New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Age of Worms - The Hall of Harsh Reflections

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "My apologies, Doctor. I didn't wish to give them a warning, and now I realize that you didn't get one either", she says calmly. "I can dismiss the magic now if you wish?"
    "Oh, I wouldn't worry about that too much!" giggles Jan, already gesturing toward the halfling. "He may be a lot more slippery than you expect!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast Grease at Olofire, granting +10 on CMD to avoid and escape grapples.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Janstina Silentall
    F Chaotic Good Gnome Sorcerer, Level 8, Init 10, HP 45/61, Speed 20
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, CMD 14, Fort 5, Ref 6, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Acidic Ray Ranged (1d6+1/2lvl, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d3-2, x2, 19-20)
    (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 24
    Condition Mage Armor: +4 AC, ~1 hour
    See Invisible: ~70 minutes (??)
    Haste: +1 FRA, +1 atk/dodge/reflex, +30ft movement. 6 rds remaining
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

2. - Top - End - #602
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Olofire kills one of his doppelgangers and is shaken for one round from the emotional/psychic trauma... His following attacks still hit, killing the other clone too.
    Lydia attacks and kills her doppelganger. She is shaken for one round from the emotional/psychic trauma... She could move into the Grease and Black Tentacles, but I don't think that makes much sense now that Olofire's doppelgangers are dead.
    Frederick critical hits his doppelganger and would be shaken if he weren't a paladin and immune to fear.
    Marzena cancels her Black Tentacles spell to spare Olofire 8 damage...
    Jan doesn't need to cast Grease, since combat is over. Instead she dismisses the spell underneath Olofire out of precaution.

In a sudden display of martial prowess, Olofire, Lydia, and Frederick kill each of the doppelgangers mimicking them. Marzena dismisses her spell to protect Olofire and Jan cuts hers short as she sees the enemies all fall. With a contemptuous gesture the little gnome dismisses her earlier casting and looks around at the bodies nearby.

Both Olofire and Lydia feel a distinct wave of existential dread as they strike the doppelgangers mimicking them - the experience is unsettling, and they are briefly fearful of their own mortality... The experience passes quickly, though, and the party are left alone in the hallway with eight dead or dying doppelgangers.

End of combat.

Before you the four doors are all open, leading into rather plain sleeping quarters. Each contains identical (and comfortable-looking) beds, a washbasin, two full-length mirrors, and a large wardrobe. As the party investigates the rooms they find the wardrobes are practically stuffed with clothing - between the four rooms every sort of outfit imaginable appears to be assembled. It's a dazzling array of costumes, complete with various bits of jewelry and other trinkets to complete any disguise necessary. Specifically, each room contains one royal outfit and one noble's outfit in addition to the rest. All in all, this collection would be quite valuable to the right buyer.

Spoiler: Searching and collecting the items
    Show
    You will need an extra-planar space to store all this, or plan to remove it in multiple trips. The clothing at least takes up a ton of room.

The jewelry and trinkets are non-magical but well-made, total value of 500 GP. The DC to appraise them is casually easy to pass.

What do you do now?

Spoiler: Map
    Show

3. - Top - End - #603

"Bloody double-dealing bastards... With this equipment, and their mind powers, they could impersonate anyone. And given time, they're organized enough to pretty much take the city over!" Marzena begins to realize the extent and sophistication of the dopplegangers' operation.

While the team searches the premises and takes a bit of time to recover from the brief fight, the former battlemage looks around the area. "I don't know you, but my nose tells me that's not all there is to it. This place is deception upon trap upon hideout upon ruse... There's got to be more to it."

Her deck of cards appears in her hands. She begins a complex manipulation, checking out a card from time to time as she incants:

"C'est assez de toutes ces ficelles
    Il est facile d'imaginer
    Qu'un recoin par ici recèle
    Une porte bien dissimulée?"

Her eyes take a strange yellow sheen as she begins to roam the whole area to scrutinize every wall, every square foot of floor and ceiling, and the insides of every closet.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume that while we search through the stuff, we have time of heal as necessary (Marzena is not hurt, she just used up the temporary hp from False Life).

Casting Detect Secret Doors, which lasts 10 minutes at CL 10. She'll search the whole level.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-10-23 at 09:17 AM.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

"I doubt I'll ever be confident we got them all," Frederick grumbles. Trusting her eyes better than his, he carefully clomps around behind Marzena, prepared to protect her should anything else jump out.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Well, four less of them is a good start!" Lydia retorts, ramming her blade home into its sheath with a heavy sigh. "Added to those we've slain before and they must be nearing depletion! This place isn't that large. A single warehouse and perhaps some excavation - it couldn't garrison more than a score of men, could it?" While Marzena searches the walls for secret doors, Lydia returns to the planning room to glean as much additional information from the foe's maps and writings as she can in the time available.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2022-10-25 at 08:24 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

6. - Top - End - #606
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

As much as I want to agree with you Lydia, these things have shown us at the very least, not everything is as it seems. Olofire downs and extract, I'll help you look as well Marzena. While he checks the now empty rooms, looking for any indication that there might be more to be seen, he drinks 2 more of his extracts, stretching this way and that as the few wounds he has stich themselves up.

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show

Downing an enemy gives Olofire his Panache point back to his max of 3.
    Olofire will drink his own Detect Secret Doors extract and look in different rooms from Marzena, hoping to find anything sooner rather than later.
    He follows that up with his Alchemical Allocation, and Cure light wounds extract. (1d8+5)[13] HP gained. At max HP now.

If in the first 5 minutes no one finds anything, in these rooms. Olofire will 100% let the others now that he is going to check back in the tunnel area and pillar and take his Animal Aspect extract again choosing otter to check underwater for the last 5 minutes.

Spoiler: Stealth, DC 39 to notice
    Show

(1d20+22)[39] to hide the fact that he spit the Cure light wounds back in the flask to use again later.

Spoiler: Character Stats
    Show

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 6/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 8, Init 7, HP 71/71, Speed 30 ft, 15ft swim
    AC 25, Touch 19, Flat-footed 17, CMD 22, Fort 7, Ref 17, Will 4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +12 (not mutated, +14 mutated) (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +11 (not mutated, +13 mutated) (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +15 (1d4+8, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +7 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 24, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 8, Cha 9
    Condition Mutagen 53:54
    Animal Aspect (Otter) 3:06 15ft swim speed, and can hold breath longer
    Water Breathing 3ish hours
    Detect Secret Doors 10:00
    -Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 0/1
    -Panache 3/3
    -Spontaneous Healing 2/3 left today

Last edited by Albinobrow; 2022-10-26 at 12:53 AM.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan sniffs dismissively at the duplicate that took her form, though a shiver works its way through her tiny form as she watches it... melt back into its half-formed natural state.

Y'know, she muses, as the others make their way to scan the area, "for all their sneaky tricks, it seems they have a very poor grasp of the arcane. I wonder..."

With a murmur and a gesture, the gnome closes her large, wide-set eyes, only to reveal an iridescent shimmer in their reflection of the dim lighting. "S'pose it couldn't hurt to look... maybe there are some less mundane tricks around here..."

Show
    Jan casts Detect Magic and follows Marzena and Frederick, stopping to observe and inspect any magical auras that she sees.
    Spellcraft mod is +8, Arcane Knowledge is +6.

8. - Top - End - #608

NecromancerGuy

The party takes a moment to catch their breath before searching more diligently. With all apparent threats neutralized, they have the time to do this thoroughly, so they do. Marzena finds two secret doors, essentially on opposite sides of this area. First, the party overlooked a pair of stacked secret doors leaving from the planning room. The other door is in the last of the bedrooms along a diagonal wall. Neither door is locked - just well-hidden.

With Olofire helping her Jan takes a look down into the pit trap. She discovers that there are two auras of magic down the hole - both illusion spells. One is a figment and the other a glamer, apparently covering up something on the bottom. Exploring it further will take some effort and piercing the illusions will require some effort, as it appears disbelieving the figment is not enough to see through the image of the pit floor.

Show

Do you further investigate the magically-enhanced pit trap, or one of the two sets of secret doors? To determine more about the magical auras (including possibly identifying the spells) Jan will need a Knowledge (Arcana) or (Divine) check. Other casters can assist with this if they want to inspect the auras too. If you move beyond either sets of double doors I will need marching orders and any related skill checks (Perception, Stealth, etc...) noted ahead of time.

Olofire didn't need to use any extracts yet.

9. - Top - End - #609

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Spellcraft Check
    Show

I'm not the best at these but I'll give it a shot since I'm right there with Jan. (1d20+10)[16]

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's reconvene before we choose a route," Frederick grumbles, eyeing the previously-hidden doors with unmasked suspicion. He waits for Lydia and Marzena to return to their allies in the hallway before deliberately stepping away from the war room.

"We should eventually pursue every nook of this devilish rathole. Let's start in here," he points to the room at the end of the hall with its own secret door.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Given the time, Frederick will let Olofire inspect the door for traps and threats before going through first himself.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Hmmm.... wouldja look at that..." murmurs Jan, as the pit trap's illusions reveal themselves to her magically-enhanced sight. "I wonder..." she says, peering intently down into the pit.

Show
    A couple of Knowledge checks:
    (1d20)[7]
    (1d20)[17]

Arcana is +6, religion is untrained and +0

12. - Top - End - #612

NecromancerGuy

Jan is unable to make sense of the auras she sees.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia moves to inspect the magical auras in the pit trap at Jan's announcement of them.
    Spoiler: Knowledge: Religion
    Show
    (1d20+8)[22]

"Two hidden doors, deception upon deception!" Lydia frowns. "Were I in charge of this rat's nest I would put the most important locations behind the planning room. But with these craven tricksters it's like to be exactly the opposite! We may at well go down the door Frederick identified, first. After all, we're already here."

Spoiler: Marching order & skills
    Show
    Lydia will volunteer to bring up the rear. Probably Frederick leads, and the squishier members in the middle?
    Perception (1d20+16)[20] as we venture into the next room.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #614

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire nods to the rest of the party and first checks the unlocked secret door near the pit for any traps before leading the party through to the next area.

Show

Checking out secret door at R6.

Perception (1d20+13)[32] includes +1 for traps
    Disable device if necessary (1d20+24)[31] includes +1 for traps

Show

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 6/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 8, Init 7, HP 71/71, Speed 30 ft, 15ft swim
    AC 25, Touch 19, Flat-footed 17, CMD 22, Fort 7, Ref 17, Will 4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +7 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Deflect)
    Condition Mutagen 53:24
    Animal Aspect (Otter) 2:36 15ft swim speed, and can hold breath longer
    -Panache 3/3

15. - Top - End - #615

NecromancerGuy

(I'm going to wait just a bit before adjudicating the new room for OoC reasons. I will update this room in a couple of days.)

Lydia recognizes the divine aura as that of a Silence spell, somehow lasting permanently at the bottom of the pit trap. A moment later Marzena looks inside and explains that the arcane aura is an Illusory Wall, arranged horizontally. It's impossible to determine what is below the wall without physically getting into the pit and leaning down past the illusion, but presumably something is down there. Olofire points out the slick, smooth walls of the pit appear to be (physically) greased - he's not confident he (or anyone else) could climb it.

A strong rope, tied to a PC, could possibly allow one of the lighter PCs to be lowered into the pit to look below, if you desire.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan lets out a frustrated "Huff!" of irritation. "I shoulda been able to... ugh," she trails off dispiritedly.

"Anyhoo, that's one nasty pit they've got down there. It's gotta be one of two things- unavoidable DEATH!" the gnome draws herself up to her full (but rather unimpressive) height to jab one finger dramatically into the air "or something important that they reeeeeeeally don't want anybody getting ahold of. Either way, my math is... we have to check that out. Maybe just... not right away? It could be really ugly if one of those sneaky buggers crept up on Freddy while he was fishing, with Olof for bait." She grins wolfishly at the halfling before dissolving into titters of laughter at the mental image.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"You have... a way with words, Janstina," Lydia sighs somewhat as she surveys the pit trap. "I could attempt to dispel the enchantments, although the effort to do so will be significant. Perhaps better to look, first. I confess my curiosity is piqued - I can stand guard against 'sneaky buggers' while Frederick 'fishes', if you like."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #618

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Uuhhh yeah. Ok, sure. Heh. Fishing… He looks down into the unassuming pit with a gulp. with a breath, he starts to tie a rope around himself. Hey Frederick, don’t drop me.. please?

19. - Top - End - #619

NecromancerGuy

Show

In spite of the vocal interests to keep exploring, several of the PCs seem intent on the pit trap. With the confidence of his prodigious strength (and Olofire's light weight) Frederick ties a rope into a harness and gently lowers the halfling down into the hole. As noted, the sides of the trap are slick and Olofire immediately finds himself entirely in the hands of his half-orc friend - there is no way he would be able to stop himself from falling without the rope and makeshift harness.

At the illusory wall effect Olofire looks through and sees another thirty feet below spikes and a floor unusually clean of trash or signs of victims. He also notes that he cannot hear anything at all - the magical silence effect has reached this point too. It appears this devious spiked pit trap hasn't actually caught any victims, though it would be particularly dangerous for even an advanced spellcaster. A victim falling would appear to fall in, disappear, and then be unable to call for help from the spiked floor below. From where he is there doesn't look to be any signs of a door or way out, suggesting a very lonely place to wait for rescue or capture...

The PCs are the first enemies to make it this far into the doppelganger lair. There have been no prior victims to this trap, so there is no loot at the bottom, nor is there a way out other than back up. It is an interesting little find, but doesn't advance the story further...

After tugging the rope to be pulled back up Olofire goes to the nearest secret door, checks it for a lock and/or traps, finds none, and then looks to the PCs for a sign that they are ready to proceed. Once they all give him a nod he opens the door...

If you intend any additional buffs or preparation before opening the door, please post accordingly. I intend to give @Gwynfrid the opportunity to post something too before we continue, assuming he is wrapping up the real-life issues discussed in Discord.

...revealing a strange room. The walls of this tall, octagonal chamber are mirrored with a dark black glass reflecting ghostly blue flames from a trio of torches suspended above. In the center of the room is each of one of you, manacled and tied to a chair, struggling to escape!

I am going to insist, for the sake of the experience, that no one discuss if you are playing your real PC or not with anyone else right now. Your PCs do not know, confidently, if they are looking at a group including a mix doppelgangers and their friends or not. Distrust, doubt, and a bit of healthy freak out are in order, especially as the doppelganger who originally replaced Frederick ("Ixiaxian," one of the most adept and capable of the shapechangers) has not been captured or defeated. It might still be amongst the PCs, played by one of you right now, as could several more doppelgangers potentially. Don't mess this moment up by breaking the fourth wall - assume you and your PC simply don't know...

And then have some fun with this scene!

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick wastes no time, as he bares his lips in a nearly inhuman snarl and charges into the room!

Spoiler: Frederick, round 1
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    M LG Half-Orc Paladin 8 (VMC Barbarian), Level 8, Init 1, HP 60/68, Speed 20
    AC 25, Touch 12, Flat-footed 25, CMD 23, Fort 10, Ref 5, Will 8*, CMB +12/+7, Base Attack Bonus 8/3, Power Points -/0
    Magic Falchion +1 +14/+9 (2d4+8, 18-20/x2)
    Returning Trident +1 +14/+9 (+9 thrown) (1d8+6, x2)
    Warhammer +13/+8 (1d8+5, x3)
    MW Glaive +14/+9 (1d10+7, x3)
    MW Composite Longbow (+3 str) (40 standard arrows) +9/+4 (1d8+3, x3)
    Full Plate +1, Heavy Steel Shield (+10 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Natural, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 20 19, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Condition Irrepressible: Cha isntead of Wis for charm/compulsion will saves
    Power Attack (-3 attack, +6 damage (+9 two-hander))
    Uncanny Dodge
    Lay on Hands: 5/6 (2d6, removes fatigue, disease)
    Smite Evil: 3/3
    Divine Bond: 1/1
    Rage: 6/8
    Grace: 1/1
    Hero's Defiance: 1/1
    Paladin's Sacrifice: 1/1
    Righteous Vigor: 1/1
    Blinding shield: 2/2
    Aura of courage
    Aura of resolve
    Squid poison: -1 str damage

Assuming HP damage healed prior, Frederick will charge in
    (1d20+3)[21] initiative

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The significance of the lookalikes hits Lydia like a truck - We were fools to split up! "Wait! Stop!" she cries, trying to arrest Frederick's charge. "We parted ways after the battle just now! Some of them could be real!!"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan gawks for a second, and turns to look at the assembled members of the party with narrowed eyes, seemingly doing a head count as Frederick plants his feet for the charge. Shaking her head knowingly, she backs against the wall to ensure her tiny form doesn't obstruct the paladin's path. "For what it's worth, that's exactly what Frederick would do. And would an impostor do this???" she cries, pointing imperiously at the bound (apparent) gnome, causing a sickly green beam to erupt and dart toward it!

Show
    Use (apparently! ) Acidic Ray at the (apparent) fake Jan:

Attack: (1d20+7)[13]
    CC: (1d20+7)[21] for x2 on 27
    Damage: (1d6+4)[7]
    Crit damage: (1d6+4)[9]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Janstina Silentall
    F Chaotic Good Gnome Sorcerer, Level 8, Init 10, HP 45/61, Speed 20
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 13, Fort 5, Ref 5, Will 6, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Acidic Ray Ranged (1d6+1/2lvl, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d3-2, x2, 19-20)
    (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 24
    Condition Mage Armor: +4 AC, ~1 hour
    See Invisible: ~70 minutes (??)

23. - Top - End - #623

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Damn it all! STOP! They want us to lose our cool again! Don’t give them the satisfaction! Plus I have a couple thoughts to figure it out! Olofire moves to tackle Jan and stop her from attacking anymore.

Don’t make me put you down!

Show

Sooo tackle or grapple Jan? (1d20+4)[16] that’s with my CMD modifier. I’m pretty sure that’s the right way to do it.
    Rolled a 10 on my initiative in OOC.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick growls as he throws Lydia's hand off his shoulder. "THAT one couldn't!" he roars, as he savagely drives forward, blade first, towards the bound copy of himself.

Spoiler: Frederick, round 1
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    AC 25, Touch 12, Flat-footed 25, CMD 23, Fort 10, Ref 5, Will 8*, CMB +12/+7, Base Attack Bonus 8/3, Power Points -/0
    Full Plate +1, Heavy Steel Shield (+10 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Natural, +2 Deflect)
    Uncanny Dodge
    Rage: 5/8
    Aura of courage
    Aura of resolve

Rage
    move to F3
    Cut down the bound "Frederick"
    (1d20+12)[30] falchion
    (1d20+12)[27] CC (30+,x2)
    (2d4+17)[24] damage
    (2d4+17)[25] crit bonus

25. - Top - End - #625

Marzena is not taken aback by the new trickery, but very much so by Jan's and Frederick's brash reaction to it. Her sharp voice cuts through the cries of pain and rage. "Janstina Silenthall! Sir Frederick Strongarm! Let me remind you that we had agreed to a surefire procedure to make sure we recognize each other in such an instance? You will agree to enact it, NOW. Or I shall assume that you were captured and replaced."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative, should this prove necessary: (1d20+5)[6]

Marzena Human (F) Cartomancer Witch 8 CG
    HP 50 / 50 (temp hp are now gone) Speed 30 ft
    Init +3 (+5 if Lydia is in sight) Senses Low-light vision
    AC 16 CMD 15 Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +10 (+1 vs enchantments)
    BAB +4 CMB +3
    Harrow Card +7 (1d4+2, 20/x2)
    Dagger +3 (1d4-1, 19/x2)
    Str 8 (-1) Dex 14 (+2) Con 12 (+1) Wis 12 (+1) Int 23 (+6) Cha 10 (0)
    Powers per day Fly 7/8 minutes, Levitate 1/1, Augury 2/week, Harrowed feat: Draw Harrow card for +2 to 1 check 0/1, +2 bonus on a Constitution-based roll 1/1
    Reference for Harrow deck rolls
    Spells and powers in effect: Water breathing

26. - Top - End - #626

NecromancerGuy

Show

Show
    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Initiative matters this time - the characters played by the players currently act in the following order:
    "Lydia" (24)
    "Frederick" (21)
    "Jan" (14)
    "Olofire" (10)
    "Marzena" (6)

The apparently-bound versions also have independent initiative rolls:
    "Marzena" (20)
    "Lydia" (17)
    "Olofire" (16)
    "Jan" (16)
    "Frederick" (8)

PC-"Lydia" attempts to (verbally) restrain PC-"Frederick."
    PC-"Frederick" barrels into combat, critical-hitting Bound-"Frederick" for 49 damage.
    Bound-"Marzena" glares at PC-"Frederick," inflicting him with an arcane debuff.
    Bound-"Lydia" pulls herself free and casts CLW on Bound-"Frederick."
    Bound-"Olofire" struggles against his bonds but is unable to free himself this round.
    Bound-"Jan" cries out at the vicious attack on Bound-"Frederick" and wriggles free of her bonds. She then casts Grease underneath PC-"Jan," "Olofire," and "Marzena." None of them fall.
    PC-"Jan" uses Acidic Ray on Bound-"Jan," hitting for 7 damage.
    PC-"Olofire" grapples PC-"Jan." She's not currently wielding a weapon, so no AoO.
    Bound-"Frederick" lunges away from PC-"Frederick," breaking free of his bonds in the process (Withdraw action)
    PC-"Marzena" demands for everyone to stop fighting and use their "fail-safe."

The party has never seen chaos on this level before, as things immediately devolve into shouting, spells, and attacks. "Lydia" doesn't hold the enraged "Frederick" back, leading to the massive half-orc charging at his bound double and landing a grievous blow to the other...who remains conscious!

At the shocking attack all of the bound "PCs" begin straining at their bonds and gags, with "Marzena" glaring at "Frederick" to inflict some sort of arcane power on him and "Lydia" pulling herself free from her bonds, stepping to her bound friend, and healing him with an immediately recognized healing spell. "Olofire" doesn't get free of the rope tying him down, but "Jan" does. With an angry expression she conjures a slick of grease underneath three of the "PCs" - "Olofire," "Marzena," and the original (?) of herself! None of the three fall, though a moment later "Jan" flicks acid at the still seated (and partially tied) gnome, hitting with an audible sizzle. "Olofire" tries to stop "Jan" from doing anything more, grabbing her and not letting go.

The injured "Frederick" kicks away from his attacker, pulling free of his bindings and scrambling away past "Lydia," who stands ready to intercept another charge from the original (?) "Frederick." And finally, "Marzena" demands everyone stop what they are doing to enact their safe-word-system before things get any worse...

This is fun!

Initiative order is going to be managed strictly for now. When things seem clear enough I might simplify things, we will see.

Begin Round 2! PC-"Lydia" and PC-"Frederick" are up to act.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick wastes no time, growling and continuing to pursue his double with single-minded focus. “For the rest of you, we’ll talk!” he roars, as he continues the chase.

Spoiler: Frederick, round 2
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    Uncanny Dodge
    Rage: 4/8
    Aura of courage
    Aura of resolve

move to G5
    Finish the job
    (1d20+14)[22] falchion
    (1d20+14)[27] CC (32+,x2)
    (2d4+10)[14] damage
    (2d4+10)[15] crit bonus

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"DAMN IT!!!" Lydia screams in frustration and whirls to look at Marzena, the only other one who seems to be talking sense. "There's no time for that now! Witness the power of Heironeous!!!" She thrusts her longspear high above her head, and a golden aura suddenly sounds her! Then, stepping out of the aura and almost appearing to step out of Lydia herself - there reappears the wolf-headed hound archon from before, unstrapping a greatsword from its back!

"We've been compromised!" Lydia yells at it. "Help us find the imposters!"

Show
    It's about to get even messier

Standard action cast summon monster IV, getting a hound archon (archon traits) who appears next to PC-"Lydia" in C/2.

The hound archon uses its action to cast detect evil. It'll take 3 rounds to pinpoint the dopplegangers, if it works at all, but it's the best Lydia's got!

Spoiler: Archon Aura of Menace
    Show
    Aura of Menace (Su) A righteous aura surrounds archons that fight or get angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of an archon must succeed on a Will save to resist its effects. The save DC varies with the type of archon, is Charisma-based, and includes a +2 racial bonus. Those who fail take a –2 penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for 24 hours or until they successfully hit the archon that generated the aura. A creature that has resisted or broken the effect cannot be affected again by the same archon’s aura for 24 hours.

Archon HP 39 / 39
    Archon duration 1 / 8 rounds

Spoiler: Lydia status
    Show
    Lydia Constantine Human Cleric 8 LG HP 75 / 67 Speed ft Init 7 AC 20 Fort 7 Ref 5 Will 9 CMB +9 BAB 6 +1 Longspear +10 / +5 (1d8 + 5, x3)
    +1 Longsword (2H) +10 / +5 (1d8 + 5, 19-20/x2)
    Heavy Mace (2H) +10 / +5 (1d8 + 4, x2)
    +1 Longspear (Power Attack) +8 / +3 (1d8 + 11, x3)
    +1 Longsword (Power Attack) +8 / +3 (1d8 + 11, 19-20/x2)
    Heavy Mace (Power Attack) +8 / +3 (1d8 + 10, x2) Str 16 (3) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 18 (4) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

Show

29. - Top - End - #629

NecromancerGuy

Show
    [IMG][/IMG]

Due to the Obscuring Mist spell active, you don't get a map! More confusion!

Show
    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    PC-"Lydia" (24)
    PC-"Frederick" (21)
    Prisoner-"Marzena" (20)
    Prisoner-"Lydia" (17)
    Prisoner-"Olofire" (16)
    Prisoner-"Jan" (16)
    PC-"Jan" (14)
    PC-"Olofire" (10)
    Prisoner-"Frederick" (8)
    PC-"Marzena" (6)

PC-Lydia summons a Hound Archon and directs it to find the imposters.
    The Hound Archon has constant Detect Evil active, so it looks at the assembled group and announces that none of the combatants are [Evil]. It also activates its Aura of Menace, though it's difficult to tell if anyone is affected.

PC-"Frederick" tries to move to G5, incurring an AoO from Prisoner-"Lydia," which she uses to trip him successfully. The attack of opportunity is triggered before the movement that triggered it is resolved, so he is prone in G5. Prisoner-"Lydia" lacks Improved Trip, so her AoO-trip incurs an AoO from Frederick, but he cannot get to Prisoner-"Frederick" to attack.

Prisoner-"Marzena" removes her gag and casts Obscuring Mist.
    Prisoner-"Lydia" 5-ft steps and heals Prisoner-"Frederick" with another Cure Light Wounds.
    Prisoner-"Olofire" gets free of his bindings, 5-ft steps to E5, and threatens the prone PC-"Frederick" with his claws.
    Prisoner-"Jan" 5-ft steps and begins encouraging the Prisoners verbally.

More chaos descends as PC-"Lydia" summons an angelic ally and PC-"Frederick" charges towards the injured Prisoner-"Frederick." First, the archon looks about the two rooms, concern visible on its canine face at its summoner's words. "Imposters? I see no evil here, mistress, only apparent clones. Shall I strike at the other one who wears your features?" Meanwhile, the half-orc paladin's charge at himself is interrupted as Prisoner-"Lydia" steps out and trips him, placing her own body in between the two apparent knights!

From her seated, semi-bound position Prisoner-"Marzena" gets a hand free, rips off her gag, and casts a spell instantly recognized by the PCs - Obscuring Mist, blocking all view in both rooms beyond arms length. The combatants are further isolated in the confusion, though everyone hears the Prisoner-"Lydia" cast familiar healing magic, presumably on her injured ally. The prone PC-"Frederick" then hears Prisoner-"Olofire" approach, apparently free of his bonds. "You fiend! Stay down or I'll shred you with my claws for wearing my friend's face!" he threatens as he comes into view in the mists.

"Freddy! Guys! Be brave - we'll figure this all out! Just get free of these ropes and knock them out!" cries Prisoner-"Jan" from the mists.

Mid-round update complete. I need an answer from @FarmerBink on if PC-"Frederick" will take an AoO vs Prisoner-"Lydia." We can apply his previous rolls, if so.

PC-"Jan" and PC-"Olofire" are up to act. Please remember that you are standing on Grease at the moment, so movement will require some skill checks. You also both start this round grappling with each other...

30. - Top - End - #630

DwarfBarbarianGuy

PALADINS AND CLERICS OF HEIRONEOUS STOP AT ONCE!!! LET'S SORT THIS OUT WITH NO MORE MISTAKES NOR REGRETS!!! As he yells over the chaos around him, he manuevers himself so he is on top of Jan pinning her beneath him and attempting to keep her from firing any other spells.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

CMB vs Jan's CMD 13 (1d20+9)[28] To maintain grapple and pin Jan.

That keeps Olofire with the grappled condition and loses Dex to AC.
    Spoiler: Grapple condition
    Show
    Grappled
    A grappled creature is restrained by a creature, trap, or effect. Grappled creatures cannot move and take a –4 penalty to Dexterity. A grappled creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and combat maneuver checks, except those made to grapple or escape a grapple. In addition, grappled creatures can take no action that requires two hands to perform. A grappled character who attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability must make a concentration check (DC 10 + grappler’s CMB + spell level), or lose the spell. Grappled creatures cannot make attacks of opportunity.

Jan is pinned.
    Spoiler: Pinned condition
    Show
    A pinned creature is tightly bound and can take few actions. A pinned creature cannot move and is denied its Dexterity bonus. A pinned character also takes an additional –4 penalty to his Armor Class. A pinned creature is limited in the actions that it can take. A pinned creature can always attempt to free itself, usually through a combat maneuver check or Escape Artist check. A pinned creature can take verbal and mental actions, but cannot cast any spells that require a somatic or material component. A pinned character who attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability must make a concentration check (DC 10 + grappler’s CMB + spell level) or lose the spell. Pinned is a more severe version of grappled, and their effects do not stack.

Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, CMD 15, Fort 7, Ref 17, Will 4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +1 Size, +2 Deflect)
    Condition Mutagen 53:12
    Animal Aspect (Otter) 2:24 15ft swim speed, and can hold breath longer
    -Panache 3/3

Last edited by Albinobrow; 2022-11-16 at 10:38 PM.