New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

In one corner of the battlefield, under the unmoving broken moon and red sun behind it, you all awaken to very alien feelings and sensations. Bones and muscle ache and there is the unmistakable thud of a beating heart in each chest, as the lot of you clamber up on shaking legs. Some even have the misfortune of having to scale small craters or crevices before being on the same level as the others. Looking about at the land framed by the red sky all can see the scores of bodies scattered about and sometimes in heaping piles, all with arms and armor blackened and damaged similarly to your own. The battle that had taken place here had to be truly grand in scale, and yet there was no clear winner. The different regalia and sigils among the scorched armor hinted at numerous different origins, but the scattered memories of your minds offered no clarity or answers, only more painful questions.

And what was recalled? Each of you were certain you were a god or at least a god like being, and there was this great battle. The sound of glass shattering and then falling but in all directions, and finally... you're where you are now, with a very mortal feeling body. Looking beyond the immediate turmoil and devastation however yielded roughly three different paths for any other direction simply continued into the seemingly endless sea of bodies.

To the North and north west were thick forest, although the northern one seemed to have a bit of a fire going on while far enough west were a steady string of beings staggering away from the battlefield.

Due west, the forest gave way to foothills that were currently bathed in a localized storm. Pounding rain and howling wind had the long grass reeling like sea waves, and the regular crack of lightning could be seen as well.

Finally to the south west, the land flattened more to a grassy plain. Yet the red tinted green fields were pocketed by blackened scorch marks from large gouts of flame that sporadically erupted from the ground, like a geyser of fire.

Let's begin!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Fallen gods of the shattered world (Team 2)

He opened his eyes.

That alone felt weird, because he never realized that he had eyes before, nor a body... And that weird beating thing inside of him was also new. At first he wanted to rip it out of it's chest but the realization that he had a body now was a bit too much to keep all the unusual things blaring to his Attention straight.

After some good minutes where he had sorted through some stuff he try'd to move. At first he was flopping in a crater he landed on but it was easier than he thought getting his limbs working. There was some lingering memory of him trying out a body, that helped him now. When he stumbled out of the crater and lay'd eyes on the shattered world memories came storming back to him.

It wasn't clear what exactly happened but he had definitely lost it's power... Perhaps like the others that awoke beside him. He felt an alien feeling connecting them with himself, perhaps by them also now having these clunky and unusual bodies. Or perhaps because it felt like they too had these weird beating things inside they're chests that seem to act as one. He took a look around himself and looked at the others that had fallen beside him and the paths that had opened up to them.

Greetings fellow fallen. I Think I am or was, the Winter... I will find out what these beings are that seem to get away from us and then we will decide what to do. He closed his eyes and wanted to transform in a raging snowstorm to blow through these beings to learn of they're capabilitiesÂ… But it seemed that didn't work. He also try'd to let his view jump to a cold place surrounding themÂ… But that too seemed to be unavailable. At least he decided to find out who or what these beings were by foot, to come back with new information to his fellow fallen.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I try to go west to these string of beings and find out what these beings are, at best without knocking over a hill of body's.

Stealth: (1d20+5)[17]
    Perception: (1d20+2)[22] Or 12 whichever is higher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Vulcan arose, taking a breath before looking around. Grabbing a hammer from one of the fallen, and searched for armor to wear. "Fools. You have naught but cleared the canvas, my forge's fire is not been quenched." The dark feline proweled around closely gathering up what supplies he could muster before looking to the others. "I am Vulcan of the forge. I take it you are not my enemy."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

This could not be- the voices were silenced. The voices never should have been silenced, for they were the voices keeping the Dreamer dreaming. As long as the Dreamer dreamt of the world, it would not fall. But the world had fallen, and the voices of the nightmares keeping the Dreamer drowsy were gone in an instant.

Things were crawling out with him, with the Pharoah. He could tell they were things because he knew mortals, and they were not them. He clutched his staff to his chest, but quickly found that it was not his staff at all. It was a stick, a rotten wooden thing. He silently cursed before focusing inward. Should these Godlings find out his purpose, his trueness, he did not know how they would react. He would not chance his survival, and possibly the world's, on assumptions.

He took on the guise of one of the soldiers. Armor battered, face bloodied. He coughed as he straightened himself. He made his way towards Winter and Vulcan, and exulted, "My Lords! Mighty patrons, I beseech your aid! I have been fighting... far too long have I been fighting... we must flee this place- regroup! The enemy... enemies... they might be near..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting disguise self and bluffing

Deception: (1d20+6)[10]
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uuuugh..."

A halfling woman reaches to grasp her cracked shield and pulls herself up from what was surely an epic faceplant. Her green and gold tunic is burned and tattered enough that her leather armor is clearly visible underneath, itself missing half of the rivets holding it together. She makes some adjustments so that it doesn't outright fall apart on her, and at the same time accounts for her hidden cloak without making a big fuss over it. It's only sensible for someone to put away their cloak rather than trip on it in battle, after all.

Of course, she's keeping it hidden for a reason. She knows who she is. She barely remembers anything else, and in a sensible world it would only serve as evidence that she's concussed beyond repair, but she knows nonetheless, because she is herself. Based on this, she might even go so far as to guess that Snowy Elf and Blacksmith Cat are in the same situation as she. A random soldier wouldn't have much basis for that theory, though. Much less would one try to bully their own gods with talk of an unseen enemy.

Rather than call out a fellow charlatan on the spot, she closes her eyes, takes a deep breath, and... wow, that smell is not good. She startles and finally seems to wake up to the scene around her. Priorities, Yondalla.

"Okay, I think I see the beings you're talking about!" she shouts to Winter over the approaching rain and thunder. She's purposely ignoring the beseeching panic-monger for now. "Are we going after them, or are we searching for more survivors?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2021-01-19 at 09:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Nothing visible save for the standing four move among the dead. To the north east, the fires continue to rage, though what might be noticed now would be the distinct lack of smoke rising from the shimmering trees. The line of beings continue their silent march onward, disappearing out of sight as they delve deeper into the woods. More directly due east, the storm continues to rage about the hills with the rain coming down in just as vicious sheets as before and south of that more fire geysers continue to erupt.

Winter and Yondalla: As Winter approaches and crouches behind a fair pile of bodies, he is allowed an uninterrupted view of the now distinct humanoid races staggering off into the woods, as does Yondalla when she gets close enough and both remain unseen and unnoticed by the observed. Among them are mostly dwarves, humans, halflings, and gnomes with a smaller mix of other, even monstrous races. Nearly all of them carry some form of injury and some struggle to bear their burden alone, but plenty are also sharing the weight of leaving the field. Perhaps the most notable of this being an orc pulling what remained of a wagon loaded with those too wounded to stand while a quartet of dwarves held up one side of an axel where the wheel was missing.

Still others seemed to have given up entirely, sitting or lying in slumps off to the side of the path, looking hollow and lost.

Nyarlathotep: The guise would have you looking well in place among those not moving and the ones that were. And while how they reacted would be up to them, the loud proclamations did seem to have another effect. The single finger that twitched at first may have gone unnoticed, but the blackened, almost skeletal hand weakly grasping at your ankle certainly wouldn't.

Vulcan: The dead offer no resistance to their arms and armor being removed, though occasionally a part will linger and have to be removed individually. Among the parts and pieces that were still serviceable you managed to find a fairly decent mixed haul. Few if any duplicates, the ranged weapons would need to be restrung, and all of it appears fragile enough that a bad enough strike could render it unusable, but it was still better than nothing.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-01-20 at 12:32 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Yondalla huddles next to Winter in his hiding spot to watch the procession for a moment, then taps his shoulder and points to some of the wounded being left behind. "Let's go talk to them."

She approaches one of the despondent and examines them before offering to help them up, making sure she won't just end up breaking their spine in the process. Standard practice for a rank-and-file halfling acolyte, she imagines. "Come on, it's alright. I can hold you up if you can tell me where we're going." She proceeds slowly with her first patient, preoccupied as she is with the other listless survivors scattered about. "Sorry, I think I took a blow to the head... What happened? Why is half the moon gone?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2021-01-20 at 01:32 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Vulcan didn't pay any mind to the others standing about viewing the battlefield or otherwise freaking out. Even with him thrown to the earth, he was a man of focus, already amassing pieces he needed for warfare once more. Using the split mail, he worked most of it onto his body, despite it being a little too lose or a little to tight in areas, it would have to do to help out. A dagger, a spear, a light hammer, a rapier, a trident, a warhammer, a hand axe. Most of the other stuff strapped onto what he could fashion into a backpack with the straps and belts of the fallen. Approaching Winter and Yolanda "I don't know who you are, but I suggest you find what you can. Whatever war we were in seems to have been ransacked by something else."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Winter wasn't really pleased with Yondalla's suggestion but he would not fight her over this.

Are you sure we should shackle ourselves to these mortals? We wouldn't be able to move freely with them in tow. But I'll yield for now, perhaps we can find a town and from there on more Information.

Winter returned to Vulcan. There was another feeling stirring inside him again. Fear? Camaraderie? Whatever it was it would need to examined later. We will try following the wounded for now. Perhaps they will bring us to a town or something. Perhaps you can then get something out of all thatÂ… rare material. When a soldier stumbled out from the mass of bodies Winter approached him and lay'd a hand on Nyarlahoteps shoulder. The enemies are gone for now. Follow us and you can get to safety. But instead of removing his hand he stared transfixed at it. An immense feeling of loss washed over him and he asked Nyarlahotep, without really hoping for an answer. You haven't found a ring, have you?

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"No ring, no direction. Can barely focus..." Nyarlathotep looked despondent and fazed, until a hand grasped at his ankle. He raised his staff, currently disguised to look like a longsword, and plunged it down at his skeletal aggressor. He did this multiple times, seemingly flying into a rage.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Oh right I should probably roll for these things huh
    Show
    Medicine (for triage and to examine the wounds of the despondent): (1d20+5)[8]

Persuasion (to rally them and get them to talk): (1d20+5)[18]

"Yondalla," the halfling medic says to Vulcan with a nod, "and yeah, no kidding. I'm okay for now, though. You work on that while I tend to these here." Then to Winter, "shackle is a weird word for it. Say you wake up in a house full of people. Are you more free if you lock yourself in the pantry?"

Of course, that's not to say Winter should talk to them if he doesn't want to. The others go do their thing while Yondalla stays and does hers.

She touches her shield and mends its cracks, reassembling the faded image of her overflowing basket. "This isn't the end, everyone," she says to the mortals that seem to have given up. "We have all lost a great deal, but for the sake of Life, we go on." Once she has the mortals' attention, she raises her hand to bless and heal them as a group.

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Mending on her shield, mostly for flavor text and to make it more believable as a holy symbol. Could she just do that for everyone's armor and weapons? She'll probably start trying that when she doesn't have so many other priorities.

2. Preserve Life on as many despondent, wounded mortals as she can get together. The division of HP depends on how many there are, but hopefully it will get them reinvigorated and back on their feet.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2021-01-20 at 12:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Yondalla: The vacant stare of the first human simply sitting on the sidelines doesn't flinch, change, or even blink as she addresses him. As she tries to help him to his feet, there's no strength at all and he falls limply forward. There's not even a reaction whether she catches him or lets his face fall to the scorched ground. Her brief medical examination would reveal some cuts, scrapes, and bruises, but nothing that would be fatal. When she turns to address the others sitting along the side, the way they mirror this behavior is almost eerie. Even in the face of her use of the mending spell which is required multiple times for each piece of the equipment given the extent of the damage, and her healing magic that would easily be able to reach a dozen of the sitting, their glassy eyed vacant stares fail to even acknowledge her.

"Please do not waste your time with the broken," a strained voice says to her. The young elf it came from lacked much of the stereotypical grace and beauty in this hellish aftermath, hair singed and cut, a nasty black eye among his battered face, and one arm hung loosely at his side laced with blood. "There's so many who need it more, and would be grateful for it," he said pleadingly while pointing to a clearing where rows of injured who'd been drug from the battlefield groaned or cried on the unscarred grass. Some had already stopped moving, and a few of these had helmets or whatever was available pulled down over their faces.

Winter, Vulcan, and Nyarlathotep: Nyarlathotep's stab pierces through the scorched limb, breaking off pieces of ash and dust instead of flesh or blood with ease. The repeated attacks do much the same until the offending limb is reduced to nothing more than a blackened stump and a few piles of ashy dust. Seconds later there would be a high pitched, hollow sounding howl carried on a sudden viscous wind that whipped through the three of you, followed by an eerie silence.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-01-20 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Grammar

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Vulcan let out a low sigh, as he looked over the direction Winter pointed at, with the dwarves and orc trying to move the three wheeled cart. Trash. The cart was trash. They were spending so much time and effort trying to move it, that could have been used for practically anything else. They needed a wheel. He ignored the person freaking out and stabbing dead charred bodies. He wasn't someone who forged minds, but iron and other metals. He looked through the shields he gathered for any big enough and round enough that they could be used to make a makeshift wheel until the cart was brought to a place he could work on it more.

Of course there was also the halfling's shield, that needed more than magic to repair, and his own gear. The other man didn't seem to carry much at the moment, and the crazy one, was... well crazy.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Winter let the newcomer vent his frustration for now, but the charred bones were concerning. Come with us for a moment. For now we will protect you and the others. He try'd to pull Nyarlahotep away for now, towards the others. When the howling is heard he quickens his pace and tells his companions. There may be survivors from the less harmless side. We should safe the one we can and may need to cut our losses.

Winter was actually deeply concerned about these broken ones. He could be merciless and uncaring but he never was unfeeling like those ones.

He quickly gathered one nearly broken sword up to complete his attire, that wasn't much to begin with. A grey shirt much like his muddy hair hangs loosely on his haggard body and his pants seem more like a sack with two holes in it. He moves gracefully almost dreamily but sometimes still stumbles when he forgets to concentrate on walking.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The young elf seems to know what he's talking about, for better or worse. Whatever happened to the broken isn't something she can fix that easily. Yondalla has another spell she could try, but given that there are some people still physically bleeding out, these ones will just have to continue waiting patiently for now.

"Alright, let's get to work," she says to the elf on the way to the moaning wounded. "Of course, I'd appreciate some assistance. Can you walk?"

Spoiler: Triage and Stabilization
    Show
    I'm not sure how many checks I should roll, or whether the NPC is helpful enough to give advantage or what. I guess I'll roll 4 medicine checks and let you decide what to do with them?

(1d20+5)[11]
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[25]
    (1d20+5)[9]

She's also willing to use her first-level spell slots on cure wounds when mundane healing won't cut it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Nyarlathotep is silent. Emotion was weakness, or so he preached, and he wouldn't be a slave to it. He simply stood to the side, uncaring of the wounded or mortals around him. He needed to think, to plan. If he had nothing in mind for how to deal with the strange phenomenon that had severed his connection with Azathoth, he was as good as doomed.

Then the howling. It was a curious thing, a predator? Something worse? He couldn't say. He stood vigil, clutching his illusory sword close. He gritted his teeth, visibly shaking under false pressure.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Vulcan: Trudging ahead of Winter and still standing Nyarlathotep to catch up to the cart, you do manage to find the only round shield in your bunch that is still mostly round. It's a bit smaller than the other wheels, but it's at least round and would keep the wagon moving. Your purposeful approach catches the dwarves off guard at first and they start to huddle up looking defensive, but they catch on quickly when they see the round shield. "Hol' up there Burl," one of them calls to the Orc who's all to quick to stop and sit, taking a break from hauling the heavy wagon. Meanwhile the dwarves rearrange themselves away from the axel and as one lift the side of the wagon high so the shield could be easily mounted.

"Thank ya lad," the same one says through his long salt and pepper beard, though whether that was the actual color or just the ash was hard to tell. "Can't say I saw you on ya field, what's your name?"

Nyarlathotep and Winter: Winter put too much distance between himself and Nyarlathotep to even have a chance at hearing the hollow and chilling voice ask "where" in Nyarlathotep's ear, but he would be able to see the ash starting to move along the ground as if a wind was blowing it despite not feeling even a slight breeze. They however both hear the string of different voices that came next in growing volume. "Can't find the way! Where? I'm lost! Where? I don't know! Where!?" coming in rapid succession from all around them, and growing in volume as the ash began to encircle each of them. Yet within this slowly growing vortex, something stirred within each of them before a final plea was asked. "Help?"

Spoiler: OOC for Nyarlathotep and Winter:
    Show
    Both of you happen to recall something from your times as divine beings. The traditional funeral rites and what was done to lay a spirit to rest in your respective realms.

Yondalla: Despite the injuries, the young elf does what he can to help, bringing around medical supplies, helping hold down a struggling patient, and it all more than serves it's purpose as you manage to stabilize several of the wounded. "I heard you earlier saying you'd hit your head and wasn't sure what was going on? So you don't remember this battle at all? The ritual? The cult of Xanathos?" He asks as a start to conversation while you come to one particularly close to death patient. There is no option other than to attempt saving him with magic. The elf seems to recognize this too and he looks at you expectantly. "You still have magic, don't you?" He asks earnestly while his good arm fiddles with a silver holy symbol you don't recognize.

Spoiler: Spell costs for saving the wounded:
    Show
    There are 2 people who could possibly be saved with the use of a cure wounds, but otherwise they've lost too much blood and simply stabilizing them will only give them minutes more.

At everyone! After Yondalla finishes dealing with the last of the patients as she chooses and Vulcan manages to get the improvised wheel mounted (again if he chooses), there is a bit of a clamor from the survivors who are pointing back towards the battlefield they just left, panic rising in their mumbled words. They point and quickly move further away from the forms of Winter and Nyarlathotep who at first were in the middle of their own individual softly swirling vortexes of ash and distorted cries, but now stood on either side as the swirling clouds of ash coalesce between them. The black and grey coals spark with life and fire again until it all suddenly explodes outwards. Standing now in the epicenter is an ashen skinned humanoid, save for the jagged red lines where embers still burn. The hollow black eyes ignite with this same fire as it lets out a piercing wail that sounds like it's from a dozen different voices at once.

Spoiler: Time to start:
    Show

- For this first fight, and probably most fights, I'm only going to really worry about initiative rolls for whether my monster(s) or the players go first, and since this guy had such a drawn out intro, I'll go ahead and say the four of you can have the first set of actions.
    - Nyarlathotep and Winter I will need a Dex save to see if you're caught in the ash cloud explosion. Please make those in the OOC chat as well prior to your posts. DC15.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Vulcan works the shield into place the best he can with what improvised tools he is able to use, unless there was any tools he'd be able to get. "This should assist for now, until we can design a better wheel. " Letting out a sigh a the creature stood up, he gave his work another look over. "Do try not to be rough with it. I need my forge.." He muttered the last line before starting to move towards the creature. Without proper tools, he was lacking in some abilities. He drew and slung out the javelin at the creature hurling it through the air. "Blasted Harpy embers. Cease your shrieking."

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[7]
    If over 30 feet but under 120 feet away, at disadvantage (1d20+5)[11]

(1d6+5)[9] piercing damage.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Winter heard the whispers of the fallen, he was struck by what have to be done and there were so many… So many… And it seems they were all so angry. When the ashen cloud formed and exploded outward he was still way to struck to react in time and missed his chance to protect himself. Before the dead could be layd to rest, it seemed they had to be pacified first.

He know what he had to do and it seemed his body reacted almost as if controlled by another one and not by himself when he gave the ashen monster a quick stab with his sword only to whirl around to give it a swift kick where it's head was supposed to be. Whirling around more dust while he spinned around.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Standard Action: attack (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[4]
    Bonus Action: attack (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[4]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Yondalla had already resolved to use her cure spells when needed; she didn't even need to be asked. "It's true," she tells the elf. "None of what you just said even rings a bell. I'm just grateful I didn't lose my faith along with my memory." She notices his holy symbol - another cleric, and probably of a friend given his apparent disposition. "Do you-"

Her question is interrupted by an explosion, and by more survivors pushing past, and by the sudden appearance of a burning undead elemental someone-or-other.

Before anyone has a chance to notice or question it, Yondalla has a loaded sling in her hands and is launching a bullet at the enemy. One assumes the sling was on her to begin with, but she may well have lifted it from one of her fallen kin. After all, it is sometimes said that a halfling wouldn't be caught dead without one.

Spoiler: Sling shot from cover
    Show
    I imagine that she's farther away from the cinder than everyone else, and further imagine that her short legs wouldn't get her into the action in one round. Winter is providing more than enough distraction for her to bonk it with a sneak attack, though.

Attack! (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (1d4+4)[7]
    Sneak Attack: (2d6)[5]

Her actions are effectively:
    1. Move up slightly to get in range (next to a medium-sized corpse, which should be in easy supply)
    2. Attack
    3. Hide (rogue bonus action, assumes the halfling ability to hide behind medium creatures applies to even the dead)

She huffs and takes cover behind one of the dead and motions her assistant to do the same, though the elf might be a bit too big to stay hidden that way. "Is that what we were fighting? I don't recognize it, either..."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2021-01-22 at 09:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

The explosive entrance of the ashen dead catches both Winter and the soldier, sending the latter back into the piles of bodies where he became indiscernible from the countless others. While the javelin fell short and the sling bullet bounced off the creature's shield, Winter's blade found a hole in the creature's armor and managed to stab into the burnt body, a small series of sparks erupting from the new wound. The creature recoiled with a hiss from the following kick that dislodged the blade, but neither wounds seemed to deter it as the ashen dead brought it's own blade about first in a downward slash and then across in a horizontal one.

Spoiler: Attacks against Winter
    Show

Attack 1 = (1d20+4)[6]
    Dmg = (1d8+2)[3]
    Attack 2 = (1d20+4)[12]
    Dmg = (1d8+2)[4]

With Winter right in front of it, the Ashen dead paid no mind to Yondalla or Vulcan for the moment.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-01-24 at 01:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

While the ashen warrior is focused on attacking, Yondalla slips to another position to shoot from an unexpected angle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth to hide and gain advantage: (1d20+6)[18]

Attack: (1d20+6)[21]
    If successfully gained advantage: (1d20+6)[13]

Damage: (1d4+4)[8]
    Sneak Attack (happens either way since Winter is still adjacent): (2d6)[8]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Vulcan grumbled at the quality of the weapons he had access to. He moved in a bit closer, preferring still to hurl things at the monster than to charge in and battle it hand to hand. If only he had some more time to properly setting up his equipment. He pulled out a trident this time hurling it at the beasty. "Blood and sand. This thing still stands? Perhaps the weapon of the sea will cool you down." He growls before hurling the trident next.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[10]
    if not withing 20 feet, would be at disadvantage (1d20+5)[17]
    (1d6+4)[6] piercing damage.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Winter danced around the attacks of the ashen one like a snowflake that a child wanted to catch. He felt an inner focus while he evaded the attacks of his enemy and decided to use it.

He let his sword bite from right to the left, used the ensuing momentum to jump in the air and kick the Monster in the stomach. He landed again before the ashen one and while landing his ellbow came crashing down towards the head of his adversary.

Spoiler: Attack against ashen one
    Show
    I use one ki point to make two unarmed attacks as a Bonus Action instead of one.
    Attack with Sword. (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage (1d6+3)[9]
    Unarmed 1 (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage 1 (1d4+3)[5]
    Unarmed 2 (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage 2 (1d4+3)[4]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Where the javelin had fallen short, the trident now overshot the ashen dead and instead imbedded itself into another corpse just beyond it.

Aside from having to watch her footing amongst the corpses, Yondalla would have little trouble hiding from the creature not paying much or any mind to her as she lined up her sling's shot. This time the bullet found purchase and slammed into the ashen dead's shoulder, but the monster aside from physically being forced forward showed no reaction aside from the similar expulsion of cinders and sparks.

As Winter brought his blade about for another slash, the Ashen dead not only lifted its shield but slammed it out against blade, breaking it off at a weak point just above the guard. Despite the possibly impressive feat, that only left the ashen dead open for the powerful kick. The following elbow though still only clashes against the Ashen dead's bulwark before it stabs forward with its own blade. Then it deftly twists the blade about so it can unleash a vicious upward slash.

Spoiler: Two attacks against Winter:
    Show

Attack 1:(1d20+4)[21]
    DMG:(1d8+2)[9]
    Attack 2:(1d20+4)[14]
    DMG:(1d8+2)[3]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, well, the monster doesn't seem to feel pain and its hide is apparently hard enough to literally break a sword against in some places, but that sling bullet definitely made it spill some kind of elemental goo. What it Yondalla cuts a hole big enough to let it all flow out?

After these last two rounds of moving from cover to cover, she should be close enough to run in and test that theory once its back is turned.

Spoiler: Yaaaaa
    Show
    Draw Hornblade and Hastily Mended Shield and run up to flank and attack!

Attack: (1d20+6)[17]
    (advantage?: (1d20+6)[11])

Damage: (1d6+4)[5]
    Sneak Attack (again, happens regardless as long as Winter is adjacent): (2d6)[7]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Vulcan drew the light hammer next, hurling it. He preferred to use a slightly ranged combat style, but as it was he just couldn't seem to get the bead on the beastly.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[12]
    (1d4+5)[8] b damage.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Winter came down he looked befuddled at his sword that just had broken in twain. His surprise left him open for another attack of the ashen warrior but at least it gave him enough quickness of mind to avoid the next attack. Though it didn't look good. His companions fought valiantly, but he should use the focus that the ashen seemed to have towards him to his advantage.

Winter let his sword fall and just gave the ashen a quick jab in the face and then studied his movements exclusively to avoid more attacks from it.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    One attack. (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage (1d4+3)[5]
    And use another ki point to use Dodge as a bonus Action to give him disadvantage against all of his attacks against me.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Vulcan's hammer did manage to reach the Ashen dead, but it meekly bounced off the creature's armor while Yondalla sprinted forward to drive her blade into the monster's back. Now it may have been the combination of attacks from behind the Ashen dead, it could have been because the quick jab that Winter threw hit only open air, but reason aside the Ashen dead looked back over its shoulder. The embers that served as eyes originally skimmed over her before lowering to spy the halfling. With a hiss the Ashen dead spun about, bringing it's cruel blade about in a diagonal slash before following it up with a potent stab.

Spoiler: 2 attacks against Yondalla:
    Show

Attack 1: (1d20+4)[7]
    DMG: (1d8+2)[9]
    Attack 2: (1d20+4)[9]
    DMG: (1d8+2)[3]

By the way, yes, both Yondalla and Winter have advantage due to flanking, and I think I'm going to try and put together quick maps for this and following battles if I can. Might have to wait until I'm home though.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

And then the thing... Ran away? Winter was positively furious a feeling he didn't anticipated. He ran quickly again towards the thing, to keep pressure away from Yondalla, jumping towards the ashen one the last few missing feet to let one of his fists hammer down at the thing, quickly followed by another kick towards it's torso.

Spoiler: Attack and disengage attack?
    Show
    I don't know if the thing disengaged as an action or has other possibility's to avoid an AoO but in case it didn't I think I get another attack?
    Disengage attack? (without Advantage) (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage (1d4+3)[6]
    Normal attack (with Advantage) (1d20+5)[8]
    (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage (1d4+3)[4]
    Bonus Action attack (with Advantage) (1d20+5)[11]
    (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage (1d4+3)[6]