New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Bladesinger and spells with a bonus action casting time

The extra attack feature of the bladesinger allows you to substitute one attack for a cantrip. Am i correct that you could also cast a spell with a casting time of a bonus action?
    Bonus action castings allow you to cast 1 cantrip with a casting time of 1 action. The extra attack feature doesnt change the casting time of the cantrip. So you can do both. Right?

Or am I missing something?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Bladesinger and spells with a bonus action casting time

It doesn't change the rule, so you can cast a bonus action spell as normal.

"You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action."
    Signature verification required.

Latest Homebrew: The Battledancer 5e Dragonfire Adept 5e

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarppy View Post
    The extra attack feature of the bladesinger allows you to substitute one attack for a cantrip. Am i correct that you could also cast a spell with a casting time of a bonus action?
    Bonus action castings allow you to cast 1 cantrip with a casting time of 1 action. The extra attack feature doesnt change the casting time of the cantrip. So you can do both. Right?

Or am I missing something?
    TECHNICALLY a strict reading of the rules would let a Tasha's Bladesinger cast 1-action cantrips (like Eldritch Blast) as part of Extra Attack on the same turn you cast a bonus action spell (like Misty Step), but not 1-minute cantrips (like Mending) or bonus action cantrips (like Shillelagh and Magic Stone). If you don't Misty Step you aren't restricted to just 1-action cantrips.

As DM I would never enforce such a needless distinction. Any given cantrip would just be allowed (Magic Stone) or banned (Mending) from use as part of Extra Attack, full stop. Then you can Misty Step or not as your bonus action, as you please. In this case running it by the rules as written just adds needless complexity.

Then again, as DM I don't allow Tasha's Bladesingers anyway, just SCAG Bladesingers (v1).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    TECHNICALLY a strict reading of the rules would let a Tasha's Bladesinger cast 1-action cantrips (like Eldritch Blast) as part of Extra Attack on the same turn you cast a bonus action spell (like Misty Step), but not 1-minute cantrips (like Mending) or bonus action cantrips (like Shillelagh and Magic Stone). If you don't Misty Step you aren't restricted to just 1-action cantrips.

As DM I would never enforce such a needless distinction. Any given cantrip would just be allowed (Magic Stone) or banned (Mending) from use as part of Extra Attack, full stop. Then you can Misty Step or not as your bonus action, as you please. In this case running it by the rules as written just adds needless complexity.

Then again, as DM I don't allow Tasha's Bladesingers anyway, just SCAG Bladesingers (v1).
    You know SCAG’s been errata so later printings of SCAG will match Tasha’s.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    You know SCAG’s been errata so later printings of SCAG will match Tasha’s.
    Yes, hence my reference to "SCAG Bladesingers (v1)", as opposed to SCAG Bladesingers (v2). The v2 wording is careless and I don't think the class is well-designed. I'm particularly bothered by how it overshadows the Eldritch Knight's War Magic.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-01-20 at 09:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yes, hence my reference to "SCAG Bladesingers (v1)", as opposed to SCAG Bladesingers (v2). The v2 wording is careless and I don't think the class is well-designed. I'm particularly bothered by how it overshadows the Eldritch Knight's War Magic.
    Just saying some players or DMs will only have access to the new version of Bladesinger. Especially if they access their books through VTTs.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You are right about the EK war magic. It was always dependent on situation/ level as to whether it was going to be an upgrade. Now, if you are going to tier 2/3 (levels commonly played) there is definitely another viable gish class to look at. By late tier 3/ tier 4 EK is still an excellent Fighter subclass, and Bladesinger is a full caster with limited bonus to spells other than cantrips.