New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default [EMPIRE!CotW] The Second Karlotian Council

This is an event for the on-going - always recruiting - world-building game, Empire CotW. If interested, please check out our OOC here.

The Second Karlotian Council

Spoiler: Invite list
    Show
    • Heganegiten de Gurina
    • El Redención
    • The Three Courts
    • Rutovir
    • Reluctantly, the Fallen and Forgotten

For the second time in only a few short years, Karlota Degun had called a council - but those years had changed everything. The Fedea had spread like wildfire throughout the most centralized realms of the east and south of Kaal, and was beginning to penetrate into the less powerful hinterlands. Even the far peninsula was entertaining missionaries from El Redención. But the faithful had now been presented with their first trial.

The southern peninsula, home to the maskfolk, was discovered to be home also to a noxious cult of necromancers who treated their defilement and torture of the dead as a holy act. But even as the Apiaza Nagusia and the Orokorra Nagusia gathered forces for a holy war against them, worse news arrived. The Swarm had returned.

Though the council had been several years in the planning, it now took on a new and greater significance. The faithful have weighty decisions to make.

As each delegation arrived in the valley, they were met by the Zaindariak and led through the foothills to Mendia de Voix, the holiest place in the Fedea and the site of a great temple and the headquarters of the Orden Santua. There they waited in a foyer until all the delegates had arrived, when they were taken to a much larger hall, lined with stone pillars and with a high, vaulted ceiling. A long table dominated the center of the room, lined with benches along both sides, and with two tall chairs at the head. Seated in the left chair was a middle-aged woman, wearing a deep red robe with a blue band about the waist and a silver circlet and necklace, each set with an emerald; the Apaiza Nagusia. Seated in the right chair was a tall young man with a gaunt, high-cheekboned face and a carefully-trimmed mustache and beard, wearing a helmet wrapped in a light blue turban and a dusty red gambeson; the Orokorra Nagusia. Behind them stood a number of Apaizak in red or yellow robes.

"Welcome, fededunak," said Degun. "There are many matters of importance to touch on this day, so I hope you will forgive me if I pass over the pleasantries. With each passing day, necromancers consign more souls to torture and the Swarm has returned. The divine Chorus sends us a sign that we have erred and we must change our ways. The Orden Santua is no tyrant, and so we have called you here so that your voices may be heard."

"We must deliberate first on our military course," interrupted the Orokorra Nagusia. "The necromancers, or the swarm. The Zaindariak can manage only one at a time, and it seems we have by far the greatest force among the faithful."

"Yes, I think we must handle that issue first," replied the Apaiza Nagusia gracefully. "There are points of doctrine as well, but they may safely wait. What say the fededunak? Do we allow more souls to suffer at the hands of the necromancers to pacify the Swarm, or do we risk the Swarm gaining strength to defeat the necromancers?"
    Last edited by Minescratcher; 2021-03-12 at 01:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: [EMPIRE!CotW] The Second Karlotian Council

The lead delegate from Illopaña was this time a prominent member of the Mandate's Apazia, accompanied by the Oyende Isabella de la Llanura in the vain hope that another extended departure from La Illopaña would stop the Mariscal's incessant moping over her, and the now-famous Jenuak translator Gaizka. The trio attended the grave of the late Mariscal Banca before traveling to the Council to meet with the fellow followers of the Prophet.

Apazia Estela, a woman of perhaps 50 years of age, spoke to the assembled delegates, while Isabella de la Llanura sat ramrod straight in her chair, betraying not a speck of emotion, and looking almost like she was listening to something other than the assembled leaders of the church.

Spoiler: Isabella de la Llanura (ignore Christian iconography)
    Show

"Thank you once again for your invitation here, Apazia Nagusia. This is surely a time of importance, as you have noted. To paraphrase the words of the prophet, it was the sins of barchato- of which these necromancers are one of the most disgusting incarnations- that brought the swarm upon the world the first time, and surely the same is true again. The swarm ultimately being limitless, the surest way to prevent the danger is to root out the corruption that it is intended to destroy, chiefly, the necromancers."

Isabella spoke, her dictation perfect and matter-of-fact but her face, as always, eerily unreadable.
    "With your leave, I will accompany your forces to the region. I have been there hunting barchato before, and I know the land."
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2021-03-08 at 09:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The mischief Raba-yan brought with him was a lot smaller this time, but he was accompanied by other companions who could make an impression: a pair of imposing hobgoblin guards, each armed with a longbow and an axe. Theological discussion had not been the merchant's forte in the first council, and nothing had changed since then. But he was the leader of the most important guild in the city, so surely he was the most fitting to represent Rutovir. After having greeted the Apaiza Nagusia, Orokorra Nagusia and the other delegates in his usual flamboyant style, he listened intently to the opening statement and Apazia Estela's argument.

"There will always be those who go against the accepted doctrine", he said. "Whether they've truly played a part in the Swarm's return can be investigated after it has been dealt with. The Swarm is one of a kind as a threat. It last ravaged Kaal a hundred years ago, yet the continent still hasn't truly recovered. How are we to prosper if we let it gather strength and run roughshod over our resources again?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Seeing as it was a matter of religion the enperatriz deemed herself occupied with more material matters, such as the threat of starvation and stagnation of their kingdom. The quiet choir however saw the true threats rising, far exceeding Ekilore’s tiny worries and took to the air.

The trio arriving in Mendia de Voix were small for their kind, their wingspans barely reaching two feet their colorschemes went in Cinder, Crimson and Maroon respectively. Taking their place upside-down in the ceiling vault over the foot of table they slowed their flight to near hovering and reverberated for all to hear.

The swarm is not limitless, while we may lay hundreds of eggs only for a few to ever transform into adulthood the swarm knows no such bounds, multiplying at the speed of a wingbeat. While the call still weakens them, the effect is lessened but we fear the swarm in [251] would not only consume the necromancers but the innocents newly enlightened by the prophet as well. The necromancers are truly vile but have yet to overrun Kaal, despite years and not days of existing. Our best flier, Hegal Argiak, will fight the Swarm. Where the larvae roams is a question of government, not our sisterhood.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

With the newly risen threat of the Swarm, the Courts were ablaze with talk, and pressure had been rising to appoint a Titan to lead all three Courts - one to whom even the Everlasting Monarchs would defer during time of crisis. Though Hiiheyeinaukhut was known to be the most likely choice for the position - a compromise the Courts of Dawn and Dusk could accept and the varied members of the Court of Noon could tolerate - their position was not secure, especially with the rising zeal for the words of the Prophet among the Maskfolk. To mollify any concerns about their own faith, the Najaabaa had elected to represent the Court of Noon at this council once more, accompanied by the Apaiza Jeh'ethdii, Thath’denauhaudei the Everlasting Monarch of Dusk, and a dozen-strong honor guard sponsored by the Court of Dawn to protect the trio on roads and coasts now considered perilous in the extreme.

Though the Khanou'-Hiithou' wore the usual deep blacks accentuated with gold that marked their position, the fashions in Jaaji'nau moved quickly, and so Hiiheyeinaukhut themselves wore fine violets and vermillions - one could be forgiven for mistaking their garb for woven wine - an impression only enhanced by the stained glass jewelry that bedecked them. Their mask, at least, was recognizable nonetheless, and moved only slightly, turning to face each speaker in turn as they nearly lounged in the chair. The Knights of the Rising Sun, with their glittering mail, waited at a remove, while the Apaiza wore more subdued cloth of red and yellow, with a deceptively simple but well-fashioned iron mask.

As odd as it may seem, I find myself in agreement with the...gentlecreatures from Rutovir and Antzua. This hardly seems suitable a question - the Swarm is the greater threat by far. Even before the words of the Prophet reached us, my people have lived without intrusion by necromantic menace for decade upon decade, despite their being upon our doorstep. It is the firm belief of the Court of Noon that we must deal with active threats before turning our attention to what is merely abhorrent.

A second voice, from the royally dressed figure, rung out with perfect inflection and careful deliberation on each word.

"We understand the situation in like manner - it is the essential nature and destiny of death, even death delayed and defiled, to decay and decline. It is the nature of the Swarm to consume, to destroy, to spread and to obliterate and to rip away that which is good from the innocent and guilty alike."
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2021-03-10 at 03:47 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

6. - Top - End - #6

The doors to the great hall swing open, allowing a draft of warm air to float into the room. Striding toward the table, neither hurried nor lethargic, her head held high, walks a woman, seemingly barely older than a child, but with a cold, steely wisdom apparent in her eyes. She wears a loose-fitting white tunic secured by a grey cloth sash and wears a thin, delicate rapier at her side. Tossing her flowing platinum hair over her shoulder, she addresses the assembly as a whole.

Inventions of the Godchosen, hear my message! I bear a warning from the Fallen and Forgotten, servants of those who came before and will come again. You, the Inventions of Kaal, are in a dire situation. As much as we hoped this day would never come, the Swarm has returned to your lands. If it is not purged immediately, you will all suffer, and the rest of the world along with you. Ignore your superstitions, steel your hearts against frightened doubts, and purge these necromancers to the backs of your brains. That threat will wait, but the Swarm waits on no man.
    Last edited by Gaius Hermicus; 2021-03-10 at 05:04 PM.

Played as New Bhule in Empire!4
    Played as the Rothuun Galactic Hegemony in Empire!5
    Played as the United Blemmyae Tribes in Empire!6

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Apazia Estela looked reproachfully at the other delegates.
    "Well, if you are all decided to throw yourselves on the blades of the force that destroyed the old empire, then I cannot stop you. I shall only pray that my own church's efforts are enough to address the cause and grant a strengthening of the call and a retreat of the swarm."

She looked at the newcomer, the envoy of the fallen and forgotten, and shook her head.

"You refer to 'superstition' in the house of the prophet? I hope you find some wisdom here, child, because you certainly didn't come with it."
    The Oyende gestured towards the door, suggesting that the fallen and forgotten representative step outside with her.
    "Did you bring the seeing stone? I have your money." She procured a banknote marked by the seal of the Banca shipping guild.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2021-03-10 at 07:18 PM.
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Riding the draft for a short moment the words of the forgotten feels as tumultuous as the currents. What does she mean that they will suffer? She too has her home in Kaal and this world. Is there more? That men would suffer more than others seems a rather odd thing to say, even for a four-limbling. But they knew of old Godchoosen and seemed willing to tech, some tact was needed.

Deciding on a course of action the trio stopped their disharmonic fluttering, letting their tones feed into each others, creating a humming audible for the other attendants.

Enlighten us sister, is the swarm not a threat to all, not just those of you able to grow a fifth leg? Do you not share our lands on this world or is there somewhere else we could go for safety? We are not just mere inventions of the Godchosen but their successors, by the words of the prophet. Any light you could shed on our new role would be a blessing.

Descending towards Estela the trio gradually lowered their thrumming to a mere whisper.

Extinguishing the cause is a worthy goal but first the flames must be put out, lest they grow into a wildfire while our backs are turned. But there are many adherents of the prophet here, perhaps there is enough eyes to look in both directions even while the Zaindariak cannot do so alone?
    Calling someone an unwise child is an interesting way to establish business relations. Would it not be better to let them glide on updrafts until the affairs are concluded?

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

"It is settled then. Apaiza Estela makes a good point, but the threat of the Swarm is more keenly felt among the faithful, I deem," said the Apaiza Nagusia. "Ready the Zaindariak to fight these firey creatures."

The Orokorra Nagusia stood and bowed. "I hope that our blades may be drawn together against the necromancers, Oyende de la Llanura, but the hands of the Zaindariak must hew together against one threat at a time." With that, he strode from the room.

"The Zaindariak will attend to the swarm. Let us move then to the heart of our discussion here today - and let us all speak with respect and dignity. I will not hesitate to remove any who profane the Prophet's words." The Apaiza Nagusia cast a reproving glance at the young girl of the Fallen and Forgotten. "The Fedea has spread farther and faster in the past handful of years than in the long century since the Call. New Apaizak must be trained and lines of communication must be established with Harana de Profeta. The Apaizak have considered the problem, and have proposed three solutions, which members of the order shall now present. I wish for your input; for many minds together may find solutions which no one mind could find alone." She motioned to the Apaizak behind her, and three of them stepped forward.

"It is clear to many of us in the Orden Santua that a centralized system of training and education is necessary to ensure the Fedea remains consistent across all Kaal," began the first. "Under our scheme, novices would come from across Kaal to be trained and educated solely in the temples of Harana de Profeta before returning to their own lands. The doctrine thus remains consistent, and we may foster a greater spirit of sisterhood between our peoples."

"While centralized doctrine is certainly important, it is equally important to determine with accuracy what is a cultural difference and what is a breach of the Tenets. One does not bring a shepherd to the city to teach him to herd sheep," responded the second. "A number of Apaizak have worked to plan a system under which novices would be trained locally by other local Apaizak. Though still subject to the authority of the Orden Santua, they would be closer to their metaphorical flocks and more responsive, and would be better able to spread the Fedea to their people."

"Issues of doctrine are critical, but not so critical as to outweigh issues of survival," interjected the third. "The most effective system is to empower the Zaindariak and the other armies of the faith. The rulers of the fededunak must give the Apaizak the authority to recruit and maintain holy militias for defense against the Swarm and mortal enemies of the Fedea, and novices must be trained in the ways of tactics and strategy."

"You have heard the mind of the Orden Santua, fededunak. What say you? I shall not prejudice your views by stating my own, yet."

Spoiler: OOC: The Options
    Show
    The Orden Santua proposes three possible systems of organization, each with their own benefits:
    • Centralized Doctrine: All priests are trained in Harana de Profeta by the Orden Santua to ensure that doctrine does not drift with distance. HC 5 bonus: +1 to resist conversions.
    • Local Tradition: All priests are trained locally and encouraged to accept local traditions so long as they don't obviously violate the Tenets. HC 5 bonus: +1 to conversions.
    • Warrior Priests: All priests are trained as battlefield commanders and required to recruit and maintain a local militia. HC 5 bonus: +1 unit cap.

Other systems may be proposed by attendees.
    Last edited by Minescratcher; 2021-03-12 at 01:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

The Hiinanikhebio' Apaizak, Jeh'ethdii, cleared their throat, stood, and punctuated their speech with flowing, vibrant motions of the hands and arms - a necessity, it might be surmised, from the inability to communicate emotions with facial expressions when preaching to a crowd.
    If the assembled might forgive me - I understand that I am not as experienced as many of the distinguished here - " A bow towards the hosts and, by extension, their suggestions “ - , but it seems to me that the training of new Apaizak is not something that this council need concern itself with, as my own education proves. My experiences in the years since my induction to the faith have taught me one thing quite well, however: though training is not a problem, funding often is. The coffers of the church are not bottomless - I would suggest a system to educate clergyfolk instead in matters of finance, alongside donations of land grants by the faithful to the Orden and her Apaizak, to serve as backing for a system of lending that the church might oversee with reasonable interest rates to serve the communities they reside in both spiritual and material manner. Apaizak can be better trusted than any secular moneylender to safeguard the dignity of their debtors and act with compassion while still providing a valuable service, after all - and outside the sacred valley, the strength of the Orden to support its clergyfolk is, at times...disturbingly limited.

Spoiler: Proposal
    Show

• Clerical Lending: All priests are empowered to act as moneylenders with land grants to better aid the faithful with dispensations of capital, lent at reasonable rates, to ensure that tasks of importance to the Orden Santua succeed. HC 5 Bonus: +1 to Buyout and Conversion rolls Treasure is spent on.

Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2021-03-12 at 06:01 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

"Although there are many uses for coin in service of the chorus, tying the Apazia to mercantile interests seems like a sure way to foster corruption in the ranks. I am inclined to agree with the first Apazia. The standardization of training in the Fedea throughout Kaal could do much good..."
    Apazia Estela looked around, reading the room before plunging onward.
    "...provided that the training includes all the teachings of Latona Gun."

Show
    Everyone changes their state religion to The Mandate
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2021-03-13 at 04:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

"Does this system of debt and lending help stave off or defeat the military threats that surround the fededunak?" asked the third Apaiza. "Surely trade is something which can grow naturally in regions freed from existential threats."

"I question whether such a central system of support is truly necessary," added the second. "Though our destiny is to succeed the old Empire, we should not mimic their faults. No system can be wholly pure, and, as the welcome Sister stated, I fear the path to abuse that land ownership lays bare."

The first Apaiza spoke up, directing the conversation towards Estela. "A standard training would certainly include all of the Prophet's teachings," she said. "What teachings of hers are there which are not held within the walls of Mendia de Voix?" Her gaze narrowed as she spoke; clearly she considered it a question she already knew the answer to.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Crimson took off to the roof again, soon followed by Cinder and Maroon.

We would be honoured to receive the teachings of the prophet from her own people, but times are changing rapidly. There will be many strange new sights to see in the coming years, not least the emerging of the ash-people to our west. With this central training would the new songs of sisters from outside the temples of Harana de Profeta still carry as strong as from those within their walls?
    Teaching from one place seems unquestionable wise but doing so without considering wisdom from afar less so.

Show
    Support Centralized Doctrine, given that the other nations has a chance to influence the tenets decided by the Apaizak.
    Last edited by Torv; 2021-03-15 at 05:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    The Oyende gestured towards the door, suggesting that the fallen and forgotten representative step outside with her.
    "Did you bring the seeing stone? I have your money." She procured a banknote marked by the seal of the Banca shipping guild.
    Cautiously, the girl steps outside the hall, producing from a pouch hanging loosely from her waist a small grey stone, polished until it shone, bright enough for the Oyende to see her reflection in it. Though its appearance was perfect ordinary at the moment, a palpable aura of mystery hung over it, producing a near-impossible-to-overcome desire to stare at one's own reflection in it. Reluctantly, she handed it over to the Oyende. Have you no payment in hard currency? My organization has seen too many civilizations collapse to put much stock in the promises of mortal kingdoms.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

With the Zaindariak pointed at the Swarm, Raba-yan had achieved what he'd set out to do at the council. But against his expectations the second topic proved of interest to him as well. The Jenauak having full control over the training of the clergy? The clergy having a say in the military? Neither option sounded particularly enticing. The ideal situation would be that the Dara-un would be counted among the faithful and then left to their own devices. At least the proposal of the condescending maskfolk carried a reward and not just risk with it. Still, Raba-yan decided to play it safe for the time being.

"I agree with the representative of Heganegiten de Gurina insofar as considering wisdom from afar goes. But I don't see the necessity for limiting the education to one location. The printing presses of the Jenauak are famous all across Kaal. Surely with ample printed copies of the tenets they cannot be disregarded and deviated from?" He paused. "And quite frankly I've been under the impression that a prolonged Dara-un presence in Harana de Profeta would be undesirable. Our 'disposition' to contract diseases has long been a concern to the peoples we associate with. I would support the second proposal for now. I'm not ready to write off the proposed moneylending system quite so readily as some others in this room, though."

Show
    Support Local Tradition. Switch support to Clerical Lending if necessary to defeat the other proposals.
    Last edited by OmnivorousOgre; 2021-03-16 at 07:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Minescratcher View Post
    "What teachings of hers are there which are not held within the walls of Mendia de Voix?" Her gaze narrowed as she spoke; clearly she considered it a question she already knew the answer to.
    Well, might as well go there.
    "Well, it has come to my attention that your Apazia are not instructed in the full litany of the Prophet's teachings on the swarm and the corruption of mortals, and do not study her Mandate. I would be happy to send some Apazia from La Illopaña to assist in the education of the young Apazia on these topics. "
    Apazia Estela smiled warmly with her mouth, but it didn't reach her eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    Have you no payment in hard currency? My organization has seen too many civilizations collapse to put much stock in the promises of mortal kingdoms.
    Isabella watched the godchosen intently. "Gold is of no more use than parchment in a famine." she replied matter-of-factly, cautiously taking the seeing stone, inspecting it disinterestedly and placing it in a small pouch tucked under her armor. She glanced towards the door of the temple. "But if you care to accompany me to the stables, I can provide you what I have in my saddlebags."

Typical barchato paranoia; focused on the loss of possessions rather than the true danger, Isabella thought to herself. She listened keenly to the call as she laid the bait for the godchosen, trying to detect any trace of magic from the apparent child.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2021-03-16 at 05:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

An inclination of the head to the assembled Jenuauk Apaizak “Armies cannot be sustained on faith alone, or so I have been. But I see no reason to tie this mechanism of lending to a central fund.” A lofty wave and gesture vaguely in the direction outwards from the temple. “Gifts of land serve as both spaces for the construction of temples of worship, and as sources from which Apaizak might support their own lending ventures. But, if you believe the present methods of Apaizak education are wanting enough as to make corruption by the prospect of fiscal responsibility a significant risk, I fear I will have to defer to your superior judgment, Sisters.” The shrug that accompanies their last statement seems almost coy, somehow.

Not for the first time, Hiiheyeinaukhut is grateful their face is hidden - their unheard laughter would certainly be seen, otherwise.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

18. - Top - End - #18

Her expression impossible to decipher, the Godchosen girl nodded slowly. Very well, she said softly, with a last glance at the arguing Kaalites within the hall.
    Last edited by Gaius Hermicus; 2021-03-17 at 04:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

It was Isabella, in the Stables, with the Sword

As they entered the stables, Isabella struck without warning, unsure what the mage was capable of. In one motion, she drew her sabre and slashed at the child. The girl ducked, averting instant decapitation and escaping with a gash on the back of her head. Before the Oyente could follow through with another attack the godchosen representative had backed away and drawn her rapier.

Isabella moved in to attack again, forcing the girl into a series of desperate parries as she looked around the room. In an attempt to gain some space, she made a riposte at Isabella's face, forcing the older woman to take a step back before climbing into a horse's stall. Before Isabella could follow, the girl had disappeared somewhere in the stables.

Isabella scanned the room, looking for other exits. There were two doors, the one they had entered and a side entrance. The trail of blood left behind by the godchosen indicated she'd be heading for the side entrance, so Isabella ran to it and shoved a large bale of hay in front of the entrance before returning to the main exit. Now things would get interesting.
    "You have no idea what you're dealing with," came a calm voice from a shadowy corner of the stable. "Put down your sword, and let's talk this through."

Isabella laughed. It was rare but not unheard of for Oyente to do so, as a sense of humor was somewhere deeper inside a person than their desires. "You're right, I may not know specifically what you are, but I know enough to tell that you are Barchato. There is no gold in the saddlebags, but you put your life in danger for the vague promise of wealth, and you are noisy with corrupting magic." Isabella paced by the door, listening not for the godchosen's words but the discord of her magical enchantments. She spoke again, softly. "But do not fear death. Surrender yourself and I will make it as quick as I can."

"Your zeal and superstition blind you," said the girl, stepping from the shadows as the sunlight glints off her drawn blade. "Such traits, in moderation, serve to keep one alive, but in excess they will only lead to your destruction. I can see that those who Invented your kind added too much suspicion, too little tolerance to your essence. Stand aside, for the sake of the world that the Archons left behind."
    “It is for the sake of the world that I will not.” Isabella replied, resuming her attack on the now visible godchosen. It was a short fight, Isabella’s superior size, strength, and reach overcoming the child’s speed and agility, and her armor adequate proof against the thin rapier blade. When it was over the godchosen’s head hit the straw of the stable floor before its body.
    With a faint whistle, white steam begins to rise from the body of the Godchosen child. As Isabella watched, the corpse began to writhe on the ground, rapidly elongating into the body of a grown woman, shriveling into an aged crone, rotting down to naught but bones, and finally crumbling into a fine grey dust. The white steam intensifies as the body shakes, forming a vague cloud above the corpse. The majority dissipates into the sunlit air, but Isabella's outstretched right arm, holding the bloodstained saber above the body, is caught directly in the cloud.

As she watches, the grey steam begins to condense on her arm, forming small grey droplets which swiftly burrow their way through the skin. A flurry of sensations floods through Isabella's mind, a surge of nostalgia as the fondest memories of her childhood force their way to the forefront of her thoughts. A comforted smile curls across her face.
    And then her arm's callouses and muscles fade. Everything below the elbow begins to shrink, the skin becoming pale and smooth. Her once-strong fingers are reduced to wiggling little digits, and the saber drops from her grasp. There is no pain, but even so a great expression of discomfort crosses Isabella's face. From her elbow down, her right arm has been transformed into the limb of a newborn infant.

20. - Top - End - #20

Shedding Light On Bloodshed

More alert than most, it was the captain of the Knights of the Rising Sun who heard the clash of blade coming from the direction that Isabella and the acolyte of the Fallen and Forgotten. Gathering two of the other Knights and sending a fourth to inform the Zaindariak, they move swiftly, the sound of shifting mail subdued, eyes invisible under their veiled helmets. By the time they arrive on the scene, however, the fight is done - but they are not too late to see Isabella, standing over the body of the woman she'd slain as it crumbles into nothing. "Ogaki! Inform the others!” the captain barks, drawing a long, heavily embellished sword. The captain's attention turns to Isabella, voice sharp-edged and bright, but clearly refined by practice in high-minded manners of speech. "You have slain a delegate within the bounds of sacred hospitality, and betrayed the sanctity of the sacred valley of the Prophet. If there is an ounce of piety in your body, you will abide and wait for trial by the Zaindariak, who you have insulted with your actions."
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2021-03-18 at 04:22 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Isabella looked at the knights, at her sword, and at her now tiny and useless right arm.
    "Acceptable."

She sat down slowly next to her sword, crossing her legs, and put on the gauntlet that had slipped off her infant arm, holding it in place with her left hand as she waited for her hosts to arrive.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2021-03-19 at 03:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

BardGuy

The Stables

The Zaindariak arrived quickly, four of them bursting into the stables with talwars unsheathed alongside the two Knights the captain had sent.

"You are Isabella? The maskfolk Ogaki tells me you have slain a guest here," said the lead Zaindari. "You will come with us before the Apaiza Nagusia." Their blades, and the sound of more booted feet in the halls, left little room for argument.

The Council

"It seems the fededunak are of two minds, then. I sense a great deal of support for our proposal of centralized learning, and that is what I find I favor as well. If you will permit them, Apaizak will accompany your delegations back and investigate any teachings which may have been preserved elsewhere." She gazed intently at Estela.

"Though the Orden Santua will not move to establish a centralized system of lending at this time, the idea clearly has much support. We shall revisit it at a later Council, if all are amenable?"

As she glanced around the hall, the sound of rushing feet and raised voices dully sounded from outside. The doors swung open and two Zaindariak entered, with Isabella between them and a number of other Zaindariak and the Knights of the Rising Sun following behind.

"Barkamena eskatzen dut, Apaiza Nagusia, baina honek – dio honek – hilketa bat egin du." As he spoke, the Zaindari gestured first to the captain, then to Isabella. "Lekukoak eta akusatuak ordezkariak direnez, pentsatu genuen orain zure aurrean jarri beharko genituzkeela... oker gaizki tratatu beharrean."

The Apaiza Nagusia took a deep breath and nodded to the Zaindari. "Eskerrik asko zure ekintza azkarragatik." She stood to address the hall.

"Our council is concluded, I believe. The Orden Santua steps forward this day in a new direction, and with holy guidance we will ever succeed and prosper. I thank you all for your attendance here today. There seems to have been some small matter between Isabella and the maskfolk needing my judgement, but, loyal Tzimeleta, cunning Dara-un, if you wish, you may depart."

She waited for any who chose to leave to exit the hall before speaking again.

"What has transpired, maskfolk?" She directed the words to the captain of the Knights.

23. - Top - End - #23

The Najaabaa and the Khanou' bowed and nodded, respectively, at the mention of revisiting the possibility of a centralized lending system at another time. The Najaabaa began to excuse themselves, until the Zaindariak arrived, with the honor guard from the Court of Dawn in tow, and quickly sat down again. What trouble had the Sunrise Sovereign's neglect gotten the Courts into now...

Shedding Light On Bloodshed
    The captain's body was full of tension, straight and unbending as they spoke - but their words were without hesitation or uncertainty, and seemingly completely unhindered by the aventail that hid their face as they recounted the events.

"I heard sounds of fighting, Apaiza, and dispatched Syr Wattan to gather the Zaindariak and inform them of my intent. We quickly arrived at the stables, and upon witnessing the scene, observed the Oyende de la Llanura standing, saber drawn, over the corpse of the representative of the Fallen and Forgotten - which then aged in unnatural fashion until it was as dust, and an esoteric mist rose from it to wrap around the Oyende, leaving her arm in such fashion as you see now. Though I would not deign to call myself scholar, I recognize a curse when I see it, and I must assume this is a punishment for the betrayal of sacred hospitality so displayed."
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Though Isabella looked positively blasé about her situation, Apazia Estela was clearly distraught. A trial for an oyende hunting a mage? That simply wasn't done.

"Isabella, what happened between you and the godchosen representative?" She asked loudly, voice trembling and unsure of Jenuak court protocol.

Isabella spoke nonchalantly, as though describing a trip to the market. "I detected that the individual claiming to be the representative of the Fallen and Forgotten was in reality a powerful sorcerer infiltrating the council in the guise of a child. I lured her out of the sacred temple and to an isolated location in the stables, and eliminated the threat. As the masked captain states, this-" she took the gauntlet off her infantified arm and held it up- "was a parting curse from the sorceress."

She then bowed before the Zaindiri and asked "Why have I been arrested? It is the right and responsibility of the Oyende to protect the followers of the prophet from sorcery, which I have done, and I eliminated the witch outside of the holy ground of the council to prevent collateral damage or a blood stain inside these sacred walls."
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2021-03-22 at 03:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

"It may be so, Oyende, and yet one may overstep one's bounds in fulfilling such responsibility. It is clear to me that we have not sufficient information to judge this deed; therefore, in a normal case, you would simply be required to find sufficient compurgators to back your oath. However, this is clearly impractical to accomplish in a reasonable amount of time; we are far from your homeland, and I doubt that they could spare three hundred men and women simply to swear your innocence. Fortunately, there is a simple test we may administer to divine the truth: mokadu sakratua. If the Chorus deems you to have acted unrighteously, then bread such as we have sanctified will not be able to pass your lips."

Karlota turned to the three Apaizak. "Prestatu mokadu sakratua oyendearentzat. We will go into the courtyard and wait."

They bowed and left the hall, followed by the Zaindariak, who led Isabella and the others through a series of hallways into a small circular garden overlooking the mountainside. The sun shined brightly above, but a cold breeze stripped it of its typical warmth.

A few minutes later, the three Apaizak emerged into the outdoors bearing a platter of barley bread. One laid her hands across the bread and recited a long prayer in the Jenauak language:
    "Koru, erregutzen dizut, honek akusatua izan den hilketa eta ostalaritza haustea delitua egin badu, edo baiezkoa eman edo aholkua eman badio, orduan ez diozu utzi ogi hori jaten, baizik eta bere gantxoan gelditu eta eztarria; utzi dezala dardarka hosto itxurako hosto bat bezala eta ez dezala atsedenik odolez botatzen duen arte, aipatutako krimenaren moduko zerbait egin badu.

Emakumea, konbokatzen zaitut, orduko zeruetatik irteten den Koru eta Deia Santuaren bidez, etortzeak suntsitzetik salbatu gaitu, krimen honetan akatsen bat izanez gero, eztarria itxi egingo dela eta ogi hau ez dela zure ezpainak pasatuko baina, horren ordez, astindu, konbultsio eta botaka egingo duzu.
    "

When she finished, the Apaiza holding the bread extended it to Isabella. "You may eat. For your sake, I hope you swallow without harm."

Isabella bit down on the bread and chewed, feeling the weight of dozens of eyes on her. She swallowed...

...and coughed, spraying bits of partially-chewed bread across the grass. The Apaizak recoiled in disgust.

"As clear a sign as any," the Apaiza Nagusia intoned. "The Chorus does not condone your killing of the delegate under the protection of the Orden Santua, and I am afraid the penalty for guest-murder is death. The Zaindariak will hold you until a merciful execution can be arranged." At a sign from Karlota, the Zaindariak grabbed Isabella by the arms and dragged her back into the temple.

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention, maskfolk. Your hearing is truly legendary." If Karlota was shaken by the events, she did not show it.

As the guards entered the temple, Apazia Estela followed them, uselessly accosting the guards. Isabella shouted out to her in Illopañan, interrupting the diatribe.

"<If you cause a distraction, I can leave the seeing stone and the payment for you along the path.>"

Estela was flabbergasted. "<What do you mean? Why would you leave them for me? We're not going to let them execute you for choking on some bread!>"

"<The sentence was passed down by the holy order of the prophet.>"

"<Did you act counter to your training in hunting the Barchato?>"

"<...No.>"

“<Then it must have been some sort of trickery to make you choke!>”

As one of the soldiers opened the main gate to head towards the mountain path to the barracks, Isabella turned her head, her eyes briefly meeting Estela’s. “Apazia Estela, I did not detect any magic infusing the bread.”

Slapping her thighs in frustration, Estela followed them through the gate. “<That doesn’t matter! They wouldn’t need magic to poison you and make you choke! Did you or did you not take an oath to serve the prophet and follow her mandate?>”

“<I did.>”
    Isabella replied, knowing well what was coming.

“<Then as an Apazia of Banca Cathedral, I compel you by will of the Prophet to escape from these idiots and fulfill your oath by returning the dangerous artifact in your possession to the Redención in person!>”

The sharpness of her tone caused the soldiers to turn around. One of them told Estela kindly but firmly not to follow them down the mountain path that they were now starting on, insisting that it was simply too dangerous for them to be able to protect a woman of her station. Receiving the message, Estela stopped, and observed only a nod from the Oyende to indicate that she understood her orders.

Two hours later, a small pyre made from juniper branches was found near the mountain path, cremating the remains of two Jenuak soldiers. There was no sign of Isabella.