New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deleted

1. - Top - End - #1

Default deleted

deleted123
    Last edited by TheShapechanger; 2021-01-20 at 06:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Maximizing cheese withMinor Change Shape and Assume Supernatural Ability.

Now that I think about it, I don't think this works at all. Minor Change Shape doesn't cause you to turn into another creature; it just changes your body so you look like a creature. Since you aren't actually turning into anything, you can't use Assume Supernatural Ability.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Maximizing cheese withMinor Change Shape and Assume Supernatural Ability.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Now that I think about it, I don't think this works at all. Minor Change Shape doesn't cause you to turn into another creature; it just changes your body so you look like a creature. Since you aren't actually turning into anything, you can't use Assume Supernatural Ability.
    By that logic, Racial Emulation flat-out doesn't work.

When you use your minor change shape ability to assume the form of a humanoid creature, you can also emulate any of that humanoid's subtypes.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheShapechanger View Post
    Hi InvisibleBison. Nice to meet you.

This is a quote from the other thread.

And p.24 of Rules Compendium groups A Thousand Faces in the same category as polymorph and shapechange.

Two separate sources both say you are assuming the form of the creature when you use MCS which is why I got so excited about this. Can't get more solid than two different splat books, especially one that says it precedes all other book, that says you are turning into the creature when you use MCS.
    The problem is still that you only qualify for the "Prerequisite:", but not for the actual "Benefit:" of the feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASA - Benefit:
    You learn to use a single supernatural ability of another kind of creature while assuming its form through a polymorph self spell or a similar effect.
    Polymorph Self (3.0) was converted into Polymorph (3.5). Thus you need either "polymorph or a similar spell" effect. And similar spell means spells that refer to Polymorph in their rule text and doesn't mean "Changing Form"-abilities overall.

And Troacctid added this nice argument in one of the other threads:
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    There's like a zillion feats that you can meet the prerequisites for while still being incapable of receiving any benefit. Every metamagic feat, for example.
    As such, MCS only helps you to pick the feat, but not to use it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I think its unreasonable to view "polymorph self" in that sentence as anything other than just an example of something that changes forms magically.
    Hi there. Just chiming in to say it is absolutely not UNreasonable to read it as requiring something from the polymorph school of effects. It is also not UNreasonable to read that it does work. Whether or not Minor Change Shape is similar to Polymorph Self is up to DM fiat; on top of that, it's 3.0, so it requires an update anyway. It could be updated to keep the ambiguity, or eliminate it one way or the other by your DM. I think it's definitely worth discussing, but it's disingenuous to suggest (to readers) that this is something you can just slap down on any table without asking for DM permission/a favorable ruling beforehand.
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi InvisibleBison. Nice to meet you.

This is a quote from the other thread.

And p.24 of Rules Compendium groups A Thousand Faces in the same category as polymorph and shapechange.
    1) The fact that there's a feat that doesn't work if MCS works a certain way doesn't really matter. There are lots of rules in 3.5 that don't work; one more doesn't change anything.

2) The argument about the Rules Compendium is flawed in many ways. First of all, while A Thousand Faces is mentioned in the same section as polymorph, this doesn't mean that there's any sort of connection between the mechanics of the two abilities. Secondly, the section that they're mentioned in is devoted to abilities that "allow a creature to change its form or appearance" (emphasis mine), so an ability appearing in that section is not proof that it allows for changes of form. Finally, A Thousand Faces is not the same thing as Minor Change Shape, so even if A Thousand Faces lets you change your form that doesn't mean that Minor Change Shape does as well.

Two separate sources both say you are assuming the form of the creature
    This is just straight-up wrong. At best, there are two sources that in your opinion support the idea that MCS lets you assume the form of a creature. A source says what it says, not what we interpret it to say. The fact that so many people don't seem to notice that distinction, even while they claim to be arguing about "RAW", befuddles me to no end.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

7. - Top - End - #7

Default Re: Maximizing cheese with Minor Change Shape and Assume Supernatural Ability.

So what constitutes a body type?
    Does a Human and a Choker have the same body type?
    Does a Human and a Zodar have the same body type?
    Does a Balor, Solar, and Mephit have the same body types?
    Does a Human and a Skeleton have the same body type?
    If we go by humans, fat, thin, female, male, etc. are all considered different body types. But Disguise Self specifically says being fat or thin are not different body types so this is wrong. And changelings change genders regularly.

Furthermore Races of Eberron has a picture of a changeling mixing and matching parts of races.

So I'd define a "body type" as living (so no undead), and same basic bone structure. Yak Folk's legs bend differently than normal humans so I'd say they have a different body type, and Lizardfolks too since they have a tail.

What are some ways to change your body type?
    From what I can see, a changeling retains her MCS ability after using Alter Self or Polymorph.

MCS is not beholden to the changeling's skin or anything afaict.
    If you have Alter Self and Polymorph... do you need another way?

Minor Change Shape into a Zodar and use Wish
    You need to be able to turn into a humanoid construct first. I don't think skeletons, golems, and humans have the same "body type". Body shape maybe but not type.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    1) The fact that there's a feat that doesn't work if MCS works a certain way doesn't really matter. There are lots of rules in 3.5 that don't work; one more doesn't change anything.
    RoE is the Primary Source Book of Changelings. So whatever it says goes.
    Last edited by magicalmagicman; 2021-01-19 at 06:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Maximizing cheese with Minor Change Shape and Assume Supernatural Ability.

Hi Doctor Despair

I read your arguments in the other threads and I found them very unconvincing as well.

Rules Compendium says Polymorph and all the other forming changing effects are the same effect called "Changing Forms". So it is unreasonable to say that spells and abilities that changes ones form are not similar effects since they're actually the same effect. I also noticed you like to ignore the other parts of ASA's description.

There are two very long threads with this discussion, and I don't want this to turn into a third very long thread with the same discussion, so I'd like it if we kept this discussion over those two threads and keep this thread about optimizing MCS with ASA and Metamorphic Transfer.

Thanks.
    I mean, you're welcome to think they're unconvincing; I am not trying to convince you. The facts are the facts. 3.5 is a permissive system. You can do something if the rules say you can do it; if the rules are silent, you cannot do it. With that said, the rules are ambiguous in whether or not you can use ASA with Minor Shape Change. It's not up to me to convince anyone that it doesn't work; it doesn't work by default. It's up to the user to convince people that it works. As far as I'm concerned, there has not been definitive proof that it works yet, just supporting evidence.

With that said, this is still worth discussing. Please note: I am not saying that it does not work. I'm saying it works if the DM says it works, or if the DM updates the feat favorable, but that it may not work at all tables, as a DM would not be incorrect in reading the RAW to require a polymorph spell or something based off of the polymorph spell specifically with regard to ASA.

I do believe it would explicitly work with Metamorphic Transfer, but ASA is not Metamorphic Transfer. A Changeling can access Metamorphic Transfer as soon as level 3 (Ardent + Practiced Manifester), so any discussion on this usage of debatable RAW applies directly to the usage of Metamorphic Transfer, too, which is also productive.

Quote Originally Posted by magicalmagicman View Post
    If we go by humans, fat, thin, female, male, etc. are all considered different body types. But Disguise Self specifically says being fat or thin are not different body types so this is wrong. And changelings change genders regularly.

Furthermore Races of Eberron has a picture of a changeling mixing and matching parts of races.

So I'd define a "body type" as living (so no undead), and same basic bone structure. Yak Folk's legs bend differently than normal humans so I'd say they have a different body type, and Lizardfolks too since they have a tail.
    I wouldn't even go that far. Size category, appendages (presence/absence of wings, horns, tails, etc), and bipedal/quadrapedal/etc. I believe Changelings are intended to be able to emulate creatures other than humanoids, which is notable to this discussion, as Racial Emulation specifies that it only applies when you emulate humanoids. Why specify if that's all you can do anyway?

If you have Alter Self and Polymorph... do you need another way?

Wildshape, shapechange, any other sort of shape-changing magic... Wildshape is probably the most notable, as it's longer duration and requires no spellslots. The rules are silent on what would happen if wildshape ran out while you were using a Changelings ability to emulate a creature with a different body type, so that's up to DM fiat. RAI you'd probably revert to Changeling, but RAW I think you stay disguised.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

9. - Top - End - #9

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ve-you-minions
    some of the neat su abilities i found.

i think ruin chanter takes the cake. its a fey that looks completely human and get this, it can summon a cr 10 ruin elemental once a weak! so turn into one and summon ruin elementals as early as level 2!

why level 2 and not 1? because of knowledge.
    its hd is 20 so you need to hit a dc30 knowledge check.
    if you take 10 you need 20 knowledge nature.
    5 ranks, 4 int mod, 5 collector of stories skill trick, 5 ancient knowledge spell, and 3 skill focus nets you a total of 22 for a check result of 32.
    at level 1 however, 4 ranks, 4 int mod, 5 ancient knowledge, and 3 skill focus nets you a total of 16. even with a +2 mwk skill item and mushroom powder drug from extract drug, you can only hit a check result of 29.

im gonna be using this in the character im planning right now.
    level 1 animal companion acf from unearthed arcana to give my changeling wizard a riding dog
    level 2 ruin elemental every week to carry me until i can get a mirror mephit.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    I do believe it would explicitly work with Metamorphic Transfer, but ASA is not Metamorphic Transfer. A Changeling can access Metamorphic Transfer as soon as level 3 (Ardent + Practiced Manifester), so any discussion on this usage of debatable RAW applies directly to the usage of Metamorphic Transfer, too, which is also productive.
    Metamorphic Transfer is just Assume Supernatural Ability that switched out the will saves with 3/day limit. I think its ridiculous to think it only works with Metamorphic Transfer and not both, but that's just me.

I wouldn't even go that far. Size category, appendages (presence/absence of wings, horns, tails, etc), and bipedal/quadrapedal/etc. I believe Changelings are intended to be able to emulate creatures other than humanoids, which is notable to this discussion, as Racial Emulation specifies that it only applies when you emulate humanoids. Why specify if that's all you can do anyway?
    I meant humanoid body type and not humanoid type. Certain Outsiders have the humanoid body type, but not the humanoid type, so Racial Emulation doesn't work for outsider shapes, but a changeling can still assume the form of one.

Which is what you're saying so there's no disagreement here.

Wildshape, shapechange, any other sort of shape-changing magic... Wildshape is probably the most notable, as it's longer duration and requires no spellslots. The rules are silent on what would happen if wildshape ran out while you were using a Changelings ability to emulate a creature with a different body type, so that's up to DM fiat. RAI you'd probably revert to Changeling, but RAW I think you stay disguised.
    Yeah that's the same as the cast Polymorph Any Object twice debate.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Metamorphic Transfer is just Assume Supernatural Ability that switched out the will saves with 3/day limit. I think its ridiculous to think it only works with Metamorphic Transfer and not both, but that's just me.
    They are absolutely not the same. There is key difference in the wording, and the wording is the only issue I take with ASA.

Metamorphic Transfer

Each time you change your form, such as through the metamorphosis power, you gain one of the new form's supernatural abilities, if it has any.
    This works any time you change your form, no ifs ands or buts. "Such as" is explicitly example-based language, so it is explicitly an example of a way you can change form.

Assume Supernatural Ability

You learn to use a single supernatural ability of another kind of creature while assuming its form through a polymorph self spell or a similar effect.
    Here, using "a polymorph self spell or a similiar effect" is given as a requirement, not an example. Is Minor Change Shape a "similar effect?" That is the crux of where a DM could rule that ASA does not work. They could read it, as others have, that it has to be a polymorph-based effect, in which case it would not work. They could also read it as any form-changing magical ability, in which case it would work. It is a subtle difference, but it exists nonetheless. Hence, it is up to DM fiat whether or not it works unless someone can conclusively prove that there is some rules text declaring Minor Change Shape is a "similar ability" to Polymorph Self.

With that said, it's also a 3.0 feat, which means it can be updated to 3.5 (either unchanged or with minor changes). Such an update should presumable replace "polymorph self" with "polymorph," for example, as "polymorph self" is no longer a spell. Such an update would presumable, in the hands of a competent writer, remove the ambiguity as well. In the absence of a Wizards-created update, it is up the DM to do so, hence another layer of DM fiat. Metamorphic Transfer is 3.5 content and is subject to no such update.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

What is your personal opinion about changelings turning into these creatures?
    Yak Folk. Their legs bend differently. Like an ox standing on its hind legs.
    Choker. Their arms are tentacles with claws, no elbows.
    I'm not certain about those. That there's room for debate means it's ultimately DM-dependent, but I'd be more inclined to say a Changeling could change to look like a zombie, as an extreme example towards the top of the type pyramid. The presence of claws doesn't concern that much. Missing arms, adding tentacles, or turning the legs backwards might be an issue. I see above that you liked a different idea better anyway, though, which is fortunate.

Could you go into a little more detail? MT requires a ML of 5. How does going Ardent with PM get you ML5?
    You know what, as I started typing, I remember ardent's arent that broken. I was remembering that ardents learn powers based on their manifester level and not their class level. Still, it's online by level 6, which is accessible in E6 and definitely still early-game. Only requires one level of a manifesting class, too, which is pretty clean.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

13. - Top - End - #13

Hence, it is up to DM fiat whether or not it works unless someone can conclusively prove that there is some rules text declaring Minor Change Shape is a "similar ability" to Polymorph Self.
    1. A DM can do anything he wants. If he doesn't like an interaction he can simply say "No" without doing any legalese.

2. Your and Gruftzwerg's interpretation only works if and only if "similar effect" means "has the same subschool". Literally. Your interpretations literally only works if this is the definition of "similar effect". If "similar effect" means anything other than "has the same subschool" your interpretation fails.
    And guess what, "Similar effect" DOESN'T mean "has the same subschool". The English dictionary doesn't say that. There is no d&d definition of "similar effect".
    So what you and Gruftzwerg is saying is that, by RAW, you should defy the English language, engineer a new term and definition, and say that's why your interpretaiton works.

So I've been kindly asking you and Gruftzwerg to provide me a rule citation where it says "similar effect" by definition means "has the same subschool". Which you ignore. And then declare "similar effect means has the same subschool" out of thin air and claim your interpretation is valid.

3. If we even call your "interpretation" an actual "interpretation", then there are two interpretations.
    a. One fits with everything. It fits with the Feat description. It fits with the Feat prerequisites. It fits with Rules Compendium. It fits with the English Language. it fits with everything.
    b. The other needs to dismiss the feat description by claiming its not rule text, dismiss the feat prerequisite claiming its a WotC oversight, needs to engineer a definition of "similar effects" that doesn't exist by defying the English language, needs to claim said engineered definition is RAW, needs to claim that spells and abilities that do the same exact thing and is lumped in the same category together by the definitive source of rules are NOT "similar", andclaim that the goal isn't to magically assume a new form with polymorph just being an example of a way to magically assume a new form but instead the absolute mandatory requirement for the feat to function,

Which interpretation is right? The one with no problems, or the one with a problem every way it turns?

So you see how I, a person of logic, can be extremely frustrated at the things you say.
    Instead of going in circles, why don't you address the following points?
    • dismiss the feat description by claiming its not rule text
    • dismiss the feat prerequisite claiming its a WotC oversight
    • engineer a definition of "similar effects" that doesn't exist by defying the English language
    • claim said engineered definition is RAW.
    • claim that spells and abilities that do the same exact thing and is lumped in the same category together by the definitive source of rules are NOT "similar"
    • claim that the goal isn't to magically assume a new form with polymorph just being an example of a way to magically assume a new form, but instead the absolute mandatory requirement for the feat to function

And you can post in the other thread too if you want since the OP doesn't want this discussion here. I'll follow you over there.
    Last edited by magicalmagicman; 2021-01-19 at 08:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

2. Your and Gruftzwerg's interpretation only works if and only if "similar effect" means "has the same subschool". L
    So what you and Gruftzwerg is saying is that, by RAW, you should defy the English language, engineer a new term and definition, and say that's why your interpretaiton works.

So I've been kindly asking again and again for you and Gruftzwerg to provide me a rule citation where it says "similar effect" by definition means "has the same subschool". Which you ignore. And then declare "similar effect means has the same subschool" out of thin air and claim your interpretation is valid.
    You are absolutely strawmanning me right now. I'm saying that a DM could rightfully read it to be that way because similar effect is vague. Gruftzwerg is flat-out saying it doesn't work by RAW. These two things are not the same, and if you think they are, I'm not quite sure what to say to you. If you want to reply to Gruftzwerg, then reply to Gruftzwerg and leave me out of it. I have not said it doesn't work; I'm saying it is ambiguously written and 3.0. If you'd care to respond to my actual post instead of Gruftzwerg's, then we can discuss that if you'd like.

You're also putting the burden of proof entirely on the wrong end here. The burden of proof is on the person saying it works to prove that a DM cannot read "similar effect" as not including Minor Change Shape. Thusfar, there has been no conclusive proof (likely because there is none). However, there is supporting evidence that would empower a DM to rule either way based on their preference. If you have conclusive evidence, please share it. Otherwise, as OP requested, we don't need to discuss it here.

I forgot about needing a knowledge check to know of a creature's existence.

That Ruin Chanter is far better than the Yak Folk thing I was trying to do! That's going on the first post.
    With regard to knowledges, I was working on an interesting build based on pumping knowledges as high as possible, so I know there's a lot of strong tools available.

1. Dragonfire Adept (+6 untyped to all knowledges, Skill Focus grants another +3 to the one you choose)
    2. Ardent grants (+5 untyped to any knowledge check when expending psionic focus, as well as the ability to reroll the knowledge check with a +4 competency)
    3. Wizard or Sorcerer (Collector of Stories gets you +5 competency, improving on your previous +4, and get Ancient Knowledge as Newguy pointed out, granting another +5 insight)

With a +2 from a masterwork tool, +4 from attribute, max ranks (6), and taking 10, we hit an automatic 46 at level 3, letting us get 36HD things. Two more levels gets us to a 48, and we also get WBL for an eternal wand of Guidance of the Avatar. That +20 competency replaces our +5, so it only boosts us up to 63, letting us get 52HD things as we please. In this case, that's enough for a lot of high-level goodies.

A quick glance through the Epic Level Handbook yields some additional options:

Gloom (192, 25HD) Fear Gaze (will save or fear as of 20th level caster)
    Hunefer (197, 50HD) Despair (will save or paralyze with fear for 1d4 rounds), Hunefer Rot (fort save or take 1d6 temporary con per round until they die or have remove disease; upon death, body shrivels away into sand unless remove disease and raise dead or better are used within 2 rounds; if not treated, an 18HD mummy rises with their equipment under your command)
    Lavawight (200, 32HD) Blazefire (melee attack sets foe on fire; fort save or permanently lsoe 4HP. Repeat for 6 additional rounds. You heal for all damage dealt this way, then gain temporary hp if already full. These hitpoints cannot be healed magically or naturally)
    Leshay (202, 50HD) Gaze (charm monster on all enemies within 30 feet, or target as a standard)
    Winterwight (227, 32HD) Blightfire (on melee attack, ignire with blightfire. Fort save or deal 4 permanent con drain for 5 rounds in total. Gain 10hp or temp hp for every 4 drained.)

Most notable seems to be the Hunefer for granting free, permanently loyal 18HD mummies. Leshay granting access to Charm Monster so early seems significant too.

I'm sure there's a lot of stronger options, but that's a decent place to start from. :)
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2021-01-19 at 08:21 PM.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

15. - Top - End - #15

I have not said it doesn't work; I'm saying it is ambiguously written and 3.0. If you'd care to respond to my actual post instead of Gruftzwerg's, then we can discuss that if you'd like.
    My apologies. I have lumped you and Gruftzwerg together.

You're also putting the burden of proof entirely on the wrong end here. The burden of proof is on the person saying it works to prove that a DM cannot read "similar effect" as not including Minor Change Shape. Thusfar, there has been no conclusive proof (likely because there is none). However, there is supporting evidence that would empower a DM to rule either way based on their preference. If you have conclusive evidence, please share it. Otherwise, as OP requested, we don't need to discuss it here.
    No, the burden of proof is on the other side.

Using the English definition of similar, are all the abilities listed under the Changing Form section of Rules Compendium "similar"?
    Yes. They're all categorized as the same effect achieved through various means be it spells, class features, or innate racial abilities.
    Case closed. Debate over. Assume Supernatural Ability works with Minor Change Shape.

It's up to the opposition to prove that these abilities are NOT similar under the English definition.
    Why is the burden of proof on me when I don't have to defy the English dictionary?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry, I don't know these two classes that well. A quick google has failed to reveal to me where the +6 and +5 untyped knowledges come from. Is there a feat name or a class ability I could use to help my search?
    Dragonfire Adept is from Dragon Magic and, at level one, gets access to a least invocation called "Draconic Knowledge" that grants a +6 untyped bonus to all Knowledge (and Spellcraft) checks and lets you make them untrained.

Ardent grants access to mantles which (much like domains) each grant access to special abilities. The Knowledge mantle lets you expend your psionic focus to get a +5 untyped bonus on a knowledge check.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Whether it works or not, I think if you try to come to a table with a level 1 changeling with Assume Supernatural Ability, and MCS into anything even mid-level in power, let alone a zodar for it's wish ability, and try to claim it works, you're gonna have a bad time.

I agree with the sentiment that Minor Change Shape is not a polymorph or similar effect because if you read through it's text it does reference a spell: Disguise Self. It's a physical transmutation effect, yes, but in the end, it's physically duplicating the effects of a level 1 illusion spell. It has no similarities to polymorph in any way other than it transmutes your shape, but MCS isn't even limited to specific creatures, you could turn yourself into a humanoid-shaped amorphous blob and get away with it, or change every limb to resemble a different creature, etc. That's not even mentioning the fact that you gain NO abilities of the form you take, not even natural weapons, so those claws you grew are completely useless.

This topic itself is contentious enough that you're not going to get a consensus from the playground, and even if you can convince yourself it works, you're gonna have a far harder time convincing a DM. Someone having access to powers far above their level isn't interesting for anyone else at the table, and the novelty will wear out for you fast enough as well, then you'll be left with a hollow, joyless character and roll onto the next meme character.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Whether it works or not, I think if you try to come to a table with a level 1 changeling with Assume Supernatural Ability, and MCS into anything even mid-level in power, let alone a zodar for it's wish ability, and try to claim it works, you're gonna have a bad time.

I agree with the sentiment that Minor Change Shape is not a polymorph or similar effect because if you read through it's text it does reference a spell: Disguise Self. It's a physical transmutation effect, yes, but in the end, it's physically duplicating the effects of a level 1 illusion spell. It has no similarities to polymorph in any way other than it transmutes your shape, but MCS isn't even limited to specific creatures, you could turn yourself into a humanoid-shaped amorphous blob and get away with it, or change every limb to resemble a different creature, etc. That's not even mentioning the fact that you gain NO abilities of the form you take, not even natural weapons, so those claws you grew are completely useless.

This topic itself is contentious enough that you're not going to get a consensus from the playground, and even if you can convince yourself it works, you're gonna have a far harder time convincing a DM. Someone having access to powers far above their level isn't interesting for anyone else at the table, and the novelty will wear out for you fast enough as well, then you'll be left with a hollow, joyless character and roll onto the next meme character.
    doesnt work with zodar without polymorph any object which is 8th level.

rules compendium a thousand faces is a form changing effect
    racial emulation feat says you assume forms.
    assume supernatural ability grants you a su ability of assumed forms
    metamorphic transfer also grants you su abilitiy of assumed forms.
    change shape assumes forms
    minor change shape assume forms

its open and shut.

if you dont like it thats fine. but rules are rules. its not us thats trying hard to convince ourselves that it works. its you who is trying really hard to convince yourself it doesnt work. i dont see you addressing "assumed form" in your post, but instead trying to ignore the rule text, dance around the raw, and pretend it doesnt exist.

and there is a consensus. no one is disagreeing whether it works with metamorphic transfer or not. its just the ones who are trying to hamfist a polymorph restriction onto assume supernatural ability thats disagreeing.
    Last edited by newguydude1; 2021-01-20 at 06:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

The topic isn't contentious. As newguydude1 pointed out no one is disagreeing whether it works with Metamorphic Transfer or not. So it most definitely works. Other posters have provided the rule citations that directly shows it works. The only contentious part here is does Assume Supernatural Ability require a polymorph subschool effect and not just a form changing effect and only one person thinks that, and has provided no rule citations, nor any English citations.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

I always thought the changeling ability worked like Disguise Self by default but it is physical rather than illusory. Dunno if that throws off all the polymorph discussions or not.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1 View Post
    doesnt work with zodar without polymorph any object which is 8th level.

rules compendium a thousand faces is a form changing effect
    racial emulation feat says you assume forms.
    assume supernatural ability grants you a su ability of assumed forms
    metamorphic transfer also grants you su abilitiy of assumed forms.
    change shape assumes forms
    minor change shape assume forms

its open and shut.

if you dont like it thats fine. but rules are rules. its not us thats trying hard to convince ourselves that it works. its you who is trying really hard to convince yourself it doesnt work. i dont see you addressing "assumed form" in your post, but instead trying to ignore the rule text, dance around the raw, and pretend it doesnt exist.

and there is a consensus. no one is disagreeing whether it works with metamorphic transfer or not. its just the ones who are trying to hamfist a polymorph restriction onto assume supernatural ability thats disagreeing.
    Except you're completely ignoring the 3.0 context of the feat where all shapechanging abilities were either based on polymorph (and thus a "similar effect") or based on a different spell, like alter self (and thus not a similar effect, note that back in 3.0 alter self was a significantly different spell and was not part of the polymorph chain). With the way shapechanging has been rather significantly changed since 3.0, where shapechanging abilities have been divorced from being based on spells at all for the most part, it becomes far more ambiguous.

If you want to update Assume Supernatural Ability to 3.5, just make it a carbon copy of Metamorphic Transfer, but replace Metamorphosis with Polymorph.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Except you're completely ignoring the 3.0 context of the feat where all shapechanging abilities were either based on polymorph (and thus a "similar effect") or based on a different spell, like alter self (and thus not a similar effect, note that back in 3.0 alter self was a significantly different spell and was not part of the polymorph chain). With the way shapechanging has been rather significantly changed since 3.0, where shapechanging abilities have been divorced from being based on spells at all for the most part, it becomes far more ambiguous.

If you want to update Assume Supernatural Ability to 3.5, just make it a carbon copy of Metamorphic Transfer, but replace Metamorphosis with Polymorph.
    With that said, since the trick works with Metamorphic Transfer at level 6 anyway (or level 5 if you have a bonus feat at level 5), it's still worth discussing, even if you believe that "polymorph self spell or similar effect" refers to polymorph-based effects.
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2021-01-20 at 08:55 AM.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

With that said, since the trick works with Metamorphic Transfer at level 6 anyway (or level 5 if you have a bonus feat at level 5), it's still worth discussing, even if you believe that "polymorph self spell or similar effect" refers to polymorph-based effects.
    Well the main difference is that Metamorphosis and Polymorph both have HD restrictions, so you can't shoot too far above your level (there are still some low HD creatures with high-powered abilities out there, but they're more the outlier), MCS doesn't have that restriction, because, again, it's form shifting is purely cosmetic.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Well the main difference is that Metamorphosis and Polymorph both have HD restrictions, so you can't shoot too far above your level (there are still some low HD creatures with high-powered abilities out there, but they're more the outlier), MCS doesn't have that restriction, because, again, it's form shifting is purely cosmetic.
    Metamorphic Transfer actually explicitly doesn't require Metamorphosis, which is where it differs from ASA.

Benefit
    Each time you change your form, such as through the metamorphosis power, you gain one of the new form's supernatural abilities, if it has any.
    Unlike in ASA, Metamorphic Transfer explicitly discusses metamorphosis only in terms of an example. I suppose there's still room for discussion as to whether or not MCS causes you to "change your form," as it doesn't have precisely the overlapping language of assuming a new form, but I think it's more clear-cut than the debate over "polymorph self spell or similar effect" folks were having.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Metamorphic Transfer actually explicitly doesn't require Metamorphosis, which is where it differs from ASA.

Unlike in ASA, Metamorphic Transfer explicitly discusses metamorphosis only in terms of an example. I suppose there's still room for discussion as to whether or not MCS causes you to "change your form," as it doesn't have precisely the overlapping language of assuming a new form, but I think it's more clear-cut than the debate over "polymorph self spell or similar effect" folks were having.
    Ah, true enough, it doesn't. Still, you'd be right in saying that a Changeling's minor change shape ability has no wording about assuming forms at all.

Minor Change Shape (Su): Changelings have the supernatural ability to alter their appearance as though using a disguise self spell that affects their bodies but not their possessions. This is not an illusory effect but a minor physical alteration of a changeling’s facial features, skin color and texture, and size, within the limits described for the spell. A changeling can use this ability at will, and the alteration lasts until she changes shape again. A changeling reverts to her natural form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals her natural form. Using this ability is a full-round action.
    People can point to the racial emulation feat and say that by this reading it's dysfunctional, and maybe it is, but that's an error with the feat's language, and is not how the changeling's MCS ability works. MCS (and thousand faces, since they use practically the same wording) merely alter your appearance, and do not allow you to take specific forms. While you can alter your appearance to appear in that form, you actually are not.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Ah, true enough, it doesn't. Still, you'd be right in saying that a Changeling's minor change shape ability has no wording about assuming forms at all.

People can point to the racial emulation feat and say that by this reading it's dysfunctional, and maybe it is, but that's an error with the feat's language, and is not how the changeling's MCS ability works. MCS (and thousand faces, since they use practically the same wording) merely alter your appearance, and do not allow you to take specific forms. While you can alter your appearance to appear in that form, you actually are not.
    That's a hot take that hasn't received much conversation at all, but I suppose is worth discussing. Does Racial Emulation, by RAW, literally just do nothing? It'd be internally consistent with the argument that MCS doesn't involve assuming new forms, I suppose, which is the important thing when trying to argue Metamorphic Transfer doesn't work. I'm not sure I'd lean towards a RAW reading that invites dysfunction like that into an otherwise fine feat, personally.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

That's a hot take that hasn't received much conversation at all, but I suppose is worth discussing. Does Racial Emulation, by RAW, literally just do nothing? It'd be internally consistent with the argument that MCS doesn't involve assuming new forms, I suppose, which is the important thing when trying to argue Metamorphic Transfer doesn't work. I'm not sure I'd lean towards a RAW reading that invites dysfunction like that into an otherwise fine feat, personally.
    Well, I think it's rather clear how it's intended to function, and to fix it all, you do is change the word "form" to the word "appearance"

When you use your minor change shape ability to assume the form appearance of a humanoid creature
    Like that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Hi Crake

This character isn't a serious character. A changeling having access to such crazy powerful abilities at level 1 has such a WTF factor I thought it would be crazy fun to build such a crazy character together and show it off to my other friends to see their jaw dropped faces going "No way! No way!" for a while. But there has been nothing but extreme negativity here. I think it was a mistake to make an account and post.

I'm gonna go see if there's a way to delete this account.
    There's plenty of ways to break the game at level 1, that's nothing special, adding another method onto the pile isn't really an accomplishment, and that's likely why you get such a jaded response to such ideas. Trust me, you'll have much more fun if you start using tabletop rpgs for what they're meant to be used for, and that's storytelling mediums, rather than what is essentially glitch hunting.

29. - Top - End - #29

Well, I think it's rather clear how it's intended to function, and to fix it all, you do is change the word "form" to the word "appearance"

Like that.
    Did you really just use the word "intend"?

Quote Originally Posted by Assume Supernatural Ability
    You learn to use a supernatural ability of an assumed form.

Prerequisite
    WIS 13, ability to assume a new form magically,

Benefit
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic Transfer
    Each time you change your form, such as through the metamorphosis power, you gain one of the new form’s supernatural abilities, if it has any.
    Intention of the feat is 100% clear. The goal is assuming a new form magically and polymorph is just an example. Yet you're trying to lawyer Polymorph into the prerequisite.

I 100% Agree. Lets just do that. I've been saying that since the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic Transfer
    Each time you change your form, such as through the polymorph spell, you gain one of the new form’s supernatural abilities, if it has any.
    I guess the discussion is over.

Like that.
    Even if you did that it'd change nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule Compendium
    Change Shape
    A creature that has this special quality can assume the appearance
    of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid),
    but retains most of its original physical qualities. Changing
    shape results in the following changes to the creature.
    • The creature retains the type and subtype of its natural
    form. It gains the size of its assumed form.
    Change Shape assumes the appearance, not form. But the very next sentences treats changing appearance identically to changing form.

Assume the appearance is a synonym of assume the form. There is no distinction between the two. Not to mention this is all under the section "Changing Form" so it's clear cut that assume appearance = assume form. Not that I need to prove this because you can't change RAW. I mean, you can for your table, but we're not talking about your table.

Polymorph is just an example. Minor Change Shape assumes forms. Assume Supernatural Ability gives you the Su ability of assumed forms.

We have rule citation for each and every one of our claims. We even have "intent" on our side.
    Last edited by magicalmagicman; 2021-01-20 at 11:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Polymorph is just an example.
    The thing is that you keep making that claim, but there is no conclusive evidence it is just an example. A DM would not be incorrect to say that "polymorph self spell or similar effect" is referring to effects based on polymorph self; it matches the context.

With that said, a DM would not be incorrect to take "effect" out of that context and read polymorph self as "just an example." It is written super ambiguously, and if you read it this way, Minor Change Shape definitely works (or Racial Emulation doesn't work -- it's one or the other, and Racial Emulation not working seems much more dysfunctional to me than MCS not qualifying under this reading).

That's why this is ultimately subject to DM fiat. Both readings make sense in context and have supporting evidence. You can stack up supporting evidence for "polymorph self is an example" until the cows come home, but it's always going to be DM fiat because there is no conclusive rules text to settle the phrasing of this matter.

People object because the RAI is probably not for a level 1 Ardent Changeling to be able to get a supernatural ability from any 19HD bipedal creature with two arms, two legs, one head, and no extra appendages (Take 10 on the knowledge check, +4 from ranks, +4 from attribute, +5 from Knowledge mantle, +4 from power, +2 from masterwork tool). Given the choice of two RAW readings, they are rejecting the one that creates this absurdly potent situation. However, just as they are wrong to reject, so too are you wrong to tell them it is indisputable RAW that it works. You have a lot of supporting evidence. I imagine you can summon even more supporting evidence. None of that supporting evidence will eliminate the validity of the other reading. All of the supporting evidence you find would be valuable to convince a DM to accept that it is a valid reading that they should consider allowing at their table. On the subject of DMs, it is a 3.0 feat. That there is ambiguity will prompt the DM to update the feat regardless (or else "polymorph self spell or similar effect" becomes "null or similar effect," and the feat doesn't work for anything). This supporting evidence will be key to earn a favorable update.

Are there more powerful things you can do at level 1? Pun Pun can exist at level 1, so yes. I think the Omnificer also exists at level 1. However, this is a pretty potent one that is worth considering, especially since (in my opinion) it has a much stronger case to work with Metamorphic Transfer at level 6. I've noticed very few people arguing it wouldn't work with Metamorphic Transfer, so this topic of conversation is valid regardless of whether they reject ASA's compatibility or not.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise