New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC 2

You get into a boat. Adalbert, who is with Iris in another, adjacent, boat, cuts the rope tying the boats to the island. He also pushes the boats a bit, but not much. It is not enough to get you out of reach of glass statue anytime soon, but it seems to have lost most of its interest in you even as is seems quite aware of your presence. It softly kicks Justin's body off the island. Then it does the same to his weapons, which overtake the man as they all sink. The glass statue then watches you, drifting by slowly towards the waterfall, or what else you might be doing...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga sits still, staring passively into the distance. "One moment he was there - dancing and laughing in the face of danger. The next, he was just gone. That thing scissored the life out of him. There was nothing I could do. Now he is gone, and the fish will feast on his body".

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    AC 20 (+4 counter. +2 Naturalist?), Touch 11, FF 19, CMD 17|Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +7(+2 Naturalist?))|HP: 29/31

Triage 1/4. Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield +4 AC Counter, Encouraging Roar, Armor-piercing Thrust, Curate's Strike. Spoils of War Stance.
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-05-26 at 01:28 AM.
    Semper ludens.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Iris stares too, stunned and barely able to move with any sort of initiative. The words and melody of a dirge form in her mind but she's unable to get her voice to work. Her arms move methodically on the oars as she keep the boat from getting swept away and she briefly shares a sickened look with Adalbert.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Snapping out of the shock of loosing Justin, Lebwen says "We can't let him end like that" then drops his backpack and weapons on the boat, grabs a rope, casts a spell and jumps into the water, swimming down into the water searching for Justin's body and gear to haul back up to the surface.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

cast animal aspect: otter, grants 15ft/rd swim speed, and can hold breath for 56 (4*14 con) rounds
    Which should be plenty to retrieve his body and gear, tying a rope to the body if necessary.
    I think I should be able to bring the lights with me into the water to see, I don't see anything indicating they can't go into water

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Lebwen easily swims the somewhat murky water. He has the lights to illuminate the surroundings. The illumination doesn't extend too far, but he cannot see far anyway. He finds the body soon enough and ties a rope around it. It takes a bit more time to find the weapons. By the time Lebwen is back to the surface, the boats have drifted about halfway to the waterfall.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Lebwen tosses the weapons and gear into the boat and says "Justin is tied to the rope, one of you pull his body up. Someone else hand me another rope, I'll swim to a safe shore and pull the boats over while we figure out what we want to do." After looking around for a bank they can get out at and not damage the boats in the process, Lebwen says "ok, we're heading over there, try to push and paddle the boat that way as best you can and I'll help pull with the rope" as he points towards the bank he's headed to and starts to swim that way.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Lebwen swims ashore and pulls the boats by the rope. Now that you illuminate the sandy beach (or however these things are called insinde the caves), you see two seven-foot-long mounds in its southernmost part. There are two large oval steel shields on these mounds leaning against the southern wall. One of the shields is badly damaged by what seems to have been a mighty blow by something slashing. There is a closed door leading west out of the beach.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Iris does her best to drag the poor lad's body up to the beach. Faced with the evidence of others presumably suffering the same fate as poor Justin she can only wish they'd noticed this earlier.

She quickly checks the area and then says to the others, "Shall we bury him here alongside these poor souls? Seems he's not the first, let's hope he is the last". She softly sings a farewell as they work.

Spoiler: spells, actions & rolls
    Show
    Detect evil on graves
    Detect magic on graves and door
    Cast guidance
    Perception (1d20+11)[27]
    Cast guidance again

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga grabs a shield and starts digging out a trench, more than happy to have something to occupy herself with. She gingerly picks up Justin and lays him down with a tender kiss on the cheek.

She quickly grabs any jewelry or keepsakes he was fond of. Then, she takes his two enchanted blades. "He won't need these in the fields of Elysium, but they might save our lives and help his family once we get back".

She waits for any of the others to say their piece before burying Justin on the nameless beach.

"Lebwen, thank you for bringing him back for a proper burial. I can't believe he is gone. And I couldn't bear the though om him becoming fish food".

Show
    AC 20 (+4 counter. +2 Naturalist?), Touch 11, FF 19, CMD 17|Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +7(+2 Naturalist?))|HP: 29/31

Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield +4 AC Counter, Encouraging Roar, Armor-piercing Thrust, Curate's Strike. Spoils of War Stance.
    Semper ludens.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

Adalbert staggers from the boat, his face pale and drawn as he looks at Lebwen dragging Justin's limp body with him. He nods, echoing Lizuga's words and reaching out to hold Justin's cold dead hand. As he looks around cave and at the beach and the door he looks at the graves and door with interest for any markings that may help them. Then he nods "This cave is a place of marvel, of ancient magics from long dead Thassilon. I think Justin would like to be buried i somewhere adventurous." The little halfling offers to help Lizuga and Lebwen as they dig the grave for Justin and gently lower him in.

As they bury Justin and push in one of his (nonmagic) shortswords to mark his warriors grave Adalbert looks around, a nervous look on his face. "Alas Justin, my friend. We barely knew you, it was cruel fate to die in such a marvel such as this..." Looking down at the grave he coughs to clear his throat and begins to sing a sad song of mourning, and as the last notes die down echoing off the walls he touches the blade and with a hint of magic sets it flickering with light shimmering purple butterflies that flutter for a few seconds before fading away, reminiscent of the Swallowtail festival were they had met.

With the small funeral over he looks about the others, and nods to the door, "We must know what lies in here, the secrets this place could hold are ancient and vast. He would have wanted it." Walking towards the door he examines it carefully for magic and any clues or traps as to how to open it.

Spoiler:
    Show

Perform check (1d20+9)[20]
    Knowledge check on the shields and any markings (1d20)[12] +12 History/+10 arcana/+8 nature /+5 Planes or Religion / +4 Bardic "anything else"

Detect Magic on the door
    Perception to look for traps (1d20+11)[19]

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:
    1st: 6/7
    2nd:4/4

Conditions
    Mage Armour 120 minutes left

Last edited by DrK; 2021-06-04 at 05:00 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

You bury the still warm Justin's corpse in the sand just above the water level next to what presumably are two other corpses of the same fate. Both shields on their graves bear the same symbol which Adalbert recognizes. It is well-known Thassilonian symbol of lust. Well-known at the time, at least. There seems to be no evil and no magic in the graves. The perimeter of the metal door is decorated with an ornament of intertwined humans and serpents none of which has any clothes. The center of the door looks like a polished mirror featuring, whether surprisingly or not, the Thassilonian symbol of lust engraved in very thin lines. The door is closed and has a handle, but you see no signs of either locks or traps.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "Right, girl. Work to be done. Grieving doesn't churn the butter". As Adalbert finishes his inspection of the door, Lizuga marches up to it. She wipes her eyes on her sleeve, clears her throat, and grasps the handle to open the door. [/B].

Show

Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield +4 AC Counter, Encouraging Roar, Armor-piercing Thrust, Curate's Strike. Spoils of War Stance.
    Semper ludens.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

The door does not zap, bite or anything. Beyond it is an about 35x25 feet slightly rounded room which lacks any illumination. It does not take long for Lebwen to bring the dancing lights there and you see that the walls of the room are covered by detailed murals depicting wanton acts involving otherworldly beings of every description. The murals cover every vertical surface, but stop abruptly after turning down the hallway to the south, as though abandoned by the artist. The way leading south very quickly turns west, so you don't see much of anything beyond this one room.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga....stops. And blushes. She squares up her shoulders and walks quickly ahead, her eyes fixed straight ahead.
    Semper ludens.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=DrK;25073440]
    Adalbert Hornwood

The little halfling scurries in after Lizuga and pauses looking at the murals, although rather than blushing he grins. "Fascinating. My words, the carving, the details. You see here..." he points to on with a sinuous snake like creature and.... "The detailing is immense and the creatures there." he waves Lizuga over, and Lebwen and Iris, seemingly uncaring of the raunchy nature of the carvings. "See, here, it has captured the marillith in perfect detail. I would have loved to meet this sculptor, well, evil bent not withstanding. I wonder why he stopped..." he adds at the end following Lizuga to the exit where the pathway leads and peering down it. Muttering a cantrip he summons a set of dancing multi coloured orbs to shed some light for he and Lizuga joining the lights already summoned by Lebwen.

His eyes alight with joy, that flaters as he looks around the room and then adds with wry grin, "PoorJustin, he woulnd't even have known where to look in here."

Spoiler:
    Show

Knowledge check on the shields and any markings (1d20)[4] +12 History/+10 arcana/+8 nature /+5 Planes or Religion / +4 Bardic "anything else"
    Detect Magic on the door
    Perception to look for things of interest (1d20+11)[22]

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Studying the murals, Adalbert sees, in more than one place, what seems to be the artist's signature. It reads "Amivadeus Yasrin". Adalbert does not know of this person, but maybe he could be read - or written - about. The quality of the work would surely warrant that.

While Adalbert so examines the art, Lizuga continues quickly ahead, into the darkness illuminated only by Lebwen's dancing lights. The passage makes an U-turn for some reason and then ends in a locked iron grating blocking the way into the room beyond. While Lizuga stands before the locked grating, a man(?) emerges from the darkness of the room, entering the area illuminated by the dancing lights. "Greetings, friends or foes," he says with an almost otherworldly calm. "Which be you? I'll open the gate for you myself if you be the former, but fear I must prevent your passage if you be the latter. Would you speak the pass phrase for me?"

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Iris too spends some time with Adalbert inspecting the artworks, more interested in the craftsmanship and any implied messaging than the face value explicit images. Eventually she taps him on the shoulder "Come, we should catch up. Who knows what priceless relics those other two might be defacing" she jokes.

Hustling along, she slows her steps as she sees Lizuga and Lebwen facing off in the negotiation with the stranger. Slowly approaching she casts her eyes about for any tricks, traps or other signs of deceit.

"Pray, how long have you guarded this gate? Your foes may be long gone, your burden lifted. We have seen no one else down here."

Spoiler: some rolls
    Show
    stalling a bit till we have more info

Sense Motive (1d20+12)[25]
    Perception (1d20+10)[22]
    Knowledge (what is he?) (1d20+5)[24] (local, planes, religion),
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[8]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

Adalbert had been enjoying the murals with Iris before he hears the sounds of something around the corner. Nodding, he grins at the tall lady, "We don't want Mistress Lizuga causing any trouble now do we?" he mutters, a longing glance at he murals as he itches to take some rubbings of them back to some of his old professors to see what they would make of them.

As he see's the strange albino he pauses, "Ah my fine fellow. How would you come to be locked in there? I'm sure we will not know the pass phrase but if you've been here for a while an insight what lies within would be most enlightening."

Spoiler:
    Show

Know check for what manner of creaure he is (1d20)[9] + 10 arcana/ 8 nature / 5 religion & planes / 4 everything else

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris has an impression that the artist was not a huge fan of decadence as depicted and was willing to suggest that much to a keen observer, but she'd definitely need time to have more than her general impression if she would be to explain that conclusion to anyone else.

When Iris sees the man, she's pretty certain he's not ordinary human. Her best guess (and she places a high confidence in it) is that the man is a dhampir. As for the room he's in, the stone walls, floor, and ceiling are polished to an almost mirrorlike sheen. The arching ceiling is supported by twin rows of columns, all of which have been carved to resemble the same beautiful woman dressed in revealing robes. Iris does not see anyone else in the hall, but the far side is now rather dark.

"How long, you say? Long enough to get bored, but not long enough to get mad. I have my orders and I'll let you know that the person issuing them is alive and well, so I'm afraid you'll get no further enlightenment here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Does not seem to be lying and seems confident.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "I don't suppose the password is.... let us in, or we turn back and kill your boss in the sarcophagus where she lies sleeping?". Intimidate - (1d20-2)[12]

Show

Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

The halfling looks at the pale man and shrugs, "I'm minded of an old adage that you we aren't trapped down here with you, you are in fact trapped down here with us. If you step aside we can pass by and continue to explore this place. You are welcome to stay or go as you see fit." He looks to Lizuga and Lebwen, a whispered "Keep an eye on him" as the plucky halfling approaches the gate to look at the lock, a hand pulling out a selection of strangely curved wires and picks and files from his belt pouch.

Spoiler:
    Show

Perception (1d20+11)[28]
    Disable device if needed (1d20+14)[23]

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

"Really, no, the password is not that. But you do get bonus torture points for mentioning it."

Adalbert takes his lockpicks.

"I think I have no choice but to stop you." The man says. He then casts a spell for no apparent effect.

Adalbert tries to pick the lock, but this one seems good enough, so the task is not easy.

Spoiler
    Show
    We'll be counting rounds from now on even though the man is not actually attacking.
    You can attempt to identify which spell he has cast.
    Each picking attempt is a full-round action.

=> Everyone who's not Adalbert

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Lebwen watches the man closely, trying to figure out what he was casting.

spellcraft
    (1d20+11)[31]

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Without further ado, Lizuga stapes up to the bars and thrusts her long hammer at the guardin, hoping to impale him on the spiked tip. Touch - (1d20+8)[10], piercing - (1d12+5)[16]

Show
    AC 20 (+4 counter), Touch 11, FF 19, CMD 17|Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +7|HP: 29/31

Semper ludens.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

"Hold it there, don't do anything stupid now. Drop your weapons we just want to pass through here."

Spoiler: rolls etc
    Show
    Readied attack: bow (1d20+9)[28] (+3 BAB, +4 Dex, +1 weapon, +1 point blank shot) damage (1d8+3)[10]

I know, I should just attack. Still one last chance for him Readied un case he does anything hostile.

Iris of Shelyn
    F NG Human (Varisian) Inquisitor (Urban Infiltrator), Level 4, Init 7, HP 21 + 12 temp/21, Speed 30ft
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 16, CMD 21, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 7, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    MW Composite Longbow (+2 Str) +8 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex, +1 weapon) (1d8+2, x3)
    Morningstar (two-handed) +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) (1d8+3, x2)
    Dagger +5 (+3 BAB, +2 Str) or ranged +7 (+3 BAB, +4 Dex) (1d4+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Mithral MW Chain Shirt Armour (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition
    *Lucky Number [4](24 hours): reroll or +2 Luck bonus if number [4] rolled
    *Adoration: immediate sanctuary (Will DC13)
    *Agent of Chance: immediate - adjacent ally can reroll a skill check
    *Spoils of War Stance (Lizuga): Allies within 30' heal 4 hp when they hit with an attack (once per round).
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-06-15 at 06:01 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

After Lizuga's attack, the man tilts his head, steps back out of reach of the hammer, casts a spell and disappears.

Spoiler
    Show
    For future reference: the grating provides cover against melee attacks, but not against ranged attacks with projectiles of typical size.
    I'll leave it up to Iris to decide if this seemed hostile enough.

=> Party

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

Adalbert looks up as the man disappears, "Ah, a sorcerer, keep an eye out for him while I try and get this open..." then he looks back down to the lock muttering, "This is just like that time in Magnimar, that pie shop didn't open itself did it eh..." he mutters trying to encourage himself.

Spoiler:
    Show

Disable device if needed (1d20+14)[23]

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "May the light of Sarenrae protect us!", Lizuga declaims melodramatically, and a golden glow settles on herself and her allies, most importantly Adalbert.

"Thanks, Lady", she prays silently. "I know I haven't been right on the path today. But these are good people. Thank you for letting me keep them alive".

12 Temp HP for allies within 30'.

Show
    AC 20 (+4 counter), Touch 11, FF 19, CMD 17|Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +7|HP: 29+12/31

Semper ludens.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Iris let's out an uncharacteristic curse as the man disappears. Keeping her arrow knocked Iris scans the area looking for any signs of the magically-cloaked individual.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I won't take the readied action.

Detect magic, looking for signs of the presumed invisibility aura if he's sneaking about. Ensuring that the scan covers the area around Adalbert as he works on the gate.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Lebwen moves closer to cover Adalbert's back and keeps an eye and ear out for any indication of where the sorcerer went.
    "We've got you, just worry about the lock" Lebwen says to Adalbert as he moves closer.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

perception
    (1d20+4)[8]

Sorry I haven't been posting much. It's been busy at work to just not doing much online when I have some free time and time passing a lot faster than I realize.