New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC 2

Rakieth Anlec

The temples visited the elf grins at mentionn of the Harrowed society and he nods at Adalbert. "Be assured, I benefit from a flexible moral compass so I can be as subtle as you need me to be..." He nods to Iris, "Probably far so more than my strait laced young lady here." Then talking back Adalbert again he inquires, "What do you have in mind for how to persuade them to let us in? "

Spoiler:
    Show

HPs 33 /33 Saves +2/8/4 (+2 Vs Enchant, +2 vs Traps)
    AC 20 (FF 20 Touch 15) Init +7 Perception +9 (11 vs traps) Darkvision 60ft/Lowlight vision

Abilities
    Inspiration 5 /5 Remaining (+1d6 on skill check, Free on Knowledge/S.motive Perception, 2 points for Saves / Attack rolls)
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War
    Stances: none active
    Body of Night (Heal ranks to Stealth, +4 to hit/+1d6 dam Vs FFooted)
    Scarlet Einhander (If one weapon fighting, +1d6 damage, +2 shield AC)
    Riven Hourglass (+4 Dodge AC/Initiative, Immune to Slow, 20% Spell Miss chance)

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)
    Sight Piercing Fang (strike)

Instead of recovering maneuvers like a standard stalker, a vigilante must open his mind to the flow of battle and the inherent patterns therein as a full-round action. When he does so, he recovers a number of expended maneuvers equal to his vigilante initiation modifier (minimum 2), gains a +4 insight bonus to his AC for one round and can move up to to his speed during the action, provoking attacks of opportunity as normal. In addition, the next attack he makes this encounter adds his sneak attack damage if it hits, regardless of whether or not the target his flanked or flat-footed. Alternately, the vigilante can center his awareness and recover a single maneuver as a standard action.

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga bobs her head pensively. "No, I'll come along. But I will let you two do the talking". She takes off her holy symbol and puts it in a pocket.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    AC 22, Touch 13, FF 20, CMD 20|Fort +4 Ref +1 Will +6|HP: 32/32
    Perception +9, Initiative +2
    Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Encouraging Roar, Kill the Wounded, Curate's Strike (heals 12 or new save), Oaken Shield (Counter +4 AC), Piercing Strike (+5' reach, attack two targets next to each other). Spoils of War stance (allies heal 4 hp if they hit).
    Semper ludens.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

"Oh, how rude! "Iris jokes with Adalbert, "I can be subtle. Water-colours have their place alongside oils."

She adjusts her clothing, tucking her glittering holy symbol inside her shirt and covering the intricate engravings that decorate her armour as best she can with her cloak and sleeves.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Disguise check (to obscure signs of faith) (1d20+12)[15] includes +5 as assuming "minor details only"

Show
    Iris of Shelyn
    F NG Human (Varisian) Inquisitor (Urban Infiltrator), Level 5, Init 7, HP 24/24, Speed 30ft
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 16, CMD 21, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 7, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    MW Composite Longbow (+2 Str) +8 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex, +1 weapon) (1d8+2, x3)
    Morningstar (two-handed) +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) (1d8+3, x2)
    Dagger +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) or ranged +7 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex) (1d4+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Mithral MW Chain Shirt Armour (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition
    *Lucky Number [4](24 hours): reroll or +2 Luck bonus if number [4] rolled
    *Adoration: immediate sanctuary (Will DC15)
    *Agent of Chance: immediate - adjacent ally can reroll a skill check

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

You pay a visit to... well, not THE Harrowed Society, it seems, but just an agent thereof. The woman in his late fourties seems quite obviously a psychic and quite obviously a clerk. Both facts made apparent by tools of the trades. The office is small enough and barely allows the woman, two of her aides, some tables and cabinets, two spare chairs, and, finally, you, all fit in. The woman gives you all a long look, then points at the chairs. "Please, sit down, ladies. Unfortunalely, I cannot offer the same to the gentlemen. What brought you to the Harrowed Society? It does not seem like you've come to enroll and study the mysteries that await those seeking them. Do you want a reading or maybe have other business?"

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage
    AC: 14/18 HP: 26/26
    touch: 14, ff: 15, CMD: 13
    Conditions: Anger +1 (Mage Armor, tenative)

Adalbert bows courteously before the seer and sees to it that his female friends sit comfortably. Now was not the time of refusing hospitability for the sake of easier access to weapons but the halfling would not contest a warrior, much less a Runelord, if they wanted to stand.

He pulls a welcoming smile and starts. I thank you Madame for the chance to bring my request forward. We are a group of travelling scholars, people who enjoy artwork, the arcane and history alike. He performs a small glitter shower with his hand, possibly impressing a commoner, but just showing off a bit of magical prowess. In our archeological digs around town, we have found the most wonderful crystal and its magical aura was peculiar. It refuses to leave the site where we found it, and its magic was like nothing we found before. We learned in the artisan's district that crystal is usually attuned to psychics, and expensive crystal is attuned to influential psychics.

Adalbert smiles and walks around the desk, if permitted. To this effect, we would like to access your records of society members long dead and gone. We would like to find a name, to whom it was attuned, so I can add it to my book. It could make your society famous, and pull your influence beyond this country. He closes in on her and his voice gets progressively more silent. Unless you don't want a mention, then we would still need a name to realize how we can remove the crystal from the site to continue our dig.

Adalbert moves back a few feet with a bow, to give the secretary time to think and space to breathe.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[2] +10 if Diplomacy, (1d20)[15] +6 if Bluff (for the white lie skirting the crystal actually being a golem)

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

The woman listens to Adalbert's speech. She seems to be both amused and annoyed. "A group of travelling scholars, indeed. Some sort of field researchers, I am sure. The sad part is that when something strange happens, it has to be us. And the less people have understanding of how the things work, the more strangeness they see everywhere around them. It is perhaps not surprising that we encounter this kind of insinuations too often for our own good, nor that we are not really in this city." The woman looks Adalbert in the eyes to see if she got the message across. "I am afraid we are not providing our confidential records to just anyone who asks. If you think you have a cese, report it up the proper channels. Anything else interests you?"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

Adalbert gets angry, and he is not sure if it is his newfound arcane powers, or just his dire need to avenge his friends. Look, LADY. Our affairs are our own, but someone dear to us DIED because an ancient psychic leader of this city, and likely a member of your society needed to post a crystal guardian there. I will not follow up with more details, because they tend to become more unbelievable than the last, but the security of your city may be compromised.

This is no forgotten realm of archmages and mighty heroes able to defend any old city like in the books. This is Golarion, and your magistrate could probably not even duel himself out of a paper bag. A standing army does nothing against this. A close town was almost raided by goblinoids because of this, and they were just the shock troops.

Adalbert realizes his doomsaying and ramblings become more and more outlandish. He sighs deeply. Can you at least point us in the direction of a person of knowledge that would WANT to help us? he accentuates his final request.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

The woman thinks for some time, then nods. "You should hand the report to the Pathfinder lodge here in the city. They are not part of the hierarchy, but they do have the ear of the Lord-Mayor herself and they investigate lots of stuff, or at least claim their will to do so. They will not necessarily bother themselves with fact-checking, but at least they can make sure your report looks both coherent and legit, and can say where to hand it to get any traction." She seems to address the other part of the problem set next. "The notion of ancient psychic leader does not sound quite right, though. "Ancient" is quite specific term here in the city. It means Thassilonian, and as far as I know, the Runelords have their own flavor of magic, distinct from what today's wizards or our society do."

She pauses for some more time. "Tell you what, if you want help from us, hand me the report, co-signed by Sheila Heidmarch, and a co-signed request for our cooperation, with all the specifics you can cram into it. I'll push it around, maybe it'll be some good. No guarantees, but somebody will read it."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

Halfheartedly Adalbert responds with a "bluff" of his own again. Ah, yes venture-captain Heidmarch, I would have never guessed to ask her! We should be off to ask her. With that, he quickly packs his things and leaves.

Once outside, Adalbert makes his anger known. Damn bureaucrats. I suggest, we should delve into Lady's Light tomorrow on our own. Sheila already told us she would not assist us in public affairs with that. Regardless, I need to smash this damn golem. The anger in his voice was palpable.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well that didn't really gain us much. You could give them some information, see if they can come up with something different than the Pathfinder Society, even if they probably have a lot of overlapping contacts. Any extra contacts we can make can come in useful later, especially if we do come back with anything big.
    It might be worth keeping an eye out as we travel around town and as we leave town to see if we've gained any additional attention.
    I guess if you have no more leads to follow up in town then we can plan to head out after Lizuga gets her restoration. I think we've got all other preparations finished?
    "

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

At the tangled interplay between the halfling and the bureaucrats Rakieth grins and nods at the others' words. "High time to head into the wilderness I'd agree," he glances at the voluptuous new form Lizuga inhabits and offers a low bow, "Of course after you are restored to your full fighting strength, but it will be good to have the feel of the open road beneath my feet once more. It has been too long since I left the city."

Spoiler:
    Show

Rakieth agrees with the plan of Restoration then head back to the lighthouse

AC 20 (FF 20 Touch 15) Init +7 Perception +9 (11 vs traps) Darkvision 60ft/Lowlight vision

Abilities
    Inspiration 5 /5 Remaining (+1d6 on skill check, Free on Knowledge/S.motive Perception, 2 points for Saves / Attack rolls)
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

Instead of recovering maneuvers like a standard stalker, a vigilante must open his mind to the flow of battle and the inherent patterns therein as a full-round action. When he does so, he recovers a number of expended maneuvers equal to his vigilante initiation modifier (minimum 2), gains a +4 insight bonus to his AC for one round and can move up to to his speed during the action, provoking attacks of opportunity as normal. In addition, the next attack he makes this encounter adds his sneak attack damage if it hits, regardless of whether or not the target his flanked or flat-footed. Alternately, the vigilante can center his awareness and recover a single maneuver as a standard action.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "Well, we did promise the Pathfinders a second chance to buy this accursed rapier. And if they won't make a god offer, I know someone else who will. Iris, here's some money for healing supplies and a little walking-around money, and a little for you as well Adalbert. And make plans to receive 4,000 gp each by tomorrow morning. And THEN we leave. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go see a man about some armor".

Lizuga hands 775 gp to Iris and 25 to Adalbert. She goes off to sell her +1 breastplate and buy +1 full plate, which should cost her 2650-675=1975.

Come the morning, she intends to sell the rapier to either the Society, or to the merchant who made a standing offer of 8,000.

Show
    Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Encouraging Roar, Kill the Wounded, Curate's Strike (heals 12 or new save), Oaken Shield (Counter +4 AC), Piercing Strike (+5' reach, attack two targets next to each other). Spoils of War stance (allies heal 4 hp if they hit).
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-12-05 at 01:55 AM.
    Semper ludens.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Buing a well-fitted full plate is a somethat tricky business even for a regular human male. Doing so for an azlanti woman is trickier still. Lizuga goes through, like, half of the relevant shops in the city before the nightfall and the best offer she gets is "100 gp to fit it, will take the whole day and you have to be present". They can make it cheaper, but it would take even more time. At least, they'll let Lizuga go and have the restoration.

Anyway, the night falls and you spend the night at the Lodge. It is comfortable enough.

In the morning, you have the offer for the rapier. Somewhat unsurprisingly, it is 8000 gp. Apparently, whoever its your real employer, they are not actually after this thing. Sheila shrugs. She can confirm that much.

Now, with Lizuga occupied more or less according to her relevant decision, what the rest of you would do?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

Knowing he has little time but at least a bit of it to dedicate himself to his new skills, Adalbert stays in the Lodge's library relearning arcane magic and writing down the Shatter spell into the loose collection of notes he calls a spellbook.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

You finish all the business in the city, which for some of you is quite a lot and for some of you is barely noticeable. You then make your way back to Lady's Light. Thanks to previously done scouting, which seems to be still largely relevant, the journey is not very eventful. There are goblins, or at least fresh footprints thereof, but they seem to have decided to leave you alone and you don't chase them either. There are also mosquitoes. These most definitely have not decided to leave you alone, but at least seem to be not more than a major nuisance.

Eventually, you make your way to the area just outside the Lady's Light. There still are, presumably...
    1. The witch.
    2. The troglodytes, through whose cave you have previously entered the complex under the huge statue.
    3. The boggards, who probably have their own cave or something, but whom you have only met in passing.
    4. The hydra maybe (you have, thankfully, not met the thing).
    5. The ancient underground complex itself, which is of most interest.

It is about noon now. What do you do?

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "I don't particularly like the troglodytes, and they don't like us, but it's better than going through the boggards". Even now, Lizuga grasps her weapon tight and spits out the word. "We are going for the lower levels, past the graveyard, and we are smashing that golem into a thousand pieces".

Show
    Semper ludens.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

After approaching the site Krusk says "Maybe we could check with the witch to see if anything noteworthy has happened since last you left, see if you disturbed anything enough to draw attention to the site. The disappearance of the prisoner you took may have been noticed. After that, the path you already know through the caves is probably the safest bet."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage
    AC: 18 HP: 26/26
    Conditions: Anger +1, Mage Armor (4h), Longstrider (5h)

Agreed. the halfling says towards the newcomer's inquiry. We talk to the witch, let her laugh at us for being foolish enough to try again and then we are off to avenge Justin. Even just saying his name made Adalbert angry. The emotionless creature crushed the young man's future and dreams, and murdered Lizuga too. She just happened to recover.

The halfling casted his rituals a bit away from the group shoring up his speed and defenses.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

During the walk Rakieth is happy to spin tales of previous wanders and adventures to his new travelling companions and then slows as he spies the lighthouse. Looking to the others he gestures, "So... is it as impressive up close as it as from over here?" he asks, then at mention of the witch he scowls. "I do not like witches, but I agree with our halifling here that it will be wise to speak with her first before seek out this creature of glass to destroy it and avenge your friend."

Spoiler:
    Show

Abilities
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

The outside of the house of the witch sports an assortment of various barrels that weren't there when you've last met her. Some are empty and seem to have been cleared recently, but all are not really new. Some are still closed and look like they have been underwater for some prolonged time not too long before now. A raven sitting on the roof caws and flies into the house as you start to approach. Soon the door is opened by a half-orc woman that some of you recognize as the witch you have dealt with before. She greets you and invites you inside where she tries to offer you some fresh stew, but those of you who ate the stew the last time are so quick to quote urgent business that the others get the idea and decide not to second-guess this reaction. Still, you say you have some short time to chat, came to say hello and all that. The witch first questions the change of the composition of your group, offers her condolences and questions why are you so insistent in coming here. She says she has been all busy looting the shipwreck and points to various jugs and semi-preserved wares that she sorts through in her house, but she does let her familiar scout around from time to time, so she has some news.

The news are as follows. The ironclad women have not been back from under the monument. In fact, no one has. The boggards, lacking this leadership, seem to be undecided about what to do and in particular whether to launch further attacks on the troglodytes. The troglodytes are in bad shape. They seem to have an internal conflict and some of them seem to have left. The rest do not control the whole cave and have barricaded in what previously was the throne room, waiting for the final attack of the boggards, which so far is not coming. The trogs have stopped feeding the hydra, so don't take any wrong turns, you have been warned.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take you down below some time this weekend.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

Having politely declined the stew Rakieth offers a low bow to the witch, the elegant gesture more suitable for a court ballroom than a squalid fishing hut. As they leave he shakes his head, "She seems quite mad, and such filth. Better leave her here to rot I suppose." Then a more cautious, "What hydra was she referring to? Was this multi-headed beast something you battled before or did you manage to sneak past?"

Spoiler:
    Show

Abilities
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

"I'm not sure we so much 'snuck past it' as we were just lucky we didn't stumble across it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolling Lucky Number spell for the day (1d20)[18]

Show
    Iris of Shelyn
    F NG Human (Varisian) Inquisitor (Urban Infiltrator), Level 5, Init 7, HP 24/24, Speed 30ft
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 16, CMD 21, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 7, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    MW Composite Longbow (+2 Str) +8 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex, +1 weapon) (1d8+2, x3)
    Dagger +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) or ranged +7 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex) (1d4+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Mithral MW Chain Shirt Armour (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition
    *Lucky Number [18](24 hours): reroll or +2 Luck bonus if number [18] rolled
    *Adoration: immediate sanctuary (Will DC15)
    *Agent of Chance: immediate - adjacent ally can reroll a skill check
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-12-17 at 01:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

The witch probably was tired of the charade anyhow pretending to be evil. Adalbert was nice to her regardless of her hostile or hospitable behavior. He profusely thanks her for her aid, and a tiny bit exaggerates this to mock her for a bit, so he knows if the info is genuine or just to get rid of them.

Seemingly content however he leaves her hut. The hydra is bad news. We want the golem first and foremost, and do not want to waste our fervor and fortitude on it. My magic should deal with any beast readily, but the lion's share of my magic was prepared for a golem fight. We should proceed apace, but try to avoid the hydra for now? Yay or nay?

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "I have no particular quarrel with the hydra. Let us continue as planned".

Show
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-12-22 at 02:39 AM.
    Semper ludens.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

You navigate to the troglodytes' cave entrance and look inside. Inside, it stinks. Those first meeting this stench might be quite impressed. Still, the entrance is not guarded and the barricade is mainly burned down or teared down. You go inside and try to follow the path you took the first time. It is not blocked or contested by the troglodytes. Some seem to be berricaded in their "throne room", but the barricade is rather unimpressive and you do not feel like checking whether the "throne room" itself is.

The white bugs seems to have grown a little, but they were not quite expecting you, so, at the suggestion of those in the know, the whole party just runs past. You climb down the rope into the silent darkness. Below, the things seem just like you left them. The sarcophagus is open and empty. The boats are where you have parked them. You take a boat and navigate to the beach where you have buried your dead. They do not seem to have been disturbed. In the dim light of multicolored motes you see the small stone island with a large glass statue on it. The statue, which is said to be the golem, seems totally motionless.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Rakieth Anlec

Rakieth looked about in curiousity as he passed through the vaulted entrance and the initial false tomb. “A thing of beauty, if only a little disturbing” he says looking about with caution as they fork to the right and look out over the low boats and the lake surface.

Pausing he spies the shadowy shape of the glass golem and wonders on its abilities and what it is, racking his memories of what he has once seen.

“Do we just take the boat out to that small platform and engage it?” He asks, as he looks out and crouches down. Moving more slowly as he tries form his body with shadows

Spoiler:
    Show

Know Arcana (1d20+10)[30] + (1d6)[2] inspiration

Abilities
    Sneak Attack +2d6
    Trapfinding +2
    Uncanny Dodge

Path of War
    Stances: Body of Night

Moves
    Hunting Serpent (strike)
    Dizzying Venom (boost)
    Flash kick (boost)
    Sun Dips Low (Counter)
    Iron Fang (strike)

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

"So that is the golem? You said it didn't attack before until you got on the island itself and then it just went back to its place after you pulled back? Do we want to test it and see how far it might go to defend itself? How far away can we be and still hit it with that shatter spell you picked up? Maybe we make a few prodding attempts to see how it reacts before we engage too heavily.
    I will take point in the fight, but given what I've heard of this thing I don't think a toe to toe fight will be the best option.
    " Krusk says after looking over the area.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood
    Halfling Mage

The wand's aim is off, but I guess it is about 30 foot, with ten additional feet for my prepared incantations with the necessary corrections. The main issue is that I could loose the woven magicks if the boat is to be tipped.

I do not think the golem swims or stays afloat, it might be impossible for it to defend itself, unless there are things to throw at us.
    Adalbert scans the area for potential throwable items. Iris, what do your....uh...Shelynite eyes see? Adalbert ribs her perceptive friend.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Rakieth looks at the golem. He could say that it is clearly a golem and not an ordinary statue even if he was not warned in advance. More than that, the dim illumination of the chamber is not a problem for the elf, so he clearly sees that it is made of glass, not of crystal. He also sees the thing is armed quite differently than he would expect from a contemporary make. They certainly could make it that way nowadays, if they wanted, but as far as Rakieth is aware, the fashion today is a bit different - more durable against hard objects, but also less sharp. There might be more differences, but none are immediately apparent.

To Iris the golem seems to be just the way she had left it, though the blood on its weapons has long dried up.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-12-28 at 12:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "We have bows and spells. It doesn't. Let's take advantage of that. ".

Show
    Semper ludens.