Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Quiet Year

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Quiet Year

Hello, so glad we're actually doing this!

Link to the IC channel

First, here you can download The Oracle, a reference pdf that contains all cards descriptions.

Second, drawing cards. We can roll for it (test (1d13)[3]). We'll have to retry if we get a repeated card, but it's fine by me.

Third, the setting. I was thinking we could have a very early medieval kind of realm where people are usually afraid of any kind of magic (sometimes even healing or similar inoffensive spells) and overall populated by a very traditionalist and religious folk. What do you think?

Four, map! Should we use Inkarnate and send each other exported files via discord so we can update each other's maps? I have also played with people that were uncomfortable with drawing at all so I understand if anyone wants to skip it.

Five... let me know if I forgot something.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2021-02-02 at 04:58 AM.
    Yes, and

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Quiet Year

Can't wait to get started!

Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    Hello, so glad we're actually doing this!

First, here you can download The Oracle, a reference pdf that contains all cards descriptions.

Second, drawing cards. We can roll for it (test [roll0]). We'll have to retry if we get a repeated card, but it's fine by me.

Third, the setting. I was thinking we could have a very early medieval kind of realm where people are usually afraid of any kind of magic (sometimes even healing or similar inoffensive spells) and overall populated by a very traditionalist and religious folk. What do you think?

Four, map! Should we use Inkarnate and send each other exported files via discord so we can update each other's maps? I have also played with people that were uncomfortable with drawing at all so I understand if anyone wants to skip it.

Five... let me know if I forgot something.
    1. Got it!
    2. Rolling works
    3. By "Early Medieval" do you mean motte-and-bailey/wooden castles or Rome-insert just collapsed? Or something else? I'm find with regular people being superstitious and a bit off on magic. I'll have to read the cards, do they help determine anything about the local religion?
    4. I've never personally been the one to draw the map, so I might not be the best but I'm willing to give it a shot
    5. How mixed is the community? All one PC race? Or do we just want to determine that as a consequence of The Quiet Year?
    Last edited by Luccan; 2021-01-18 at 12:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    3. By "Early Medieval" do you mean motte-and-bailey/wooden castles or Rome-insert just collapsed? Or something else? I'm find with regular people being superstitious and a bit off on magic. I'll have to read the cards, do they help determine anything about the local religion?
    4. I've never personally been the one to draw the map, so I might not be the best but I'm willing to give it a shot
    5. How mixed is the community? All one PC race? Or do we just want to determine that as a consequence of The Quiet Year?
    3. Not so much motte and bailey (though that could be really cool, a celtic-roman kind of thing) as a very decentralized political landscape, a realm going through inner conflicts and tons of wars between neighbour lords. They struggle to conquer and unify the whole realm under a new king, only to be shared between their successors and their successors after them, until the realm is shattered in small fiefs one more time. It would feature an agrarian economy based in fiefs: a king hands out pieces of land to barons in exchange for militarily service (through vassalage) and those barons often employ knights in these military campaigns. Less plate armors, more chain mail!

5. That's very interesting, I'm all for a mixed community. The Quiet Year could help us determine which races are frowned upon and which are seen as "friendly" based on prejudice qmd tradition, and how do these people integrate the community. Kinda like foreigners, and sometimes that's also the case
    Yes, and

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I am 100% in general agreement, apart from the map thing. I am not good at draawing but I remain willing to try if need be.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know if sonofzeal is still interested, but there's a couple more interested parties in the recruitment thread
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi there! I am one of those interested, but specifically in the mapmaking. So if it's possible to delegate the mapping to someone else, I'll gladly be drawing stuff (no inkarnate, but pencil).
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Hi there! I am one of those interested, but specifically in the mapmaking. So if it's possible to delegate the mapping to someone else, I'll gladly be drawing stuff (no inkarnate, but pencil).
    So you're not interested in playing the game, but drawing our map? This could work for me, if no one has particularly interest in drawing the map then I see no harm
    Yes, and

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

So you're not interested in playing the game, but drawing our map? This could work for me, if no one has particularly interest in drawing the map then I see no harm
    I'll gladly join the worldbuilding part (the Quiet Year game) and draw the map, but I'm not 3.5 compatible

How do we start?
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I'm good to start too!
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Nice. Ready once it can be kiked off

11. - Top - End - #11

Post Re: The Quiet Year

I was thinking we could do full rounds in no particular order, meaning that each player can post once per round despite any initiative order.
    I should have an IC thread up later tonight or tomorrow, so let me know if you wanna stick to a more formal initiative order
    Yes, and

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't mind going in random. That way we avoid waiting. If you want to set up a turn limit, I am also fine with it although I can vouch for 1 post per 2 days as my standard.

Also: drawing. We should start by discussing the area/location/terrain. So that I know what to draw.

As the settlement has been described as semi-medieval, I can already start with that (a bit dilapitated, mixed stone and wood buildings?). I'd also go with temperate area with a large forest nearby.

13. - Top - End - #13

We should actually keep the map blank until we start, the Spring stage is very focused on developing the basic aspects of that region, including geography and resources.
    So not sure yet about that forest but temperate climate is a solid option to blend with the dark fantasy tone, pine woods, severe winters, that kind of thing
    Last edited by dangelo; 2021-01-24 at 09:53 AM.
    Yes, and

14. - Top - End - #14

First week of spring:
    (1d13)[1]
    Yes, and

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

We should actually keep the map blank until we start, the Spring stage is very focused on developing the basic aspects of that region, including geography and resources.
    So not sure yet about that forest but temperate climate is a solid option to blend with the dark fantasy tone, pine woods, severe winters, that kind of thing
    Oh. I see. I bought the rules and thought we were going the suggested route (basic terrain then resources then game). Well, no problem.

Also, my first draft for a settlement. Went for the dark fantasy/severe winters type of buildings - question is if the aesthetic works for you all. It will get redrawn several times, I assume, as we add in stuff.
    I did not work in the forests yet

If you want to see it full size, click the link, I uploaded it to google drive (original is some 4MB, the smaller version is 600kB).

Also, rolling!
    2nd Week of Spring
    (1d13)[13]
    Last edited by lacco36; 2021-01-24 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Imgur did not work for me, had to move the pic elsewhere.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Third week of spring (when are we discussing the cards themselves?)

(1d13)[6]
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

17. - Top - End - #17

IC channel is up. Bit of a short post cause I was kind of in a hurry, sorry!
    Yes, and

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

For discussion: I'd suggest we keep a list of people/opinions per discussion to see when everybody had their turn (maybe even having a list for everyone to go.

For projects:
    How long do you think exploration of old vertical mine & preparations for mining should take? I'd go for 3-4 weeks before we can get a steady supply out.

@Luccan: we do not discuss the cards, from what I understood. This is mostly to simulate a community that is mostly leaderless - some people just work the fields, some explore the newly found holes in ground, others try to persuade people to get as many kids as possible... especially with discussions it's necessary to understand that you can not lead a long discussion - you just say what you can and you'll see where it leads.

If you do not like what people are doing, you can take a point of Contempt (simulated by a token of some kind...). You can lose it when people do things that you like... or when you do something that you know will anger people.

It's... going to be interesting

And now I'm off to reworking the map. BTW, if you want to put something on the map, let me know where should I put it. The google drive file should be editable, just put some marks/text on it and I'll do my best.

@dangelo: If you have any comments or suggestions, or if you had a different vision, I'm open to suggestions.
    Last edited by lacco36; 2021-01-24 at 12:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

(1d13)[4]

If that's a dupe (1d13)[5]

So that is "What important and basic tools does the community lack?"

Also are we doing the abundance/sarcity thing? Or just skipping over that part?
    Also 4 weeks for the mine makes sense for me.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-01-24 at 01:04 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Oh, this is awkward. I forgot about abundancy and scarcity! I have to check the book but iirc we should have three local resources, one of them being abundant?
    Yes, and

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yeah, one is abundant the others are scarce.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-01-24 at 02:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Since we're going with a temperate region, I'd suggest:

Farmable land (abundant)
    Fresh water (scarce)
    Wood (scarce)

What do you think?

Ps: 4 weeks for the mine sounds reasonable
    Yes, and

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, yeah 4 weeks is fine. I think that works for resources. So presumably the village isn't too close to a heavily forested area, then?
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

If I read this right, each of us should state one resource that is important for the community.

Then we choose which one is abundant and which one are scarce. So we are missing a resource.

Also: the trees in forest may be good as firewood, but bad for building. Sick? Too fragile? Or even decaying, so unusable, but a hazard?

As for additional resource, I'd go for clay or animals (e.g. problem for hunters or maybe even lack of work animals - oxen, horses, etc.).

And please, let me know if the mapping is sufficient/okay for you as it is, or if it should be changed in any way.

The resources will get also drawn in once we decide on the fourth one. Arable land is relatively simple to draw, so no issue there

25. - Top - End - #25

Thanks for the insight! I'll restrict myself to adding Farmable Land as a resource, then everyone can suggest their own.

Also it's a great idea to differentiate firewood from building wood. The latter could also be useful to make bows and spear shafts.

Ps: map is looking great!
    Last edited by dangelo; 2021-01-24 at 02:41 PM.
    Yes, and

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

So if we all one each I am going to add workable metal to the list of resources.

27. - Top - End - #27

We have land, animals and metal, just missing Luccan's contribution

@JbeJ275: I believe your week is the last one of the first round
    Yes, and

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, I wanted to make sure I understood the scarcity/abundance system before I decided on a resource. I'll pick Medicine. So if it's in abundance, the community has the herbs and know how to fight disease. If it's a scarcity, we might lack the supplies or know how to even take care of simple fever. So, what do we want in abundance?
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

We have land, animals and metal, just missing Luccan's contribution

@JbeJ275: I believe your week is the last one of the first round
    I just wanted to finish this first as it's fairly relevant to my thing.

I quite like land as the abundance, it makes sense in terms of why the ommunity would pick here to settle initially but lso shows that it's woefully underdeveloped.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Btw, dangelo, you might want to message the other two players that were interested (sonofzeal and the other late comer) to see if they still want to play now that we've got the ball rolling
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show