New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Most attacks vs 1 target in 1 turn: 22? Can anyone do better?

This is a simple thought experiment. Rules are: self-cast spells only, no items unless they come from your class somehow. For now we'll exclude summons.

Basic Build:
    • Wizard (Bladesinger) 6
    • Fighter (Echoknight) 11
    • Ranger (Gloomstalker) 3
    • Needed ASIs: Magic Initiate (for Eldritch Blast), Metamagic Adept (for Quicken Spell)

When I take the attack action I get 3 attacks. On the first turn of an encounter, I get 4 attacks instead. If I use Unleash incarnation, I get 5. I can replace one of those attacks with Eldritch Blast, which creates 4 attacks of its own, so each attack action gives me 8 attacks. I use action surge to do this twice for a total of 16 attacks. Then I use Quicken Spell to cast Scorching Ray as a bonus action with my 4th level spell slot for another 5 attacks, for a total of 21 attacks. Haste gives me one extra attack, for 22.

(I'm aware this build isn't actually viable for a number of reasons, I was simply getting the number of attacks as high as physically possible as a thought experiment.)

The best I could do with a pure martial build:
    • Fighter (Echo Knight) 11
    • Barbarian (Beast) 3
    • Monk (Any?) 3

I could attack 3 times normally per attack action, 4 times if I use my claws, 5 times if I use my claws and it's the first turn of the encounter, 6 times if I use Unleash Incarnation. I can Action Surge to take another attack action, for 12 attacks. Then I use Flurry of Blow and attack two more times, for a total of 14 attacks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Most attacks vs 1 target in 1 turn: 22? Can anyone do better?

That's pretty darn impressive. Given the right situation you can make more with a Hunter Ranger Utilizing Volley

Hunter Ranger 11, Fighter 2, Sorcerer 7

10 feet from a point gives you a 10ft radius circle.

00x00
    0xxx0
    xxxxx
    0xxx0
    00x00

Use your first action to Volley to attack 13 targets, then action surge and Volley against to attack an additional 13 targets. Then quicken a 4th level Scorching Ray for 5 more attacks. Then have haste pre-cast to get one more attack with the bow.

Giving a total 32 attacks in a single round. Sure the situation would rarely even happen (as in never), but we are talking ideals and it would sure be sweet if it did.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2021-01-15 at 11:47 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

RAW I'm not sure you can utilise both Bladesinger cantrip-extra attack and fighter extra attack features at the same time, since they're named the same and the features explicitly don't stack.

I think that's silly, personally, and would rule you can stack, them, but it's something to be aware of.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    This is a simple thought experiment. Rules are: self-cast spells only, no items unless they come from your class somehow. For now we'll exclude summons.

Basic Build:
    • Wizard (Bladesinger) 6
    • Fighter (Echoknight) 11
    • Needed ASIs: Magic Initiate (for Eldritch Blast), Metamagic Adept (for Quicken Spell)

When I take the attack action I get 3 attacks. On the first turn of an encounter, I get 4 attacks instead. If I use Unleash incarnation, I get 5. I can replace one of those attacks with Eldritch Blast, which creates 4 attacks of its own, so each attack action gives me 8 attacks. I use action surge to do this twice for a total of 16 attacks. Then I use Quicken Spell to cast Scorching Ray as a bonus action with my 4th level spell slot for another 5 attacks, for a total of 21 attacks. Haste gives me one extra attack, for 22.

(I'm aware this build isn't actually viable for a number of reasons, I was simply getting the number of attacks as high as physically possible as a thought experiment.)

The best I could do with a pure martial build:
    • Fighter (Echo Knight) 11
    • Barbarian (Beast) 3
    • Monk (Any?) 3

I could attack 3 times normally per attack action, 4 times if I use my claws, 5 times if I use my claws and it's the first turn of the encounter, 6 times if I use Unleash Incarnation. I can Action Surge to take another attack action, for 12 attacks. Then I use Flurry of Blow and attack two more times, for a total of 14 attacks.
    You can add a reaction attack by taking Martial Adept to learn Parry and then provoking an opportunity attack that misses, for a total of 23 attacks.

(Of course you never actually would want to.)

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    That's pretty darn impressive. Given the right situation you can make more with a Hunter Ranger Utilizing Volley

Hunter Ranger 11, Fighter 2, Sorcerer 7

10 feet from a point gives you a 10ft radius circle.

00x00
    0xxx0
    xxxxx
    0xxx0
    00x00

Use your first action to Volley to attack 13 targets, then action surge and Volley against to attack an additional 13 targets. Then quicken a 4th level Scorching Ray for 5 more attacks. Then have haste pre-cast to get one more attack with the bow.

Giving a total 32 attacks in a single round. Sure the situation would rarely even happen (as in never), but we are talking ideals and it would sure be sweet if it did.
    Why only 13 targets? If they are Tiny flying targets, you can fit (4/3*pi*1000 / 125) (33) 5' cubes into a 10' diameter, each of which holds 4 Tiny creatures (Abyssal chickens?). 132 attacks per Volley.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-01-15 at 12:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Instead of taking fighter to 11, you could keep it at 3. Then with the additional 8 lvls, could raise your bladesinger high enough to cast simulacrum. If you count that as extra attacks, you will reach 40 (if I count right)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    You can add a reaction attack by taking Martial Adept to learn Parry and then provoking an opportunity attack that misses, for a total of 23 attacks.

(Of course you never actually would want to.)

Why only 13 targets? If they are Tiny flying targets, you can fit (4/3*pi*1000 / 125) (33) 5' cubes into a 10' diameter, each of which holds 4 Tiny creatures (Abyssal chickens?). 132 attacks per Volley.
    Solid point, although now I'm realizing the supposition is Most attack vs 1 target in 1 turn which makes my entire post invalid.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

7. - Top - End - #7

Also, depending on what you count as an attack, you could use animate objects instead of haste.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Hael View Post
    Also, depending on what you count as an attack, you could use animate objects instead of haste.
    Yeah, I was eyeing the 32 attacks from a 9th level Conjure Animals I'd go Owls for the flyby so we don't argue over crowding.
    (nobody had to say they were good attacks...)
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Yeah, I was eyeing the 32 attacks from a 9th level Conjure Animals I'd go Owls for the flyby so we don't argue over crowding.
    Or a bunch of Animate Dead. Or an arbitrarily-large number of Summon Greater Demon + Planar Binding.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-01-15 at 01:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Solid point, although now I'm realizing the supposition is Most attack vs 1 target in 1 turn which makes my entire post invalid.
    Correct, yes. There's too much wiggle room in volley: for example, beyond the "4 tiny creatures can fit in a 5-foot square" problem, you get into problems in situations where creatures are allowed to share each other's spaces. There's no defined number of creatures that can be mounted on another creature, so in theory you could use volley on an elephant and all 500,000 pixies using that elephant as a mount and generate 500,001 attacks.

Instead of taking fighter to 11, you could keep it at 3. Then with the additional 8 lvls, could raise your bladesinger high enough to cast simulacrum. If you count that as extra attacks, you will reach 40 (if I count right)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Or a bunch of Animate Dead. Or an arbitrarily-large number of Summon Greater Demon + Planar Binding.
    I did say no summons.

I thought of that, but there's no way to guarantee the enemy will take the AoO so it felt a little flimsy to me. I tried for a minute to see if I could figure out a way to include Grasp of Hadar and Brace in the build for a reaction attack though.

11. - Top - End - #11

I did say no summons.
    Yeah, sorry, I was illustrating why I agree with you there: allowing summons makes the whole thought experiment unbounded and therefore meaningless.

I thought of that, but there's no way to guarantee the enemy will take the AoO so it felt a little flimsy to me. I tried for a minute to see if I could figure out a way to include Grasp of Hadar and Brace in the build for a reaction attack though.
    Ah, so you're going for a guaranteed number of attacks, not just number of attacks-with-high-probability.

I would say that in practice it's rare for DMs to make enemies willingly forgo an AoO, although of course Riposte only works on a miss, which might not be rare.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-01-15 at 06:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Depending on the DM's ruling Haste could give you 4 instead of one attack by substituting Eldritch Blast to the attack thanks to Bladesong. I'm not sure how many would allow it, but it's a possibility.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

This is like the offering + genji glove combo from ff6. :)

I sure hope you cast Hex beforehand for 22d6 extra damage!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

On the 'pure martial' front, you should be able to nab 20 attacks using a Samurai and Strength Before Death + Rapid Attack + Bonus Action Attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Chimera

Sure. I can do better.

But first, let us lay down some ground rules. Kapische?
    Last edited by J.C.; 2021-01-16 at 05:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Sure. I can do better.

But first, let us lay down some ground rules. Kapische?
    Aren't self-cast spells only, no magic items unless class-given and no summons enough rules?
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-01-16 at 05:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

One could argue that the Echo itself is also a summon.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    LOL. If it's not a summon then what is it?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Even so, you are the creature making the attacks, you are simply making the attacks from its space instead of yours.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    On the 'pure martial' front, you should be able to nab 20 attacks using a Samurai and Strength Before Death + Rapid Attack + Bonus Action Attack.
    Strength before death is technically two different turns. I would probably allow it if you had a reliable way to trigger strength before death yourself accounted for in the build. I've fiddled with that a bit: 2 levels of moon druid, bonus action wildshape into a tiny creature with 1 HP, climb 10 feet up and fall to take 1d6 damage and technically fulfill the conditions of Strength Before Death, stand up and take your second turn. Though because you have to bonus action wildshape and don't get to fighter 20 that's just 15 attacks.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Depending on the DM's ruling Haste could give you 4 instead of one attack by substituting Eldritch Blast to the attack thanks to Bladesong. I'm not sure how many would allow it, but it's a possibility.
    A well trod debate. However, my interpretation is: "Can't" beats "Can". In this case, the special conditions (1 weapon attack only) of the Haste spell are a "can't" condition which overrules the "can" of the Bladesinger's extra attack.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Strength before death is technically two different turns. I would probably allow it if you had a reliable way to trigger strength before death yourself accounted for in the build. I've fiddled with that a bit: 2 levels of moon druid, bonus action wildshape into a tiny creature with 1 HP, climb 10 feet up and fall to take 1d6 damage and technically fulfill the conditions of Strength Before Death, stand up and take your second turn. Though because you have to bonus action wildshape and don't get to fighter 20 that's just 15 attacks.
    You don’t need to do anything like that. You can just, say, fly then let yourself fall while injured.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2021-01-16 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    You don’t need to do anything like that. You can just, say, fly then let yourself fall while injured.
    I suppose you could spend some time before combat punching yourself until you were at 1 HP (unarmed damage is reliable, so you wouldn't be left risking bringing yourself to 0 prematurely): I never disallowed prep-time (and the caster was allowed to pre-buff himself) so I suppose it's only fair. Then all you need to do is attempt an ill-advised backflip: jump 10 feet into the air, fall, break your neck, then you get to take your second turn.

Of course you would be dying at the end of all of this, but I suppose I never made a rule prohibiting suicide builds.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Not sure you can swap an attack for a spell -- the attack is just one d20 roll, not the attack action. The cantrip requires an entire action, and you only get 1 + the surge. Still like 16 attacks though.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CapnWildefyr View Post
    Not sure you can swap an attack for a spell -- the attack is just one d20 roll, not the attack action. The cantrip requires an entire action, and you only get 1 + the surge. Still like 16 attacks though.
    They are using Bladesinger's feature to swap one attack from the Attack action with a cantrip (Eldritch Blast).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    They are using Bladesinger's feature to swap one attack from the Attack action with a cantrip (Eldritch Blast).
    The OP needs to choose between Fighter Extra Attack and Bladesinger Extra Attack. They cannot both be used. So his proposed solution can only produce 20 attacks, correct?
    Last edited by J.C.; 2021-01-16 at 06:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

The OP needs to choose between Fighter Extra Attack and Bladesinger Extra Attack. They cannot both be used. So his proposed solution can only produce 21 attacks, correct?
    Depends how the DM rules. By RAW, I’d agree, but as a DM, I would allow it. You’ve invested 17 levels into this-might as well be cool.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Depends how the DM rules. By RAW, I’d agree, but as a DM, I would allow it. You’ve invested 17 levels into this-might as well be cool.
    RAW is what counts for this thought experiment, correct?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The OP needs to choose between Fighter Extra Attack and Bladesinger Extra Attack. They cannot both be used. So his proposed solution can only produce 20 attacks, correct?
    Depends. Is the limitation on Extra Attack restricted to the number of attacks? From how the Multiclass rules are written it could go either way.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

RAW is what counts for this thought experiment, correct?
    For this, probably. So OP’s build is actually down to 16 attacks, by my count.

That being said, it’d work at my table, and many others probably, so perhaps there should be two categories-one for strict RAW, one for reasonable RAF.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show