New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Default Questions about LA (phantom template)

Ok, I like to think I mostly understand how LA works, but a few clarifying questions.

In templates that improve hit die, are the HD considered to be levels, then the LA on top, or just the LA?

Then my main question, I am familiar with LA: from my understanding it mainly means uncalculated, it wasn't intended for characters, so making an LA was pointless, but what about LA:same as base creature, is this the same as LA0? similar to LA-? I ibring this up in the context of the phantom template, MM5 I think.
    -thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Questions about LA (phantom template)

Quote Originally Posted by Yak folklore View Post
    Ok, I like to think I mostly understand how LA works, but a few clarifying questions.

In templates that improve hit die, are the HD considered to be levels, then the LA on top, or just the LA?

Then my main question, I am familiar with LA: from my understanding it mainly means uncalculated, it wasn't intended for characters, so making an LA was pointless, but what about LA:same as base creature, is this the same as LA0? similar to LA-? I ibring this up in the context of the phantom template, MM5 I think.
    -thanks
    What do you mean by improve hit die? Like when an undead template says improve all hit die to D12s? That just means change whatever die was rolled for HP to that number. Some might say increase by one step (d4 to d6, d6 to d8, d8 to d10, d10 to d12). HD are levels. A 20th level wizard has 20 HD. Under normal circumstances these are all D4s. LA doesn't have anything to do with this. If said wizard was a race with +4 LA he would still have 20d4 hit die and +4 LA making him ECL 24. Idk if this answers your first bit, its very confusing.

Main question time. LA - meant it wasnt meant to be playable. If LA wasn't mentioned at all we have no idea what it means, ask a DM or check for an errata. If a template says LA = same as base creature, then its the same as base creature. So a +4 LA creature would still only have +4 LA. I guess this is the same as a +0 LA in every case I can think of at least. But no, thats not the same as a LA - unless the base creature was LA - in which case the template doesnt change that.