New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Age of Worms - The Hall of Harsh Reflections

No no no! Out of my way! I'm a doctor! After hearing the commotion, Dr. Olofire is quickly on his feet and making his way towards Tarquin to try and tend to his wound.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Olofire will try to convince the patrons to let him pass.. Diplomacy (1d20-1)[7] Fortune Hex (1d20-1)[19]
    Assuming he is able to get there Knowledge Nature for Heal check to provide first aid as I have no cure infusions on my person currently. (1d20+16)[20]

Spoiler: Character Stats
    Show

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 5/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 7, Init 5, HP 47/47, Speed 60 ft
    AC 16, Touch 16, Flat-footed 11, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 13, Will 4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +11 (not mutated, +13 mutated) (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +10 (not mutated, +12 mutated) (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +14 (1d4+8, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 9
    Condition None
    -Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 1/1
    -Panache 3/3
    -Spontaneous Healing 2/2 left today

Last edited by Albinobrow; 2021-06-16 at 11:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spoiler: Perception check
    Show
    [roll0] auto-pass vs DC 10

Lydia stirs and groans in annoyance at the muffled noises of the first round of cries. Can't they keep it down...?! By Heironeous, it's nearly morning already... She tries to burrow more deeply under the covers.

The sound of running footsteps, a slammed door, and a cry from the hallway are enough to awaken her fully, however. She groggily sits up and casts an eye about the room, scanning for her gear. She considers her longspear (Too bulky!) and her breastplate (No time for that!) before settling for her sword belt. She begins buckling it on over her night dress as she strides out towards the sound of commotion. "Just what is going on out here?!" she begins demanding, angrily.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2021-06-17 at 04:12 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

3. - Top - End - #153

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Forgot to mention in my post, but if I need to tumble through the crowd to get to Tarquin, then he will definitely attempt it.

Acrobatics 1 (1d20+14)[27]

I don't know if I need to roll multiple times to get past multiple foes.. But if so here are some more.
    Acrobatics 2 (1d20+14)[27]
    Acrobatics 3 (1d20+14)[24]
    Acrobatics 4 (1d20+14)[17]
    Acrobatics 5 (1d20+14)[17]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan turns just in time to see... Lydia?!? darting away from the collapsing Tarquin. Shaking away the momentary shock of what her eyes seem to be telling her, the gnome scans the burgeoning chaos in the room before scrambling up onto the table, shoving forgotten vessels of food and drink aside. "LISTEN, people! I don't know what happened, but LET US THROUGH! We can heal Tarquin, and get to the bottom of this, but you have to LET US THROUGH!" The gnome's raised, shrill voice somehow seems to cut through the rapidly escalating din.

Show
    Diplomacy Check to "Make Request"? "One or more rounds" is the timing there.
    (1d20+12)[27]

The gnome sorceress watches, hopeful that the crowd will let Olofire through to assist the barkeep, but she turns her attention to Marzena, whose weight seems suddenly un-tethered by gravity. Fixing a pleading expression on the witch, Jan nods, gesturing furtively before pointing at the members of the party. Her following whisper somehow is clearly heard by them all: "Keep us posted, Marzena!"

Show
    Casting Message on the party, and wishing Marzena godspeed!
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

"Impostor!" Frederick bellows, suddenly incensed by the obvious (to the party) display of dishonesty and defamation. "Get outta my way!" With a roar, the armored and furious paladin charges towards the stairs, roughly (but not aggressively) shoving aside anyone in his path. Hell bent on bringing the fake Lydia to justice, he mounts the stairs with blade in hand.

Spoiler: Frederick, round 1
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    M LG Half-Orc Paladin 6 (VMC Barbarian), Level 7, Init 1, HP 60/60, Speed 20
    AC 22, Touch 11, Flat-footed 24, CMD 21, Fort 9, Ref 5, Will 7*, CMB +10/+5, Base Attack Bonus 6/1, Power Points -/0
    Magic Falchion +1 +12/+7 (2d4+7, 18-20/x2)
    Warhammer +11/+6 (1d8+4, x3)
    MW Composite Longbow (+3 str) (40 standard arrows) +8 (1d8+3, x3)
    Full Plate +1, Heavy Steel Shield (+10 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Condition Irrepressible: Cha isntead of Wis for charm/compulsion will saves
    Power Attack
    Uncanny Dodge
    Lay on Hands: 6/6 (2d6, removes fatigue, disease)
    Smite Evil: 3/3
    Divine Bond: 1/1
    Rage: 8/8
    Grace: 1/1
    Hero's Defiance: 1/1

I'm assuming that the distance isn't going to preclude any of this:
    Overrun to the stairs, if necessary: (1d20+10)[23] Taking whatever AoOs (probably won't) happen.

If it's not an overrun, I'll draw the sword as part of the first move action. If it is, I'll use a move action to draw it after. Hopefully to (and maybe up) the stairs.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Marzena - Fortune Hex, Fly Hex, Cackle Hex
    Olofire - Diplomacy (19), Heal (20), and Acrobatics (20+ average) checks
    Lydia - upstairs, heading towards the mess
    Jan - Diplomacy (27) and casting Message
    Frederick - Overrunning (23) towards the stairs

The Merchant attempts Diplomacy with the crowd too, but doesn't do as well as Jan. However, Frederick's rough effort to get to the stairs wiped out any real progress she would have made. As a result the crowd is mechanically unfriendly right now.

Spoiler: Current Map
    Show

As you all can see, it's a crowded tavern downstairs, lots of NPCs. Your PCs all have their usual portraits (Lydia is on the second floor, I haven't shown the third floor, since it (probably) won't matter). Tarquin is dying, highlighted red, and his portrait sideways to indicate. The accusatory merchant is highlighted blue, since he seems to be actively working against you all.

Chaos erupts in the room as the PCs begin to scatter, each trying to do what they do well in spite of the city-folk swarming around them. Marzena's obvious magic has the effect of putting some space around the party, as some of the commoners react in amazement and fear. At first this helps Olofire as he begins moving towards the fallen gnome-barkeep, though it's not until Jan makes her passionate plea that his path is really clear. He arrives at the bar and immediately recognizes that Tarquin is unconscious and bleeding out, but he can't reach him to begin triage yet.

From upstairs the real-Lydia hears the noise and Frederick's cry. She begins making her way towards the stairs to meet her fellow Heironean as he barrels through the crowd. Much of the goodwill that Jan's inspired entreaty may have fostered in the crowd is lost as the paladin pushes through, with cries of pain and anger from the tavern patrons around the spiked-armored half-orc.

"Wait right there! Are you calling me an imposter? How dare you! You're with her...wait, you're going to help her. No way, you stop there until we figure this out!" responds the merchant on the stairs, squaring up to Frederick a bit, though still looking to the rest of the crowd to see if anyone will help. "We should let the Watch sort this out! Someone go get them! If we don't let anyone come down, then we'll know who did it - there's no where else to go upstairs!"

At the merchant's direction, at least a couple of people slip out the front door, presumably to find the City Watch. They'll be back soon...

What do you do now? Let's work in rounds-ish - give me mechanics when they make sense, but if Jan wants to continue to try and move the crowd in favor of the PCs, she's got this merchant to deal with too. He's definitely unfriendly, if not hostile, to the PCs and is trying to incense the crowd against them further.

Just to be clear, this could turn into full blown (nonlethal?) combat if things go too poorly. Your actions and what you say could make a big difference in the next several rounds.

7. - Top - End - #157

Hearing the merchant's accusatory tone, Marzena's giggles die on her lips, and she replies in a cutting voice. "I'm going to look for this attacker, whoever that may be! You all, may I suggest that you save the victim first, and bicker about it later?" Realizing she doesn't stand much of a chance to calm the crowd, she takes flight, and rushes, as close to the ceiling as she can, over the crowd's heads, the merchant, and disappears upstairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move at 60' speed, she should end up around L20 with movement to spare.

On the second floor, she sees Lydia, just out of her room. "Lydia! Did you see anyone? A criminal looking right like you, probably a magical disguise! They attacked Tarquin downstairs, in full sight of everyone, then ran this way!"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Wait right there! Are you calling me an imposter? How dare you! You're with her...wait, you're going to help her. No way, you stop there until we figure this out!" responds the merchant on the stairs, squaring up to Frederick a bit, though still looking to the rest of the crowd to see if anyone will help. "We should let the Watch sort this out! Someone go get them! If we don't let anyone come down, then we'll know who did it - there's no where else to go upstairs!"
    Jan glares daggers at the apparent merchant. "Fool! The attacker has magic to disguise herself, trying to ruin our companion's good name, and you think that a simple lack of stairs will foil her exit? Ignore this simpleton!!" she turns, casting her voice once again over the fracas. "Let my friends through to save Tarquin, and to seize his attacker, and I'll give the Watch the full story myself!!"

Show
    Diplomacy to sway the crowd: (1d20+12)[14]
    If applicable, Intimidate to cow the merchant: (1d20+11)[25] but if I have to pick, Diplomacy is the priority.

9. - Top - End - #159

DwarfBarbarianGuy

MOVE MOVE! Let me through! The little doctor single mindedly leaps over the bar and makes his way to Tarquin and checks on him.

Show

Same as before. Acrobatics to get to Tarquin (I believe I can get to him this round) and Knowledge Nature in place of heal to render aid.

Acrobatics (1d20+14)[31]
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+16)[18]

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

"Not you, fool! The one that looks like Lyida!" Frederick hardly slows down as he marches towards the merchant and the stairs. "Show me which door, or stand aside, but you won't stop me!"

((assuming success getting past him in a single action))
    Frederick mounts the stairs and finds Lydia in the hallway. He points accusingly with his blade. "You! Stop! Prove yourself or submit!"

Spoiler: Frederick, round 2
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    AC 22, Touch 11, Flat-footed 24, CMD 21, Fort 9, Ref 5, Will 7*, CMB +10/+5, Base Attack Bonus 6/1, Power Points -/0
    Full Plate +1, Heavy Steel Shield (+10 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Power Attack
    Uncanny Dodge

Once more, if forced to overrun, do so to the merchant to climb the stairs. (1d20+10)[16] vs CMD (if he tries to stop me).

Ummmm.... How do we know who's the real Lydia? I think I'm about to get to the second floor and be face to face with her. ... Is it in fact her?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia pull up short at the sight of Frederick pointing his blade at her, and instinctively her own sword is in her hand before she fully realizes it. "Prove myself?! Are you mad, Sir Frederick, or just drunk!? What in the Shining One's name is going on??" She takes a defensive stance, still blinking her eyes groggily.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    5ft step closer, draw weapon, Total Defense action
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2021-06-27 at 06:06 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Marzena flies up to Lydia.
    Jan works to sway the crowd and intimidate the merchant.
    Olofire stabilizes Tarquin.
    Frederick moves past the merchant to confront (the real) Lydia.
    Lydia prepares to defend herself from Frederick (?!?).

The Merchant aces his Diplomacy check, successfully countering Jan's roll (including the reroll). The crowd remains unfriendly, but it's not getting to the point of hostile.

Show
    We will have to go to theater of the mind a bit, as it is MUCH harder for me to update the map while at sea. I will work on it, but don't want to delay the action in the meantime, as long as specific tactics and positions don't matter.

In the noise and confusion, several voices rise above the others, all arguing for different responses. Jan's entreaties seem to be about to sway the crowd when the merchant steps out of Frederick's way, crying out, "Hey! He's going to help the attacker! They're in it together!" At his words several of the nearby patrons nod and move to crowd up the stairs too, and the entire tavern continues to be a decidedly unfriendly place for our heroes.

Fortunately for Tarquin, the chaos is mostly in front of the bar, and Olofire is able to hop over and quickly stabilize the bleeding gnome. With several towels pressed on the sucking chest wound, the little halfling sees a barmaid, clearly worried about her employer, and is able to direct her to apply pressure to the spot. She steps forward and nervously does so, following Olofire's directions as the two likely save the man's life. Without magic, however, Tarquin doesn't wake up, leaving the situations tense and dangerous.

Upstairs, Marzena and Frederick find (the real) Lydia, confronting her in very different ways. A couple of the tavern patrons come up behind the half-orc, seeing the different reactions, and start whispering and arguing amongst themselves. "They don't look like they're working together to hurt Tarquin..." "She drew her sword too! Why would she do that if she's innocent?" "I don't know - this could all be a trick! You saw that witch fly up here, maybe she's in on it!" "I saw the whole thing - the attacker was her!"

Good news is that Tarquin is stabilized. Bad news is that things aren't looking any less confusing for the crowd and heroes. The merchant is not helping, of course, but he's not drawn weapons or tried to attack anyone. What do you want to do?

(And by the way, the reroll and high-roll on Diplomacy was not wasted - it countered a natural 20 on the part of the Merchant's Diplomacy check to sway the crowd. It might not feel like a significant win, but it kept the crowd from turning violently against the heroes!)

You've got maybe two or three more posts before the City Watch arrives. If they show up and things look like this when they arrive, it's hard to tell how it will go down...

13. - Top - End - #163

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ok good. I know it will be hard, but he needs you to keep applying pressure to that wound. I need to head up to my room for an extract that will heal him more. Olofire instructs the barmaid as he stands once more and starts to rush upstairs past the crowd.

Jan! Olofire shouts across the room loud enough for everyone to hear. Tarquin is not dying anymore! I need my kit if I'm going to heal him properly! I'll be right back!

Where are those two Heironians..?

Show

I don't know if my announcing that he is stable will help Jan's diplomacy checks at all. Or if it's something I need to roll I will do so in OOC.

I'm not sure how fast I can get up to my room grab my kit and back, but I intend to acrobatics my way around the crown to get up and down ASAP. I have one cure light wounds prepared I can administer.
    Acrobatics (1d20+14)[30]
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2021-06-30 at 04:32 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan breathes a sigh of relief as Olofire's hurried whisper reaches her ears, despite the tumult in the barroom. Taking a deep breath, she resumes her attempts to placate the crowd. "Look! My friend, the halfling physician, has helped the barmaid to stabilize Tarquin, and even now he is rushing to retrieve his healer's kit to ensure Tarquin's survival! PLEASE, believe me! We wish him, and you, no ill! Simply give us a few moments to prove it, and we will!!"

Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+12)[24]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick doesn't lower his weapon, but neither does he move to attack. "We just watched... someone who looks very much like you stab the bartender," he explains, gruffly. "I need to know, beyond a doubt, that you are not the perpetrator!"

Spoiler: Frederick, round 3
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    Power Attack
    Uncanny Dodge

So.... Detect evil is a useful baseline, that Frederick would employ.... But it has limitations. Obviously, the lack of Evil aura isn't really proof of innocence. I'm still not super clear, from DarkOne, what our characters should perceive. It stands to reason that Lydia is (obviously) the first person we would want to clear? But I'm not really sure how.

16. - Top - End - #166

"Come on, Sir Frederick", Marzena says, trying to keep her voice level. "You're not making any sense. We saw the attacker, she had a dagger, and wore a Hieronean tabard. Now, in front of you, in a night gown and the mark of the pillow's crease still on her face, this is clearly another person. There no way the attacker had time to change her appearance in the few seconds it took us to run up the stairs... At least, not without illusion magic. A type of magic that, as you know, Hieroneous does not grant his faithful."

She looks at Lydia, intently. "Put your weapon away, Reverend Constance. It isn't necessary."

Turning back, she sees the other patrons arguing among themselves, and locks eyes with the one who seemed suspicious of her. "Yes, you're right, Sir. There is definitely a trick in play here. The merchant said he saw the Reverend go into her room with a bloodied dagger. Yet, seconds later, she's in front of us, evidently just out of bed. No dagger anywhere. Maybe we could search the room. But even then... There was not enough time for this sequence of events to happen. We must assume there was some sort of illusory vision in play. Either that... Or this merchant is lying. He seems to be very keen to accuse our group, isn't he?"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Something clicks for Lydia during Marzena's explanation, and she relaxes her stance. "Oh, there's an impostor of me! Why didn't you just say so? Weapons may still be necessary if they haven't gotten far - I heard a door slam up here just a moment ago! Well, don't just stand there - help me look for the attacker!" She stalks towards her best guess at the slammed door from earlier and throws it open, peering inside.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2021-06-30 at 10:07 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Jan uses Diplomacy to try and sway the crowd, but Olofire's effort to help backfires and costs her some of her effectiveness.
    Olofire moves towards his room to retrieve a healing extract, seeing the exchange upstairs and leaving Jan alone downstairs with the crowd.
    Frederick and Lydia are locked in a confrontation of sorts, with Marzena attempting to mediate. No skill checks or mechanics applied, so not much for me to mediate here.
    Lydia moves to start opening doors and finds the first one locked.

The merchant continues to roll well and counters Jan's effort to calm the crowd. Neither of the two are doing so much better than the other that it is changing things, so the status quo remains unchanged - unfriendly.

Show
    We will continue with theater of the mind for now.

The back and forth between merchant and Jan continues, neither clearly swaying the crowd as their arguments fail to really go anywhere. "All I'm saying is that we let the law handle this - if they have saved Tarquin's life, wonderful, but I don't trust them. Let the Watch sort this out - we're a civilized, free city, and our laws need to be upheld!" argues the merchant, eliciting nods from many of the patrons and shrugs from others.

As he rushes up the stairs (leaving Jan alone in the crowded tavern room), Olofire sees the confrontation in the hallway. Careful not to bump into any of the NPC patrons, the little halfling begins making his way to his room when one of the patrons pipes up - "Hey there! What are you doing? You can't go to your room right now - we need to wait for the Watch to get here and sort this all out! You could be part of the trouble!"

The twenty-something blonde woman who was suspicious of Marzena doesn't seem particularly cowed by her response, instead saying, "I'm not an expert, but Greyhawk has wizards who can tell us what is going on - just cause you can use magic doesn't mean you can just ignore the law!"

Lydia moves to a nearby doorway, finding it locked. There is no immediate response to her knock.

Things aren't getting less complicated - Jan is now largely alone in the tavern room, facing off the merchant and a crowd that is becoming set in their opinion (unfriendly) of the PCs. This is better than becoming hostile, but after a certain point people's minds won't be changed that quickly - Jan can try to sway them one more turn before it really won't be productive anymore (-5 modifier on further attempts). The other four PCs are upstairs, facing down each other and a smaller group of about a half-dozen folk from downstairs. Olofire has someone trying to bar his way to his room, Marzena is being confronted by a woman, and no one is answering the door Lydia tried to open.

Two more posts before the Watch shows up. How do you proceed from here?

19. - Top - End - #169

DwarfBarbarianGuy

As he rushes up the stairs (leaving Jan alone in the crowded tavern room), Olofire sees the confrontation in the hallway. Careful not to bump into any of the NPC patrons, the little halfling begins making his way to his room when one of the patrons pipes up - "Hey there! What are you doing? You can't go to your room right now - we need to wait for the Watch to get here and sort this all out! You could be part of the trouble!"
    Not stopping to look back at whoever commented, Olofire continues on his way. I am not part of the trouble. I am the solution to Tarquin's condition! I am a doctor and I am fetching my kit so that I may heal him properly. You are welcome to follow me, but I'll be right back down to see my patient!

As he continues to his room to grab his things, he addresses the paladin and the cleric between clenched teeth, again without looking directly at them. You two best sort this out, the situation is not good down there.

Show

Continue moving through the crowd. Hoping to be able to at least grab my stuff and start to make my way back downstairs. Still not armored, but have the pack of elixirs and my kit to make more if needed.

ACrobatics (1d20+14)[30]
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2021-07-01 at 08:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Frustrated, Lydia aims a halfhearted kick at the locked door as she turns away from it. "Indeed! I intend to sort it out by apprehending the culprit! If he can impersonate me there's no telling who he might become next time. Well, don't just stand there, give me a hand!" She goes to the next door down and tries the handle, trying hard to recollect the direction of the running footsteps she heard earlier...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Keep opening doors for now, skipping any that are locked. She'll double-move to get as many as possible (which might only be 1 or 2). She's looking for something obvious, like someone who looks like her or is wielding a bloody dagger.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan's eyes widen at the continued failure of the crowd to respond to her impassioned pleas. "SURELY you must all be joking! A seasoned heironean priestess would attack an unoffending barkeep, leaving her friends and allies to bear the blame? No use of magic on any of our parts to escape or conceal? You allow the impostor and her lackey here," she hooks an accustory thumb at the loud-mouthed merchant, "to make fools and pawns of you? Listen to reason!!" the gnome punctuates her exclamation with a fierce (but virtually inaudible) stomp of her tiny foot on the table on which she stands.

Show
    One more Diplomacy attempt: (1d20+12)[31]

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

At the second floor landing, Frederick continues to be almost painfully unsure of himself. He glances between Lydia, Marzena, and the merchant frenetically, desperate to make heads or tails of the situation and ultimately clearly unable. He takes an uncertain step backwards, giving Lydia room to pace the hallway of awkward angles, but remains in the stairwell, keeping the priestess at least in his peripheral vision.

"You make sense, Marzena, but I don't see what you see!" Frederick exclaims, giving voice to his unease. "I don't trust the merchant either, but how are you so certain we don't see an illusion now?"

Spoiler: Frederick, round 4
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    Power Attack
    Uncanny Dodge

23. - Top - End - #173

"Indeed, we can't be sure that we aren't seeing an illusion right now", Marzena replies to the paladin. "But the Lydia we're seeing here is at least plausible: She's evidently straight out of bed. This makes sense, since she said earlier that she was tired and went to lie down early. In contrast, the Lydia that we saw downstairs was fully clothed, but more importantly, she attacked poor Tarquin for no reason at all - that goes against everything we know about Lydia, right? So, it's much more credible to see that version of Lydia as the illusion. And we know they can't both be the real one: Things happened too fast for this to be physically possible.

That being said..."
    She turns to the young woman. "You're correct, there is no reason for us to ignore the law. And we've done no such thing. I'm from Greyhawk myself, I'm no stranger to the law, and we will submit to the Watch's investigation when they get here. Shouldn't be long. Meanwhile, if we have any chance to apprehend the actual criminal, we need to look for her - or him - in all haste, and not allow them the time to escape or to pull off another illusion. Sir Frederick, I suggest you test the other doors."

She addresses the blonde woman again. "And, since I can indeed use magic, I intend to do so in a way that helps the investigation, if I can. I request that you please watch me, and you will be able to testify that I didn't do anything fishy. I will only attempt to divine something to help us understand what happened here."

She steps back, and closes her eyes for a moment, frowning in concentration.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full-round action: Brilliant Spell Preparation to prepare a Detect Thoughts spell in her open slot.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2021-07-03 at 10:33 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Olofire tumbles past anyone blocking him, getting to his room and opening the door. Next round he can grab his equipment and begin making his way back downstairs.
    Lydia continues to try doors, finding the only unlocked rooms being hers and now Olofire's. It appears all the others are either unoccupied or their occupants aren't opening the doors...
    Jan is successful at her opposed-Diplomacy check. The crowd turns from unfriendly to indifferent towards the party.
    Frederick makes no mechanical actions.
    Marzena prepares Detect Thoughts.

The merchant failed his opposed-Diplomacy check, causing the crowd to be less confident of what he has been saying.

Given this, I am going to move to Olofire healing Tarquin and the arrival of the Watch.

Show
    We will continue with theater of the mind for now.

It seems that finally Jan's words reach many of the crowd, as her logical argument leaves the merchant sputtering in offended anger. "Lackey? Why...! All I'm saying is you should stay here and face the Watch! Ugh!" is all he seems to be able to say. When the townfolk upstairs hear Marzena confirm that she intends to work with the law and then sees Lydia, Olofire, and Frederick starting to help in the search, several of them shrug. It appears that they are content with that answer and willing to work with the PCs to try and find the culprit.

Several moments later, Olofire comes back downstairs, this time with several townsfolk in tow, and goes to Tarquin. Gently pouring drops of his healing extract into the gnome's mouth, the halfling doctor brings the man back to consciousness. With a start Tarquin sits up, winces, and cries out. "What? Ow! What just happened? That cleric, she stabbed me! Oh...that hurts...how am I still alive?"

As the little gnome wakes up, several well-armed and armored Greyhawk Watch members arrive, led by a bald, broad-shouldered, short captain with a furious expression. "What is all this? SIT DOWN, ALL OF YOU! Now, no one is to leave until we have this ironed out. Where is the innkeeper - the gnome who was stabbed? Let's see the body, quick now!"

The trouble-causing merchant looks like he's about to step forward, but instead finds a seat near the stairs and waits for the guards to get to him, a scowl of anger and embarrassment on his face.

What does Olofire say to Tarquin? As the victim, Tarquin's testimony will be pretty important...

How does the party cooperate? When the Watch arrives Lydia, Marzena, and Frederick are still upstairs, but you can easily hear the Watch Captain's orders. There are enough soldiers/police to make any fight messy, and they are well equipped. More Diplomacy is likely in order. For now it looks like the merchant is following the directions of the Captain.

Please start with posting general actions and what you say. I don't need specific dialogue, though any mechanical dice rolls or spells cast need to be noted.

25. - Top - End - #175

Marzena hears the Watch's arrival from upstairs - Greyhawk's officers aren't known for their discreet entries. "All right, hopefully I'll be able to help." She keeps an eye on the young woman, adding a reassuring gesture while she intones:

"Dans cette foule assemblée ici
    Toutes les intentions sont-elles pures?
    Il faut soit percer les mystères des esprits
    Soit se contenter de conjectures."

Once her spell is cast, she looks all around in the corridor, but her eyes appear glazed over as if her sight gave away to a more arcane sense.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Detect Thoughts, then scanning the doors to check for the presence of minds. If the doors are made of wood and not implausibly thick, she will be able to detect how many living, sentient beings are in each room.

26. - Top - End - #176

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Several moments later, Olofire comes back downstairs, this time with several townsfolk in tow, and goes to Tarquin. Gently pouring drops of his healing extract into the gnome's mouth, the halfling doctor brings the man back to consciousness. With a start Tarquin sits up, winces, and cries out. "What? Ow! What just happened? That cleric, she stabbed me! Oh...that hurts...how am I still alive?"
    Olofire kneels next to Tarquin, and drinks on of the few prepared extracts he has before speaking, You're ok know. I was able to render first aid with the help of your barmaid here to stop the initial blood loss. Then retrieved a medicinal extract from upstairs to further heal your injury. Please try not to get to worked up or overexert yourself. He pauses for a moment to make sure that Tarquin so far understands what he has said before continuing, Now that I've helped you, I need your help. I believe there is more going on than initially meets the eye. You know, that cleric and I have travelled together and I have never once seen her use a dagger. And frankly, if she truly wanted to kill you, I doubt I'd have been able to save you from that. Olofire doesn't break his gaze, Do you remember anything else? I'm most curious about the dagger. Were there any defining features you can recall. If we can find that dagger I'm sure we will find the truth of what happened here tonight.

Show

First things first I drink a comprehend languages extract. The only thing left prepared is Polypurpose Panacea, and 3 Alchemical allocations. I have 2 1st levels that are still blank. Still no armor on and I would have left my scalpels and sling upstairs as they aren't needed. But I do still have my mutagen on my belt.

I'm not sure but I'm assuming a diplomacy roll is needed. I'm hoping not though (1d20-1)[3]

Also I'd like to try and listen to the others around me and see if I pick up on them saying anything that might help prove Lydia's innocence now that I can understand all spoken languages for 50 minutes.
    Perception (1d20+12)[14] (I do get an additional +1 vs traps, which to me it clearly seems like this is a trap. lol)

Spoiler: Character Stats
    Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 5/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 7, Init 5, HP 47/47, Speed 60 ft
    AC 16, Touch 16, Flat-footed 11, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 13, Will 4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +11 (not mutated, +13 mutated) (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +10 (not mutated, +12 mutated) (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +14 (1d4+8, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 9
    Condition None
    -Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 1/1
    -Panache 3/3
    -Spontaneous Healing 2/2 left today

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick, jarred from his inaction by Marzena's suggestion, begins to test the doors. When the watch arrives, noisily, he sheathes his blade and plods downstairs. He scowls bitterly at the merchant, but doesn't say anything, instead making his way to the bar to await his turn to speak.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia groans at the sound of the Watch pouring into the common area of the inn. "Bahh, they'll be looking for me - someone who looks like me, anyway. I'd better go downstairs before this gets any worse. You two," she barks at Marzena and Frederick, "keep up the search! The assailant can't have gone far - don't let him get away!" Then, sheathing her blade, she strides downstairs into the common room, holding her hands forward to show that she means to do no violence.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"What is all this? SIT DOWN, ALL OF YOU! Now, no one is to leave until we have this ironed out. Where is the innkeeper - the gnome who was stabbed? Let's see the body, quick now!"
    Jan observes the entrance of the guard and, after sparing a quick glance to note Olofire's continued ministrations to Tarquin, greets the watch with a sigh of relief.

"Thank all the good gods that you're here! I'm sure that we can figure this mess out together!" she begins, addressing the captain directly. "My name is Janstina Silentall, but you're welcome to call me 'Jan', like the rest of my friends." She smiles congenially at the scowling guardsman. "There's quite a pickle, though- out of nowhere, a person wearing the likeness of Lydia, my friend, not to mention a Heironean priestess in good standing, ran up to Tarquin and stabbed him! For no reason! But as you can see, the real Lydia was in bed, woken up by the ruckus in the first place!" The tiny sorceress hooks one tiny thumb toward Lydia, who makes her way down the stairs.

"Fortunately, another of my companions is quite the physician, and managed to stabilize and revive Tarquin before nature could take its course. So, all we've left to do is find the impostor, and maybe figure out why the loudmouth sulking on the stairs- no, not the paladin, he's with us too, heh, was so anxious to keep my friends from investigating the 'fake' Lydia in the first place!" she spares a haughty, offended glance for the sitting merchant.

Show
    A couple of Diplomacy checks, maybe first to improve attitude and then another to request aid?
    Spoiler: Botched Rolls
    Show
    [roll]1d20+12]/roll]
    [roll]1d20+12]/roll]

24 and 29, rolled OOC
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2021-07-07 at 11:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Marzena finds several individuals in their rooms, all of whom are already awake (presumably from the noise downstairs). When the Watch arrives they dutifully come out - none are disguised as Lydia, nor do any look like they were part of the scene.

Olofire finds a bloodied dagger under the bar, presumably where it fell from the hands of the attacker. Tarquin doesn't really have anything to add, though he will vouch for the PCs as good guests.

Lydia cooperates with the investigation.

Jan's efforts pay off - the Watch won't plan to arrest anyone they don't have to arrest and they generally believe her story.

Show
    To save time I intend to move forward with some of the narrative, taking your posts and intentions and moving things along. If anyone is upset with that, please let me know.

Tarquin sits up and eventually stands, a bit unsteadily, but on his own. "I'm over here, Captain, and not dead - thank the good gods and this halfling gentleman," he announces, eliciting a hushed cheer from many of the townsfolk in the tavern. "And I'll vouch for the young lady accused - I've spoken with the priestess, and I don't think she did it. Someone who looked like her stabbed me, but I doubt it was really her..."

As Lydia comes down the stairs, her posture cooperative and peaceful, several of the tavern patrons gasp. "She was dressed in her robes just a moment ago!" "How did she change so fast?" "She looks like she just got out of bed..." "Is that her? What is going on here?"

For his part, the Watch Captain stands still, listening and observing things as they happen, as if taking in everything and filing it away for his report later. The merchant who accused the party seems unusually quiet, and the guards begin taking statements from everyone, including the party. They inspect the dagger found under the bar, and when Lydia protests that it isn't hers she is escorted upstairs by one of the guards to collect her equipment. When they find every weapon with a sheath and all the sheaths filled they report accordingly. After everyone is done - a process that takes nearly an hour in total - the Captain looks to Tarquin. "Do you wish to press charges? This is a mess - I could arrest the priestess on suspicion, but it won't go anywhere if you aren't planning to take her to court..."

"Absolutely not!" responds the gnome with a shocked expression. "She didn't do it - I'm convinced - and I intend to give her companions a discount on their rent. The doctor especially will be staying for free, all month if he likes..."

"Fine, fine. Then my report is messy but at least its only a report. How about this merchant everyone is talking about - where's he?" asks the Captain, looking around the tavern expectantly. "Well? Murphy - where is he?"

One of the guards looks around, his actions more and more urgent. "Sir, he was right here, not one minute ago..." he says, before one of the crowd calls out, "Maybe he did it!"

Moments later the room is chaos again, as people argue the subject anew, before the Captain roars, "ENOUGH! Now all of you hush! Did anyone see him commit the assault?" As no one speaks up he shakes his head and mutters to himself. "Did anyone get his name? What did he look like, damn it?!? Ugh!" Throwing up his hands, the Captain assigns one of his men to begin a search of the nearby streets and stomps out of the tavern doors.

The investigation apparently over, Tarquin ushers everyone who isn't staying at the Crooked House out before asking the party to remain downstairs. Once it is just him and the five PCs, he pours everyone a nightcap and thanks them. "I don't know what happened here, but I'm sorry all of you got wrapped up in it. You're good folk, especially for adventurers, and have been good guests. All I remember is seeing a pendant around the attackers neck - maybe it was a key or something, it was kind of askew. It looked like something a sailor might wear...had a ship being dragged underwater by an octopus or something. I'm not sure if that will help you all out or anything, but knowing your type I bet you will try to look into this yourselves.

I'm locking up and going to bed - please accept my hospitality a little longer, at least, and stay tonight.
    "

Do you want to do anything more tonight? Or begin in the morning? What sorts of questions or investigations do you wish to do? Do you want to look into this attack, or go do something else?

(OoC Hint - the story moves forward best if you look into this attack. It was targeting all of the PCs to frame them. The bad guys failed in this attempt, but will try again another way if you don't look into this.)