Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 77 of 77
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Gunsforhands's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Yondalla sniffs and wipes some stinging snow off her face. Can't rely on the knife alone. Gotta try something else.

    The icy pillars have pretty obvious cracks running through them. They should make good enough handholds, assuming one doesn't mind freezing one's fingers off, which in this case Yondalla doesn't. The cold makes the pillars dry enough that they might not even be slippery.

    "Arkhos, I'm going up!"

    If he's inclined to give her a boost, that would give her a pretty big head start on the climb. Meanwhile, her shadow reaches out again inside the ice wall to take another swipe at the ring on Gregor's finger.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Climbing doesn't cost Yondalla extra movement thanks to her Thief abilities, so she should be able to get to the top and start climbing down the other side if she dashes with her standard action. I imagine that a boost from Arkhos will grant advantage, but I might also have disadvantage if the ratio of handholds to slipperiness is too low. Either way, rolling twice for athletics:

    (1d20+4)[14]
    (1d20+4)[9]

    ...and once for the spiritual weapon on her bonus action. It's still trying to cut off Gregor's hand to steal his ring, an act that is totally in Dallah Thaun's wheelhouse:

    (1d20+5)[12]
    Nexusites, Dorothy, Yondalla.
    Avatar by the Ninja Chocobo.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Winter steps forward, trying to avoid as much of the dangerous Ground as possible though even he could not avoid everything. He Needs to get that ring back! He Ends up behind Arkhos and seemingly wants to jump at him, but in that moment he transforms in a cloud of snow, flying around and past him, through the cracks of the ice and over Gregor he appears again, trying to ram his feet in the ice for a better stand. Desperately he try's to get a grasp on Gregor's hand wearing the ring.

    That's not yours!

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Walking behind Arkhos if I see that right I definitely step in the dangerous terrain at least once. Damage: (1d6)[2]
    Then I use my Bonus Action to use my racial teleport ability to get over Gregor and try to hold myself. Acrobatics: (1d20+3)[23]
    Lastly I hope I can swipe that ring away from him. Dex-check.(1d20+3)[18]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

    That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    The summoned weapon's slash only serves to make another cut along Gregor's sleeve as Yondalla takes to the wall and starts to scale it. She's over halfway up the sheer surface, which thanks to the cracks and fissures, it surprisingly easy to climb with exception to the numbing cold on her finger tips. It's at about this time though that Winter suddenly appears above Gregor, seemingly stepping out of the misty air itself only to catch himself with a both feet and one hand pressed against the icy walls, leaving him suspended over the Gregor who finally seems to notice another presence.

    Gregor looks up at Winter when he speaks. His pupils aren't visible, just two glowing blue spheres with a steady stream of tears racing away from either, barely falling from his face before turning into ice, and then Winter removes the ring. A single fluid motion that was hard to say when it exactly started, or ended, but happened none the less. And if further proof was needed that it happened, it came quite quickly afterwards. It's hard to describe an explosion as gentle, but what all around would see had all the signs of an explosion. The rolling clouds of frosty air, snow, and ice racing outwards along with the sudden boom of noise that threatened everyone's sense of hearing were clearly signs of one. Yet Arkhos, Winter, Yondalla, Azzalfet, and even Gregor would find themselves gently lowered to the ground in the wake of the icy winds, as if a gentle hand were lowering them before fading away with the rest of evidence that anything peculiar had happened at all.

    The snow was gone, and the ice. The wave of wind simply dispersed altogether. If there was anything that remained to show something strange had occurred even in a world of magic like this, it was that Gregor was looking up at all of you with wide, still tear stained eyes and slightly bluish quivering lips.

    "Y- y- y- you all are... Th-th-th-that w-w-was," the poor elf struggled to speak through chattering teeth and fierce shivering. "I-I-I- I ssssaw h-h-her, W-W-Winter," he tried to go on.

    Gregor didn't seem to be the only one who'd been somewhat changed by the event. All of the previously referred to "broken" were now standing. Standing and staring at them all, but not with the same lifeless blank expression. No, this expression had thought, or at least shock and surprise to it.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    When his hands hold the ring an immense calm washes over Winter and it doesn't bother him at all that all the snow and the ice is blown away by the silent explosion and he gets lowered to the ground with the others. He try's to hold Gregor and try's to persuade the cold that has claimed him to leave him.

    Yes we are. Says Winter calmly to Gregors first few words, seeing no possibility to hide the fact from him.

    But his next words rip all the calm away from him like it were never there. He grasps at Gregor and with a voice strained and creaking like glass under pressure he asks him. Where?! Where have you seen her!?

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Winter try's to warm Gregor up a bit with elemental attunement. He keeps the ring in his hand for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

    That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Gunsforhands's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    The phantom knife that was competing for the ring vanishes along with the ice pillars. Its purpose has been served.

    Yondalla lands next to Gregor and Winter, as gracefully as can be expected given the circumstances. At least she didn't break her shield.

    "Saw who?" She asks the elves. She looks around, trying to shake the urge to steal the ring and go throw it into a volcano or something, and notices the scattered mental casualties from before. "Oh, hey! Look who's up and walking around! At least some good came of this."

    She gets out her cloak as a blanket to help Gregor get warmed back up.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal to help him recover, or at least diagnose if he needs anything else before she goes to check on the broken.

    (1d20+5)[22]
    Nexusites, Dorothy, Yondalla.
    Avatar by the Ninja Chocobo.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Meanwhile Vulcan was doing something other than fighting wayward ice powers. He was going to try to not be outdone by a few dwarfs, but He didn't feel like he was completely ready yet. And without Winter nearby, making a ring didn't seem to really work. "Perhaps a knife. " he thought working to get the supplies he needed from the pile of broken junk outside. Waste not, want not.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2018

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Spoiler: OOC -- saving throw, damage
    Show
    [roll0] vs DC ? (didn't see a number)
    Piercing damage [roll1]

    Arkhos

    Arkhos almost immediately regrets his choice of magic--his hope had been to free, not to harm. Intent and result need not match, however, and as a mortal he has to be prepared for such ill-judged actions.

    "Fear not, friend. You have seen with your own eyes, but we mean no harm to you and yours. I apologize for the harm I have just caused you; I give my word, I acted only to free you from the frosty fetters that held you." He gestures with an open hand, not approaching, but leaning as though he wishes to. "I know how little words can mean; do not think that the gods themselves have not suffered or toiled in vain in our long lives. But short of further magic, words are all I have to give, in this moment."

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Vulcan:
    Vulcan wasn't the only one to grab up a series of supplies. All three of the other dwarves ventured out to the pile as well to grab armfuls of the damaged gear to haul back for use as raw material. Time would tick by quickly enough as they scavenged and before long, Durvan could be heard bellowing for the 4 of them to return. Borwer, Durvan and Ardni all rushed back, the occasional piece of damaged gear falling from their grasp, only to be picked up by the one following along behind. Vulcan would even find three quarters of a plate gauntlet dropped by Ardni in front of him as they rushed back to the blacksmiths. "There ya are, we've only got 2 anvils so we'll have to space this out to two at a time," Durvan added as he looked over the meager stock of the smaller town's forge. "Volunteers for who goes first?"

    Everyone else:
    "I-I-I d-don't k-know," Gregor stammered out between chattering teeth. The warmth seemed a long way from offering comfort as the chill looked to have gone completely through the elf and lingered enough to keep fighting against the other's attempts to warm him.

    When he finally did warm enough to stop shivering violently, Gregor continued. "H-her, the lady of change, the siren of spring and fair maiden of fall. H-his daughter," Gregor explained to Yondalla with a point towards Winter. "And Arkhos? What are you talking about? I know such kind and benevolent gods would never willingly hurt me," Gregor added, showing no recollection of the spells cast against him. "But why are you all here on the world? And where are the others? Do you know what's happened?"

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Winter's expression is a mix of joy and fear. In a way it was nice that he shared the fleeting nature of his daughter. It has always pained him that he was eternal and she was not, which always seemed like an unsurmountable barrier between the child and they're parents. Now if he shared these condition with her, if only for a moment he could appreciate her limited time way more than before.

    On the other hand he was as vulnerable as her and his ways of protecting his child was limited to what he could do. And he could die. That's scary. He say'd to no one in particular but then focused on Gregor again. Still ignoring the broken even with Yondalla calling them out.

    Do you know where she is? Or if she's safe? Just at this moment would be enough. Winter wanted to slip the ring on his finger but hesitated a moment to ask his two new companions.

    To tell you the truth I don't know if my mortal body can handle the might of this ring. Do you have an idea if I could?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

    That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zalphier View Post
    Vulcan:
    Vulcan wasn't the only one to grab up a series of supplies. All three of the other dwarves ventured out to the pile as well to grab armfuls of the damaged gear to haul back for use as raw material. Time would tick by quickly enough as they scavenged and before long, Durvan could be heard bellowing for the 4 of them to return. Borwer, Durvan and Ardni all rushed back, the occasional piece of damaged gear falling from their grasp, only to be picked up by the one following along behind. Vulcan would even find three quarters of a plate gauntlet dropped by Ardni in front of him as they rushed back to the blacksmiths. "There ya are, we've only got 2 anvils so we'll have to space this out to two at a time," Durvan added as he looked over the meager stock of the smaller town's forge. "Volunteers for who goes first?"
    Vulcan picked up the gauntlet as he headed back with the others before handing to to Ardni, "You dropped this." before setting down what supplies he had himself. If we're to do something, perhaps a dagger? Simple but can be more artfully done than other blades." He hums, despite the fact that going first would be against strategy, "I'm willing to show my craft first.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Gunsforhands's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zalphier View Post
    "What are you talking about? I know such kind and benevolent gods would never willingly hurt me,"
    Yondalla blushes and avoids eye contact. A voice in her head laughs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zalphier View Post
    "...why are you all here on the world? And where are the others? Do you know what's happened?"
    "The other what? Gods?" Part of her wants to make fun of Gregor for buying into this whole idea so quickly, but at this point she can only conclude that he really knows his stuff. "Arkhos, Winter, I think you said you all have the same sort of amnesia as I do, right? And I don't even remember most of the gods' names." She closes her eyes to speculate. "Gregor, you mentioned some kind of ritual that was taking place. Presumably, it was the cause of the obvious devastation here, but do you think it may have had some other purpose? If they were attempting to bind the gods themselves, then they may have..."

    She trails off, not quite sure whether to say succeeded or almost succeeded. That thought also makes her realize something else.

    "...then Winter's daughter might be in danger."
    Nexusites, Dorothy, Yondalla.
    Avatar by the Ninja Chocobo.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Vulcan:
    Ardni looks back as Vulcan offers the gauntlet with a briefly confused expression, as he'd apparently not noticed it fall. With a thanking nod, he tosses it back onto the pile he's hauling and the others continue onto the meeting point.

    After the Vulcan volunteers as one of the first contenders, the same dwarf Ardni raises his hand as well. "Aye, I'll not have my skill hiding amongst my kin," he adds as a bit of a jab towards the other two. Durvan has a bit of a chuckle as the other two stumble over retorts while Ardni moves towards the forge. "Try not to get in the way there Vulcan, and I'll try not to step on yer toes," the dwarf replies almost kindly, but the competitive edge in his voice is still obvious.

    "Alright you two, let's see some right proper forge techniques and if I see either of ya try to interfere with the other, yer out. Vulcan's voted for daggers to be forged so that's what we'll be making. Begin when you're ready." Durvan said before moving back towards the other two dwarves to watch.

    Spoiler: OOC Blacksmith battle:
    Show
    - Alright, I'm going to want a strength skill check plus prof bonus for crafting the base dagger, DC10.
    - You may attempt up to 3 additional checks to change the quality of the dagger, with the last going from a DC10 to a DC15.


    Everyone else:
    Gregor shook his head at Winter's questions about his daughter, and kept it going when asked whether the ring could be worn now or not. Then he shrugged at Yondalla's questions. "I'm not sure what the exact purpose of the ritual was, but the end of the world always seemed to be their goal, or at least that was what other people had said," Gregor added as he continued to stumble about in an awestruck state. "There's a few towns nearby, maybe you could ask around for anyone matching her description?"

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Winter had calmed down a bit. He shook his head at Yondalla's suggestion that his daughter would be in danger though. I doubt it, if they wanted to make the gods fall. She isn't a... He then seems to look right through Yondalla while his mind wanders and then says. Oh... Are you sure? He then elaborates further.

    You think they made us fall to raise they're own gods? That would be dangerous for her... She doesn't know how to handle... All of the things. She doesn't know how to craft a snowflake and even then she needs to make ten thousands of them. Perhaps she also doesn't know when to arrive or when to leave, even if they are signs…

    It seems Winter could run his mouth even further but stops himself, closes his eyes for a moment and then continues. I think we should get Vulcan, perhaps he can tell me about my ring. And when where in town we could ask around. Can you walk Gregor? Winter would try to lift Gregor as gentle as possible. The dead can wait for now. We will take care of them in due time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

    That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    "I'll try not to."
    Vulcan starts easy enough, rolling his shoulder for a moment as he heats up parts of the metal he had gotten. And much like the dwarf he goes about doing it properly. He wasn't about to interrupt someone working metal, cause only rude people do that. However, that wasn't to say he wasn't going to put more effort into making his dagger. He needed more time to get the runes done properly, however there was something deeper that he had as his mane begins to emit sparks and flames. Pounding on the dagger becoming increasingly more intense as he works the metal, he grows larger, his strength pounding the metal harder and faster as the world around him begins to shut out.

    Spoiler
    Show

    First attempt of the dagger is normal
    (1d20+5)[24] vs dc 10

    However after the first roll, Vulcan initiates Giant Might as a bonus action giving him advantage on str checks. If I have to use it once per roll, it would be the second two rolls I use it for, or if I can get all three rolls in one, I'll do that.
    (1d20+5)[19] or (1d20+5)[21] vs dc10
    (1d20+5)[24] or (1d20+5)[16] vs dc10
    (1d20+5)[8] or (1d20+5)[21] vs dc15




    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2018

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Arkhos

    Arkhos is troubled. If the ritual succeeded...why does anything remain? And if it failed, why has the world so clearly broken? Is there something they cannot remember, or were all of them deceived, the ritualists included?

    "We may linger a time, leastwise to attend to what needs attending here, but I doubt not that we will seek more." He shakes his head, the feeling of smallness never more pointed than this moment. "So many questions....and so little known. I imagine this is a moment when a mortal would call upon the gods for succor. And for the gods themselves...well, we shall have to find our strength and answers ourselves, I suppose."
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2021-03-05 at 05:37 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Vulcan:
    The first round of the smithing competition got well underway as Vulcan and Ardni and they both worked the forge with well practiced ease. The loud clangs of hammers and the hiss of steam echoed down streets and started to draw wandering eyes as passerby's with little else to do took an interest. Ardni definitely showed not only his skill at being behind the fires, but also his familiarity with working side by side. Tools were passed around as needed and the timing of when one was finishing with a particular piece of the forge to let the other use it kept neither waiting for long for any part.

    Time dwindled as the two competitors not only finished their daggers with time to spare to work on improving them. When Durvan announced that their time was done, Vulcan had a dagger that he would be proud to call his own. While he and Ardni stepped out of the forge with their creations, Borwer and Mernkov stepped in to start at Durvan's announcement. "Fine bit of craftsmanship that," Ardni said to Vulcan as they waited for the other two to finish. "Still don't think it'll hold up to my own, but I can respect a fine smith when one's standing in front o' me," he adds while holding out the heavily calloused hand for a shake.

    Everyone else:
    Gregor's frame is easily lifted up by Winter and while he swayed unsteadily, Gregor was still on his feet and nodded that he could walk. "No, I believe Winter may be right, the village is a little ways off and we might reach it close to sunset if we leave now... if there still is a sunset," Gregor added uncertainly as he looked up towards the partial eclipse that hadn't seemed to move at all since the group had awoken. "Well said Arkhos, these trying times will only be seen through by the faithful and those who manage to stay strong despite them. We'd best be going then," and with that, Gregor started to walk towards the edge of the battlefield and the path that Vulcan had disappeared down a while ago.

    The Broken meanwhile seemed to be milling about, unsure and uncertain about what was going on or what to do. Many rubbed their previously blankly starring eyes and had some light conversation with each other, casting glances at anyone and everyone as they could. They seem both curious and wary of the group.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Gunsforhands's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

    Yondalla nods. "Right, let's head back. Figuring out what's going on will take time, and we could all use some rest anyway."

    As she follows Gregor and the others out of the former ice castle area, she notices the broken. "How are you all feeling? Awake enough to talk? We're all headed to town if you want to come with."
    Nexusites, Dorothy, Yondalla.
    Avatar by the Ninja Chocobo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •