New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC 2

Adalbert Hornwood

Adalbert curses under his breath as Lebwen curls up over the rapier and slumps to the stone floor. ”Lizuga, hit him, I’ll get Lebwen. Iris can you help…” he shouts before darting forwards he pulls out a potion from his bandolier and hastily pours it onto the deep wounds.

Spoiler:
    Show

Move forward pulling a CLW potion
    Pour it on Lebwen’ wound (1d8+1)[2]

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:
    1st: 5/7
    2nd:3/4

Conditions
    Mage Armour 120 minutes left

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Lizuga whacks the man for solid 15 damage and brings herself to full health. Adalbert rushes to help Lebwen and pours the contents of a healing potion on him only to find that it is not enough to restore the man's consciousness. Still, Adalbert feels pretty certain he won't bleed to death now... provided no more attacks will be coming, which seems increasingly more problematic as the combat shifts back closer to Lebwen. The white-haired man, under constant barrage of arrows from Iris, and even hit by one more of them, just steps in between Lizuga and Lebwen, casts a spell and attacks them both, in sequence. Lizuga is pierced by a thrust through her left upper arm, which would not be too bad on itself, but, unfortunately that was not the case. A powerful electric jolt passes through her body, causing the heart to momentarily stop. The woman falls unconscious onto the floor and is then pierced through the neck, cutting the carotid artery open. Then the man then turns to do the same to Lebwen. Both Lebwen and Lizuga suffer rapid loss of blood for a few moments, after which the remaining of you can only conclude they are dead, or too far on that way to be helped.

Spoiler
    Show
    Longbow (1d20+7)[24] damage (1d8+3)[8] miss 1-50 (1d100)[68]
    Longbow (1d20+7)[10] damage (1d8+3)[11] miss 1-50 (1d100)[21]

Concentration: (1d20+10)[25]
    Rapier (1d20+14)[24] for (1d6+7)[9] and (5d6)[25] shock
    Rapier (1d20+11)[31] for (1d6+7)[8] confirm (1d20+11)[30] for (1d6+7)[10]
    Rapier (1d20+6)[25] for (1d6+7)[13]

Lizuga is at -21 hit points and is dead.
    Lebwen is at -14 hit point and is dead.

=> Adalbert and Iris

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

Adalbert pales as the glittering rapier slides into Lizuga and Lebwen and they both drop, eyes meeting Lizuga's just for a second he see's the light fade and panics. "Iris, we have to go, its too late for them, we can't do anything else for them..." he scurries back through the gate in in a panic calling upon his fey roots as the moss, lichens and algaes on the walls and the cracks hear his call and swiftly expand, trendrils and phylae seeking to envelop and grasp the terrifying sorcerer attacking them!

Spoiler:
    Show

Move 30ft back
    Cast entangle to cover the entire room up to where Iris is standing (up to row BF)

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Iris pales as she grasps for her healing wand, muttering "We can save them.....we can still save them...." even as the futility dawns on her. With Adalbert's magic causing the lichen and algae growths to writhe about covering their escape she takes one last sad look and turns, hustling the wee halfling ahead of her as they retreat back from the deadly man.

Spoiler: Effects
    Show
    *Lucky Number [4](24 hours): reroll or +2 Luck bonus if number [4] rolled
    *Adoration: immediate sanctuary (Will DC13)
    *Agent of Chance: immediate - adjacent ally can reroll a skill check

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

You leave the man and hurry up to the boat. You do not seem to be chased. As you push the boat off the beach, you hear the steel grate slamming shut. Iris, carefully avoiding deep areas, pushes the boat back to the beach where you have originally found it. You disembark and... drag the boat onshore? Then intend to go to the dark shaft to climb the rope up?

Suddenly, you hear some unfamiliar female voice yelling "Hello?" from the direction you would be heading.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

Adalbert skids to a halt as they scramble out of the boat and pause for a second on the small beach. ”Oh Iris, I’m so sorry I could not save for them. We will come back for them Iris, we just need to find some help.”

At the shout from above he stares up at the shaft, a look of worry. “oh, hello, who is that? Who are you?” he shouts up at the shaft

Spoiler:
    Show

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

"A friend, Master Adalbert. Lost and confused, alive by the grace of Merciful Sarenrae. Let me help you up, so I can explain." is heard from behind the darkness. Whoever that is, she seems willing to pull the rope up, but not before you hang onto it. Will you let her?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

"That's unexpected, what a relief...." utters Iris, "Oh, wait..." under her breath as her suspicions cut through .

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20-12)[4] sorry should be +12 mod, so 28 less any penalties for no line of sight
    Detect evil 60ft
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-08-04 at 05:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris does not recognize the voice, but does not feel it is bluffing. How that adds together here and now she could only guess.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops, sorry for the delay. Forgot it's on me.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

Adalbert looks up and then shrugs helplessly. "My thanks kind stranger, await just a moment," he shouts as he grabs hold of the rope and puts his foot into the loop at the bottom. "I'll climb as best I can but any help would be appreciated" he shouts back up, before looking up at the shroud of darkness that occluded the entranceway.

With a wink at Iris he calls "Wish me luck" and starts scrambling up the wall.

Spoiler:
    Show

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

"Have a care, Adalbert. But know that Shelyn watches over you"

Spoiler: cast guidance
    Show
    Cast guidance on Adalbert.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-08-07 at 06:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Adalbert is helped to rope up to the top where he is greeted by none other than Runelord Sorshen. Or, more likely, her clone the party saw earlier today, as the outfit and the jevelry perfectly match what you've seen on the body lying in the sarcophagus.

"It's me, Lizuga. I don't know how, but it is. I don't know about Lebwen, but I woke up in that sarcophagus. And now you know everything I know."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

Adalbert pauses, looking her up and down, a catch in his throat. "How can that be? You've changed, you look, well, impressive." Considering he shouts down to Iris, "Its safe, I think, come up."

Adalbert pauses, carefully not going within reach of the imposing brunette women in the strange finery. "You'll pardon my hesitancy, but its an odd situation. Maybe you could answer me a question. What inn did we first meet in when we were in Sandpoint?"

Spoiler:
    Show

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

The woman responds: "Well, I first met you at the town gate. I looked terrible after the fight with the goblins. Then we went to the Rusty Dragon"

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Hearing the muted voices above and the call from Adalbert to ascend, Iris grabs the rope and starts to climb up to join him and the 'stranger'.

Spoiler: Climb
    Show
    Climb (if needed) (1d20+1)[20]

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

At the answer the halfling breathes a heavy sigh of relief and then jumps forward, cuddling the strange woman he now knows he does know after all. "I don't know how you've come to steal this body but we are relieved you have." He looks back to Iris as she emerges and at the new Lizuga. "How do you feel in your new body? Is it different? Can you fight? Poor Lebwen's body and yours I guess are still down there and we shouldn't leave them in such a state"

He pauses, "I hope that Dhamphir will have expended much of his power, but I'm not sure?" He looks at Lizuga quizzically as he considers the time that has passed.

Spoiler:
    Show

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "Master Adalbert, I...". She trails off. "I don't know how this happened. I remember noticing that this body was alive when we passed it. But to answer the more pressing question, I feel like I can fight. I feel stronger than I look. Buuut, these clothes were not made for fighting. I think I need a few minutes to get my bearings before I'm ready for a fight".

The woman claiming to be Lizuga falls silent, and bites her lip pensively in a familiar gesture. "And to think i wanted to murder this body. Just as I wanted to mercilessly slaughter the boggards for their egg-smashing. Sweet merciful Sarenrae, it feels like you are teaching me today. But please, please, don't let my friends' death be my fault".

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    AC 12, Touch 12, FF 10, CMD 19|Fort +6 Ref +3 Will +8|HP: 35

Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield +4 AC Counter, Encouraging Roar, Armor-piercing Thrust, Curate's Strike. Spoils of War stance.
    Semper ludens.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

"My goodness....what? How?" Iris clambers up and then stands, stunned as the woman claiming to be Lizuga explains herself.

Eventually she notices the familiar mannerisms in her thought-to-be-lost companion, and rushes forward to embrace her. "I don't understand how, but thank the gods that all is not lost".

Spoiler: buffs
    Show
    If we're going back down for revenge vs the dhampir Iris will bless the group and divine favour herself.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga hugs Iris long and hard. "It has been such a day. I'm so confused. When we get out of here, I really need a long chat to get your perspective". She wipes her eyes and nose on an expensive silk sleeve and toughens up.

She leads the party back to the enclosure. As they approach, she calls out: "My faithful servant! Lay down your arms and come foth!". Bluff - (1d20-1)[10]

Show

Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Encouraging Roar, Staunching Strike, Curate's Strike, Dismiss. Spoils of War stance.
    Semper ludens.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

"Mistress?!" The man, separated from you by the closed grating, seems shocked. "What happened? Do they hold you hostage?"

He approaches the grating and begins to unlock it. You notice that he neither draws nor lays down his rapier, which is still in the scabbard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive (1d20)[3]

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    "All will be explained". While the guard unlocks the door, Lizuga takes the opportunity to assess his condition (using Medic's Training). Heal - (1d20+11)[27].

Show

Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Encouraging Roar, Staunching Strike, Curate's Strike, Dismiss. Spoils of War stance.
    Semper ludens.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

The man unlocks the grating, opens it, and seems ready co close it back right behind his "mistress"...

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga blasts the man with a surprise burst of golden light. Looking around the room, her xtended hand starts to shake.

Surprise action: Dismiss, ranged touch - (1d20+7)[19], Non-lethal - (1d6+4)[6]. On a hit, Trip and Bull Rush: (1d20+10)[12]

Show

Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-08-14 at 07:50 AM.
    Semper ludens.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

The man is knocked out by this unexpected violence. The scene is otherwise as you left it, only with larger pools of blood under and around the dead bodies of Lizuga and Lebwen. Well, and it is a new experience for Lizuga to look at a dead body of herself...

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

As Lizuga casually knocks him out Adalbert breathes a sigh of relief. ”Well done, but poor Lebwen.” He mutters as he approaches Lebwen’s body and kneels down to offer a brief prayer to the Lady of Dreams.

Looking at the downed magi he licks the rapier away and remove the man’s spell pouch and any other magical accoutrements as he examines the man with his eyes attuned to magical aura. ”Shall we gather up Lebwen and take him back to town or shall we bury him by Justin?” This place is too dangerous, we need some more aid before delve further in. Our prisoner here may be able to help us.”

Spoiler:
    Show

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions
    Mage Armour 90 minutes left

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga is strictly practical. "Alright. Iris, tie him up please, he's unconscious but not dead. Then help me with my armor. Master Adalbert, I would appreciate it if you would focus *all* of your attention on the magic thingies for a few minutes".

A few minutes later, armed and armored once again, Lizuga takes a deep breath. "Adalbert, do you have a cleaning spell ready? This armor smells.... odd, somehow".

"I suppose we should bury Lebwen and.. me... next to Justin. I don't know if Lebwen had any family or loved ones. If we are coming back with reinforcements, I suppose we could use his equipment to pay for it".

Show

Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-08-16 at 01:56 AM.
    Semper ludens.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

Still slightly intimidated by the new Lizuga the little Halfling nods and offers a hand to Lizuga, the cantrip cleaning the armour and releasing a faint minty smell as the presdigitation washes away the grime and copious amounts of blood.

”What now Lizuga? Do we interrogate the prisoner and we can bury poor Lebwen, I hope there isn’t too much more dangerous things in here, my spells seem less helpful here than when I fought the goblins.”

Spoiler:
    Show

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Checking the room for the loot and magic auras reveals some of both, mostly coinciding together, but there is some loot without auras and one aura without loot... that is, depending on the definition of "loot" one would be using. The man's rapier definitely stands out, but is not only one thing worthy of consideration.

Also, welcome to level 5!

Spoiler
    Show
    Loot:
    1. Magical mithral rapier (I'll want you to roll to identify this as usual and also roll some legend lore maybe)
    2. Masterwork composite longbow for STR 16 with 20 arrows
    3. Cloak of resistance +1
    4. Wand of detect secret doors (11 charges)
    5. Spell component pouch
    6. Backpack
    7. One week of rations and water
    8. Spellbook with: displacement, vampiric touch, bear's endurance, bull's strength, invisibility, scorching ray, spider climb, burning hands, chill touch,
    magic missile, shield, shocking grasp, dancing lights, detect magic, mage hand, prestidigitation, ray of frost

Other auras:
    9. An aura on the man you have knocked out (moderate strength; school to be identified)

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert Hornwood

Picking up the mithral rapier Adalbert whistles, "Wow... what a thing of beauty. It has the feel of something impressive" he grins and offers Lizuga a low bow before flourishing it and presenting it her hilt first. "You have saved us, it should be yours" he offers.

Kneeling by Lebwen's body he shakes his head once more. "Once we have buried poor Leb' shall we return to Magnimar, we will need more strong sword arms I fear before we plunge into the further depths."

Spoiler:
    Show

Knowledge check (1d20)[2] +7 spellcract / +10 arcana/ +12 history as appropriate

HPs 24 / 24
    Saves + 3 / 5 / 5

Spells:

Conditions

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    Lizuga takes the rapier from Adalbert, and makes a few swishes through the air. Then she bundles it up with the man's bow, Lebwen's sword, and the other spare weapons she carries. She tuts at her pack, and dumps out a bundle of throwing spears, and picks up the two spellbooks to balance the load. She also puts on Lebwen's magical ring, and hands his wand over to Adalbert.

"I guess I'm dragging Lebwen and.. me. Let's leave this place and come back stronger".

Show
    AC 22, Touch 13, FF 20, CMD 20|Fort +4 Ref +1 Will +6|HP: 32/32

Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-08-18 at 05:48 AM.
    Semper ludens.