New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Worms - The Hall of Harsh Reflections

Frederick scowls for several seconds, clearly thinking. Realization dawns after a time, and he shakes his head. "The manservant," he finally responds. Pursing his lips at Marzena, he ultimately frowns. "Unless the real Marzen was taken even before me, I don't know how one of the doppelgängers would know that nor why they might care. I still don't plan on telling you anything important... at least, not for now."

His gaze turns to Jan, and the frown only deepens. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you," he mutters, eyes downcast. "As I said, if any of you get me out, I'll fight by your side as long as Heironeous wills it."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire stands there grinding his teeth, seething at the circumstance. But the other's words do help calm him some. If they are the others... Not willing to sit around and wait, he begins to sift through the "bedding" for the stiffest pieces of straw he can find and walks over to the door. One mistake they've made is keeping us alive.. Though that does beg the question, Why? What is their purpose in not killing us right then and there? As he ponders through gritted teeth he attempts to open the lock of his door.

I don't intend to wait and find out.

Spoiler: Disable device
    Show
    (1d20+18)[32]
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2021-11-25 at 12:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Olofire finds the straw to be perfectly workable, as his dexterous fingers flip the tumblers on the first try, freeing both Jan and himself from their cell.

4. - Top - End - #364

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Once the door opens, Olofire gives a nod, and quietly says to Jan, Help them if you want. I'm looking for our things. Quietly he makes his way around the corner where they found chests with the other prisoners items the day before.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Perception for any baddies (1d20+12)[16] additional +1 vs traps.
    Stealth to move quietly to the next room (1d20+19)[21] [/roll]

5. - Top - End - #365

NecromancerGuy

Either the doppelgangers are more insidious than you realize, or they simply trust their cell locks too much. Olofire immediately finds the party's gear, neatly laid out and stored in chests beside the ones discovered earlier. Everything seems to be there, from basic mundane equipment to magical items to Marzena's Harrow Deck, just ready to be taken back by the PCs.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"It's... it's just there?! You found it all already?" Lydia seems dumbfounded at Olofire's victorious pronouncement. "Well, uhm - what are you waiting for! Get these cells open and we can re-arm ourselves! There's no time to waste!" She scans around the other prisoners as she speaks, watching for any uncharacteristic ticks or cues that might betray an impostor.

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    (1d20+12)[13]
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

7. - Top - End - #367

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire quickly puts his gear on, his trusty flask swirling with blue and green colors ready at his hip. He grabs his lockpicks and heads back into the hall of cells. His face, like flint, looks at each member of the party, jaw clenched, before eventually speaking. I hate this. But right now, I don't trust you. Any of you. I'm not going to set you free. Jan is only out because she happened to be in the same cell as me. He looks directly at Jan, If you are doppleganger, do not try me. I will not hesitate should you give me any reason to believe you aren't Jan. He looks back to the rest. Unless you each can prove to me that you are who you seem to be, I'm leaving you here.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Like I said Olofire doesn't trust the party, and is ready to leave them all here.

So he is going to sense motive as well I'll use these rolls in the order of responses:
    Sense motive 1 (1d20+5)[10]
    Sense motive 2 (1d20+5)[8]
    Sense motive 3 (1d20+5)[13]
    Sense motive 4 (1d20+5)[24]

If he does find that he trusts them he will unlock their door.
    Disable device 1 (1d20+20)[32]
    Disable device 2 (1d20+20)[29]
    Disable device 3 (1d20+20)[40]

Sorry yall...

8. - Top - End - #368

Marzena considers Olofire's words, looking at him with a piercing, unflinching gaze. She lets a good ten seconds of silence pass before she decides on an answer.

"That makes sense. OK. Prove who I am. Well, here's something I can say : When you and I met, the first thing you told me was to ask if I wanted to join you guys to see an egg. I said yes, and that egg turned out to be all black, and about as tall as yourself, and quite nasty. Now I don't think a doppelganger could know that. Right?"

She looks straight at the doctor, as if challenging him to deny her.

9. - Top - End - #369

DwarfBarbarianGuy

He takes a moment, meeting Marzena’s gaze, searching for something. With a nod he proceeds to unlock her door and let her out gesturing to her items around the corner. He turns to the hieronians.

Well?

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick immediately grunts a short laugh. "Of course you're not. I feel like I already said this part; Just leave."

He doesn't even particularly pay attention as Marzena describes their venture into the lizardfolk's lair. When Olofire turns to him deliberately, it's a sour laugh that rumbles forth.

"I've no intention of giving you any more information about my friends than you've already got." He fixes the doctor with a deliberate, not even remotely pleasant glare. "If you let me out, I'll fight any enemy I can find. Up to you if that's good enough."

11. - Top - End - #371

Marzena turns back towards Frederick, an irritated look on her face, but doesn't answer. Instead, her head turns toward Jan, looking at the gnome to gauge her reaction.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick glances briefly at Marzena. "Tell me I'm wrong," he challenges. He crosses his muscular arms and turns back to Olofire with a suspicious glare.

13. - Top - End - #373

"You're not wrong. But separating again will only make things worse. However, if we all get out", - she pointedly glances in Olofire's direction - "I have an idea in mind that will allow all of us to prove who we are. But it requires us to be sure we're out of anyone else's sight and earshot. Not here, in other words."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Come on, Doctor, we don't have time for this - the jailers could be back at any moment!" Lydia protests with a sigh. "Fine, to prove myself? Let's see... how about that little concoction I had you cook up for me to make our weapons more potent against our "little green friends". Kyussbane oil, I think you called it? Now would an impostor know that? Of course not, so let me out at once!" She stomps her foot, unused to having her commands so blatantly disregarded.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2021-12-02 at 04:53 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Lydia's comment sparks a deeply furrowed, thoughtful brow from Frederick, though he remains silent for the moment.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan's expression brightens as Olofire picks the lock, though she frowns irritably at his continued suspicion.

After quickly gathering her stowed gear, she returns to hear the sour exchange ongoing. She turns to Frederick, gesturing in images of spellcasting before leaving the room.

Moments later, the half-orc hears her whispered voice clearly in his ears, though the gnome herself has exited the room...

Spoiler: Whispered to Frederick via Message spell
    Show
    "Surely you remember the first companion we lost, right? Arkiana? Whisper the second, and I'll believe who you say you are."

After mere moments, she returns to the room, looking at the apparent form of her oldest friend pointedly.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

17. - Top - End - #377

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Come on, Doctor, we don't have time for this - the jailers could be back at any moment!" Lydia protests with a sigh. "Fine, to prove myself? Let's see... how about that little concoction I had you cook up for me to make our weapons more potent against our "little green friends". Kyussbane oil, I think you called it? Now would an impostor know that? Of course not, so let me out at once!" She stomps her foot, unused to having her commands so blatantly disregarded.
    Dr. Olofire takes a few moments more trying to get a reading on Lydia. He never really understood the rigid military gruffness and still struggled to gauge where she stands. Another moment, and he grits his teeth and shakes his head. With a sigh, he opens her door. His eyes never stray as she goes to gather her things, looking for any sudden movements.

As she rounds the corner to the chests, he looks to "Frederick." If you want to stay here, I'm fine with that. But know that I want our Frederick back. And right now, you are not him. He glances at the others and starts walking towards the cell with the elf maiden. I don't know if we even want to continue searching this place, seeing how they know our intentions from last night. Personally, I am fed up with this whole ordeal. The little doctor makes quick work of the lock on her cell and unlocks it. He goes the the prisoner that was on the other side of his cell, and unlocks it.

Follow the path around that corner and pass over the scaffolding. Once you go down the ladder, be careful not to touch anything in the warehouse. Stay away from the walls and try not to go too close to any crates or barrels. Some were hidden creatures that attacked us when we first came in. Be quick. Be quiet. Be safe. He pauses for a moment before turning again to the elf maiden and looking her in the eyes, I'm sorry.

Turning his back to them he looks to the other free members of his party, What are we going to do now? Do we stay and continue down this path? Or leave and go back to what we've been working towards since before this nonsense started?

18. - Top - End - #378

"We all get out, Doctor. This is what we need to do right now. Along with both prisoners." She nods to the elf woman and the unfortunate madman. Still talking, she goes to retrieve her equipment, breathing a sigh of relief when she finds her deck of cards in good condition, safely tucked in the scarf's pocket. As she walks back into the jail room, she takes it out, and flips through all the cards, one by one, at incredible speed, even as she continues chatting. "Here's my thinking. The fake Frederick, last night, wanted us to leave them here. Ergo, we want them out. Once that's done, we can't let them here at the mercy of traps and invisible monsters and what have you. So we all leave, we get back to the inn, Tarquin and his staff can take care of them. Then we double-check that we are who we are, and then we plan for the next move."

Spoiler
    Show
    Not only does she know the deck by heart, but she has a mystical connection to it since it effectively serves as her familiar. She still checks every single card to make sure they're the unspoiled original.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick blinks in surprise at Jan's ploy. He scowls thoughtfully for several seconds before appearing to make a decision. He nods, looking at the floor, but listening to Jan. "Lyr deserved better, but I cannot fathom how the Doppelgangers would have known of either of them."

No doubt Jan returns moments later further convinced. In the meantime, Frederick responds to Olofire. "Do you not see what this looks like to me? You "escaped" a cell in moments that has held me for days. You return seconds later and "happened to find" all our equipment? If anything, I trust you less than you me." His eyebrows furrow in concern.

"But Jan.... and Lydia. Even Marzena...." He glances back at the priestess with obvious uncertainty. After another few seconds, he glares at "Olofire." "If you value Lyr's sacrifice, I'm no enemy of yours."

20. - Top - End - #380

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Frederick blinks in surprise at Jan's ploy. He scowls thoughtfully for several seconds before appearing to make a decision. He nods, looking at the floor, but listening to Jan. "Lyr deserved better, but I cannot fathom how the Doppelgangers would have known of either of them."

No doubt Jan returns moments later further convinced. In the meantime, Frederick responds to Olofire. "Do you not see what this looks like to me? You "escaped" a cell in moments that has held me for days. You return seconds later and "happened to find" all our equipment? If anything, I trust you less than you me." His eyebrows furrow in concern.

"But Jan.... and Lydia. Even Marzena...." He glances back at the priestess with obvious uncertainty. After another few seconds, he glares at "Olofire." "If you value Lyr's sacrifice, I'm no enemy of yours."
    Olofire let's out a huge sigh of relief, and quickly unlocks Frederick's cell. You know I've been unlocking locked doors for as long as you've known me, right? And we saw the chests full of all the captives things when we came here initially. But I can understand what you mean. And while I'm not sure what exactly Arkiana would say, all I can say is I'm sorry it took us so long to figure it out. He looks to the rest of the party with a hesitant smile, Can we please leave here now? All of us?
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2021-12-06 at 01:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick rises and stretches. He nods stoically as Olofire picks yet another lock. "I... It seems like you all came here with someone who... looks like me, recently?" Frederick frowns, but the expression softens as everyone concurs in one way or another. "I can assure you, I've seen figures that looked like you all appear and disappear in these cells several times. They can get in and out without much effort. And I definitely did not see any chest of equipment nearby."

As he begins to don his armor and recovers his weapons, he suddenly blurts out. "What are they thinking leaving our equipment so close? Jan, help me with this strap?" He blinks in confusion. "How strange."

22. - Top - End - #382

"Indeed... We've been pretty paranoid about each other. Maybe we ought to be paranoid about our stuff too! Let's see..."

She casts another detection cantrip:

"Pour ma part je n'aime guère
    Qu'on touche à mes affaires
    Y a-t-il là quelque ratière?
    Ma magie est-elle entière?"

She thoroughly reviews every object of her equipment, and, assuming they consent, that of the others.

"It could be poison too, although I don't know what purpose it would serve, since they let us live in the first place..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Detect Magic and checking everything for added, removed or altered enchantments compared to what she remembers.

23. - Top - End - #383

NecromancerGuy

The elf maiden, who has spent all of this discussion silent and brooding, looks up as Olofire moves to unlock her cell. Shying away she curls into a very small ball in the corner, as far from the door as possible, for several long moments. As Olofire walks away and the other PCs collect their gear she looks up and then slowly stands. "Um...really? None of you are going to stop me?" she asks, quietly. Then, when no one moves to intervene she slowly approaches the party near the chests with their gear. Staying out of arms reach she points at some of the equipment. "Those are mine," she says, pointing at the Periapt of Health, several signet rings, and the embroidered sky-blue cloak. "Would one of you pass them to me, please? I'd like to get dressed in something other than these rags..." The party notices that while she lacks many of the bruises that would be signs of injury, she is filthy. Wearing her fine dress will help, but she will still look distinctly out of place.

Does one of you give her the items she claims? Do you offer her any additional help?

For his part, the man with the broken mind sits in the middle of his cell watching, giggling, crying, and in other ways showing how badly his mental capacities have been destroyed. When the door is unlocked he doesn't rise to follow, nor does he claim any gear. The elf woman looks at him sadly. "He never once spoke to me and often had to be force fed by those monsters. I don't even know his name..."

What do you do about the man?

None of the gear appears to be out of the ordinary, at least not in the sense that Marzena detects magically.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick watches, but is too busy with his armor to help distribute gear. "If you can stand to wait a few minutes, I'll escort you out. I... If what they say is true, you may not be well equipped to handle the guardians of this place."

25. - Top - End - #385

"Let's all go out together. We can sort out any differences once we're out of this goddamn place!" Makena exclaims. She adjusts her gold dragon scale pendant and her headband, clearly objects of some importance to her.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2021-12-10 at 11:21 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Agreed!" Lydia exclaims, tightening her sword belt around her breastplate. "We'll all return to the entrance together and figure out our next move once we can be sure of not being overheard. As for him..." she turns to the babbling man, "he's beyond my ability to help, at least right now. When we return we can free him, and there will be someone at the Sanctum who can heal him. But for now, much as I hate to say it, he's probably safer in that cell that out here."

(Lydia gives the elf woman her claimed items.)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A beaming smile breaks through Jan's darkly suspicious stare at what she now believes to be her oldest friend. "Well, that does it for me!" she blurts out, "Olofire, let's get Freddy out of here!"

As he begins to don his armor and recovers his weapons, he suddenly blurts out. "What are they thinking leaving our equipment so close? Jan, help me with this strap?" He blinks in confusion. "How strange."
    Moving to assist the hulking half-orc as best she can, given her diminutive stature, the sorceress gives a dismissive "Hmmph. Maybe they're not nearly that smart, just very... sneaky?"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Um...really? None of you are going to stop me?" she asks, quietly. Then, when no one moves to intervene she slowly approaches the party near the chests with their gear. Staying out of arms reach she points at some of the equipment. "Those are mine," she says, pointing at the Periapt of Health, several signet rings, and the embroidered sky-blue cloak. "Would one of you pass them to me, please? I'd like to get dressed in something other than these rags..." The party notices that while she lacks many of the bruises that would be signs of injury, she is filthy. Wearing her fine dress will help, but she will still look distinctly out of place.
    "Well, I bet Lydia can conjure some water, right? Maybe let you rinse a bit? Though I missed the bathing room in our earlier tour of this den of shapeshifting ne'er-do-wells, and we wouldn't want to ruin the upholstery in here now, would we?" she chuckles darkly at her weak attempt of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Agreed!" Lydia exclaims, tightening her sword belt around her breastplate. "We'll all return to the entrance together and figure out our next move once we can be sure of not being overheard. As for him..." she turns to the babbling man, "he's beyond my ability to help, at least right now. When we return we can free him, and there will be someone at the Sanctum who can heal him. But for now, much as I hate to say it, he's probably safer in that cell that out here."
    Jan frowns confusedly at Lydia. "I mean... it's hard to say. He's not likely to get much worse in here, even abandoned to the tender mercies of those soulless, twisted, thrice-accursed shapeshif- uh, what was I saying?" the gnome's sudden descent into spitting epithets is interrupted as she loses her train of thought. "Oh, right. I mean, are they going to make him more mad? And were they to kill him... might be better off." she looks at the gibbering prisoner with a deep weariness in her eyes.

"Well... I know I can't carry him out, and he's not going out on his own two. Frederick might not have time to lower him gently if we get jumped again... I just don't know what we can do for him."
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

28. - Top - End - #388

"Leaving him like this looks like a death sentence to me..." Marzena says. The battle hardened spellcaster's sharp features soften with a look of genuine concern for the unfortunate fellow.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

"It is a wonder he isn't dead already," Frederick muses. "What benefit could he serve his captors- or anyone else, in this state?"

30. - Top - End - #390

NecromancerGuy

"My name is Ilya Starmane," says the elf maiden as she recovers her equipment. "My family is from Celene and helps negotiate trade agreements between our queen and the lands of Greyhawk. They will be glad to see me again - I've been here nearly a month." As she's about to put on her periapt of health she looks at the party members and holds it out instead. "They never even let me out of that cell - here, take this, just get me back home to my family!"

As they get ready to leave Ilya turns back to the poor, broken man in his cell. "When he was acting a bit...more sane...he would sometimes tell me his name - Gattel Watam. I didn't know him before and he was here when they kidnapped me. I'm sure I can get him to come with us. Please, help me free him too..."

Once Gattel is out of his cell he seems easily shepherded and follows Ilya without argument. He shows no interest in any equipment, though the PCs suspect that the bag of holding (Type I with 863 golden orbs inside) might have been his, once. The party leads them both out of the building, finding that the doppelgangers haven't been able to replace their mimic guardians yet. Once outside the party finds that the weather is warm but cloudy, with a slight fog coming off the nearby river. Ilya looks around and says, "I'm not sure where we are, but my family lives in the Foreign Quarter, near the Garden Gate. Can you help me find the way?"

Frederick has no trouble leading the party to the Foreign Quarter. As they get further from the Sodden Hold and closer to home Ilya gets more and more excited. Though an elf, and likely older than many of the PCs, she is still young for her kind and clearly excited and relieved to be free again. Once close enough she reaches out to take Frederick's hand and leads the way to a large, well-adorned building with sculptures and bas reliefs of forests and other natural scenes. She rushes up to the door and uses the knocker, loudly.

Several moments later an older elf man in fine livery opens the door and gasps.

Spoiler: Elven
    Show
    "Miss Ilya? But I just saw you upstairs in your room...? How did you get down here, and why are you so dirty? Please, come inside off the street so we can get you cleaned up..."

There is plenty of time to react to any portion of what happened above - please don't let me rush you all with this. I am going to go ahead and (gently) perform a bit of railroading, though, to get some noteworthy things happening. If you insist, along the way to the Starmane manor you can drop off Gattel Watam with someone. The City Watch, Tarquin, someone at the University, etc... However, the majority of the temples in town, including that of Heironeous, are past the Garden Gate, so if you want to drop him off there it needs to be after this scene.

What do you do now? Ilya is home and her family may be grateful, but it appears someone else has been wearing her face, just a couple of minutes ago at least...