New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Age of Worms - The Hall of Harsh Reflections

"WAIT! Stop right there!" the professor calls out from behind a collection of bubbling beakers, brilliantly colored vials, and at least eight different colors of Bunsen burner flames. "Don't come forward - that door should be locked...wait there for a moment..." he continues as he appears to juggle apple-sized brightly shining polyhedrons into several porcelain bowls nearby with gentle streams of clear liquid flowing into them from crystal spouts. The display of dexterity would be impressive on its own, but the complexity of what is happening alchemically demonstrates skill bordering on divinely inspired performance art. After about a minute more things seem to simmer down and Dr. Ashglade steps out of his laboratory, dousing the lights and locking the door behind him. "Had you come inside the heat from your bodies would have increased the ambient temperature past the safe point and it's likely that would have all blown up...well...Clerkburg. Now, while my universal lycanthropy-cure matures, what brings you here, Dr. Lightfoot? How goes your experiments into improved wound-repair on pre-mortem humanoids?"

2. - Top - End - #122

Marzena, in the background, makes a polite little bow, taking great pains to suppress the hilarity that flows through her on meeting such an archetypical academic. This brings some cherished memories of the more amusing times she had as a student herself, a few years back...

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The little Doctor's face brightens up, more than any of his current party had seen before, as he sees his old professor's lab! "A universal lycanthrope cure! How are you conducting it without some source of moon light? Wait.. Of course! As the drops fall onto the polyhedrons, the clear liquid is refracting the light away from the bowls, simulating the moonlight! Brilliant! Were the angle of those polyhedrons slightly off the admixture would become inert! And I have made many strides in my research. I have, to some degree found a way to speed one's natural healing to mere moments! While it is not a great mount of repair, it'll do in a pinch. In fact I had hoped to pick your brain with regards to..." He pauses and looks back over his shoulder at the group before regaining his composure.

"For the last several months I have been traveling and working closely with this group. This is Sir Fredrick Strongarm, paladin of Heironeous. Miss Janstina Silentall, a sorceress. Lady Lydia Constantine, cleric of Heironeous. And Lady Marzena, battleamge of Blackwall Keep." He motions to each in turn. "This small company has seen much and it is why we came here to seek your council. It's slightly ironic you label my work as "improved wound-repair on pre-mortum humanoids". We have recently encountered several post-mortum hunanoids. Who are able to self repair at a remarkable rate. Their mere presence is capable of sending all but the most stalwart running in the other direction." He pauses briefly to consider his next words.

"Actually, how much do you pay attention to the ravings of the rain barrel man?"
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2021-05-12 at 09:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124

NecromancerGuy

"How do you do?" asks Dr. Ashglade politely as he is introduced to the party. Then, when Olofire asks about the Rain Barrel Man one eyebrow raises and he looks in confusion at his pupil. "I don't. But you all look like an adventuring company, and I have some experience with those. In fact, I expect to be leaving tomorrow, shortly after breakfast with my current company to attempt to administer that concoction to some needy folks in the Free Lands of Dyvers. It seems an outbreak occurred several months back and we've been able to get the folks to quarantine. There are some pretty serious issues with some of their neighbors...it's likely to get pretty violent...

But you aren't here to listen to my troubles. You need something. What is it? I hope you're doing good work - there's nothing more important, you know...
    "

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick gives Olofire more than a little room to enter and conduct himself in the university as he sees fit. Still, he makes a truly remarkable sight- a brutish Half-Orc in spiked full plate marching resolutely through a place of learning. He snorts more than a few times as he clanks through the halls, though his expression remains somewhat markedly more pleasant than usual.

After a time, he mutters to Jan, "It's just like the Sanctum, except... well... different." He chuckles at the lameness of his explanation. "Everyone is watching, waiting to see what someone else will do. Nobody knows what to make of us, at least not the students." He continues chuckling quietly, until Olofire introduces him. He inclines his head respectfully to Dr. Ashglade, and raises an eyebrow in curiosity at mention of the man's traveling companions. He keeps his peace, however, rather than interrupting Olofire's description.

6. - Top - End - #126

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Yes, I believe the work we are completing is for good. In fact it may be more than just good." He pauses for a moment. "As for the Rain Barrel Man, you and I both know that his ravings are that of a mad man and not to be taken seriously. However, today walking here he spoke of an Age of Worms. A time where death and decay spreads rampant. Undead are rising and are strengthened by these worms. We have seen them. Fought them. Many people, soldiers even, have fallen and risen again bolstered by these creatures. As I mentioned, they have stitched their own wounds in a moment right before my eyes. Their mere presence can send people running in fear. Not only that, they are intelligent. We have heard them conversing, strategizing with each other coming up with a plan of attack. Have you heard or seen anything like this before?

7. - Top - End - #127

NecromancerGuy

Dr. Ashglade's expression darkens at Olofire's words and he takes the party aside to a more private room (away from the students and classes) and sits down to listen in more detail. After they have completely recounted their story (in as much or as little detail as desired) he sits back and thinks quietly for several moments. "As you know, Dr. Lightfoot, alchemy is a powerful force, but somewhat limited in the capacity to influence more-intense magical powers. It is a difficulty that even our greatest minds haven't ever overcome - we simply cannot reproduce the raw power of the most talented arcane magic users or the most blessed and divinely-connected priests. What you describe borders upon the impossible for members of our field, but perhaps we can help. What exactly have you found you need? I'm not familiar with the history or mechanics of negative energy and these worms, but perhaps I can help if you have something very specific in mind..."

Hand-waving the story re-telling. I need specifics for any of the alchemy professors to help. What do you hope to accomplish by involving them in this? The Age of Worms is somewhat obscure knowledge, centered around ancient history and religious cults (which you will learn later from Eligos). Otherwise, hardly anyone will have ever even heard of it.

On the other hand, combatting undead and unholy transformations is something alchemists might be able to help you do. What tools, focused-knowledge, or tactical advise are you looking to get while at the Alchemy College?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan's expression remains peevish, and she follows Olofire to his mentor's office largely in silence. The warning voice in response to her companion's knocks and attempt to open the door jar her from her introspection, however; in spite of the tone and warning, the tiny gnome darts forward, squeezing by her companions to peer through the gap between door and frame in a desperate attempt to catch a glimpse of... whatever is happening inside! Staring, mouth agape, at the flames and vials and shapes being manipulated within, the tiny gnome holds her peace until the party is welcomed into the room. Giggling giddily, she claps her hands in response to the skillful display. "Magnificent, professor! I have no idea what you were doing," she chuckles, "but simply marvelous, all the same!"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "What exactly have you found you need? I'm not familiar with the history or mechanics of negative energy and these worms, but perhaps I can help if you have something very specific in mind..."
    Jan pipes up once more (having interjected frequently in the retelling of their various encounters with the worms): "Well, given those... 'limitations' on alchemy... do you have some alchemical recommendations for those of us who aren't personal representatives of good gods," she hooks one tiny thumb toward Frederick pointedly, "and therefore particularly resistant to supernatural fear and diseases? Sooner or later, we're gonna run up against too many of these things for even such stalwarts to stand alone."
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

9. - Top - End - #129

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    Jan pipes up once more (having interjected frequently in the retelling of their various encounters with the worms): "Well, given those... 'limitations' on alchemy... do you have some alchemical recommendations for those of us who aren't personal representatives of good gods," she hooks one tiny thumb toward Frederick pointedly, "and therefore particularly resistant to supernatural fear and diseases? Sooner or later, we're gonna run up against too many of these things for even such stalwarts to stand alone."
    "Yes that would be a great help. If it weren't for Mr. Strongarm here, I would've been far worse off during our last encounter with these undead. And, since they are undead, we were also hoping to speak with Dr. Ellandra Tolbert. Do you know where we might find her?"

10. - Top - End - #130

NecromancerGuy

"... do you have some alchemical recommendations for those of us who aren't personal representatives of good gods, and therefore particularly resistant to supernatural fear and diseases?"
    Dr. Ashglade smiles briefly at Jan before shrugging and looking into the middle distance, unseeing as he thinks about his answer. "The most obvious option is for you to learn alchemy yourself and develop a cognatogen - a variation of a mutagen that can increase the user's mental capacity in a variety of ways. You could also prepare extracts that can cause effects like several spells, colloquially called Aid, or perhaps Rage, even Spell Immunity, if you find a skilled enough alchemist, that is. But honestly, none of that is really anything that couldn't be done more easily by a cleric or wizard. The alchemical mixtures could be put into potion form, of course, but presumably you could have figured that out on your own..."

Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    "And, since they are undead, we were also hoping to speak with Dr. Ellandra Tolbert. Do you know where we might find her?"
    "Lady Tolbert? Wow, she's a tough cookie...That will take some time, but I can try. She's even more selective about the students and faculty she sees than Nolzurites. I don't think she has taught any public classes in several years...She might have a private student she tutors, but finding well-behaved necromancy students is probably difficult.

I think she has a private apartment in the High Quarter...but I've never heard of her accepting unsolicited visitors...What do you want to ask her?
    "

11. - Top - End - #131

Marzena clears her throat. In the presence of such a learned scholar, one that is quite liable to launch into a passionate lecture about a most beloved subject, she's always found it best to be brief and to the point. "Doctor, we wish to learn as much as we can from the Lady Tolbert about these Kyuss spawn, especially if even worse varieties exist, as we have heard. And of course, how to best fight them. One specific example could be, if she could let us know where an amulet that enacts a fear-countering effect can be acquired."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Lady Tolbert? Wow, she's a tough cookie...That will take some time, but I can try. She's even more selective about the students and faculty she sees than Nolzurites. I don't think she has taught any public classes in several years...She might have a private student she tutors, but finding well-behaved necromancy students is probably difficult.

I think she has a private apartment in the High Quarter...but I've never heard of her accepting unsolicited visitors...What do you want to ask her?
    "
    "Well," begins Jan, "I think for starters, whether she's ever heard of Kyuss, or spawn thereof, or anything that sounds like that rare breed of shuffling, undead abomination with which we're becoming so familiar." Smiling wryly, the gnome continues, "If you can get us a foot in the door, I think we can figure the rest out from there. And I, for one, wouldn't want to keep you from your... studies? Experiments?" She suddenly dissolves into childish giggles. "Whatever word you like for that amazing display earlier!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Diplomacy check for requesting aid? (1d20+12)[32]

13. - Top - End - #133

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"
    Since these things are undead in nature we were hoping she might have some insight into the differences of they're abilities from the usual undead fare. He pauses to think a moment, before looking up at his mentor. But also, one of her former students is caught up in this mess as well. His family has all died after being attacked by these creatures, transformed into the same, and then destroyed again by our hands. Not only that, but somehow he has been transformed by the same worms yet isn't under their influence. At least that's the way it seems.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick frowns thoughtfully, and casts Olofire a warning glance as the Halfling expounds upon Filge's situation. His eyebrows furrow- he's clearly unsure whether or not this man should know some of the more complicated details.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia straightens up from where she has been intently studying the alchemical apparatus - to no productive end - and returns her attention to the present conversation. "There may be another way that you and the university can help, Doctor Ashglade. Olofire here was able to devise a special coating that, when applied to a weapon, rendered it especially effective at disrupting the necrotic energies animating undead. Doctor, I believe you called it kyussbane oil? So far we've only been able to small quantities of it... But with the university's resources, maybe it could be mass-produced! Just imagine the Valorous Host armed with these weapons... the forces of undeath would stand no chance!" A faraway look comes into her eyes as she allows herself to daydream about such a future.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

16. - Top - End - #136

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "...Kyuss spawn...

...an amulet that enacts a fear-countering effect..."
    "...Kyuss, or spawn...rare breed of shuffling, undead abomination with which we're becoming so familiar."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Diplomacy check for requesting aid? [roll0]
    Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    ...one of her former students is caught up in this mess as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    The professor listens closely, smiling at Jan warmly but not appearing to be familiar with anything they describe. "Well, my expertise is not in undead, or even really fighting them. I've never heard of 'Kyuss' or his - it's? - spawn, or 'Kyuss-bane' or any of that. Undesirable transformations are a bit more familiar, but not like you describe, Dr. Lightfoot. Most of the time I end up working with were-creatures, or those infected with lycanthropy of some variety. Fear of such creatures is usually pretty normal, so I've never heard of an amulet like that either..." he says without a hint of embarrassment. "I will ask around and try to make introductions. Where can I contact you if she's willing to meet? Do you have anything to offer her?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan strokes her chin between one tiny thumb and forefinger thoughtfully. "Well, we're staying at a place called "The Crooked House"... but as nice as they've been to us, maybe we shouldn't rock the boat with talk of necromancers or necromancy in general." She gives a nervous giggle before turning to look up at Frederick and Lydia. "Perhaps she could send word to the Heironean temple? I figure we'll be checking in with them on the regular, one way or another.

Meanwhile...
    " The thoughtful look returns, mixed with concern. "I don't know what we have to offer the Lady Tolbert. Aside from, y'know, she's part of 'the world', and we're trying to stop 'the end of the world', and all that sort of thing."

18. - Top - End - #138

« Other than our information, which may or may not be of value to her, I don’t think we have much that would be of interest to a lady of such stature », is Marzena’s answer.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"The Church of Heironeous would consider it a great favor if her knowledge were to help us more effectively combat the undead," Lydia replies. "And the Church believes in reciprocating aid for aid - it would be a powerful thing to have them as an ally. I can see to it, if this Lady Tolbert is all she's made out to be."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

DwarfBarbarianGuy

True. It is hard to think of things she might be interested in not knowing who she is. But I would be willing to offer a sample of these worms if she was able to give any more insight into their nature. Or unlife rather. Every little bit helps.

Dr. Olofire thinks to himself for a few moments before looking up at his mentor and then to Frederick and the others in turn, "Was there anymore you all needed to ask of Dr. Ashglade? If not, would you mind stepping outside for a few minutes? I have some questions for him regarding my research and would rather not bore you all with those details. I can catch up with you at he Crooked Inn if you want to head back or go anywhere else?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick shrugs noncommittally to the academic's question. When Lydia voices her take, he nods thoughtfully. "That's certainly fair. Our words might go a long way to opening some doors for her."

22. - Top - End - #142

NecromancerGuy

"Oh, your Church is one of Lady Tolbert's partners, I guess you probably wouldn't know that..." begins Dr. Ashglade. "I don't believe she is one of your congregation or anything, but as one of the faiths with the most investment in ensuring necromancers behave themselves, well, the Church of the Shining One helped to broker the arrangements necessary for Lady Tolbert to teach in the city at all. 'Ally' might be a strong word, but something like 'necessary business-partner' probably describes their relationship well. I understand that she can even turn undead, much as some of the more senior clergy can..."

At Olofire's mention of the Kyuss worms Dr. Ashglade excitedly claps his hands. "Ah yes! That might get her interest - especially if they are related to dangerous undead. She absolutely won't stand for that sort of thing being about, and would be interested in studying them to help find ways to fight them. I can deliver what you can spare to her."

Professor Ashglade is good to his word. If you have any additional ideas of what you could offer (I'm surprised no one said "a service" or anything), then we can move on with the story. (Any "service" offered would be a side-quest or something. I am 100% onboard with that if you wish to further invest in effort to get academic assistance with the Age of Worms, but it isn't required at this time to progress the story. Up to you guys.)

We won't be meaningfully splitting the party just now, but Albinobrow wanted to have some in-character role-playing with the professor. We will do that in another thread. It is still morning, but we can fast-forward to the evening unless anyone has a complaint or anything else they want to do...

Upon returning to the Crooked House for the evening, the party finds the tavern floor very active. "Welcome, everyone! Would you like to drop off your gear in your rooms and join us for dinner? I've had some excellent venison delivered and carved into steaks, along with farm-fresh grilled vegetables and fresh bread. We expect a band to play tonight, too!" asks Tarquin, the gnomish innkeeper as the party enters. The smell of the food is quite savory - not as good as the fine restaurant of the previous evening, but nice enough for the comfort of the inn common room.

Who drops off armor/weapons in their room? Tarquin considers it rude to have fully armored/armed guests eating next to the common merchants, but could be convinced to serve you anyway with a DC 20 Diplomacy check (from the PC intending to stay armed - Jan cannot sweet-talk him for everyone).

Yes this matters, it is a bit of railroading, but most nights your actions wouldn't matter too much in this respect. This evening it will, though. Please make judgement calls on what your PC would do without the meta-game knowledge that an encounter is coming.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick's ever-somber mood remains on display in the overly-crowded common room. His eyes never stay in one spot for long, and he quickly becomes increasingly agitated. "Venison sounds fabulous, but if it's all the same, I'm more comfortable like this," he grumbles. He raises his hands, empty for the moment. "I'm a paladin, for crying out loud. You can trust me to play nice. Besides, it might actually make some folks more comfortable to have someone like me hanging about!" Tarquin's response, though initially cool, rapidly warms to the idea. It doesn't take a lot more convincing for Frederick to keep his gear about him as he settles into a seat where he can see the door and most of the room.

Spoiler: Diplomancy
    Show
    (1d20+7)[27] vs DC 20

24. - Top - End - #144

"Hmm, that is mouth-watering, my friend. The sound of your voice is music to my ears when you speak like this! Let me get upstairs and change outfits, and we shall enjoy a great evening of pleasant company and good fare!" Marzena comes back to the common room, dressed in a form-fitting gown of crimson velvet, her hair arranged in several braids tied together into a complex knot. Her blue, woolen cloak rests on her shoulders in the event of a chilly night, but she soon lets it hang from the back of her chair, as the atmosphere in the tavern is more than a little warm with the excitment of music, good food and rich wine.

Spoiler
    Show
    She leaves her dagger in her room, but the wide sleeves of her outfit have hidden inner pockets : she's not going to be without her Harrow deck and spell components. Her Cloak of Resistance stays on the chair, so technically she isn't wearing it, but she can easily retrieve it.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2021-06-14 at 10:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia raises an eyebrow at Frederick's insistence on remaining in his bulky armor. "You may do as you like, I suppose, but if you don't feel safe in the center of Greyhawk then I don't know where you would... Just watch where you're leaning with those spikes - no sudden moves!" She goes upstairs to drop off her own gear and returns wearing a simple tabard emblazoned with the fist-and-lightning-bolt symbl of Heironeous, unarmed and unarmored except for the dagger at her belt.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2021-06-14 at 10:00 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Frederick's ever-somber mood remains on display in the overly-crowded common room. His eyes never stay in one spot for long, and he quickly becomes increasingly agitated. "Venison sounds fabulous, but if it's all the same, I'm more comfortable like this," he grumbles. He raises his hands, empty for the moment. "I'm a paladin, for crying out loud. You can trust me to play nice. Besides, it might actually make some folks more comfortable to have someone like me hanging about!" Tarquin's response, though initially cool, rapidly warms to the idea. It doesn't take a lot more convincing for Frederick to keep his gear about him as he settles into a seat where he can see the door and most of the room.
    Jan stifles her giggles as her half-orc friend negotiates with the gnomish innkeeper. As the others prepare to leave their gear, the gnomish sorceress grins up at Frederick. "Good news for us magicky types," she says, clambering up onto a seat adjacent to the paladin, "we aren't held down by any of that bulky armor! Ain't got the constitution for it, like you muscular folk, which is why we keep you around, and out of trouble." She grins mischievously at her longtime friend before her bubbly laughter begins to escape from her broad smile.

"Oooh, Marzena!" calls Jan, as the former reenters the room. "What a lovely gown! Poor Freddie, with his plate and spikes, nobody's even gonna notice him!" Chuckling to herself, the gnome lowers herself to the ground, scampering over to the battle-mage. "Do you mind...?" she says, but doesn't wait for an answer as she runs the fingers of one hand over the soft fabric. "How exquisite! Must be a relief to be able to pull out a number like this every now and then, now that you're not stuck out at that swampy keep!" She grins upward before turning back to rejoin Frederick at the table.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick shrugs wordlessly at Lydia's commentary. He's made his dislike of Greyhawk known enough times by now that he doesn't feel like his decision needs defending. He nods respectfully when she leaves the room though.

Jan's comment earns a snort of "cheater." from the hulking paladin. "Never could understand a lick of what you do. Just doesn't seem like we're playing by the same rules, eh?" He raises a bushy eyebrow in mock irritation, which almost immediately explodes into maybe-just-a-little-true indignation. As Jan scampers away from the momentarily dumbfounded Half-Orc, he sputters. "You keep Me out of trouble!?"

He looks up from his outburst to see the newest target of Jan's flightiness, and finds himself blinking back surprise at Marzena's reappearance. His approach is demonstrably more refined, and he inclines his head politely as he approaches his friend. "You look lovely, Marzena. I sincerely hope you enjoy yourself tonight."

Still unable to get out of his own way, Frederick resigns himself to an unenjoyable evening of pervasive suspicions and imagined malices.

28. - Top - End - #148

DwarfBarbarianGuy

After a thought provoking one-on-one with Dr. Ashglade, Olofire welcomes the thought of a relaxing evening of venison steak and live music. Of course! I'll be right back down. He goes upstairs and drops off his armor and pack in his room.

He comes downstairs shoeless, wearing what looks to be some blue dress pants, a white long sleeve shirt with the ruffled cuffs sticking out under a blue dress coat, a light brown vest, and a white cravat. A familiar flask of blue and green swirled colors tucked under his coat on his belt opposite of his money pouch. He sees the group and approaches, Sorry that took so long, it's been a long while since I've worn these. I think I got most of the wrinkles out! He laughs at himself. Looking around and seeing the room start to liven up around him he can't help but smile at each of their party. It's weird seeing most of them outside of their armor and wearing "normal" clothes.

First round is on me! And he heads off to the barkeep to order drinks. Can I get 2 ales and 3 other drinks please. The other drinks something tasty? Possibly fruity? Do you have a house special drink like that?

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

He looks just like his character portrait haha! Also, if there is a house special that is fruity and tasty, Olofire will get one for himself instead of an ale. Otherwsie tasty drinks for the ladies and ales for the men.

29. - Top - End - #149

NecromancerGuy

The night goes pleasantly enough, with good quality food and drink for all. The party enjoys the opportunity to "let their hair down" and relax, speaking with the merchants and travelers enjoying the unique accommodations of the Crooked House tavern and the exotic tastes and eccentricities of its gnomish curator. Tarquin seems to be enjoying himself, which surprises no one considering the business he's doing this evening, and takes a personal hand in serving the tables at first before mixing drinks behind the bar as the evening gets late.

The revelry goes later than most, and it's well after midnight when Lydia excuses herself to bed - the first of the party to do so. She makes her way upstairs, enjoying the buzz of the ale and other drinks and disappears from sight up the uneven stairs.

Spoiler: @MuffinMan
    Show
    Lydia is not yet asleep when the action below takes place. A DC 10 Listen check is all that's needed to notice the commotion about to take place. Lydia will be able to join in normally when the encounter begins properly.

About a minute later (someone-who-looks-identical-to-)Lydia walks down the stairs, casually saunters up to the bar, and with a swift jab stabs Tarquin in the chest with a dagger! With a shocked expression on his face the little gnome falls back, unable to catch his breath, and collapses out of view of the tavern patrons, many of whom see the brazen attack and cry out in alarm and outrage! "She just killed the barkeep!" "Hey there, stop her! The Heironean just stabbed Tarquin!" "Oh no! Save him!" "One of the travelers just attacked that gnome! Get her!"

From their seat at a nearby table, the four PCs still downstairs find themselves suddenly in the middle of a chaotic rush of bodies, some towards not-Lydia and the fallen Tarquin, others towards the door. The attacker dashes back up the stairs and out of sight.

The PCs have about two rounds worth of actions they can take - long enough to get to the fallen Tarquin if they can convince the crowd to make room or yell some hurried directions to the tavern patrons. As the crowd generally knows that Lydia is part of the party, however, any effort to get to the bar will face some resistance...

Please write your post in two parts - what you try to do in this ten seconds or so and how you react to what follows. Roll any skill checks attempted and describe the level-of-violence your PC is willing to commit to get to the gnome if the other patrons try to block your way.

Within a couple of breaths a male human merchant rushes down from upstairs, yelling, "What happened? Some woman just came by with a bloodied dagger, ran into her room, and slammed the door! It was one of those adventurers from out of town! What happened? Did she attack someone?" Near the halfway point on the stairs he sees the PCs and points at them. "Them! She was with them! Get 'em!"

You aren't in combat - yet - but the crowd is definitely unfriendly. Tarquin may not be dead - yet - but he won't have long. If you try to argue either your or Lydia's innocence, I need skill checks accordingly. Note the time it takes for social-skills (about 1 minute per check), and consider this when it comes to trying to reach Tarquin.

The real Lydia is likely to be coming down the stairs momentarily, possibly to a very hostile scene that she could inadvertently make much worse.

Should Tarquin die, this would certainly result in at least a night in jail, possibly worse.

30. - Top - End - #150

Compliments on her fashion sense aren't something Marzena got often as a battlemage in a remote outpost, and she blushes in pleased surprise when her companions shower her with praise. "Not an everyday chance, to dress in something other than travel gear, right?" During the evening, she thoroughly enjoys her time, and isn't the last to partake in the food as well as a variety of drinks, to the point of getting rather tipsy. The only cloud on her mind comes from her less than successful attempts to cheer Frederick up. It appears the paladin has decided to dislike everything and everyone. Such a shame. Unable to decide if she finds the man attractive or infuriating, she stores away any such thoughts for a later time, and goes to get another drink instead. She bids Lydia good night when the priestess decides her bedtime has come...

... That's when all hell suddenly breaks loose. The shock instantly clears her mind of any alcoholic vapors - or at least, that's what she tells herself - and she stands up, toppling her chair. "Something has happened to Lydia... And poor Tarquin... Can you do something? Any ideas? I can help a little..."

She looks intently at the first of her companions that seems about to take action, wishing them the best in the attempt. Then, giggling softly in a somewhat inane, inebriated hilarity, she seems to become lighter on her feet...

Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1, Fortune hex on whoever takes action first.
    Round 2, Flight hex a standard action, but she doesn't move yet. Instead, Cackle as a move action extending the Fortune hex.

After that, she'll attempt to fly over the crowd and go upstairs to find Lydia. She'll Cackle on the way, until she's out of earshot of the others.