New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: IC - Lost Mines of Phandelver

Durnik grins at the Dragonborn, "Oh, Mirabar isn't a dwarf city. But dwarves have done well there due to the mines. Mirabar is a human city with a large dwarf population."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

"I do, of course, have the traditional training in using sharp sticks to transmute men into ghosts," Maecilia drawled. "The long and short bows, the shortsword and the longsword, though my tutors were rather presumptious in that last one. I mean, honestly." The delicate elf stretched out a slender arm, the fingers on the hand uncalloused by the long handling of weapons. "I hardly have the build or the reach for swinging about a great lump of iron like that. But it is tradition, and my kind have the time to learn a few needless things, I suppose."
    She gave an amused, languid shrug, as if to say 'what can you do?' for a slightly unreasonable request she'd nonetheless grant.
    "I do, however, have a bit of magic - I decided to take up the study of it, and found it rather interesting. That is my true defence... though it is nice to have someone to stand in front of any incoming arrows."

She gave Tharan-ran an easy smile, to take any bite out of her words before she continuned her talk with the cat.

"Not a mage yourself, I take it? No arcane focus, no holy symbol for that sort of godbothering magic, and a pigsticker at your waist. No, I imagine you're not, are you?"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

"Told you I didn't have the gift of Sight, and I lack the spark to do any other magic... Far as I know, at least," Heart replies. "But I'm damn sneaky, damn quick, and a fair hand with what weapons I've trained with."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Torinn gives little thought to whether this Dwarf is avoiding giving his name, and simply admits, "there is much I have yet to learn about these lands and people. I should like to visit Mirabar some day, along with many more cities. Even this unsettled territory that we now traverse is interesting to me, yet I know so little of what to expect." He then raises his voice for the group to hear, asking, "have any of you been to this Phandalin before?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dremon had been out of work for quite some time, so when a dwarf named Gundren told him he’d have work for him in Phandalin he quickly set out from Luskan in hopes of earning some coin. Seeing a group of people at an intersection along his path he decided to stop and make conversation ”Greetings fellow travelers, I saw you and was wondering what you’re all doing gathered here, if you don’t mind me asking?” The man approaching was tall and bearded, and the insignia on his chain armor indicated some military rank. The painted shield on his back and the mace strapped to his side indicated that he was a priest of Red Knight, goddess of strategy.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Tharandiir al'Iriden, Knight of Myth Drannor
    AC: 17 | HP: 11 | CURRENT: 11 | HIT DIE: 1d10 | CURRENT: 1d10
    PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 12 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 10 | INSPIRATION: None.
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.
    CONDITIONS: None.

Tharandiir eyes the new comer warily, he was already uncomfortable with the number of unknown variables travelling the backwater road with himself and his ward. As the new figure approached, his hips shifted slightly, his rear leg grounded, ready to propel his body in any direction to avoid an attack. His hand hovered near the hilt of his blade, eyes scanning the underbrush on either side of the road looking for accomplices. "My company and I travel to Pharendir, we find ourselves companions, united only by the direction of our travel and the road that we've chosen." A pause, "And who may you be stranger?"
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-01-19 at 11:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

AssassinGuy

”Well I’m also headed that way, so I hope none of you would mind if I joined you, I am Sir Brodivir of Red Knight, though if we’re traveling together you may simply call me Dremon.”

8. - Top - End - #38

Torinn sees the Elf square up against this new guy just as before and grins. The fellow's manner of attire reminds him of the Dwarf clerics that encouraged him to head this way, though the emblem is different.

"Good day, Sir Brodivir," he says. "You some kind of holy man?"

9. - Top - End - #39

AssassinGuy

”Yes, are you a follower of the gods yourself?”

10. - Top - End - #40

The dragonborn gives a terse "no." He then adds, "the gods were historically of little use to my kind. Most of us try to repay them by being of little use in return..." He appears to be interrupted momentarily, before grumbling, "though I seem to have personal failings to overcome in that regard."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

The tall, lithe, elven warrior nodded at the armored human, "Greetings Sir Dremon Brodivir of the Red Knight. From where do you hail, for I do not recognize the faith of which you are an exemplar." As he spoke, his posture changed slightly, his shield lowered, however, to the trained eye he still maintained a certain degree of readiness amidst the menagerie of strangers.

12. - Top - End - #42

MonkGuy

New companions and conversation make the time pass by on the road. You spend so much time getting to know each other that you hardly realize you've been on the Triboar Trail for almost half a day at this point. The sun, now past its zenith, warms your back as you continue eastward. You haven't seen another traveler on the trail in a few hours and life around you is oddly quiet. While you are still conversing, as you come around a bend, you spot two dead horses sprawled about fifty feet ahead of you, blocking the path. Black feathered arrows protrude from the corpses of both steeds. The woods press close to the trail here, with a steep embankment and dense thickets on either side.
    Last edited by Oseyerys; 2021-01-21 at 11:54 AM.
    Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy therefore I am not crazy, isn't that crazy?

13. - Top - End - #43

AssassinGuy

Dremon grabs the shield off his back and his mace from his belt, looking for any signs of people among the trees.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[15]

”Slow down, looks like an ambush ahead.”
    Last edited by PartyOfRogues; 2021-01-21 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling

14. - Top - End - #44

MonkGuy

Triboar Trail

Spoiler: Dremon Brodivir
    Show
    It's hard to see much of anything, given the embankments are elevated terrain above the path you walk and there is significant cover with all the trees and bushes, but you see nothing alarming as you scan around the path. You do notice, from the distance you stand from the horses, that it appears the contents of the horses' saddlebags have been emptied onto the road around the corpses.
    Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy therefore I am not crazy, isn't that crazy?

15. - Top - End - #45

"Brigands!" Torinn whispers. His shield arm has been itchy but he's now very glad to have it on. He takes a sidestep and crouches to lower the trunk from his shoulder to the ground, trying to do so quietly but with the supposition that they've already been made.

Spoiler: stealth (disadvantage)
    Show

(1d20+1)[16]
    (1d20+1)[11]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Tharandiir nodded towards his draconic companion, "I agree with your assessment, approach the beasts with a caution, I will circle our group in the event any brigands remain hidden alongside the road." With that the elven warrior moved quietly towards the underbrush, scaling the embankment as quietly as possible, his eyes scanning ahead, tracing the direction of arrow fire to their likely point of origin.

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Moving into the brush, and scaling the embankment, keeping low, and moving in the direction of where it looks like the arrows came from. Quietly if possible, (1d20+6)[16] for Stealth check.

17. - Top - End - #47

Heart's face falls as she sees the horses. "Who would've done this?"

She draws her bow, keeping it ready, and staying near Mae. "We can both work at a distance-if we get ambushed from behind, or if they make it towards us, you run, and I'll draw daggers."

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

"My, my," Mae said, surprise in her tone. "What a ghastly excess usage of arrows. Surely they wouldn't have needed half of those to take the poor things to the grave."
    For her part, she did not draw a weapon or heft a shield, or even leap for cover. She lifted a hand and spoke a word that huge strangely in the air, and golden light briefly flashed over her in a million tiny interlinked patterns. She felt the mage armour settle around her, and felt slightly less worried about a case of arrow-back interaction.
    "I suppose the question is also - not just our enthusiastic archer friends, but where are the riders? Perhaps there's tracks, if one of you is more used to grubbing in mud for that sort of thing."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Casting Mage armour to give an AC of 17

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Durnik flips his warhammer up into his hand and resettles his shield. He calls upon his connection to the earth, and his skin takes on grey hue. "Ye should stay behind me, Lady Elf. Me shield can keep the arrows off'n us both.", he says as he steps in front of Mae.

Show
    Activated Stone's Durability, Dex =18
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not an awful idea, I do suppose," the Lady said, and moved closer to the stony dwarf. Apparently this one had eaten more rocks or whatever than most dwarves, as his skin took on the aspects of stone. She was shorter than him - and wasn't that tragic - and he was vastly broader in frame, as well. Her own assigned bodyguard had wandered off into the undergrowth
    "What an interesting effect," she muttered, her tone genuinely interested, and getting somewhat distracted from the potential risk at hand. "It doesn't seem like mage armour, though it fills a similar protective function. Do tell - is that rocky carapace of yours a spellwork or something innate to your bloodline? Had an ancestor particularly fond of boulders, perhaps?"

Show

In addition to her BA mage armour, she will use Durnik for cover i.e use her action to Dodge to give disadvantage to any attacks aimed at her.

21. - Top - End - #51

Torinn nods as Tharandiir moves into the thicket. He pulls the axe from his back as he steps away from his luggage and strides warily toward the carcasses on the road, scanning for danger as he goes.

Show

Torinn moves 30' toward the horses
    Perception check:
    (1d20-1)[10]

22. - Top - End - #52

MonkGuy

Triboar Trail

The path is eerily silent as you all ready yourselves for potential danger. As Torinn advances, two arrows, one from each embankment on either side of the path, sail through the air towards him. Perhaps it was your anticipation of a trap, or perhaps it was simply his years of combat experience, but the sound of the bowstring being released from somewhere in the bushes and the whistle of the arrows sailing through the air allow Torinn to deflect one of the arrows with the blade of his axe. This motion however, opens up his back to the other arrow and the arrow embeds itself in his shoulder. From the embankments you now hear whooping and hollering as two goblins break free of the bushes and run towards you, one pushing straight for Tharandiir, as you all see him trying to make his way up to the high ground. Another two goblins, those who fired the arrows, sit at the top of the embankments still as they ready for another volley.

Show
    Time for initiative and actions. Zero has been kind enough to offer me a crash course in R20 soon so hopefully when we can find time to go through it together, we should be able to get it set up to where you can upload your own tokens to R20 and can move your characters freely to where you wish them to be in combat scenarios. I'll try to figure something out in the meantime, but as Tharandiir and Torinn were the only two to actually state that they were advancing or repositioning, the rest of you are still on the road ~30ft behind Torinn, with Durnik, Dremon and Heart in in front of/around Mae.

Spoiler: OOC Torinn
    Show
    5 piercing dmg from the arrow.
    Last edited by Oseyerys; 2021-01-24 at 01:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Heart knocks an arrow, readying herself to fire as soon as one of the goblins is harried by one of her comrades.

As she does, she also steps forward slightly, putting herself between Mae and the archers.

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Okay. I'll Ready an Action to fire at the first goblin that reaches melee range of an ally, whether that's by an ally approaching or the goblin approaching.

I will also move to provide cover to our mage, in case they try to shoot her. IC post after I post this.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Tharandiir moved quickly over the crest of the northern ridge, engaging the goblin amusher he discovered there. Drawing his rapier, he stepped in bringing his shield up to the creatures eye level, before slipping the razor sharp elven blade beneath the shield towards the creatures ribs.

As his blade struck, he whispered in the language of the tel'quessir, "I speed thee to death foul creature, no more shall you prey upon the denizens of these, most noble, woods!"

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Move 5' to engage the goblin, and then attack with the rapier. (1d20+6) 15 vs AC, if attack is successful, (]1d6+6) 7 piercing damage to the creature. Linked to OOC thread where I formatted the dice roll correctly.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-02 at 01:02 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

"They're shooting at us," said Mae, sounding more aggrieved than actually worried. "How absolutely crass! How does it go again... Igni?"
    She peeked from around her guardians, aimed a finger at one of the charging goblins, and launched a gleaming golden dart of fire towards it.

26. - Top - End - #56

Torinn winced at the slender stick protruding from just between the rings of his mail as much in embarrassment as in pain. He quickly decides that if he can close the distance with only one of the attackers, it might as well be the one that gave him this. He bounds toward the left embankment as he sees Tharandiir's sword glint out of the corner of his eye. The dull metal of Torinn's worn but sturdy Dwarven axe presents no such sparkle, though he hopes that he can repay the goblin who shot him with the sight of its own blood as he brings it to bear.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+5)[24] to hit
    (1d8+3)[7] slashing if hits

27. - Top - End - #57

Heart, when her Thandir makes it to the goblin, or if he fells the foe in one swoop, when Torinn makes it, looses her arrow.

The shot goes wide, though, as she's too busy trying to avoid hitting her comrade, and it thunks harmlessly into the dirt.

Show
    (1d20+6)[7]
    (1d6+4)[9]
    (1d6)[6]
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-01-26 at 11:33 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Durnik raises his shield to provide the princess with as much cover as possible while intoning the arcane words that create a spectral hand above the goblin directly to his south. He closes the hand, trying to crush the life out of the vicious little brute.

Spoiler: Actions:
    Show
    Chill Touch (1d20+4)[12] for (1d8)[6] necrotic damage, if it hits. Target eill not be able to regain hp until the start of my next turn.

Show

29. - Top - End - #59

MonkGuy

Triboar Trail

Not at all surprised by the ambush that has been sprung, after the first shots from the archers come in to give away their position, you spring to action.

Maecillia

You see Tharandiir making his way to protect your left flank from the goblin charging at you so you turn your attention to the other goblin on the right charging from its hiding spot. Your fingers tingle with arcane energy as you release your spell, the arcing unmistakable orange of fire shooting forth towards the goblin. The goblin however, sees your fireball coming at it and manages to duck under the spell as it whizzes past its head. It glares at you as it keeps advancing, although now with more caution.

Tharandiir

Already of the mind to attain high ground, you make your way to meet the charging goblin coming down the left embankment and use your martial combat experience to find the gap between the goblin's leathers. The goblin screeches and falls over as its blood starts to stain the grass and dirt around it.

Torinn

Easily spotting where the arrow that pierced you came from, you bound your way over towards the embankment with the intent to climb it to close distance to your target. With surprisingly little effort given your gear, you manage to make it up the embankment in large part to your running head start from the road. Once up the embankment, and conveniently on the same plane as the archer who shot you, you make your way to him before he can fire another arrow at you. Fear is the last thing you see in the goblin's eyes before you too cut down your quarry.

Heart

Not being in immediate danger yourself, you ready an arrow to assist your companion, however your shot falls short, embedding itself in the embankment, due to your uncertainty of hitting your comrade.

Goblins
    The goblin rushing up to the group, the one Mae tried to fry with a firebolt, pulls out a scimitar and notices Heart's attention is distracted from just letting an arrow fly. The goblin takes this cheap shot (for goblins are known to not be above such things) and swings at Heart while she is distracted, catching her with the blade as a consequence. The other archer, on the right side embankment, lets loose another arrow towards the group still in the road. This arrow does not sail true however, and misses Mae, its intended target.

Spoiler: Heart OOC
    Show
    8 slashing damage from the goblin with the scimitar.
    Last edited by Oseyerys; 2021-02-01 at 10:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

"Tch!" Heart lets out as she's nicked. "You're gonna regret that, small fry!"

Show
    Show

Show