New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [Worldbuilding Game] Captain's Log

Hey there, worldbuilders!

It's been a while since I have seen one of those crazy game-like worldbuilding threads, so here it is:

Let's build a universe, one ship log at a time!

Captain's Log

Rules are:
    In every post, you can take single action:
    • Create a New Ship Log
    • Continue Old Log

In any case, you have to state following:
    • Ship Name & Designation (type/series/specific ship ID)
    • Current Ship Location
    • Date
    • Name of Character (can be any member of crew)
    • Misc (where was the log found, in what circumstances, form...)

If you create a new ship log, please state so.
    If you continue a log, please copy the whole thing from previous poster using quotes.
    Feel free to go forwards, backwards, from different viewpoints...
    No large images please!

Ship Name: The Good Intent
    Designation: L-Class Scientific Vessel, Refurbished Calypso Far Trader; ID 39-7AA-F92
    Current Ship Location: Sector Theta Epsylon 23, Madeira System
    Name: Ship Captain Janka O'Rielly-Darachkin

Captain's Log, Date: 13th January 5323, 16:05 ET (2:01 AM of Local Time)
    We arrived to sector Theta Epsylon 23 yesterday, in the evening and continued to rendezvous point with Soul Pilgrim as agreed. According to our plan, we arrived 4 hours earlier, but given the distance we arrived from the planet which Pilgrim orbits, we'll most probably be late. Our navigator, Alair McDrazzik managed to pull us out of hyperspace on the other side of the system, beyond the asteroid belt, so we have a long trip ahead of us.
    His explanation had to do with the black hole just few parsecs away - and safety of the crew is my top priority. Madeira is unoccupied, so we'll have to refuel at the gas giant before leaving for for our next goal, the derelict in Spahia system, but Pilgrim has priority. The data collected from the planet needs to be analysed.
    The strange thing is, we tried contacting them. Communications state there is no response, but that it may be due to the interference - after all, the signals from the planet were major point why we were sent here.
    In few hours we should have direct LOS to the station and therefore be able to contact them via the link. Until then, I'll be reading in the observation deck - it's been a long haul from Andromeda and dodging the separatist vessels in last two systems proved to be enough even for me. Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe it's just the lack of sleep.
    ===
    Damnit. Just got a call through intercom. No sleep, no books. We are getting an automatic distress signal. It's from the Pilgrim.

Misc: The log can be found in captain's quarters, in her computer. The computer is out of power, but still working. It's the last message stored and synced.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: [Worldbuilding Game] Captain's Log

IN 1C87E3E, His Imperial Highness' Warship Duke Alhamid, Patrol Cruiser.

On patrol Keterra Subsector.

Captain's Log:

The alien data array from Cenalda IV is still largely untranslated, but Commander Eudell deciphered a starmap which gave us coordinates to the Shura Delmat system.

To my knowledge the system has never been explored by the Empire. If it has, I do not doubt that the previous explorers had the same luck we had upon entering the system.

Our best guess, from the archaeological evidence, is that the Cenaldans were a starfaring race which occupied half a dozen star systems during the period which coincides with the height of the Empire of the Ancients. Shura Delmat appears to have been a naval construction center.

We now believe they were exterminated by the Ancients. At least sixty vessels were trapped here, as we are now, by a pair of small vessels which have a weapon capable of suppressing fusion reactions. Our main battery was nullified by their shielding, and our secondaries appeared to be absorbed. When we tried to activate our jump drive and escape the system the fusion suppression beam shut down our engines.

We now have no fuel and no power. My engineers are working on a trap. We plan to board one of those Ancient vessels and either shut it down or use it to destroy its mate.

Captain Norehta

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ship Name: The Monad's Mercy
    Designation: Eye-class Church vessel
    Current Ship Location: Aerula V, Alyar System
    Name: Reverend-Captain Warren Johnson
    Praise the Monad! We have just reached Aerula V, home of the separatist Supremacy. These religious differences have divided humans for too long. We all worship the Monad, praise his holiness, and so we should all be united as one holy nation. Me and my crew have come to the planet to try and convince the Lord-Supreme, son of the Emperor though he is, to reunite with his father and join him once again. I can only pray our mission succeeds, for having to fight a war against separatists and aliens might be too much for us fleshy mortals.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Monad's Mercy
    Show

Praise the Monad! We have just reached Aerula V, home of the separatist Supremacy. These religious differences have divided humans for too long. We all worship the Monad, praise his holiness, and so we should all be united as one holy nation. Me and my crew have come to the planet to try and convince the Lord-Supreme, son of the Emperor though he is, to reunite with his father and join him once again. I can only pray our mission succeeds, for having to fight a war against separatists and aliens might be too much for us fleshy mortals.

Name: Chaplain-Lt.Commander Osiris Johnson
    To hell with them all! I wish my friends did not send me here, back to my "family", to spy on them! And now this! A "peace talks"! I do not wish for peace, and neither does the Supremacy. Monad be damned, it seems I will have to do whatever it takes to sabotage this unholy union. And shall the Lord-Supreme turn out to be a weak link, he shall be eradicated.
    That will show the damn cultists. I only fear that my hands will tremble and my father will be able to stop me before I strike. For now, I need to seem like a good part of the herd - and that is becoming really hard.
    It pains me to see this ship, a former combat vessel, to be full of these crazies. I'd rather take it to combat against the aliens, and I know many of the crew just wish for the same. I do not wish for another war, but I do not like to crawl on my knees.
    If I fail and you find this message, you know what to do. The code is 223-A00F-O12AMAMN33.
    Misc: Heavily encrypted datachip can be found hidden in O. Johnson's room, behind the grill of air conditioning.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Kλthar script not supported by user interface. Partial translation and terranization courtesy of XenoUltraUTM linguimeme v. 3.4.6.

Ship Name: KSS Kaλtæ Ӂҥdar1
    Designation: Kλthari Hałłθn-Class2
    Current Ship Location: Fides, Human Sector, Kλthari System3
    Name: Captain Ximena Colomoxca
    We entered the atmosphere of Fides at approximately 17:34 GMT. Metaphorical atmosphere seems tense; we weren’t the only ships recalled. Incidents of anti-Terran attacks have risen by an unprecendented 346% rate after Governor Carson opened spaceports to Orthodox Monadist refugees.

Lieutenant Њfœ tells me that sympathies towards the Separatists from Kλthars is high. They see the Supremacy as a symbol of defiance against Terran oppression. The fact that Separatist forces have chosen only to proselytize instead of forcing conversions, unlike many members of the Orthodox foreign clergy, has not helped matters. While the confederations of the Kλthari system all remain officially neutral, this will almost certainly not last.

Spoiler: Access XenoUltra Premium Content?
    Show

Premium implants confirmed. You may proceed.
    Spoiler: Accessing...
    Show

Press underlined words to access further informational hallucinations from Wikipedia.

1 Kaλtæ is a color on the Jekro-Thar spectrum, visible only to those with Chang-Emerson visual organs or similar optical implants. Read more...

Ӂҥdar is a large unicellular predator native to the Kλthari system, specifically the planets of Abudantia and Fides in the Human Sector. Like all organisms native to the system, it is arsenic-based. Read more...

2The Hałłθn-Class of starships was first conceived by ethnic Djåλ designers on Ҝҵnit (commonly known in Terran languages as Volturnus) as a vessel accessible to both hydrogen and oxygen breathing organisms. While it is not the first or only one of its kind, it is the dominant model in almost all Kλthari sectors. Read more...

3The Kλthari system is a planet system revolving around the star , commonly known in the Terran languages as Serapis. It was one of the first systems discovered by human hyperspace pioneers during the Initial Colonial Period of Terran exploration. Read more...

Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2021-01-24 at 06:14 PM.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Union Star Ship Beagle
    Class III Exploratory Vessel
    Captain Led Uriah

Captain's Log:
    The coordinates found in the buoy left in the Ognoc System by the crew of the 'Slower Than C' lead us to 'Dawnworld.' At least, that's the name given in the buoy database which they placed in orbit here almost two thousand years ago. There is a second buoy in orbit of a Jovian planet which the astrodynamics team plans to retrieve after their survey of the outer system, assuming the cargo bay of the pinnace is large enough to hold it.

Following our discovery of the first buoy two years ago and the subsequent approval from Fleet Command to track one of humanity's early colonization efforts, I anticipated a lot of different scenarios. I never anticipated Dawnworld.

According to the data left in the orbital buoy, Dawnworld was a rather ordinary terrestrial world in the habitable zone of G2 star. It is volcanically active, has one modest-sized moon and a captured asteroid Mr. Dranyer assures me will be hurled out of orbit in another ten thousand years on a course which in the next million years will become hyperbolic. To the astro-team it was the most fascinating thing in the system.

For the rest of the crew, myself included, Dawnworld itself takes that honor.

The buoy records show a nitrogen/CO2/water vapor atmosphere and a world-ocean heavy in calcium and suspended silicates. We found a planet which had been seeded with diatomaceous algae and other terrestrial life forms, and which was now well on its way to becoming a second Earth.

At this time, caustic rain and12% atmospheric carbon dioxide make Dawnworld unsuitable for colonization, but the planetary survey teams assure me that a few decades of industrial terraforming will make it habitable, and within a few decades it will rival Mars.

For whatever my opinion is worth, I would prefer Dawnworld be left alone. The romantic in me wishes to see what eventually grows from this seed which was planted almost two mellenia ago.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Designation Eye-class Church vessel
    Current Ship Location: Aerula III, Alyar System
    Damn the Monad, it was a slaughter. Me and my son Osiris were the only ones who escaped. Those peace talks were a trap set by the Lord-Supreme, the first sign of aggression in what I'm sure will be a long, bloody war. My son suffered a head injury during the escape, and is acting violently erratic, so I am docking on Aerula III, where hopefully those heathen Kλthars will give us medical supplies. If they don't, I swear to the Monad I'm of my mind to take my laser rifle to them all, even if it is the death of me!

I have seen too much death. I need to rest.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The half-galley Golden Lemon Tree, out of Port Harapa, now in Benesian waters south of Cape Sippur
    Of the reign of Bur na Bur ni Esh, whom the gods love, the fourth day of the seventh moon of the third year,
    written by the hand of Na ma Su ka Pur, astrologer

I think our doom approaches. As we, one galley and four half galleys under the command of Tha ma Ni ma Ra whom the gods made unwise, patrolled around the cape in hopes of prey, a fat merchant galley rounded the cape and fell into our trap. Tha ma Ni ma Ra did not wait for the rest of us but ordered his galley to close in haste on the fat merchant. Too late he found that his prey was no sniveling trader with a ten man crew, but a warship of the Brotherhood of Neril, with many archers and swordsmen clothed in red and bronze. We could see the flights of arrows falling on our commodore. My captain ignored my soothsaying and ordered our vessel to join the combat. We can see that the Nerils are past his mast and will take the ship. We should flee before the enemy's hundred willing oarsmen drive their ship after us and overwhelm us. The copper star of Neril was ascendant last night, and Utu in eclipse, but our captain will not listen to me. We are almost in bowshot, I need to go forward and--

Here ends the account in the scroll taken by Kern Longaxe from a galiot taken by the Justiciar war galley.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Ship Name: Steadfast
    Ship Class: Vigilance Class Battlecruiser (Mk-XXXIV refit)
    Registry Number: UTS-3459
    Current Location: Vile-finger Expanse
    Name: Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Victoria Green

Acting-Captains Log, Stardate:1672269.4
    The Steadfast was ambushed near the Spahia System by 3 unknown vessels. Most of the senior crew is dead, and of everyone still conscious, I'm the highest ranked crewmember. Amongst those in comas is our Chief Medical Officer, Commander Aran. We have placed her in statis until we can better treat her injuries.
    We managed to escape into the Vile-finger Expanse, a highly treacherous region of space. The unknowns did not follow us in, but that may change. We have completed basic repairs, but are in no way battle ready; much less with this ancient ship design. (Sighs) Crewman Vasquez noted there was a starbase with a shipyard built inside the expanse, apparently to be used as a staging area during a possible war against the Cratias. Our hope is that enough materials were left behind that we can use to repair the Steadfast well enough to get us home.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post

The Steadfast was ambushed near the Spahia System by 3 unknown vessels. Most of the senior crew is dead, and of everyone still conscious, I'm the highest ranked crewmember. Amongst those in comas is our Chief Medical Officer, Commander Aran. We have placed her in statis until we can better treat her injuries.
    We managed to escape into the Vile-finger Expanse, a highly treacherous region of space. The unknowns did not follow us in, but that may change. We have completed basic repairs, but are in no way battle ready; much less with this ancient ship design. (Sighs) Crewman Vasquez noted there was a starbase with a shipyard built inside the expanse, apparently to be used as a staging area during a possible war against the Cratias. Our hope is that enough materials were left behind that we can use to repair the Steadfast well enough to get us home.
    As I suspected, the three unknown vessels followed us in. When we tried to contact the commanding officer to parley, he said he was part of the Supremacy and that we oppressors deserved to die. It turns out the Supremacy declared war on the Empire while we transporting our special cargo. I reluctantly called everyone to their battle stations as we prepared for the separatist assault. Praise the Monad, I hope we make it through this.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: Steadfast
    Show

Ship Class: Vigilance Class Battlecruiser
    Current Location: Terra-Nova Shipyards
    Name: Captain Roger Denning

Captain's Log, Stardate: 1172272.14612
    This is Captain Roger Denning, newly assigned to the Steadfast, one of the brand new Vigilance-class battlecruisers. The Vigilance-class was made to replace the aging Reliables. The crew is mostly new officers, and veteran crewmen. I suspect this was done to give the officers practical experience in a relatively safe environment. Our maiden voyage will take us to Aerula V, a bright new colony that is in need of extra supplies. I expect myself, the crew, and the ship to go onto greatness. End log.

Spoiler: Note
    Show
    This is the same ship, just much earlier in it's life span.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?