New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Shadow and Bone: The Grishaverse

So a few months ago I saw the teaser trailer for Netflix's Shadow and Bone series. Intrigued by the visuals, I did a little digging, and found the show was going to be based on two series of novels, first the Shadow and Bone trilogy and also the Six of Crows duology. I've fallen in love with the books and am currently working on the third series, the King of Scars duology. I've also been paying close attention to the press about the show and it looks very promising! I am excited.

The premise:

A vaguely imperial Russian styled kingdom, Ravka, is split in two by the Shadow Fold, an accidental magical creation, also known as the Unsea, which is an area of pitch blackness filled with terrible monsters. East Ravka, the political center, is tenuously connected to West Ravka, which has access to the True Sea, through the Fold. They are bordered to the north and south by enemies, Fjerda and Shu Han. Depserate, crossings are made by soldiers of the First Army, Ravka's main infantry, and members of the Second Army, the Grisha, Masters of the Small Sciences, magicians basically. Throughout the world they're hunted and persecuted, but in Ravka they can train and work for the crown, keeping the country safe from its enemies and aiding the crossing the Fold.

The Shadow and Bone trilogy centers around a girl in the First Army, Alina Starkov, who on her first crossing of the Fold discovers she has a power that could change everything.

The Six of Crows duology takes place a little after Alina's story, in the Amsterdam-like city of Ketterdam in Kerch, a powerful merchant nation. The titualar Six are a group gathered by master thief Kaz Brekker, to break into one of the most secure places in the world in order to control the production of a dangerous drug that can alter a Grisha's power. The books are a rollercoaster of ups and downs and shifting fortunes. The show's first season is going to cover a before unseen backstory of three of the Crows: Kaz, Inej, and Jesper, so I don't quite know what we'll see there.

So have you read the books? Excited for the show just like I am? Didn't think the supposed 'love triangle' in the first set of books was that great? I want to talk about it!
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Shadow and Bone: The Grishaverse

I have not read the books but I have seen people gushing about Six of Crow all over the place. Enough for me to want to give it a try.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I've read Six of Crows. Eh, it's okay.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Six of Crows was fun, and it's sequel Crooked Kingdom was a wild ride for me. What didn't you like about it?

In my opinion, you can read Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom without reading the first trilogy, but if you want to read the King of Scars books, you'll want to have read Shadow and Bone and them.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.