New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Worms - The Hall of Harsh Reflections

Frederick dutifully assists with the investigation as best he's able, which unfortunately isn't very. As the process drags on, he finds himself approaching Lydia. "Please, allow me to sincerely apologize, friend," he mutters, self-consciously. "I just. In the moment, I couldn't think straight. Obviously you were framed from the outset, but it seems easier to tell that now..." He seems about to say more, but eventually visibly decides against whatever it was. Instead, he nods. "Please, let me know if I can do anything else to help."

Otherwise, he finds himself on de facto guard duty, watching the crowd, but especially the merchant. When the captain calls for the merchant, no one is more surprised than Frederick to find the man suddenly gone. "What the- He was right here!" He stomps around the room irritably, scanning the crowd suspiciously. "Must be some kind of shapeshifter," he grumbles, approaching the captain. "I don't think his features will help in your investigation, captain. If he used magic, I'd have noticed. Unless he can do it silently, there are always signs. He just..." Frederick sighs, shrugging. "Might even still be here..."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia appears a bit taken aback by Frederick's apology, and responds just as awkwardly. "It... wasn't your fault, I don't think. According to everyone else it sounds like this attacker looked exactly like me! What kind of dishonorable coward would stoop to such disgusting tactics? Well, at least Tarquin survived, thank the gods... and thank them that Marzena helped you come to your senses before I had to flog you up and down the hallway. Ha, ha..." Despite herself she glances nervously at Frederick's imposing figure, betraying her doubts that she could have bested him...

"A pendant with a ship and an octopus? Well, it's a start, at least..." Lydia scowls down into the remnants of her drink. "I don't know about everyone else but I'm wide awake now. We could march down to the dockside bars and start asking questions before the trail gets cold - that's my preference. Or we could wait until morning, maybe get a better idea of this symbol first. What does everyone think?" She adjusts a woolen shawl around her shoulders, otherwise still attired in only her nightdress.

Spoiler: Knowledge: Local
    Show
    Untrained (1d20+1)[2] to know about the meaning of the pendant, or where best to enquire about it.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2021-07-10 at 10:25 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick frowns thoughtfully at Lydia's suggestion. "Seems as good a place to start as any." For a moment, he considers the symbolism in his mind before voicing his concerns.

"I figure we're looking for a group that identifies with the sea creature- not the ship," he grumbles. Moments later, the pervasive scowl returns to his face. "We should expect subterfuge."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hearing the Watch taking over downstairs, Marzena breathes a sigh of relief. The tense moments with the changing moods of the crowd ease over, and she can now focus on finding out what really happened. She tries to memorize the faces of the folks she found in the room, but she leaves the detail for later inquiry. She goes back to the common room, and the first thing she does is to look for that merchant who was so vocal against the group. She doesn't approach him, but her intent gaze never leaves the man as she tries to peer into his mind.

Later, as she answers the questions from the watchmen, she tries her best to keep her eyes on him, whether or not her investigation confirmed her suspicion.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Detect Thoughts spell will last for 8 minutes and with a 60' range, she can safely check the guy out from afar.

5. - Top - End - #185

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Mechanics of the Detect Thoughts Spell
    Show
    The merchant has an intelligence of 13. He passes the saving throw required to read his thoughts, however.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Truthfully, I don't wish to delay our task or researching and trying to overcome this Age of Worms. Though you are right in that someone seems to be out for us, or Lydia. And with Tarquin giving us a discount to stay here, I understand that we should help in the investigation. I also agree that the docks are a good place to start.

Olofire's eyes narrow as he stares into his mug, swirling the ale slightly. As he looks up he makes eye contact with each person before him. We need some way to identify ourselves from this point forward. If there is someone out there with the ability to look like us, we need to have some method to let the other know that we are who are in a moment, without fear of accidentally attacking each other. Something subtle. A codeword perhaps? Unless there is another idea?
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2021-07-16 at 11:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

"I completely agree!" Frederick declares, emphatically. "Whatever these things are, we've got to figure out how to know that it's really us." He stops short. "But how? I suppose a codeword might work, but I'm not sure what kind of word would be secret enough... Maybe a few words? Just to make sure they don't say it on accident?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia pipes up enthusiastically, "What about, 'I swear on my sacred honor as a servant of the Archpaladin'? Those cowards wouldn't dare to make such a vow!""
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    Lydia pipes up enthusiastically, "What about, 'I swear on my sacred honor as a servant of the Archpaladin'? Those cowards wouldn't dare to make such a vow!""
    Olofire raises an eyebrow, "But they would definitely say the words, even if they don't mean them, if they were impersonating someone like you or Frederick. Which they already have. No I don't think that'll work. I have a thought, but I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts first. Jan? Marzena? What do you two think?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick's excitement tempers somewhat at Lydia's suggestion. "That's... a lot of codewords. I would think it needs to be something short- easy to say in the middle of combat. The hard part is making it not seem out of place..."

11. - Top - End - #191

"This is a good idea... One impersonation is a bad enough experience, we can't allow our enemies a repeat." Marzena eyes Sir Frederick carefully, frowning. Suddenly, her smile shines again. "I have a suggestion. Let me see..." She produces her Harrow deck of cards, and draws one, shows it to the half-orc, then to the others. "Your call phrase shall be, 'I draw the Winged Serpent', it isn't overly long, is it? And then..."

The warmage proceeds to draw a card for each group member.

"Doctor Olofire, yours is 'I draw the Snakebite'. Reverend Lydia... 'I draw the Crows'. My dear Jan... 'I draw the Vision'. And mine is, 'I draw the Tyrant'.

Here. That should do it."

She pauses, deep in thought. "Then, of course, as always the cards hold a lesson for us. We're faced with an evil ruler, the Tyrant, scheming for murder, theft, assassination, and especially, discord, as represented by the Snakebite first, then the Crows. But we shall prevail, through the knowledge of the Vision - she does a little curtsy in Jan's direction, followed by one at Frederick - and then by that knowledge as it informs good judgment, as the Winged Serpent clearly indicates."

Spoiler
    Show
    (Refer to the Harrow deck and draw method)
    Frederick [roll]1d6[roll] [roll]1d9[roll]
    Olofire [roll]1d6[roll] [roll]1d9[roll]
    Lydia [roll]1d6[roll] [roll]1d9[roll]
    Jan [roll]1d6[roll] [roll]1d9[roll]
    Marzena [roll]1d6[roll] [roll]1d9[roll]

Botched rolls redone in OOC
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2021-07-17 at 06:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Having said her piece, Jan largely fades into the background to allow the guard to perform what minimal investigation they're able, given the brevity of the incident and the following commotion. Aside from sending the occasional withering and/or smug glare toward the merchant who opposed her efforts to sway the crowd, she largely watches the junior guardsmen as they take statements. She beams at Tarquin, seeming equally glad at his recovered condition and his corroboration of the party's good character and behavior.

Her serenity lasts right up until the sudden disappearance of her loudmouthed opponent, and she suddenly dissolves into a writhing ball of fury and hissed epithets. After only a few seconds, her frustration is spent; with a deliberate (and visible) effort, the gnome stands to her full (albeit unimpressive) height, attempts (largely without success) to corral the dark, tentacle-like locks of her dark hair, and recomposes her face into an expression of mild annoyance.

As her companions regroup around their table in the common room, Jan seems to be lost in her own inner dialogue, responding with little aside from a scoffing "Hmmph" at the suggestion that the investigation begin immediately, despite the evening's late hour and unexpected activity. That is, until Marzena produces her Harrow deck and begins to consult it, drawing the gnome out of her inner thoughts and into excited anticipation!

"'I draw the Vision', huh? I don't know what that means, but *I've* been called a 'sight for sore eyes' once or twice, so I'll take it!" Giggling at her own joke, Jan's smile fades into concern once more. "Seriously, though, we have to investigate, don't we? I mean, surely there are other adventurers in the city, did we just get 'lucky'" the word drips in sarcasm, "and happen to pique the ire of some band of ne'er-do-wells??

I doubt it,
    " she glowers, suddenly sullen, "I think somebody doesn't like the threads we're tugging on for fear it'll unravel their webs along the way. This time, it worked out; Tarquin isn't much the worse for wear, thank goodness, but next time we may not be so lucky."
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

13. - Top - End - #193

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "This is a good idea... One impersonation is a bad enough experience, we can't allow our enemies a repeat." Marzena eyes Sir Frederick carefully, frowning. Suddenly, her smile shines again. "I have a suggestion. Let me see..." She produces her Harrow deck of cards, and draws one, shows it to the half-orc, then to the others. "Your call phrase shall be, 'I draw the Winged Serpent', it isn't overly long, is it? And then..."

The warmage proceeds to draw a card for each group member.

"Doctor Olofire, yours is 'I draw the Snakebite'. Reverend Lydia... 'I draw the Crows'. My dear Jan... 'I draw the Vision'. And mine is, 'I draw the Tyrant'.

Here. That should do it."

"Marzena, I like that plan a lot! Why don't we head up to the rooms and get some rest to start our investigation after a good breakfast?" Olofire finishes his drink and begins to head upstairs.

Spoiler: If he has any doubts about the party...
    Show

He goes up to his room, locks the door, and goes to bed with the scalpel nearby..

Spoiler: Assuming he believes everyone is who they say they are...
    Show

When he reaches the middle of the stairs, he looks back to the party, and motions with his head for them to follow and continues up the stairs once he sees they are coming. He ushers everyone in his room and has them sit down either on the bed or the chair, before taking a stance in the center of the room.

" Forgive me for being paranoid, but I would prefer to finish this conversation in my room free from potentially prying eyes. Again, Marzena, I do like your plan and would like to keep those codes to identify ourselves. However, I'd like to offer a contingency code as well. While each those are each short and easy to remember, that also means they are easy for someone else to learn and copy. Should one of us feel that we've been infiltrated again, even if they are saying the correct code, how about we give one more test to verify we are who we say we are?" He pauses to make sure everyone (Jan) is understanding what he means before continuing. "The contingency I'd like to offer is this: colors. Let me explain." He starts to pace as he talks. "If we are wanting to verify someone's identity even after we offer 'I draw the snakebite!' We can say a small phrase including an item or animal or plant known for being a certain color. For example, 'The cardinal flies from it's home.' in this example the color is red for the cardinal. The response can be anything you want so long as it also includes an example of that color! For example, a reply to the cardinal phrase could be, 'The ruby no longer sparkles.' or 'Every rose has it's thorn.' or 'The blood flows uphill.' Any of these would work as they all have something red: ruby, rose, blood. It doesn't matter the color you choose nor does it matter the phrase you say. All that matter is the response also includes something of the same color you offered!" He stops pacing and opens his eyes, a big grin on his face, "What do you all think?"

He spends the next few minutes answering any questions and making sure everyone understands.(we can do this in OoC or Discord if everyone wants to move along.) "Remember, the first code will be from Marzena's harrow deck. Use that first, this last one is only should we feel if the imposter is among us and also knows the harrow codes. I do believe you are all you right now. And hope we never have to use this. I trust each of you. Please know this is just another level of trust among us in my mind. Now let's truly get some sleep. We do have a big day ahead of us again."

14. - Top - End - #194

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    When he reaches the middle of the stairs, he looks back to the party, and motions with his head for them to follow and continues up the stairs once he sees they are coming. He ushers everyone in his room and has them sit down either on the bed or the chair, before taking a stance in the center of the room.

" Forgive me for being paranoid, but I would prefer to finish this conversation in my room free from potentially prying eyes. Again, Marzena, I do like your plan and would like to keep those codes to identify ourselves. However, I'd like to offer a contingency code as well. While each those are each short and easy to remember, that also means they are easy for someone else to learn and copy. Should one of us feel that we've been infiltrated again, even if they are saying the correct code, how about we give one more test to verify we are who we say we are?" He pauses to make sure everyone (Jan) is understanding what he means before continuing. "The contingency I'd like to offer is this: colors. Let me explain." He starts to pace as he talks. "If we are wanting to verify someone's identity even after we offer 'I draw the snakebite!' We can say a small phrase including an item or animal or plant known for being a certain color. For example, 'The cardinal flies from it's home.' in this example the color is red for the cardinal. The response can be anything you want so long as it also includes an example of that color! For example, a reply to the cardinal phrase could be, 'The ruby no longer sparkles.' or 'Every rose has it's thorn.' or 'The blood flows uphill.' Any of these would work as they all have something red: ruby, rose, blood. It doesn't matter the color you choose nor does it matter the phrase you say. All that matter is the response also includes something of the same color you offered!" He stops pacing and opens his eyes, a big grin on his face, "What do you all think?"

He spends the next few minutes answering any questions and making sure everyone understands.(we can do this in OoC or Discord if everyone wants to move along.) "Remember, the first code will be from Marzena's harrow deck. Use that first, this last one is only should we feel if the imposter is among us and also knows the harrow codes. I do believe you are all you right now. And hope we never have to use this. I trust each of you. Please know this is just another level of trust among us in my mind. Now let's truly get some sleep. We do have a big day ahead of us again."
    I am going to run with a morning-start for your investigation efforts. Olofire trusts all of the PCs, so I posted the above to make it easy to read.

The party spends the rest of the night trying to rest, confident in each other and anxious to begin their investigation into the attacker who impersonated Lydia. With the description of the key-pendant they set out into town to begin asking around. It takes most of the morning, but after talking to several sailors from the River Quarter they learn that the design on the key matches that used on several old warehouses there. Most of the buildings have been demolished and rebuilt, but there is one warehouse left with that symbol. The now-dead merchant who once owned the building failed to leave a clear will, so the building has been stuck in legal-limbo for several years now. Lurking at the edge of the Selintan River like a rotten log washed ashore, the warehouse marked "Sodden Hold" is built mostly of stone with a wood shingle roof covered in long, ropey moss. The building's faded green paint and boarded-up, second-story windows mark it as abandoned and unoccupied - the perfect place for a covert organization to hide. A tall set of iron double doors marks the only entrance, with a heavy iron chain and lock securing it.

Spoiler: Survival DC 20
    Show
    In spite of the abandoned look, it is clear that these doors are frequently used - the dirt and sand in front of the door are clearly swept out of the way of the doors in a way that can only mean the door is opened regularly.

Opening the lock will require either a key or a DC 30 Disable Device check.

When do you want to explore the Sodden Hold? Do you want to do anything else before going inside?

Spoiler: Greyhawk City Map (so far)
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia yanks the iron chain in front of the entrance to the Sodden Hold, verifying its sturdiness before letting it fall with a scowl. "Locked up tight... but the symbol matches! There's got to be something behind this door that relates to the assassin. Sir Frederick, I suggest you take that hammer of yours and smash this lock! The rest of you prepare yourselves - if they're in there they'll know we're coming, and they might not come along quietly..." She takes a few steps back to give Frederick room to swing, and her hands tighten around the shaft of her longspear...
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196

Marzena makes a practical evaluation of Olofire's concept. "That's paranoid all right, but we can be forgiven for that, with what happened last night. And it's easy enough to remember. Your idea works for me, Doctor." She winks. "Except that, not all roses are red, so that example isn't the best."

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    Lydia yanks the iron chain in front of the entrance to the Sodden Hold, verifying its sturdiness before letting it fall with a scowl. "Locked up tight... but the symbol matches! There's got to be something behind this door that relates to the assassin. Sir Frederick, I suggest you take that hammer of yours and smash this lock! The rest of you prepare yourselves - if they're in there they'll know we're coming, and they might not come along quietly..." She takes a few steps back to give Frederick room to swing, and her hands tighten around the shaft of her longspear...
    "I gather we're not much for discreet entrances..." Marzena smiles. "The place looks abandoned, at worst we'll take a scolding and a fine for trespassing. Just let me see what the card is for me today..." From her scarf pocket, she pulls a single Harrow card out of the now familiar deck. Looking at it, she frowns, her easy-going composure yielding to one of worry.

"The Tyrant. Again. We should expect trouble, and possibly, to meet someone really dangerous. Let's be on our guard."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6)[6] (1d9)[7]
    Using her Harrowed feat, she gets a +2 to use, once today, on any roll modified by the ability associated with the card: Charisma, in this case, which isn't a great option for her, but such is the way of cards...
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2021-07-19 at 12:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire raises his hands Frederick Wait wait! Let's try not to alarm whoever is inside. I might be able to open it quieter than smashing it with a hammer. And do we want to bust in right now in broad daylight? He looks to both of the heironians.
    Lydia, I know you're upset. We all are over what happened last night. But let's not be hasty and let our anger get the best of our judgment.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

The night before:
    Frederick follows Olofire up to his room, trodding carefully on the uneven steps. He tromps into the doctor's (relatively cramped, with the whole party inside) quarters, and finds himself forced to sit as a preference to standing hunched in the Halfling-sized room. He follows the conversation, except for a suddenly surprised glance towards Marzena. "They're not?" he wonders. "I thought that was... the whole point of roses.... Never heard..." Realizing this is decidedly off-topic, he lapses into silence before offering a grunt and a nod by way of his agreement.

That morning:
    The hulking figure of the Heironean paladin tromps through the city streets of Greyhawk with a scowl for everyone he passes. When they finally find themselves at the seemingly-abandoned warehouse (no thanks to him), he seems more than ready to take a hammer to just about anything, for perhaps no reason at all. Only Olofire's hasty hand on his arm stays the steel head, and Frederick quickly sees the smaller man's point. "Yes, well." He steps back, giving him room, and shrugs at Marzena. "Discretion belongs at the Three Dragon table and perhaps sessions of government. Neither suits me, much."

He does exchange the hammer for his blade as Olofire works, fully expecting some sort of resistance from within.

19. - Top - End - #199

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Seeing the heironians unchanged on their stance for entering tonight, Olofire reaches into his pack. "Ok, well at least you three tall ones form a perimeter around me so no one can see me try and pick the lock.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Disable device (1d20+20)[23] (+1 vs traps)
    I don't know if I need a stealth roll since this is day time but (1d20+19)[34]

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 5/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 7, Init 5, HP 47/47, Speed 60 ft
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 13, Will 4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +11 (not mutated, +13 mutated) (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +10 (not mutated, +12 mutated) (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +14 (1d4+8, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 9
    Condition None
    -Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 1/1
    -Panache 3/3
    -Spontaneous Healing 2/2 left today

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick quickly begins to fidget nervously. He scowls as the faint clinks seem to produce no opening. "Are you going to open it, Doctor? No sense standing about all morning."

21. - Top - End - #201

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Do you remember the last time I had to pick a lock? Me either! It's been weeks! Months! Give me a break, I'm a little rusty." Between his whispers he misses once again until, TCH-kik! The lock opens and Olofire lets out a sigh.

"Now do you want me to go on ahead and look around? Or would you like to lead the charge Sir Frederick? Lydia?

Show

Rolls done in OoC
    Succeeds on the 3rd try.

22. - Top - End - #202

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Map
    Show

As the lock falls away the party is able to open the two iron doors into what appears to be a normal, large storage room in a riverside warehouse. The large space is dominated by dozens of crates and barrels of various sizes and lit be a number of faintly flickering torches above. There is a thick layer of dust covering much of the cargo stored here and a catwalk about fifteen feet up directly opposite the entrance. There are two doors on the righthand side (south), a door to the catwalk (also on the south side), and a single door at ground level to the left (north).

You see no immediate threats, but if this is where the Lydia-imposter makes a home (and it is), then there are likely to be hidden dangers. Your PCs are already a bit on edge and paranoid from the attack last night. Please note precautions you take as you explore and describe details like marching orders and any deliberate actions you are taking.

For example, unless you specifically make an effort, I will be assuming Perception checks are essentially 10+your PC's modifier unless you are actively looking around. If you can Take 10 while threatened and want to do so on other skills, that's fine, just say so. If you want to Take 20, you risk bad things happening - I will basically start rolling dice until you reach a 20 and apply consequences as they happen, if there is something bad that could happen.

So, what do you do now?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"What a heap of junk... although, the dust should make it easier to tell if someone has been here recently - try not to kick it up too much," Lydia admonishes. "However that impostor was appearing as me, it wasn't natural! Hold on, I'm going to check for magical auras." She closes her eyes and utters a brief prayer to Heironeous, and when she opens them they are lightly filmed over with a golden sheen, and she scans the shadowy interior of the warehouse.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Remaining in the entrance for now, cast a light orison on the longspear and then detect magic. If she detects an aura she'll concentrate for 3 rounds to get as much info as possible.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick stomps (though not exactly intentionally so) into the storage room, glaring angrily at the boxes as if offended by their very presence. "Looks like nothing to worry about in here," he growls, as he begins to prowl around looking for something to hurt. He meanders through the winding rows of crates, vaguely towards the doors on the southern side of the room.

"Lydia, make sure nobody sneaks up on us?" he asks, gesturing vaguely towards the door now at his back ((the one leading to the North)).

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Marzena, I like that plan a lot! Why don't we head up to the rooms and get some rest to start our investigation after a good breakfast?"
    Jan stretches, the night's exertions finally seeming to take their toll upon her. "A good rest and a better breakfast, doctor's orders!" she says, feigning seriousness before giggling at her own joke.

As Olofire's further concerns are revealed, along with his suggested solution, she smiles quizzically at the halfling. "I think by the time we get to that point, we'll be in well over our heads with the cloak-and-dagger stuff! But I s'pose if it turns out we do need it... better safe than sorry?"

As the morning breaks and the party makes their way through the city, Jan's mood is light and cheery. She performs the necessary social interactions with the sailors and workmen along the way, until she finds herself staring up at the abandoned and dilapidated building. "'Sodden', indeed." she murmurs to herself, thoughtfully.

As the others discuss the approach to the door, Jan watches Marzena's Harrow draw with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "The Tyrant. Again. We should expect trouble, and possibly, to meet someone really dangerous. Let's be on our guard."
    Jan blinks a few times, and swallows back some trepidation. Fishing a wand out of her waist pouch, the gnome applies its energies to herself before stowing it securely.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Wand of Mage Armor, 1 hour duration

Afterward, casting Light on Frederick's weapon.

With the door finally opened, and Frederick already making his way inside, Jan trots forward, placing herself deliberately between Frederick and Lydia. "Coming, Marzena?" she whispers theatrically between clanks of Frederick's armor.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2021-07-24 at 05:38 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

26. - Top - End - #206

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Before Olofire follows in after Frederick, he downs an extract that gives his eyes a faint purple glow. And quietly, he goes north around the room looking all around him.

Show

Olofire is going to take a Detect Secret Doors Elixir. 60ft cone to detect secret doors, compartments, caches, etc. for the next 5 minutes. Scalpel is in hand.

Spoiler: Character Stats
    Show

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 5/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 7, Init 5, HP 47/47, Speed 60 ft
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 13, Will 4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Condition Detect Secret Doors 5:00 left
    -Panache 3/3

27. - Top - End - #207

"Two pairs of eyes are better than one." As she enters, Marzena imitates Lydia's spell with magic detection of her own.

28. - Top - End - #208

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Neither Lydia nor Marzena detect anything magical in this room. It is possible some of the crates hold magical items, but none are obviously enchanted.

After several long breaths of intense (and judgmental) scrutiny Frederick walks inside the room, tending towards the right and the doors on the south. With Jan beside him the two inch their ways into the storage hall, the light of her orison on Frederick's falchion guiding the little gnome's steps.

Olofire seems to instinctively sneak a bit to the north, opposite Jan and Frederick and incredibly quietly. he drinks an extract and glances towards the east wall where he notes the presence of a secret door, hidden at the far northeast corner of the room on the catwalk, some 15-ft above the party.

Nothing has leapt out at you all so far...the paranoia is thick, though. There is no obvious ladder to the catwalk, though there is a door from the south, so there is probably a ladder behind one of the two southern doors. What do you do now?

29. - Top - End - #209

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quietly, Olofire approaches the northeast corner of the room where he discovered the secret passage and attempts to continue studying it. He looks around for a way up to the catwalk to get closer.

Show

He will approach the door but stay 10 ft away from it. The 3rd round of studying a door should tell me how it opens. I also want to check for traps. However He will not open it without at least one other person nearby. He will go and get them first before opening it. In another round most likely.

Stealth (1d20+19)[22]
    Perception (1d20+13)[17] (Includes +1 from trapfinding)

Spoiler: Character Stats
    Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Condition Detect Secret Doors 4:54 left
    -Panache 3/3
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2021-07-28 at 08:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia hurries into the room after the others, heading towards where Olofire is intently studying... something. She approaches his side respectfully and asks in a low voice, "What is it, Doctor? Do you see something?"

Spoiler: Movement
    Show
    Move adjacent to Olofire, which would be ~E3 right now, but she'll follow as he moves closer to the NE corner.
    Show