) Init +7 Perception +9 (11 vs traps) Darkvision 60ft/Lowlight vision

Abilities
    Inspiration 5 /5 Remaining (+1d6 on skill check, Free on Knowledge/S.motive Perception, 2 points for Saves / Attack rolls)
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War
    Stances: none active
    Body of Night (Heal ranks to Stealth, +4 to hit/+1d6 dam Vs FFooted)
    Scarlet Einhander (If one weapon fighting, +1d6 damage, +2 shield AC)
    Riven Hourglass (+4 Dodge AC/Initiative, Immune to Slow, 20% Spell Miss chance)

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)
    Sight Piercing Fang (strike)

Instead of recovering maneuvers like a standard stalker, a vigilante must open his mind to the flow of battle and the inherent patterns therein as a full-round action. When he does so, he recovers a number of expended maneuvers equal to his vigilante initiation modifier (minimum 2), gains a +4 insight bonus to his AC for one round and can move up to to his speed during the action, provoking attacks of opportunity as normal. In addition, the next attack he makes this encounter adds his sneak attack damage if it hits, regardless of whether or not the target his flanked or flat-footed. Alternately, the vigilante can center his awareness and recover a single maneuver as a standard action.

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

"I think it would be a good idea to prepare well for what you know is ahead and what you weren't able to make any headway on previously before heading back out." Krusk says. "You mentioned that there was another group that had explored at least part of the caverns earlier but you didn't find what they were doing there, other than that they helped one one side of locals take out another group. Have you found any more information on her and her group yet? This being the closest major town maybe they came through here after leaving Lady's Light, maybe someone here has some information on what she found. There is also the hydra that was mentioned, I think making some preparations for a potential encounter with that would be wise, and maybe see if a local apothecary would pay well for any parts from it."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu

"Well" - Lizuga raises an eyebrow at Rakieth - "You seem to know your way around the city. So I suggest you and I go look for rumors and survivors. In fact, let's all go. We can look into the apothecaries on the way". .

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    AC 22, Touch 13, FF 20, CMD 20|Fort +4 Ref +1 Will +6|HP: 32/32
    Perception +9, Initiative +2
    Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Encouraging Roar, Kill the Wounded, Curate's Strike (heals 12 or new save), Oaken Shield (Counter +4 AC), Piercing Strike (+5' reach, attack two targets next to each other). Spoils of War stance (allies heal 4 hp if they hit).
    Semper ludens.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

Adalbert nods grimly. Can't go hide between books all day. But I have heard Magnimar has a renown golem craftery. And glass golems are exceedingly rare. Maybe they would know more about when glass golems were last built, or even if someone had commissioned one lately. Even if I think it is an ancient technique, they would know more. Similarly, not all notation of our friend's spellbook is up to current standard. The book is likely centuries old, and maybe the murderer is too. Scholars of the Captial district could likely know more, but probably in turn of being allowed to study or copy our notes.

Adalbert closes with that statement, planning up a route through the city. He would include every member of his new group to join, where necessary they would split up so their research would not impede their progress, but seeing as he needed a bit of time to get into the arcane again, it was likely they could do any outside missions together. While I do not think the 'lords have agents in town just yet, it is better to be save than sorry. Nualia and Tsuto also had links to important people in Sandpoint. This could be the case here as well.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu

"Four thousand for the trinkets is a deal. And I'll return with the blade tomorrow, in case our mystrious patron changes their mind. As for him...." - she gestures to the prisoner - "I refuse to deal with him".

"I'm going to enjoy the sights of the big city. Join me?".

Show
    Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Encouraging Roar, Kill the Wounded, Curate's Strike (heals 12 or new save), Oaken Shield (Counter +4 AC), Piercing Strike (+5' reach, attack two targets next to each other). Spoils of War stance (allies heal 4 hp if they hit).
    Semper ludens.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

The elf looks at Lizuga and her new body in an appraising way before rising. "Well, if I will be joining you on this merry adventure into the bowels of the Lighthouse I should join in the research. I enjoy the library here and I know of several know eateries where we could get to know one another before we are assailed by golems of glass and other horrors under the swamps."

Offering a low bow to the other Pathfinders he'll offer his leave and follow Adalbert and Lizuga when they go to leave. "Perhaps stocking up on some healing and curative magids would be wise, particularly if you are cash in hand from selling some of the recently acquired trinkets?" he offers politely.

Spoiler:
    Show

AC 20 (FF 20 Touch 15) Init +7 Perception +9 (11 vs traps) Darkvision 60ft/Lowlight vision

Abilities
    Inspiration 5 /5 Remaining (+1d6 on skill check, Free on Knowledge/S.motive Perception, 2 points for Saves / Attack rolls)
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

Instead of recovering maneuvers like a standard stalker, a vigilante must open his mind to the flow of battle and the inherent patterns therein as a full-round action. When he does so, he recovers a number of expended maneuvers equal to his vigilante initiation modifier (minimum 2), gains a +4 insight bonus to his AC for one round and can move up to to his speed during the action, provoking attacks of opportunity as normal. In addition, the next attack he makes this encounter adds his sneak attack damage if it hits, regardless of whether or not the target his flanked or flat-footed. Alternately, the vigilante can center his awareness and recover a single maneuver as a standard action.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Finding the Golemworks is not tricky. The tricky part is getting them talk to you. First thing their clerk does after looking at you is to say that the golems are expensive, so if you don't know better and want to see the catalog, please do so and decide if, after that, you still have any questions. The catalog lists all types of golems the factory makes, and some types of golems the factory does not make, marking which one is which and what price is the former. Many golems, notably those with entries containing the most impressive art and text, have the price listed as "arranged individually", which you translate roughly as "helluva lot". You also see that they make other types of constructs, but those are also expensive, even if not as expensive as the golems.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy DC 20 if you are not into a golem-buying business and want them to talk. Or spend some time with the catalog to identify golems at +10.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

The halfling polishes his shoes while chanting something in Sylvan before adressing the frontdesk manager.

Adalbert greets the aloof golem constructor, and bows. Truly impressive work you do here. Back at the university, I was visiting a course on homunculi, and those use their master's blood as a base to get a basic intellect going. I have but a short question. We saw a golem made of crystal not too long ago, a bit farther away. But since you're the go-to place for golems, I figured I'd ask you if you knew something. Is crystal a normal base material? Or is something like that made for alchemical reasons? Or is it just for show?

It would help us out a lot to know this.

From Adalbert's shoulder a small brown bird with black dot eyes appears. You never saw the thing before, and it might as well have been a dream that you haven't before. Still, Iris recognizes it as her deity's favored animal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+12)[17] after casting Enhanced Diplomacy. I am taking anyone with the help action for a +2 tho.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu

"Oh yes, and it was very quick, and very dangerous. We intend to go back and destroy it, and I wouldn't mind bringing you a souvenir.".

Diplomacy - (1d20+9)[16]

Show
    Semper ludens.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

The clerk remains unimpressed. "I'm sorry to inform you, good sir, but we are not a free consultancy. We do work with a lot of different materials, and crystal is one of them, if a bit on the expensive side. That is, on expensive side of the stuff that is never cheap to begin with..." The clerk waits for you expectantly.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

Rakieth looks dispassionately at the clerk and shakes his head at the unhelpful demeanor. "Well, that is less than helpful..." he mutters. Then he glances at Lizuga, "Perhaps i may accompany you to the Temple of Shelyn, as the Lady Lighthouse was dedicated in part to an aspect of her they may have some details of what may be hidden within. Or at the very least we could seek some healing remedies before heading back from the temple preists"

Spoiler:
    Show

Abilities
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Money. It always has to be about the coin. No doubt why this man was only a clerk - he hadn't been gripped with a passion for the craft that would have a true artist talking at length before they even had a chance to think.

Iris smiled weakly at the man as she offered a few coins, unfortunately unlikely to be enticing enough to the pretentious administrator. Shrugging, she turns to her new companion Rakieth "Sure, we can visit my sisters and see if they can help us out with tales of this Lighthouse."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    the Lady Lighthouse was dedicated in part to an aspect of her they may have some details of what may be hidden within.
    I'm embarrassed, I had no idea the structure was related to Iris' deity .

Show
    Iris of Shelyn
    F NG Human (Varisian) Inquisitor (Urban Infiltrator), Level 5, Init 7, HP 24/24, Speed 30ft
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 16, CMD 21, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 7, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    MW Composite Longbow (+2 Str) +8 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex, +1 weapon) (1d8+2, x3)
    Morningstar (two-handed) +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) (1d8+3, x2)
    Dagger +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) or ranged +7 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex) (1d4+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Mithral MW Chain Shirt Armour (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition
    *Lucky Number [4](24 hours): reroll or +2 Luck bonus if number [4] rolled
    *Adoration: immediate sanctuary (Will DC15)
    *Agent of Chance: immediate - adjacent ally can reroll a skill check
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-10-15 at 03:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

Adalbert rubs his eyes. Of course he knew merchants and their focus on making a profit, but he assumed the golemworks was as much scholars as they were out to make some money. He sighs deeply, then puts on another smile. Of course. You don't want every other person come in here and ask you things about your handiwork. How much gold would be enough to explain a bit about these golems?

His voice turns dark as his gaze focusses on a random wall panel. It would be important to me to know its weaknesses, who typically commissions these. All without telling me client information of course. Tell me your price.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

The clerk seems markedly insulted by Iris' lowball offer. When Adalbert directly asks for the correct price to get a consultation, the clerk seems uneasy, but then names the price of 50gp. You pay and he pockets the money. You do not get a receipt. He takes another book from under the counter. This one seems less of an advertising material and more of a detailed product specification. Notably, it has the price listed for the crystal golem, assuming that is the type you are interested in, and some other notes. The baseline price is listed as 127000gp for a standard modification, the time to build one is listed as six months, and there is a mark, which the clerk explains means that the order would need the approval from the authorities. The clerk says this golem is a fairly special thing, not many of them are ordered. The golem can do psychic magic and works best for a master that also does psychic magic. A top psychic in the service of a government might get one of those, for example. The golem's largest weakness is its succebility to a fairly low-level spell, namely Shatter. It is of course, also succeptible to physical attacks made with adamantine or construct bane weapons or ammunition.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm glad we could come to an understanding" Krusk says to the clerk as they are getting the information.

After they leave Krusk gives Adalbert 10g for his share in the information saying "I might be new to the group but I will go in even with anything we think we need to succeed going back."
    "That golem is a beast of a thing, do we think we can get the resources together to take it down? It was on an island you said? Was there anything obvious that it was guarding? Either way, with the other golems you found around, picking up a shatter wand or scrolls would be a wise investment, who all is able to put them to use? Sadly I can't.
    I think adamantium is out of my price range as well, but I think alchemists can make oils that will mimic it for a time? I'm not sure about the construct bane though.
    I didn't faced these golems, what do you think we need to take them down, or do we just avoid them if possible?
    "

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga puts her hand on Adalbert's as he goes for his purse, and puts up the remainder of the money herself.

Her eyes glaze over a bit at the technical details. She glances at Adalbert, and Rakieth, and just shrugs. "I can hurt it. And I suppose it can still be tripped, grabbed and whatnot".

Show
    Semper ludens.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

Seeing as the clerk helped them immensely, Adalbert nods with a smiling demeanor now even though the topic is about his fallen comrades. Most helpful, my dear sir. As they leave the workshop, Adalbert's face darkens quite a bit. The fact that the thing is this insanely expensive and even information on it costs so much means it is not a mere formidable foe. The Shatter spell will certainly help, but it could be the demise of our next of kin again. It would be best to avoid it rather than go through with brute force.

We should maybe get a few enchanted arrows for Iris though. Full defense on the frontline, a Shatter spell of six and magic arrows on the backline. We should go talk to Sheila and maybe look for some psychic officials in the city records. It is an occult practice, and should not have many notable users rich enough to buy such a thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Adalbert goes to shop for a Shatter scroll, and checks availabilty on such a wand as well as looking for ways to research former and current psychics in the city.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "Okay, I think we're done here. Let's go to Shelyn's temple. I still need some healing I can't provide by myself".

Show
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Adalbert goes shopping. Doing it in a big city has the benefit that there is a wide selection of goods readily available. Adalbert does not even need to commission anything, the things are there, ready to take off the shelf.

The temple of Shelyn is open. The acolytes do not seem to bother those coming in to pray or observe the beauty, but are ready to direct those needing directions and comment on any matters of faith and suchlike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Adalbert goes to shop for a Shatter scroll, and checks availabilty on such a wand...
    These would be available at standard prices if you want them brand new. A second-hand wand with (1d4)[4]x10 charges left can be found with a DC 20 gather info check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    ...as well as looking for ways to research former and current psychics in the city.
    This would be gather info. You'll more or less easily find public figures and those who want to be found that way. About others, it is much less certain. Also, an extensive search might attract some attention.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

The elf offers an arm to each of the ladies (Lizuga and Iris) with a slightly wry smile before nodding into the nicer district of the city. "Very well, let us to the Temple of Shleyn, at the very least Lizuga we can see you recovered from your unfortunate body swapping." As Rakieth walks through the busy city he looks at both Lizuga and Iris, "How did you come to be travelling together, you do not seem the most likley of companions, along with Adalebert and you spoke of two others who fell under the lighthouse?"

He'll head to the Temple and ask if they have information on the Runelord of lust and the lighthouse as well as helping to see if any healing can be found Lizuga.

Spoiler:
    Show

Abilities
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Krusk joins Adalbert on the shopping trip.
    As Adalbert starts checking around for a psychic Krusk asks "Do you think the statue is even relatively new? From what it sounded like most of the area was long abandon by the runelord that built it. The body that Lizuga is now in was persevered, so it is hard to know how long it was there. Although the prisoner you caught couldn't have been there too long. It would definitely be interesting if anyone still alive was responsible for actively defending those ruins from others." Not that Krusk thought Adalbert might know, but just trying to get more background on what was discovered before. Following Adalbert's lead and watching for anything of note as Adalbert starts asking around.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga recoils for a moment as her new aquintance offers his arm. A torrent of anger, grief and guilt run through her as the gesture reminds her of happier days with Justin. But she reaches out her arm, hesitantly at first, then loops it through Rakieth's, and lets him lead the way. Maginamar is large and unfamiliar, and it's nie to have someone to lean on. Even if the elf probably weighs less than her armor and wepons....

At the temple, she gets the attention of one of the attendants. "I have died and come back, and need some healing for aftereffects. And we are returning to explore the ancient Thassilonean momunement in the swamp, and would like to know anything you people know about it".

Show
    Semper ludens.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

The Temple

The acolyte directs Lizuga to those higher up who can arrange solving her situation. She is diagnosed on the spot and offered two slots: one tomorrow and one a week after that. This would require donating a total of 2560 gp, but would completely solve her problem.

If she is in a hurry, they could fit one slot of greater restoration three days from now, for a donation of 5910 gp or do it from a scroll this evening for a donation of 7275 gp.

As for the the Thassilonean monunements, the city has its share of those, and so does the swamp, so what do you mean by "the"? Having been told that you've been to the Lady's Light, they say that it is an impressive piece of art, made by the order of runelord Sorshen, ruler of Eurythnia. She was a big one in the arts, but Shelyn does not approve a large part of her passions. The people associated with the temple haven't been there, so you probably know more than they do. They are, however, interesting in hearing about what's there, if you are willing to talk. Now, speaking of it, and sorry if it's too personal question... you do look quite alike to the images of Sorshen they have seen... is it a deliberate effort or a coincidence?

The City

As for Varissian psychics that are not of street variety, Adalbert learns of this one society, which has a home base quite some distance north-east from Magnimar, but also has a representative in Magnimar. Adalbert has not made a contacted just yet, but he has the coordinates.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

After finding out how things work, Lizuga pre-pays for a single casting of Restoration.
    Semper ludens.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

At the temple:

It is quite a stretch to say the least, but I have read of rededications of lesser artworks and architecture in the past. Would you be interested in hallowing the Lady's Light in Shelyn's name? The place is quite a ways off, but one way to prevent evil from happening with something is simply using it for good. Adalbert lets his thrush fly in the temple, which enjoys quite a view from up above. Despite being interested in the arcane, Shelyn always was an inspiration for me. I would like to give back to the community, and not just with donations, yet I cannot claim ownership.

At this point the halfling is just thinking aloud, maybe just trying to befriend the clerics of the Songbird, since they needed a bit more support.

In the city:

What say you? We should visit this Harrowed Society, and with a bit of luck, we find someone able to help with the golem. Worst case, it is exactly the owner if it, and he knows now whom to hunt. Dare we risk it?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Lizuga's payment is accepted and slot allocated. She is told to come in late morning tomorrow.

The project as described by Adalbert is clearly above the pay grade of the cleric handling the current interaction. He will notify the superiors of this particular idea, but dares to guess that with the only route through the swamp it would not be a popular enough site so will have too few visitors to be worth the trouble. A more convenient way to reach the site would be highly desirable. If Adalbert says he plans to visit the site again, he is highly welcome to report back after that and will have an appointment with those higher up when he would be able to confirm that the site itself is reasonable safe.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

"With Lizuga's restoration not until tomorrow I think we should follow up on whatever else we can find in Magnimar today. I'm up for a visit to the Harrowed Society. Even if they can't tell us anything specific about the construct or who might control it, they might give us some ideas to prepare for defending ourselves from them if we do run into them." Krusk says, ready to head there.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

Adalbert nods. We may want to prevent them knowing we are off the Pathfinder Society. We have a nasty reputation for being very nosy to the right people - or I guess in this case the wrong ones. Might just pretend we are interested petitioners in want of guidance. he says as he leads those willing towards the Harrowed Society.

He looks at Iris and Lizuga. I am not asking you to denigrate your faiths, but two faithful pretending to believe in fate and deific guidance needs some good argumentation. I will not push you to follow us tonight, but if you want to come, you need to be subtle. Adalbert smiles, as he believes in his friends to know what to do and hopes this would not pull up any hard feelings.