New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default OOTA: Polearm Fighter Player wants to mount Dawnbringer on a spearshaft for Reach.

What do y'all think about the martial implementation of "can I put it on a stick".
    How would you treat someone trying to turn a Sun Blade into a Sun Spear with some scotch tape? What process would be required to make it believable?
    @Patt

Spoiler: Bleep bloop!
    Show
    "People are ideas." :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling-wordpress-com

T_P_T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTA: Polearm Fighter Player wants to mount Dawnbringer on a spearshaft for Reac

I feel the weapon would be extremely unbalanced, not as in "it breaks the game", but as in "the weight distribution is completely off making it very unwieldy". Dunno, if I felt generous I would allow it but with disadvantage to use.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTA: Polearm Fighter Player wants to mount Dawnbringer on a spearshaft for Reac

Yeah! I mean sword-spears are a thing and there are polearms that are functionally swords on sticks but

with magic items is that reliable? Is it EVER reliable to use a polearm that has a jerry-rigged mount near the weapon's point?
    Idk where I would even research this besides clicking through wikipedia articles and searching for survival-man youtube videos about lashing things onto sticks.
    It has the Light Property tho so
    but like it's a lightsaber

Do I have to research polearm lightsabers now?
    @Patt

Show
    "People are ideas." :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Dawnbringer would tolerate having a stick shoved up her hilt.

If it was possible, we're talking about modifying a legendary item, legendary items have legendary requirements. Just any zurkhwood stick wouldn't do, they would need to use a branch that not only grew in the sun, but probably one that's been bleached white by sunlight. Plus they would need to find a good-aligned weaponsmith who's received a sun god's blessing to do the work, and it would need to be done in the far north during the season when there's 24-hour sunlight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NOW WE'RE TALKING! Some classic ingredient hunting

Though they are headed up to the surface ASAP. If they dont' do it for a week they can be up on the surface right next to the High Forest. Maybe some water from the Hartblood river, eh? Lashings from a tree that tastes water from a similar ruin that Dawnbringer was plucked from. We all know what's upstream of that. BTW by my assumptions it's kind of "cleopatra/sphinx/moonlanding" level crazy that it could easily have been as much time since Brysis Khaem's entombment in the air and Karsefall as karsfall is to 14XXDR.

Crazy how long that empire lasted.

Edit: My /t/g thread is popping with some nice feedback tho.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PattThe; 2021-01-19 at 10:18 AM.
    @Patt

Show

T_P_T

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

It's up to you as the DM to decide to allow it or not.

In terms of practicality, I think it could be done.

Dawnbringer is a Sunsword so it has no physical blade. This makes the issues with weapon balance a lot less of an issue since you aren't weilding a heavy long sword at the end of a pole - it is just a sword hilt.

Connecting the sword hilt to a stick in a removable fashion should be possible depending on what hoops the DM wants to make the player jump through.

However, based on the personality listed in the text for the sword, I think it would refuse an arrangement like this one.

"Personality. Forged by ancient sun worshipers, Dawnbringer is meant to brjng light into darkness and to fight creatures of darkness. It is kind and compassionate to those in need. but fierce and destructive to its enemies.
    Long years lost in darkness have made Dawnbringer frightened of both the dark and abandonment. lt prefers that its blade always be present and shedding light in areas of darkness, and it strongly resists being parted from its wielder for any length of time."

I would tend to interpret this to mean that the sword would strongly prefer to be held and being attached to a stick and not in physical contact with its wielder would not be sufficient.

So from a practical perspective, I would say it would be possible to attach a handle extension to a sunblade so it could be used as a glaive (using two hands and the versatile property of a longsword).

However, in this case, I think Dawnbringer, as a sentient weapon would refuse this arrangement and if forced to do so would seek someone else who would wield her properly.

P.S. The DM could also homebrew it, if they want to allow it, by giving Dawnbringer the ability to change their form (perhaps over a period of time) to take the shape of a variety of bladed weapons including a glaive. This would mesh with its purpose to defeat darkness and Dawnbringer's desire to aid their wielder.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2021-01-19 at 10:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post

In terms of practicality, I think it could be done.

Dawnbringer is a Sunsword so it has no physical blade. This makes the issues with weapon balance a lot less of an issue since you aren't weilding a heavy long sword at the end of a pole - it is just a sword hilt.

Connecting the sword hilt to a stick in a removable fashion should be possible depending on what hoops the DM wants to make the player jump through.

However, based on the personality listed in the text for the sword, I think it would refuse an arrangement like this one.

"Personality. Forged by ancient sun worshipers, Dawnbringer is meant to brjng light into darkness and to fight creatures of darkness. It is kind and compassionate to those in need. but fierce and destructive to its enemies.
    Long years lost in darkness have made Dawnbringer frightened of both the dark and abandonment. lt prefers that its blade always be present and shedding light in areas of darkness, and it strongly resists being parted from its wielder for any length of time."

I would tend to interpret this to mean that the sword would strongly prefer to be held and being attached to a stick and not in physical contact with its wielder would not be sufficient.

So from a practical perspective, I would say it would be possible to attach a handle extension to a sunblade so it could be used as a glaive (using two hands and the versatile property of a longsword).

However, in this case, I think Dawnbringer, as a sentient weapon would refuse this arrangement and if forced to do so would seek someone else who would wield her properly.

P.S. The DM could also homebrew it, if they want to allow it, by giving Dawnbringer the ability to change their form (perhaps over a period of time) to take the shape of a variety of bladed weapons including a glaive. This would mesh with its purpose to defeat darkness and Dawnbringer's desire to aid their wielder.
    In a typical game I would certainly lean on the personality as a non-negotiating factor. Hell, we have Cha Save Personality conflicts with sentient items for a reason. But, we're playing beneath the Delimbyr vale (I did some mistakes reading maps and it has honestly been amazing to be on the opposite side of Auramycos with a Tier II party. I think that once they get on the surface, they may have some opportunities to get some marvelous components to do this.
    They can also freely talk with Dawnbringer, an Artificer just joined the party, the ruins of Karse are (debateably) less than 150 miles away, and the high forest is magic as ****. Depending on what route they take to Loudwater or Shining Falls or otherwise, some dope **** might exist where the party can really re-enchant a legendary item or HILARIOUSLY fail and cause the fragile ego of Dawnbringer to shatter further.

You imagine being NG trapped with a NE being. In the darkness. Underground. As a sun blade XD.
    @Patt

Show

T_P_T

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Taking the sword's personality/desires out of the equation and ignoring the magic incantations etc, a skilled weaponsmith could certainly create a fine glaive/pike from a light sword.

Perhaps it could be modeled after a Naginata or Yari.

As for playing up the sword's wishes and magic, I'd think the sword could be sweet-talked into it if the PC could do a good job of flattering the sword and convincing it that this would result in even greater capability / effectiveness and therefor epic accomplishments.

Then I'd be sure to really play up the need to find the SKILLED craftsmen and practitioners of magic to pull this off, and include some requirement for extra special materials (as others have suggested) - probably side quest level stuff.

I'd definitely encourage the idea, but require work to accomplish.

9. - Top - End - #9

Kobold

Got pole? Got sword? Got wizard casting fabricate? Done.

Next question?

The point about the center of gravity being so far away is good. I wouldn't rule disadvantage because the wiz can shave and shape, and its a piercing weapon now, not a sla/blu one.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    Got pole? Got sword? Got wizard casting fabricate? Done.

Next question?

The point about the center of gravity being so far away is good. I wouldn't rule disadvantage because the wiz can shave and shape, and its a piercing weapon now, not a sla/blu one.
    No fabricate, but someone's got a one-a-day charge of Creation so they could blueprint it XD
    @Patt

Show

T_P_T

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

What's the argument to turn the sword into a polearm? "It's not my fighting style, so the ancient, legendary sapient weapon should be modified to fit me, who will maybe use it for decades at best, otherwise I'm inconvenienced and that's bad"?

Quote Originally Posted by PattThe View Post
    You imagine being NG trapped with a NE being. In the darkness. Underground. As a sun blade XD.
    As a Sun Blade, you're not trapped with a NE being, they're trapped with you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

[QUOTE=Unoriginal;24890900As a Sun Blade, you're not trapped with a NE being, they're trapped with you.[/QUOTE]
    When you can't emit your beam while unattuned I thin it's debatable XD still funny.
    @Patt

Show

T_P_T

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

When you can't emit your beam while unattuned I thin it's debatable XD still funny.
    Mmmh, does the Sentient Magic Item needs to be attuned to have a Conflict with the one carrying them?

If the answer is no, this would turn into a reverse One Ring situation where Dawnbringer would try to get in the hands of the good guys.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

In a typical game I would certainly lean on the personality as a non-negotiating factor. Hell, we have Cha Save Personality conflicts with sentient items for a reason. But, we're playing beneath the Delimbyr vale (I did some mistakes reading maps and it has honestly been amazing to be on the opposite side of Auramycos with a Tier II party. I think that once they get on the surface, they may have some opportunities to get some marvelous components to do this.
    They can also freely talk with Dawnbringer, an Artificer just joined the party, the ruins of Karse are (debateably) less than 150 miles away, and the high forest is magic as ****. Depending on what route they take to Loudwater or Shining Falls or otherwise, some dope **** might exist where the party can really re-enchant a legendary item or HILARIOUSLY fail and cause the fragile ego of Dawnbringer to shatter further.

"Weapon (Longsword),Legendary (requires atunement by a creature of non-evil alignment)"

If a NE character has Dawnbringer then all he has is a hilt unless the DM has changed it otherwise.

The weapon requires attunement to a non-evil character to function. It isn't a regular magical blade where the blade exists without attuning the weapon. In this case it requires a bonus action to create the blade and there is no way (in my opinion) that Dawnbringer would ever work for any evil character. So if the character is NE then all he has is an inert sword hilt. I'm not even sure that Dawnbringer can communicate with a creature holding the hilt unless attuned.

DMG
    "Some magic items require a creature to form a bond with them before their magical properties can be used."
    "Without becoming attuned to an item that requires attunement, a creature gains only its non magical benefits, unless its description states otherwise."

Dawnbringer's blade itself is magical so without attuning the weapon - the character has nothing and unless the DM changes the weapon, a NE character can't attune to Dawnbringer so although a NE character might carry the sword hilt around the NG sword would never have to serve them.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2021-01-19 at 12:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

my player who got dawnbringer is a sword/shield user so I didn't have this particular problem. I have honestly mostly stopped RPing the talking sword because neither me or the player got much fun out of it.

But it's already multiple weapons in one, it's a combo longsword/rapier/short sword. I see no reason why the magic lightsaber blade couldn't take a glaive or halberd's head shape. Now you'd only need a suitable pole, and it sounds like your players are close to a jungle with some other ancient ruins? Perfect!
    Keep the forums alive, for $2 a month. In the arms of an angel....

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    my player who got dawnbringer is a sword/shield user so I didn't have this particular problem. I have honestly mostly stopped RPing the talking sword because neither me or the player got much fun out of it.

But it's already multiple weapons in one, it's a combo longsword/rapier/short sword. I see no reason why the magic lightsaber blade couldn't take a glaive or halberd's head shape. Now you'd only need a suitable pole, and it sounds like your players are close to a jungle with some other ancient ruins? Perfect!
    Dawnbringer doesn't have to be fun.
    They can be a massive weight on a party if your players like dealing with consequences in the underdark. Go full on yandere waifu and give her saves vs indefinite madness.

Especially when she gets to the surface and learns that their god (Anaumator, by all predictions) has been the target of multiple heresies over hundreds of years after your society fell, halfway between now and your creation.
    @Patt

Show

T_P_T

17. - Top - End - #17

Dawnbringer doesn't have to be fun.
    They can be a massive weight on a party if your players like dealing with consequences in the underdark. Go full on yandere waifu and give her saves vs indefinite madness.

Especially when she gets to the surface and learns that their god (Anaumator, by all predictions) has been the target of multiple heresies over hundreds of years after your society fell, halfway between now and your creation.
    yeah there's been a few interesting moments of the blade having an "old testament" approach to anything even resembling evil but the paladin is a follower of Elistraee, who's the god of second chances. They've at least come to an understanding of sorts about "demons shall be smote on sight"
    But it's a hassle to remember to have the sword start chirping frequently and there's far more interesting sources of conflict and madness. Personal tastes and all that.

Plus, it's very fun having the dual pros and cons of a sunlight source in the underdark. Up close, it's phenomenal vs most underdark residents. But in any larger more open space, that light source is a beacon for all sorts of trouble, some of which has ranged attacks striking from the darkness.
    Keep the forums alive, for $2 a month. In the arms of an angel....

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I'm running this adventure currently and ran into a similar situation, where there's nobody in the party who would want to use it. They found it at a fairly low level, and here's how I handled it from the start:

Spoiler
    Show
    The webrunner goblins told them to go into the tomb and bring them back the shiniest thing they find as payment for showing them through the web paths. I played the goblins as Yuk Yuk being smaller but the smarter of the two, and Spiderbait being bigger and stronger but really dumb. They actually gave the legendary sword to the goblins.

Going off of how the older editions handle intelligent items, the stronger the item the higher the chance that the weapon wields a weak owner, instead of the other way around. The party later decided to go take it back, realizing how valuable it is, only to discover that the sword had overpowered and taken over Spiderbait. It takes a good-aligned character to attune to it, but the sword reshaped him into a suitable wielder for the greater good.

They found Yuk Yuk in the webs and he told them the sword stole his brother and went east (toward the Darklake). I made him a celestial warlock with only healing and fire/light spells and a legendary action, and he talks in the sword's female voice. They saw the sword's light across the lake and were able to track him down, they did a fun side quest to help him kill some demons. I plan to have him show up later in the adventure to help them out against the more powerful demons.

I made him too strong for them to fight when they found him at around 7th level, but not as strong as they'll be by the end of the adventure. He's 16 HD with mostly Warlock 12 features (mostly passive invocations), and can take one legendary action per turn. Legendary action choices are using 2d6 of his 12d6 pool of healing light, or fire a beam of radiance from a wall of light he's cast, or luminous wings appear and carry him 60 ft. without provoking opportunity attacks which is used extremely sparingly, so he almost never uses his legendary action. He mostly makes two attacks due to thirsting blade, or uses green flame blade or sacred flame, reserving spell slots for saving his allies over harming enemies. His stats are a bit low, only Cha 14, he's basically designed more to support the party than steal the show.

All his levels/power comes from the sword, if he loses it he'll basically turn into Gollum and try to get it back.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Our DM just had Dawnbringer reshape the handle to fit the wielders favoured weapon. In our case, it was a glaive, if I remember correctly.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    I'm running this adventure currently and ran into a similar situation, where there's nobody in the party who would want to use it. They found it at a fairly low level, and here's how I handled it from the start:

Spoiler
    Show
    The webrunner goblins told them to go into the tomb and bring them back the shiniest thing they find as payment for showing them through the web paths. I played the goblins as Yuk Yuk being smaller but the smarter of the two, and Spiderbait being bigger and stronger but really dumb. They actually gave the legendary sword to the goblins.

Going off of how the older editions handle intelligent items, the stronger the item the higher the chance that the weapon wields a weak owner, instead of the other way around. The party later decided to go take it back, realizing how valuable it is, only to discover that the sword had overpowered and taken over Spiderbait. It takes a good-aligned character to attune to it, but the sword reshaped him into a suitable wielder for the greater good.

They found Yuk Yuk in the webs and he told them the sword stole his brother and went east (toward the Darklake). I made him a celestial warlock with only healing and fire/light spells and a legendary action, and he talks in the sword's female voice. They saw the sword's light across the lake and were able to track him down, they did a fun side quest to help him kill some demons. I plan to have him show up later in the adventure to help them out against the more powerful demons.

I made him too strong for them to fight when they found him at around 7th level, but not as strong as they'll be by the end of the adventure. He's 16 HD with mostly Warlock 12 features (mostly passive invocations), and can take one legendary action per turn. Legendary action choices are using 2d6 of his 12d6 pool of healing light, or fire a beam of radiance from a wall of light he's cast, or luminous wings appear and carry him 60 ft. without provoking opportunity attacks which is used extremely sparingly, so he almost never uses his legendary action. He mostly makes two attacks due to thirsting blade, or uses green flame blade or sacred flame, reserving spell slots for saving his allies over harming enemies. His stats are a bit low, only Cha 14, he's basically designed more to support the party than steal the show.

All his levels/power comes from the sword, if he loses it he'll basically turn into Gollum and try to get it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rara1212 View Post
    Our DM just had Dawnbringer reshape the handle to fit the wielders favoured weapon. In our case, it was a glaive, if I remember correctly.
    These two. niiice.. <o< good thread.
    @Patt

Show

T_P_T

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Check the thread I linked before it dies. There is some amazing stuff there rn.
    Honestly.
    @Patt

Show

T_P_T

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

What do y'all think about the martial implementation of "can I put it on a stick".
    How would you treat someone trying to turn a Sun Blade into a Sun Spear with some scotch tape? What process would be required to make it believable?
    Realistically, you can attach a sword blade to a shaft (various IRL polearms being almost just that). In reality, it would probably mean taking the blade off the handle, and that gets into the D&D-esque/Ship of Theseus question about modifying magic items (and artifacts). 5e rules are relatively silent on the matter.

Or you could use some kind of fabricate magic or fancifully-intricate-for-medieval-tech brackets and wiring to just join the whole thing, otherwise unmodified, to a shaft. That would also work, but realistically should have at least a little penalty (anything just holding onto the thing has a practical limit/some give/something*). Given that 5e isn't big on little situational -1s or the like, and we're already talking about a system which has you using pikes out of formation and 3000+ years of armor technology all alongside each other and all sorts of other unrealistic fantasy conceits, I don't find an arbitrary enforcement of realism to be particularly necessary. Really more of a concern is...
    *There's a reason that bayonets are specifically crafted devices, rather than rifles just having a mounting bracket into which you just slip any old knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    Connecting the sword hilt to a stick in a removable fashion should be possible depending on what hoops the DM wants to make the player jump through...
    I mean, there it is in a nutshell.
    For some people, one of the major limitations of Polearm Master is that there are magic weapons you won't get to use and that's part of the opportunity cost of an otherwise near-always-best selection and this idea is trying to circumvent one of this editions primary checks and balances between martial options. To others, martials really don't need limits and lets not punish players for being creative and such. Both are of course right.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-01-21 at 09:33 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Realistically, you can attack a sword blade to a shaft (various IRL polearms being almost just that). In reality, it would probably mean taking the blade off the handle, and that gets into the D&D-esque/Ship of Theseus question about modifying magic items (and artifacts). 5e rules are relatively silent on the matter.

Or you could use some kind of fabricate magic or fancifully-intricate-for-medieval-tech brackets and wiring to just join the whole thing, otherwise unmodified, to a shaft. That would also work, but realistically should have at least a little penalty (anything just holding onto the thing has a practical limit/some give/something*). Given that 5e isn't big on little situational -1s or the like, and we're already talking about a system which has you using pikes out of formation and 3000+ years of armor technology all alongside each other and all sorts of other unrealistic fantasy conceits, I don't find an arbitrary enforcement of realism to be particularly necessary. Really more of a concern is...
    *There's a reason that bayonets are specifically crafter devices, rather than rifles just having a mounting bracket into which you just slip any old knife.

I mean, there is is in a nutshell.
    For some people, one of the major limitations of Polearm Master is that there are magic weapons you won't get to use and that's part of the opportunity cost of an otherwise near-always-best selection and this idea is trying to circumvent one of this editions primary checks and balances between martial options. To others, martials really don't need limits and lets not punish players for being creative and such. Both are of course right.
    There is no blade, it is a lightsaber.
    Confirmation: The magic item is a hilt of a sword.
    Last edited by PattThe; 2021-01-19 at 03:49 PM.
    @Patt

Show

T_P_T

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

There is no blade, it is a lightsaber.
    Confirmation: The magic item is a hilt of a sword.
    Okay. I was extrapolating the question beyond the initial scope of the specified magic sword. This just makes the specific instance even more DM-gated than it otherwise would be.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Okay. I was extrapolating the question beyond the initial scope of the specified magic sword. This just makes the specific instance even more DM-gated than it otherwise would be.
    Feel free to use this thread for generic weapon-mount discussion of course. Just clarifying the item for the thread.
    @Patt

Show

T_P_T

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

I'm kind of with the person up thread that said the sword would likely find the whole idea very insulting.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    I'm kind of with the person up thread that said the sword would likely find the whole idea very insulting.
    Perhaps she'd be fine with it if the fighter walks around with 10' stick up his ass?
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Perhaps she'd be fine with it if the fighter walks around with 10' stick up his ass?

Odd -- normally the RP would suggest it's the wizard or paladin who's got a stick up their ass...!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sword on a stick: improvised weapon for d4 damage, versatile two-handed for d6, reach. If you roll a 1 on an attack, make an INT save to determine how well you tied it onto the stick.

Dawnbringer on a stick: angry hilt on a stick

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you want to use your special snowflake feat for meme optimization, you have to accept you're not finding good magic weapons.

Would never allow.
    Last edited by DarknessEternal; 2021-01-21 at 01:14 AM.