New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Eldritch Knight maybe MC with War Wizard

So I'm planning a character for a campaign that I initially thought was going to get to mid/end of tier 3. I was going to go EK all the way, as nobody in our group has tried it. The plan was get Blind Fighting style, GWM, and spam fog clouds and darkness spells to get advantage with the big weapons. I was thinking VHuman to get GWM or 1/2 Drow for Fairie Fire and Darkness. I think War Magic would have been a bit situational for him if I could have reliably got advantage and put someone down with multi-attack and generated the bonus action attack that way. At level 13 I'd have gotten the 3rd level spells, which would have been a chance to cast something blasty during an action surge and revert to plan A most of the time.

The guy who is DMing changed things up and is now going with Rime of the Frostmaiden, which says levels 1-12, and likely means our group will finish by playing level 11 characters. So if I go with what I planned I won't get 3 attacks until our very last level and I'll never get 3rd level spells. Basically I'm thinking EK might come online too late for this campaign

So I'd like to still do something along the same lines. Here are 3 options that seem workable:

1) Stick with the plan and go to EK 11.
    It does give me the 3rd attack before the end. On the down side, besides that I'm struggling to find what really good stuff this gives me for the 2nd half of the campaign. Sure the extra feats/ ASIs are good, but as I said above War Magic seems situational, which I think means Eldritch Strike is even more situational. Indomitable is ok, but 1/ long rest is again the definition of situational

2) Go EK 7 and War Wizard 2, then 2 levels into...
    Both the initiative bump and the reaction bonus seem really good. (our table doesn't end up using a lot of AoO, so that won't clash much) Also, I'd rather not be spamming Shield with limited spell slots and this gives a good alternative. Also ritual casting, etc from Wizard are more versatile, which may be almost a need depending on the rest of the group. Downside is I finish without either 3 attacks or 3rd level spells. Also I'm not sure where to go for the last to levels.

3) Go EK 5 and War Wizard 5, and the last level in one or the other, probably EK since the caster levels are even and I get the ASI.
    Upside is basically the same as option 2 + I'll have 3rd level spells for the last 2 levels (which means my character will function kind of the way I envisioned) Downside is I'll have 8 total levels before I get 2nd level spells (darkness), though I suppose that's only 1 behind. Also I'll be starting to miss significant hp from all the Wizard levels.
    As I read this I suppose I do the same build, but Fighter 1, then 5 levels of War Wizard, then back to EK. That would get him the spells earlier, but multi-attack later, at 10th.

Anyway, as I said at the outset, nobody has played and EK at our table, so I'm looking for advise. Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Eldritch Knight maybe MC with War Wizard

Hmm, I don't seem to be getting a lot of help here. I'll re-phrase. Anybody who has played and EK figure the mid game abilities: War Magic, Indomitable, and Eldritch Strike are decent enough to not delay or omit entirely for a campaign ending at level 11?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you are going to be level 11 for a reasonable amount of the endgame, go EK 11.

If your campaign is ending at 11, but you won't be level 11 until after the final boss, go EK 7/8, WWiz 3/4 (the split depends on your ASI needs). Specifically I'd go EK 6, WW 3/4, then EK rest of the way. I have an EK/WW grappler for Tomb of Annihilation and I'm glad I did. The Arcane Deflection from WW is godly on a martial character. He is primarily a grappler with Enlarge, but uses Shadow Blade upcast in 3rd level slot for 3d8 base damage with near constant Advantage as most of the dungeon is low-light. If you want to focus on 2-handers & GWM, great, but Shadow Blade and cantriping with it may be better. 3rd level shadow blade deals 3d8+str or dex w/advantage in anything less than full light.

Math w/20 STR:
    GWM w/greatsword
    +PB to hit, no advantage, 2d6+15 = Avg. 23 x 2 = 46 IF both hit

Shadow Blade
    STR+PB to hit, advantage, 3d8+STR = Avg. 20 x 2 = 40 both almost guaranteed to hit and you get +2 AC from a shield
    Last edited by Zaile; 2021-01-17 at 02:37 AM.
    Signature verification required.

Latest Homebrew: The Battledancer 5e Dragonfire Adept 5e

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not sure what you mean come online too late but a GWM EK is good basically from the get go. Because it’s still on a fighter chassis.

I probably wouldn’t plan a multi class unless you find things the party needs and you can’t do it as an EK.

Sometimes things can change significantly due to what happens in game. I mean currently playing an AT and because I lucked into a +2 studded leather and a ring of protection I am basically the second tank with 19 AC.

So it’s good to think about what your options are and why you’d like WW. Like if you find you’re failing saves left and right, you will value WW and dip that potentially right after level 5 or 6. Or that due to party make up for whatever reason you going first would be a great advantage then you dip WW.

On the other hand you find that your preferred strategy of having fog cloud up and fighting with blindfighting to effectively protect you from save or sucks and basically almost never even need a saving throw, well WW levels maybe less valuable. My advice is start playing the EK and see what happens I’ve had multiple games where I changed the direction of my character due to what happened or dropped in game.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If you're an EK in the first place, you're in it for the War Magic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    If you're an EK in the first place, you're in it for the War Magic.
    Nah not his specific build which relies on vision denial and advantage to maximize bonus action GWM procs. For his idea war magic is a good to have not a need to have.

7. - Top - End - #7

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    Not sure what you mean come online too late but a GWM EK is good basically from the get go. Because it’s still on a fighter chassis.

I probably wouldn’t plan a multi class unless you find things the party needs and you can’t do it as an EK.

Sometimes things can change significantly due to what happens in game. I mean currently playing an AT and because I lucked into a +2 studded leather and a ring of protection I am basically the second tank with 19 AC.

So it’s good to think about what your options are and why you’d like WW. Like if you find you’re failing saves left and right, you will value WW and dip that potentially right after level 5 or 6. Or that due to party make up for whatever reason you going first would be a great advantage then you dip WW.

On the other hand you find that your preferred strategy of having fog cloud up and fighting with blindfighting to effectively protect you from save or sucks and basically almost never even need a saving throw, well WW levels maybe less valuable. My advice is start playing the EK and see what happens I’ve had multiple games where I changed the direction of my character due to what happened or dropped in game.
    I guess by coming on late I was thinking 1) I'd get some punch out of 3rd level spells during the campaign, which I now won't 2) the 3rd attack is, to me, what separates Fighters from other martials, which I'll barely get to experience during this campaign, and 3) I'm not going to get much out of the 7th and 10th level abilities with this build, so the later ones are more attractive.
    I think you are right about party composition and experience driving my decision. Sometimes you just need a ritual caster, and 2 levels of WW definitely aren't bad. 5-6 levels are probably only worth it if the party is martial heavy and we need significantly more spell power.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 5eNeedsDarksun View Post
    I guess by coming on late I was thinking 1) I'd get some punch out of 3rd level spells during the campaign, which I now won't 2) the 3rd attack is, to me, what separates Fighters from other martials, which I'll barely get to experience during this campaign, and 3) I'm not going to get much out of the 7th and 10th level abilities with this build, so the later ones are more attractive.
    I think you are right about party composition and experience driving my decision. Sometimes you just need a ritual caster, and 2 levels of WW definitely aren't bad. 5-6 levels are probably only worth it if the party is martial heavy and we need significantly more spell power.
    Yes especially since it’s ending at around level 11 it probably makes sense to end up at 9/2 and all you miss is 1 level of 3 attacks. You don’t even miss out on feats. If your party lacks spell casting to the point that you need to pick up 6 levels of WW you’re probably better off just going with Bladesinger 11.

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    Yes especially since it’s ending at around level 11 it probably makes sense to end up at 9/2 and all you miss is 1 level of 3 attacks. You don’t even miss out on feats. If your party lacks spell casting to the point that you need to pick up 6 levels of WW you’re probably better off just going with Bladesinger 11.
    I think you are right on the last point. At some point it's not worth trying to keep pounding a square peg into a round hole. Bladesinger 11 or Bladesinger 9/ Fighter 2 is clearly a better wizard than a 5/6 split between EK and WW, and in some ways is a comparable martial with decent at will damage.