New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Age of Worms - The Hall of Harsh Reflections

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post

Olofire

Melezakan sighs and rolls his eyes. "The gods help me...another adventurer..." he mutters before setting down his eye-lens and rolling up his map. "Of course I've got maps of the lands around Greyhawk, and even one or two of all of the Flanaess. Here, let me get some out for you..." says the gnome as he continues to mutter and collect several maps for Olofire to select.

Olofire is quickly presented with several maps of different kinds - world maps, several of the lands around the Free City of Greyhawk, and a bundle of maps detailing streets and noteworthy features (like post offices) within the city walls. Melezakan only has two maps outlining sewers and other waterways, and they're somewhat old.

Spoiler: Map Mechanics
    Show
    By purchasing regular maps (50 GP each) you get something similar to this:

If you want to bump that bonus up to a +2, it will need to be a "Masterwork Tool" (an extra 50 GP each, for 100 GP total). I will allow multiple maps to help towards the same effort, since by comparing them you can put together more than you would have with only a single map.
    Heh heh.. Yeah, another adventurer.. Dr. Olofire sheepishly looks over the maps and picks out the ones he wants. After paying the shop keep and collecting his wares, he reaches into his bag and pulls out some more coin and slides it across the counter, In all sincerity, I would appreciate your discretion and just keep this between us please.

Once he's collected his new maps, he then makes his way to join the others.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

I would like to purchase a masterwork map of the city proper (streets and businesses etc.), a masterwork map that includes the sewers, a masterwork map of the lands around Greyhawk, and another masterwork map of all of Flanaess. 4 masterwork maps for 400gp. After that Olofire will give an extra 50gp incentivizing his secrecy.

(1d20+19)[31] Slight of hand to subtly give the coins (includes bonus from heroism)
    (1d20+5)[7] Diplomacy(?) to hopefully convince him to secrecy (includes the bonus from heroism)

Spoiler: Character Stats
    Show

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 7/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 9, Init 5, HP 37/64, Speed 30 ft
    AC 21, Touch 17, Flat-footed 15, CMD 21, Fort 7, Ref 14, Will 5, CMB +5/0, Base Attack Bonus +6/+1
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +13/+8 (not mutated, +15/+10 mutated) (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +12 (not mutated, +14 mutated) (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +15 (1d4+8, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 9
    Condition Preserve Organs 25% chance to ignore crit or sneak attack
    Heroism 65:00mins
    -Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 0/1
    -Panache 3/3
    -Spontaneous Healing 1/3 left today

Last edited by Albinobrow; 2023-10-31 at 09:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

"... Will you both submit to a brief, magical inspection to determine you are, in fact, aligned with the Church?"
    Frederick nods, distinctly removing his hand from the region of his blades. As they approach, he confirms (near-instantly) that they are themselves non-evil, and stands patiently with his helmet tucked under the other arm. He patiently answers a few questions, not quite before they're asked, but swiftly enough that he clearly knew the appropriate responses before the prompts were voiced.

As the inquisitors move on to their next assignments, Frederick smirks a bit. "I think they must wonder what to make of us," he chuckles quietly. Recalling his own participation on a similar errand many moons past, and a few training endeavors of similar make, his smile falters at the oddity. "Too many would be able to fool such efforts," he admits. "Once I thought the Sanctum impenetrable..."

With obvious relief, Frederick joins Jan and Lydia. "We live in strange times," he grunts. "Thank you," he offers simply as a young cleric hands him a plate. As she leaves, he turns back to his companions with a stern expression. "They won't find any shapeshifters," he states. "If we have the means to reveal them, only a few of us can bring them to bear. It would take great expertise to even identify those worthy of deeper inspection..."

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    With obvious relief, Frederick joins Jan and Lydia. "We live in strange times," he grunts. "Thank you," he offers simply as a young cleric hands him a plate. As she leaves, he turns back to his companions with a stern expression. "They won't find any shapeshifters," he states. "If we have the means to reveal them, only a few of us can bring them to bear. It would take great expertise to even identify those worthy of deeper inspection..."
    "Come, Frederick, have a little faith," Lydia deadpans, finishing the last bite of her meal. "Despite whatever maverick gossip you paladins may spread, the Church is more than capable of handling a few errant shapeshifters. War Priest Holly is handling the verifications personally." She nods to herself, as if that settles the matter. "Oh! Speaking of, she informed us that there's someone here to meet with you. I think you, in particular: some family members of your late traveling companion, Lyr." She glances at Jan but keeps her opinion of the vagabond clergyman to herself, this time.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

4. - Top - End - #814
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Indeed? Well, I've already heard some of the story, when you all first arrived, but now I'm curious. No, no, Priestess, I want to hear from Jan - she seems to have known this...Lyr...personally. Please tell me more..."
    Jan stands to her full (though still unimpressive) height, adopting a clearly puffed-up posture, and in a grandiose tone begins, "It would be my pleasure! Given the dire threat that this undead plague presents to all life as we know it, good gods willing, the name of Lyr will one day be held in honor far and wide! For despite his humble vocation as a devotee of the Dweller on the Horizon, he shied not away from the greater call of heroism, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with mighty Frederick against the forces of darkness! Why..." the gnome launches into a dramatic retelling of her time with Lyr, emphasizing his friendly and charitable nature (and glossing over some of his more ambiguous characteristics) and the dramatic circumstances of his death, accompanied by illusory depictions of the lost companion wielding his flying blade against all manner of foes.

"...and that, my friends, is merely Lyr's final adventure. Perhaps he will one day tell the rest, Fharlanghn willing, after I cross the horizon beyond which he precedes me. Until then," she gaze into the middle distance, "I will fight to protect the good folk of this land in his honor and memory, as long as the good gods strengthen me so to do."

After an appropriately dramatic pause, during which she nods sagely at nobody in particular, she abruptly turns from the unconsciously-gathered audience to face War-Priest Holly directly. "So where's the mess hall, now? I could definitely go for a nice, hot meal after the last couple of days!" She gives a sudden, wolfish grin.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

5. - Top - End - #815
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With the party all together again, they can go over their discoveries and review the maps Olofire has purchased. During the lockdown of the Sanctum no one approaches to bother the PCs as they make plans, including the relative of Lyr that is rumored to be looking for Frederick. You are able to rest and recover, either here or at the Crooked House, and begin the next day fully refreshed and ready for business.

When the party begins looking they start in the Artisan's District. Rather close to the map shop where Olofire purchased his new collection they find a business called the "Cold Forge" - an armor and weapon smithy run by a foul-mouther old smith named Crusty Patten. There are numerous ways down into the sewers from the streets, including one out of sight in an alley behind the various businesses.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    This would be easier around a table, but you all managed well enough so I want to get us going...

Finding the next dungeon requires some skill checks. You've already learned a bit about Beggar's Gold, the fungus found on the dead drows' boots. At the discovery of the Cold Forge several of you remember that the fungus often grows in sewers near smithies or forges.

Olofire's efforts have accomplished the "Gather Information" check needed to find the Cold Forge.

Once you enter the sewers you will need to pass five DC 10 Survival checks, keeping an eye out for phosphorescent mold, to find the entrance to the dungeon. As no one in the party is a Ranger or Druid (Lydia has the highest Survival modifier at +4) I went ahead and did the rolls for you.

After slipping into the sewers and establishing their light sources and marching orders, the party encounters several minor threats - a wandering gelatinous cube, some darkmantles, and a couple of carrion crawlers - all of which are either dispatched or avoided easily. At one point, early in their exploration, Lydia finds the body of a male human with a large hole in the back of his rotting head. It's a grisly reminder of the threat they face down below the Free City of Greyhawk.

About three hours into the day the PCs find a rather large patch of Beggar's Gold just off an ancient and particularly deep (60 ft underground) sewer tunnel. Here the sewers cross with some natural caves full of the usual stalactites and stalagmites, with a ceiling about twenty feet above. The caves are utterly dark with the exception of the entrance's glowing fungus - there is no light inside except what the PCs bring with them. The natural tunnel walls are unworked stone and the floor is uneven and slippery in most places, making the ground difficult terrain unless otherwise noted.

The first large cavern the PCs find has patches of phosphorescent fungus lighting it. There are huge swaths of the Beggar's Gold fungus and toadstools of various sizes, some the size of a full grown human.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

I recommend that the players review carefully the sorts of dangers that can occur underground (Mundane Environmental Hazards). We haven't dealt with many of these in a long time (real world), but your PCs would know that such threats exist. Also, there are many, many varieties of interesting (and dangerous) fungus used in old-school style dungeon crawls, especially where Underdark dwellers are concerned.

6. - Top - End - #816

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This looks like the place. Stay close, stay quiet. Dr. Olofire drinks a dark charcoal extract and the pupils of his eyes seem to widen and expand, overtaking the iris and white's of his eyes. All that is visible is the dark of the iris and with a type of eyeshine that allows him to see better in the dark. He makes his way to the edge of the growth and examines the fungus in it's natural environment.

Show

Drink a darkvision extract. And then move up to the edge of the growth close to one of the giant toadstools and do a nature check to see if I can glean any more info from them. Knowledge Nature (1d20+18)[26]

Also, during the night before he would have had time to add 1 spell from the wizard/barbarian's spellbook to his formulae book. I decided the 1v spell would be Fly for 90gp. I already subtracted gp from my sheet.

Spoiler: Character stats
    Show

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 7/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 9, Init 5, HP 64/64, Speed 30 ft
    AC 21, Touch 17, Flat-footed 15, CMD 21, Fort 7, Ref 14, Will 5, CMB +5/0, Base Attack Bonus +6/+1
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +13/+8 (not mutated, +15/+10 mutated) (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Darkvision 07:00:00
    -Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 1/1
    -Panache 3/3
    -Spontaneous Healing 3/3 left today

Last edited by Albinobrow; 2023-11-18 at 02:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #817

Marzena's eyes adjust quickly to the low-light conditions, and her soldier training accustomed her to much worse environments than her native city's sewers. Still, she has to admit that the encounter of a corpse, while not entirely shocking, is unwelcome. She doesn't comment, though, her mind firmly focused on the task at hand. As the company finds the likely entrance to the next den of enemies on their journey, she approaches the fungus cautiously, looking at them in the eerie light the phosphorous ones produce.

Spoiler
    Show
    Before departing, she will have cast Mage Armor and False Life ((1d10+9)[14] temp hp), and she will have used her Harrowed feat ((1d6)[3] and (1d9)[8]: That's the Sickness, a Constitution card.

As appropriate:
    Knowledge(Dungeoneering) (1d10+15)[21]
    Knowledge(Nature) (1d10+17)[24]

Spoiler: stats
    Show
    Marzena Human (F) Cartomancer Witch 9 CG
    HP 70 / 70 (includes 14 temp hp) Speed 30 ft
    Init +3 (+5 if Lydia is in sight) Senses Low-light vision
    AC 16 (Mage Armor) Fort +6 Ref +8 Will +10
    BAB[/b] +4 [b] CMB +3
    Harrow Card +7 (1d4+2, 20/x2)
    Dagger +3 (1d4-1, 19/x2)
    Str 8 (-1) Dex 14 (2) Con 12 (1) Wis 12 (1) Int 21 (6) Cha 10 (0)
    Powers per day Fly 9/9 minutes, Levitate 1/1, Augury 2/week, Harrowed feat: Draw Harrow card for +2 to 1 check 1/1, +2 bonus on a Constitution -based roll 1/1
    Active spells: Mage Armor (9 hours), False Life (9 hours)
    Link to Harrow deck post.[/url]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2023-11-18 at 07:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan seems unusually cheery as the group makes their way into the sewer and its subterranean environs, favoring the rotting corpse with a wry, "And a top of the morning to you as well!" as they pass.

When the darkness becomes too oppressive for even the gnome's senses, she peers down at the rough-hewn floors before pointing an imperious finger and mumbling unintelligibly toward what turns out to be a tooth, uncomfortably large for the sewer's limited width, and it begins to glow with a warm light. With a lifting gesture and more apparent nonsensical words, the tooth rises from the sewer floor and begins to drift lazily in front of the party. "There, that oughtta do it!" chatters the sorceress.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast Light and Mage Hand obviously, to create a floating torch for the party. She will follow at whatever distance Olofire seems to find satisfactory, behind Frederick of course.
    Used one charge of the wand of Mage Armor in preparation for potential hostilities.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Janstina Silentall
    F Chaotic Good Gnome Sorcerer, Level 9, Init 10, HP 68/68, Speed 20
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 13, Fort 6, Ref 6, Will 6, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Acidic Ray Ranged (1d6+1/2lvl, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d3-2, x2, 19-20)
    (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 24
    Condition Mage Armor, +4AC, ~1 hr remaining

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    "And a top of the morning to you as well!"
    Frederick snorts quietly and strides abreast with the little sorceress; deliberately wary of their surroundings he nonetheless is unwilling to give their presence away entirely by his heavy footfalls.

At Marzena's fairly expected discovery, he allows his pace to slacken, giving a bit more distance between himself and those potentially able to handle the situation with tact.

10. - Top - End - #820

"Guys. Step cautiously." Marzena's tone is all business, her mindset instantly switching to combat mode. In a flash, she remembers the sergeant instructing her about enemy dirty tricks on the battlefield. One wrong step, you could be a goner. "This one is called yellow mold, touch it and it will spill poison everywhere. This one... and this one... and here... Shriekers. Approach less than 10 feet, and they'll start a huge ruckus."

She takes a few more seconds to think, carefully eyeing the entire area. "Looks like there is no way to pass without triggering these. However... I recall that yellow mold dies when exposed to fire. Doctor, I'm sure you can take care of this for us, right? But first... Reverend Lydia, I recall that when we discussed battle tactics, you mentioned divine magic that's capable of snuffing noise out?"
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2023-11-29 at 03:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #821

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Lydia nods as Marzena describes the fungi and plan of action that might circumvent the issues, Ok Marzena, that sounds like a plan. Are you ready doctor? She turns to Dr. Olofire, touching the iron holy symbol as she prepares to cast her spell. Dr Olofire grabs a flask of alchemist fire and instead of throwing it he unstops it and nods back to Lydia.

Once she has cast her spell he quickly and extremely carefully moves forward through the fungus, using the contents of the alchemist fire to burn out a path for the party to get through to the other side.

Show

Lydia will cast Silence on Olofire and Olofire will use the 1 alchemist fire flask to make a path as discussed in discord.
    Show

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 7/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 9, Init 5, HP 64/64, Speed 30 ft
    Darkvision 06:59:30
    -Panache 3/3

Lydia's Sheet When I'm able I'll transfer the sheet into my mythweavers to be able to update.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick glares from the shadows, axe in hand, as Olofire plays amateur arsonist on the fungus. "Good enough for me," he rumbles, at the sight of mushrooms burning away in eerie silence.

He nods approvingly at the Halfling, gesturing that he should press on while protected by his magical silence.

13. - Top - End - #823

NecromancerGuy

The party carefully skulks through the fungi with the aid of divine Silence, preventing any alarms from being sounded as they get past the entrance. Their light sources may warn guards ahead, but the Shriekers' noise won't warn anyone beyond the radius of the party's light sources. The natural rock tunnel looks to be hollowed out of the rock by water, likely originally from the sewers, and continues generally to the northeast.

How do you move forward? Do you do anything to hide your lights? You recall that four drow elves (famous for their natural darkvision) were part of the attack that led you here.

I at least need a marching order and Stealth checks, as the Silence spell expires in rounds, not minutes. Perception checks will also help.

14. - Top - End - #824

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Let's snuff the lights for now. I'll lead the way guiding Lydia with her spear and everyone follow along. When there's trouble, I'll drop the spear and we can throw up some light to deal with whatever comes up.

Show

Olofire will take the lead and guide Lydia by holding the onto her longspear. Then if there is trouble he'll let go and that will be the cue that there's trouble and to throw up light once more.

Stealth (1d20+21)[33]
    Perception (1d20+14)[21] (additional +1 vs traps)
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2023-12-09 at 05:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick looks down at Olofire and nods. He grips the leather-wrapped haft of his axe and glares into the darkness, silently daring any Drow to show themselves.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I concur with Olofire's plan!

16. - Top - End - #826

Marzena grabs the little luminous stone that's been orbiting around her since the group entered the sewers. She tightens her first around it to snuff the light out, and with her other hand she takes Lydia's free hand, ready to be guided by the Doctor.

Spoiler
    Show
    She takes her Ioun Torch, ready to launch it again in case something happens.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan watches Olofire's cautious and precise destruction of the mold to create a path with mild curiosity, and tiptoes carefully through the fungus-infested area, releasing a heavy (but silent) sigh upon reaching clean ground once again. Chuckling (again, silently) to herself, she pads to a safe distance beyond while idly directing her makeshift lamp to peer into the crevices near the ceiling of the cave.

As the plan becomes apparent, Jan looks at the floating, glowing tooth with distaste. "I think I'll let this one go... don't know where it's been, after all." After allowing it to drift down to the floor, the sorcerer selects a plain (and seemingly clean) stone from the floor. After a close inspection, she nods in a satisfied manner before casting another Light cantrip upon it, and depositing it into a pocket within her robes to conceal its light. "Oh, and one more thing..." While whispering theatrically surreptitious gibberish, the gnome points toward each member of the party before whispering, "Just in case Olofire needs to whisper...".

Show
    Casting Message to allow a stealthy whisper if needed. Why not, right?

Finally, she reaches out with an... unusually long arm for a gnome, easily reaching Marzena's shoulder to grasp it firmly. "Here goes nothing, eh?"

Show
    Assuming Frederick is rearguard as usual?

18. - Top - End - #828

NecromancerGuy

As the party quietly slips down the gently sloping passageway, Olofire notes a bit of pale green light ahead, shifting about. A moment later he identifies the quiet sound of running water right before stepping into a large chamber dominated on the far side by a pool of water. Likely formed by a leak in a cistern above, this pool drains via a small stream, no more than a foot deep and maybe two wide, that flows out of the room near the halfling doctor. Something in the pool gives off the green light Olofire saw, and the shimmering is due to the constantly flowing water.

On the far end of the pool, coiled around a stalagmite near the water's edge, is a large snake-creature with a vaguely humanoid head and a cobra hood. At the arrival of the PCs it rises up, easily longer than Frederick is tall, and stares intently at Olofire. "What isss thisss? Not a drow, but littler. Why do you wake Fassash - it is rude to wake a sssleeping sssnake!" hisses the creature. It doesn't move to attack, but clearly wasn't expecting the party and isn't happy to see them. "Come clossser if you like - perhapsss if you ssshow ressspect we can be friendsss..."

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Spoiler: Knowledge (Dungeoneering) DC 19
    Show
    This creature is some variety of Spirit Naga. Chaotic Evil, haughty, and venomous, these are the witches of the naga species, capable of casting spells much like a sorcerer, though they also have access to many spells traditionally considered only divine in nature. They have a charming gaze and can be dangerous opponents when threatened or equally dangerous allies with some bargaining.

How do you proceed? So far no alarm seems to have been sounded - if this is a guardian it is an unusual one.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan peers across the chamber, eyes widening as she takes in the serpentine creature. "Well," she calls as she pushes her way to the fore, "I can assure you that we did not mean to interrupt your slumber! We are seeking other quarry... not even the draw with which you seem to be familiar, but stranger game yet. But clearly, if this is your home, far be it from us to further disturb you!"

In a hushed whisper over the Message spell, she breathes, "It's a naga... witch of sorts. Be cautious... and keep your wits about you."

Show
    Diplomacy check to improve attitude: (1d20+14)[24]
    Bluff check is at +13... dunno if that's valuable for hiding the whisper or otherwise being cagey. :D

20. - Top - End - #830

NecromancerGuy

"Why don't you come clossser, little gnome. We can discussss it more..." says the naga, Fassash. As it hisses it slithers forward, slowly, without obviously threatening the party. "You got passst the drow guardsss - that mussst have been clever. They don't bother me - their massster keepsss them on a tight leasssh. Why are you here? What will you offer for me to go back to sssleep?"

The spirit naga has slithered forward about 5-10 feet, where it stops and takes a position much like a cobra rising up with its hood flared. It looks at the party closely, obviously expecting them to offer something for safe passage. If it has used any magic against you yet, you haven't noticed.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan swallows nervously as the creature begins to slither nearer. "You guys remember the stories about these snakes that hypnotize, right??" she whispers to her allies.

In a firmer (and louder) tone, she addresses the snake-creature: "It seems this 'master' is the one with whom we have, erm, unfinished business. His... 'minions' are causing trouble, and we're here to root it out. They may be little more than a nuisance to you, but things change. I think it's in our mutual interest to part ways amicably, so that we can address this 'master' before he decides to expand into your territory."

Show
    I figure the first Diplomacy was to improve attitude, this is to "make a request" (?): (1d20+14)[29]

22. - Top - End - #832

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'm very glad to hear they haven't bothered, because they have bothered us quite a lot. We're on our way to eradicate the master and the minions. Then they won't be a bother to either of us anymore! Lydia shows genuine relief at the news that Fassash isn't bothered.

Olofire, content to let the ladies talk, tries to make his way towards the next leg of they're crawl, trying to coax Lydia to follow him as he pulls on her spear with both hands. He whispers urgently to her,Come on Lydia, this way.

What would help you go to sleep? I don't believe a cup of warm milk would quite do it for you. Lydia inquires of the naga, barely allowing Olofire to lead her.

Show

Olofire will make his was around the room, mostly ignoring the naga. And pulling Lydia along with him. He only makes it about 10ft or so with her.

Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Abilities Str 10, Dex null, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 9
    Darkvision 06:59:24
    -Panache 3/3

Lydia's Sheet

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick stomps forward, having heard the unlikely exchange between Naga and Gnome. "I will offer you your life, foul creature," he growls, starting in defiance, slightly upward into the reptile's raised face. "Your wiles and whims don't scare me, and any preying you may have done on the citizens above is more than enough cause for me to wipe you from the world like a grease stain. You will stand aside and give us no reason to think you've alerted our quarry or you will die in this room." He flexes his arm, causing the rattle of metal on metal to echo in the cavern as he grips his axe poised to charge.

"Choose."

Spoiler: Intimidate? XD
    Show
    (1d20+23)[41]

24. - Top - End - #834

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sir Frederick! Stand down! We are the ones who entered this chamber and woke him. There’s no need for threats right now, save it for the drow.

Forgive us Fassash, I’m sure I have something I can give you and we’ll be on our way. What do you prefer?
    Lydia kneels in place searching through her pack for anything she might be able to offer the naga.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

"So she's already under your sway? Very well. You have chosen."

Frederick wastes no more time on talk, instead charging forward with his axe bared for violence!

Show
    (1d20+3)[12] initiative

26. - Top - End - #836

"Didn't think regular diplomacy would work", Marzena remarks drily as she prepares to cast a spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+3)[17]

Show
    BAB[/b] +4 [b] CMB +3
    Dagger +3 (1d4-1, 19/x2)
    Powers per day Fly 9/9 minutes, Levitate 1/1, Augury 2/week, Harrowed feat: Draw Harrow card for +2 to 1 check 1/1, +2 bonus on a Constitution -based roll 1/1

27. - Top - End - #837

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Map Round 1
    Show

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Fassash beats the PCs on initiative with a 24. It immediately casts Invisibility and disappears from view, slithering away from its starting position.

With an unhappy hiss the spirit naga spits some arcane words before vanishing from view! "Arrogant apesss! Ssshould be more ressspectful of your bettersss!" Fassash mutters as the echoes in the chamber mask its movement...

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 17
    Show
    Fassash cast Invisibility as a sorcerer would (it's an arcane spell).

Spoiler: Perception DC 47
    Show
    Fassash slithered away, behind the large portion of rock wall to the northeast northwest of the room. It sounds like it may have climbed the walls to get up off the floor.

Fassash has disappeared from view and not attacked the PCs. Do you try to find it to attack or move on (potentially ending combat)? @AlbinoBrow - please continue to handle Lydia, as she is still charmed and considers Fassash a trusted friend.

The gaze attack does not function while Fassash is invisible, but if/when you can see him again please explicitly state how/if your PCs are avoiding looking into its face.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan's eyes narrow appraisingly at sounds of spell casting that are oddly familiar... and then she grins viciously before murmuring "Oh, no you don't!" and, backpedaling slightly into the comparative safety of the group around her, begins her own casting!

In the dim light of the cave, it's difficult to see the subtle change in the reflections coming from the gnome's wide-set eyes, but a triumphant expression flashes across her features. "Ha! This 'arrogant ape' can see past your trickery! I suggest you continue your cowering, else we may find out who are the 'betters' here!"

Turning to catch the gazes of the party, and most notably Frederick, Jan makes a sweeping gesture, ending with one finger jabbing imperiously toward a segment of rock wall in the northeast of the chamber, seemingly indicating the path along with Fassash must have traveled, and the rock wall behind which it seems to have hidden...

Show
    Jan correctly IDs the spell, rolled OOC, and casts See Invisibility. Assuming that she makes out the location of the foe, she will use her peripheral vision while facing near the enemy, but will point directly at the creature to make clear that she can see it. She detects the direction in which the enemy fled, and points toward the rock wall.

If she can make an Intimidate check in the Move action, why not: (1d20+13)[29]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Janstina Silentall
    F Chaotic Good Gnome Sorcerer, Level 9, Init 10, HP 68/68, Speed 20
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 13, Fort 6, Ref 6, Will 6, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Acidic Ray Ranged (1d6+1/2lvl, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d3-2, x2, 19-20)
    (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size, +0 Misc)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 24
    Condition Mage Armor, +4AC, ~1 hr remaining
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2023-12-30 at 03:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #839

The deck of cards appears in Marzena's hands, and she begins casting.

"Non, ce serpent n'est en rien charmant
    Ton admiration n'est qu'artifice
    Retrouve ici ton jugement
    Je te libère de ce maléfice!"

She points at Lydia, hoping to shake off her fascination for the obvious enemy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action, grab deck of cards
    Standard action, dispel magic (1d20+9)[19]

Show
    BAB[/b] +4 [b] CMB +3
    Dagger +3 (1d4-1, 19/x2)

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick glances to Jan and follows her gesture. Squinting as if in some fain effort to pierce the veil, he prowls forward, axe still ready to strike.

Spoiler: Frederick, round 1
    Show
    Frederick Armstrong
    M LG Half-Orc Paladin 9 (VMC Barbarian), Level 9, Init 3, HP 76/76, Speed 20
    AC 23, Touch 12, Flat-footed 23, CMD 26, Fort 10, Ref 6, Will 8, CMB +14/+9, Base Attack Bonus 9/4, Power Points -/0
    Greataxe, +1 Frost +15/+10 (1d12+8 +1d6 cold, x3)
    Trident, +1 Returning +15/+10 or +10 (thrown) (1d8+6, x2)
    Composite Longbow (MW +3 str) (40 standard arrows) +10/+5 (1d8+3, x3)
    Full Plate +1, Heavy Steel Shield of Blinding +1 (+10 Armor, +2 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Condition Irrepressible: Cha isntead of Wis for charm/compulsion will saves
    Power Attack (-3 attack, +6 damage (+9 two-hander))
    Uncanny Dodge
    Lay on Hands: 7/7 (4d6, removes fatigue, disease)
    Smite Evil: 3/3
    Divine Bond: 1/1
    Rage: 10/10
    Grace: 1/1
    Hero's Defiance: 1/1
    Paladin's Sacrifice: 1/1
    Righteous Vigor: 1/1
    Aura of courage
    Aura of resolve
    +2 init from Lydia

Double move northish? To like... G/6?