New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Noob game moments that changed everything!

What im looking for here are stories of people playing a game and not realizing till much later that they were doing it the hard way without even knowing it. I will use my favorite story as an example. Back in the olden days of 2001, I played a mmorpg called Everquest. I had a strategy guide for it that gave me all sorts of info on various races and classes and I decided to play as an iksar monk. Basically a lizardfolk. Anyways, I log into the game, and its night time, so its DARK. Everything in the capitol city is hard to see, though marginally better when I have a torch or some other light source. It was so bad I ended up accidentally dying in the city, only to spawn in some random plain outside with no clue where I was or what I was doing. I ended up logging out and waiting till "daytime" to be able to play again. I ended up playing only as races with good night vision and even then I tended to have to sit down and wait for dawn before I could keep playing because even with things like greater lightstones equipped, I just couldnt see well. I played like this for a month or two, and was honestly ready to quit, when I complained to a random other player about how hard it was to see. He responded, "Wait, what is your gamma set at?" "My what?" I replied.

And that was the true start to my enjoyment of the game. Suddenly I was able to see where I was going in tunnels! I didnt have to log off when the sun set! I was able to go back and find corpses I had lost through trying to escape while unable to see and under attack by monsters. It was the start of my career as a computer gamer as I discovered almost every game had this function and while not unusable, most were set too low for me to be able to play as well as I could. I honestly never knew that was an option for games before then.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Noob game moments that changed everything!

I had something similar but not with the game settings; my first Skyrim character was a Khajiit for the night vision. It was ages before I figured out that was something that had to be turned on not something that happened automatically.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I remember one summer, sheesh, almost 20 years ago when I really got into playing Super Punch-Out for the SNES because I borrowed it from a college friend. I had never played much of the original (Mike Tyson's) Punch-Out game because it was hard and frustrating, so I was more or less learning Super Punch-Out from nothing.

Commenting to my friend about the controls, I mentioned pushing the R Button for blocking. Turns out that was completely unnecessary, and the R Button did nothing. Blocking was actually done by not pressing anything, or by only pressing Up on the D-Pad to block a high hit, but I had inadvertently learned this by holding down the R Button whenever I needed to block.

What was really happening was that I'd been using the R Button, which was not used by the game, as a placebo to stop myself from pressing other buttons.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

When I played the Warcraft and Starcraft campaigns I had quite a hard time. This is because I didn't have a good understanding of how to properly play an RTS game and my multiplayer experience was zero. This led to two major problems.

1) I didn't understand that the worker units provided to you at the start were not sufficient. I would build a couple extras for construction, but otherwise my mining crew consisted of only the opening 4-5 workers.

2) I also didn't get the concept of expansions. An extra gold mine wasn't to be used simultaneously - it was there for me to take over after my old gold mine was destroyed. I carried this idea forward from the original Warcraft (where building Town Halls was impossible) and it never occurred to me to try and optimize my economy.

The result was that my gold intake was pathetically low for all the games. I would essentially wind up exhausting the AI opponents by building big defenses and then very slowly siege their base. This became very difficult in the later stages of the game, and I only barely managed to destroy the Overmind with a suicide carrier attack.

It was a great shock to me when I ventured online and saw how the game was meant to be played.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    He responded, "Wait, what is your gamma set at?" "My what?" I replied.
    This is part of why I don't get along well with 'atmospheric' games - what they usually mean is 'if you use our recommended lighting level you won't be able to see anything'. Screw that, I don't want to be able to barely see the 2-inch circle around my character, I don't care how spooky your Things Flapping In The Dark are! I want to be able to tell that a doorway is a gotdang doorway from farther away than having my nose pressed against it!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I remember ahving to slug through the Nar Shaada level in Jedi Outcast having a very hard time taking out the ennemy snipers because using the sniper scope takes away the crosshair and the ennemy is very far away. Years later I showed that game to a friend and on his first time using the sniper rifle he instinctively scrolled on the mouse which made the scope zoom in. I felt like such an idiot.

In my first playthrough of Prey (2017) I never realized I could use the Gloo gun to create platforms or the boltcaster to activate buttons at a distance. Despite having witnessed a scripted event showing the former and read emails discussing the latter. I also didn't take advantage of the shapedhifting power to creep through small openings but that's mostly because I basically never used it. Learning that I could have down any of that blew my mind. So many locked doors I could have bypassed rather than looking for codes and keycards.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-01-21 at 06:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I used to play Triplane Turmoil with friends, and none of us could ever land a plane. Years later I read the manual and discovered that you could airbrake by holding up + down rather than by turning your engine on and off.

...also that the planes had different stats and the person flying the blue plane had a massive advantage over everyone else.
    Last edited by MinimanMidget; 2021-01-21 at 09:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I remember my siblings I getting stuck on the first stage of Jak & Daxter. We tried all the buttons and couldn't work out a way to get Jak to move except punching forwards.

Yeah, sure, it seems obvious now. But as far as we were concerned that wasn't how you moved characters in games. Like, I remember some PS1 games not even supporting the analog sticks, so we just defaulted to the d-pad.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I beat Final Fantasy VIII only using the Guardian Force command. No junctioning magic to increase my stats, no drawing magic, no upgrading weapons, no using items, didn't use basic attacks, didn't use limit breaks, didn't bother playing Triple Triad.

This wasn't a challenge run or whatever the kids do these day. I just saw that the GF command kept working at every battle and there was no limit on its use, so I kept using it.

I didn't even get the Boost Command thingy where you can charge up the attack by button mashing, I just watched the animation play out hundreds of times.

Ultimecia at least did take items though. I also didn't do any of the side content, so just the main story and thus only the GFs you got by going through it normally.

I was around 8 at the time with my fresh PS2, and really didn't read the tutorials.

Edit: I suppose I should mention when I realized I was playing it all dumb-like. My PS2 and all of my games got stolen after a random break-in a ways back, and I got one of the later thin versions of the console that was out by then with as many of the games I used to own as possible - though I've never found a copy of FF7 again outside of overpriced copies on Amazon - and started to replay all the PSX-era FF games again from 5-9. This time around I had the Internet and actually read the game tutorials. I also learnt about the whole dynamic difficulty scaling and how... unconventional the FF8's mechanics actually were in general. It was a revelation of sorts.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2021-01-21 at 11:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    This is part of why I don't get along well with 'atmospheric' games - what they usually mean is 'if you use our recommended lighting level you won't be able to see anything'. Screw that, I don't want to be able to barely see the 2-inch circle around my character, I don't care how spooky your Things Flapping In The Dark are! I want to be able to tell that a doorway is a gotdang doorway from farther away than having my nose pressed against it!
    This reminded me of one of the early 90s Star Trek adventure games (don't remember the exact title). During the space battle portions, a cloaked ship actually just turned its pixels black or very dark gray, but I had my screen's brightness up high enough that I could still see them against the darker black of the star field. It was kind of cheap, but funny.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    2) I also didn't get the concept of expansions. An extra gold mine wasn't to be used simultaneously - it was there for me to take over after my old gold mine was destroyed. I carried this idea forward from the original Warcraft (where building Town Halls was impossible) and it never occurred to me to try and optimize my economy.
    Hah, almost the same here. Never used expansions until the first mine dried out. It could have been a carryover from Age of Empires as well, for me at least, since although you could build new TCs, you could do fine with just extra mills and camps and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    I used to play Triplane Turmoil with friends, and none of us could ever land a plane. Years later I read the manual and discovered that you could airbrake by holding up + down rather than by turning your engine on and off.

...also that the planes had different stats and the person flying the blue plane had a massive advantage over everyone else.
    Same here as well. No one could land, but since dying was common, it wasn't really an issue. I think I had to try really hard to do it in campaign missions, though, since (I think?) you had to land to continue in some levels.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Another good one is the first time I played Half-Life. I hadn't been allowed to play FPS games previously as my parents disapproved of violent FPS games. My only experience with the genre was playing Doom at a friend's house, and Doom was played entirely with the keyboard and had no up or down aiming.

Naturally, this meant that I played Half-Life with only a keyboard. Arrow keys to move forwards, backwards, and turn. A and D to strafe to get my gun aiming correctly on the horizontal. Q and E to aim up and down.

It was halfway through the second chapter that I finally got fed up. There was that big elevator/funicular with a ton of headcrabs jumping down at you, and it was just too hard to aim at each one using only the keyboard. I went into the options to try and set up a better control scheme and found this innocent looking option called Mouselook...

I don't think I've ever felt so dumb while playing a video game.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

When, as a kid, my English got good enough that I realized that the original Sid Meier's Pirates had a scoring screen if you clicked "divide up the plunder" and then didn't click the "no" option because you thought the game was asking you if you were angry

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

In Undertale, I promptly forgot how to use the menu, and ended up using the beginning stick and bandage all the way up until Asgore when I finally figured it out.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

So, uh, someone had to tell me to hold the mouse button to mine blocks in Minecraft, instead of clicking rapidly.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Half Life 2: Ravenholm is a much tenser experience if you don’t realise/remember that you can use the gravity gun against enemies. I was using my regular weaponry, and running perilously low on ammo by the end. It was great.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been burning a ridiculous number of caps in Fallout New Vegas Old World Blues to keep the LAER maintained – something like 30,000 by the time I've got access to the Forbidden Dome. I wasn't sure what I've been doing wrong (other than maybe being a really bad shot with it) so I looked up tips yesterday. Realised I've got my Repair skill high enough, and enough of the Sink assistants back online, that I should just be turning the abundant junk into weapon repair kits instead.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

X-Wing: Couldn't get my mouse to work, so was stuck using keyboard to aim/fly. Not very effective.

WoW: You mean I can eat and drink at the same time?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Played the Metal Gear Solid series up through 4. Several times. Love ‘em.

In 4, when you return to Shadow Moses Island, you get to freakin’ pilot REX. Incredible experience.

Only... the first time (or two?) I played that scene, I didn’t realize you can change REX’s weapons! Has like 3.

Okay so maybe it didn’t change everything, but made one of my favorite parts of any game ever even better.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I used to play in a MUD - that's a Multi-User Dungeon, for you young 'uns. It was essentially World of Warcraft except it was entirely text based - no graphics to speak of, just lines of text that you would speed-read as it scrolled by to find out what was going on, and then type in commands to tell your character what to do. Typing 'kill goblin' would initiate a fight, and occasionally you'd add commands like "cast 'lesser heal' me" to enter an action (cast a spell), the title for the spell (WITH 'punctuation' so that the game would recognize the syntax) and then the target (me) - now try that again while tanking for 8 other players against 9 mobs, as 18 lines of coloured text would flit by every 3 seconds as each participant took an action each round. It's not how I'd recommend you learn to touch type with an impressive degree of accuracy, but that's pretty much what I did between the ages of 16 and 20.

I was 17 and a half before I realized that the game had auto-fill for most commands ("cast" could be "c", "kill" could be "k") and then almost 18 before I realized that text macros could be a thing. When I finally figured out that I could make a single tap of F1 remove my backpack, take a bag out of the backpack, take a loaf of bread out of the bag, eat the bread, put the bag into the backpack, then wear my backpack again all in the space of 2 seconds, my self-esteem plummeted about as fast as my touch-typing ability.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

21. - Top - End - #21

AssassinGuy

The first time I ever picked up a rpg (Chrono Trigger) I didn't know that you didn't attack the same way you would in any basically any other console game I'd played up to that point. Holding or tapping a button....

Now technically you can attack in Chrono Trigger by mashing the confirm button but not understanding command menus or atb guages or just rpg strategies outside of the attack action makes for a not amazing time.

This was especially silly in retrospect because I have played stuff like maniac mansion, shadowgate, some text adventure game computer games, segments of a Leisure Suit Larry game my dad had me beat for him since he couldn't do it himself... So I was young but it's not like I couldn't read or there wasn't a tutorial house that explained this stuff... I just chose not to that day and didn't touch it again until I was in highschool a decade later.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Another good one is the first time I played Half-Life. I hadn't been allowed to play FPS games previously as my parents disapproved of violent FPS games. My only experience with the genre was playing Doom at a friend's house, and Doom was played entirely with the keyboard and had no up or down aiming.

Naturally, this meant that I played Half-Life with only a keyboard. Arrow keys to move forwards, backwards, and turn. A and D to strafe to get my gun aiming correctly on the horizontal. Q and E to aim up and down.

It was halfway through the second chapter that I finally got fed up. There was that big elevator/funicular with a ton of headcrabs jumping down at you, and it was just too hard to aim at each one using only the keyboard. I went into the options to try and set up a better control scheme and found this innocent looking option called Mouselook...

I don't think I've ever felt so dumb while playing a video game.
    Oh, man, so similar experiences. We'd play 4-man multiplayer in Quake 1, and three of us would (for some reason) only play with the keyboard, no aiming up and down, just strafing around. One friend used to use the mouse, and we'd simply not believe it was the better way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I used to play in a MUD - that's a Multi-User Dungeon, for you young 'uns. It was essentially World of Warcraft except it was entirely text based - no graphics to speak of, just lines of text that you would speed-read as it scrolled by to find out what was going on, and then type in commands to tell your character what to do. Typing 'kill goblin' would initiate a fight, and occasionally you'd add commands like "cast 'lesser heal' me" to enter an action (cast a spell), the title for the spell (WITH 'punctuation' so that the game would recognize the syntax) and then the target (me) - now try that again while tanking for 8 other players against 9 mobs, as 18 lines of coloured text would flit by every 3 seconds as each participant took an action each round. It's not how I'd recommend you learn to touch type with an impressive degree of accuracy, but that's pretty much what I did between the ages of 16 and 20.

I was 17 and a half before I realized that the game had auto-fill for most commands ("cast" could be "c", "kill" could be "k") and then almost 18 before I realized that text macros could be a thing. When I finally figured out that I could make a single tap of F1 remove my backpack, take a bag out of the backpack, take a loaf of bread out of the bag, eat the bread, put the bag into the backpack, then wear my backpack again all in the space of 2 seconds, my self-esteem plummeted about as fast as my touch-typing ability.
    Hah. I remember (back in the t2t days) intentionally not getting the whole macro package from my more experienced friend because "I didn't need them all". Truth be told, I really didn't need them all because I played much less than him, but the difference was pretty funny. I was manually exploring free gold quests while he was using area-specific macros to "juke" other veteran player-killers when they hunted him.

23. - Top - End - #23

DwarfClericGuy

Co-operative games such as they are really weren't a thing in the early days of game. Enter Age of Empires 2. RTS's require a lot of attention and micro both on the economic and fighting side. That's a lot for a kid to handle.

However, one day while messing around on LAN settings, my brother and I realized if we both selected the same player color we would both control the same units. One of us could handle the economy, focusing entirely on villagers and resource collection. The other could focus entirely on the military, doing far more with less and better micro.

I mean in retrospect we still sucked horribly compared to modern ranked play standards. But it was much better than our usual individual strategies of mine out the world, delete your villagers, mass 200 supply of military and steam roll across the map.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

Way, way back in the day, in the second Castlevania game, I didn't know to use the diamond what's it at this one dead end to cross this unjumpable gap. To be fair, a lot of people didn't k ow that, either.

However, it turned out to only be mostly unjumpable; after (lots of) trial and error, I found that could *just barely* jump far enough to get a pixel of my character onto the ledge, and so jump across that unjumpable gap.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

My father introduced me to PC gaming through Eye of the Beholder and Dune 2.

For a long time I was unable to get through level 4 of Dune - language barrier was one thing, but mainly I was not able to withstand one of the assaults - and could only manage it with losing a third of my base or so.

After some time I saw my father playing the last level. A Harkonnen missile came and demolished parts of his base. He disregarded it, went on. I was sure he has lost, but after some 20 minutes he just went on and finished off the last house (I think he played Atreides and kept Ordos as last enemy).

For some reason, I considered losing even one building a catastrophe and that kept me from playing most strategic games - I reloaded any time the enemy destroyed even a single building of mine. He was the opposite - the game did not end until he saw the screen that said "Game Over".
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

10 years after beating Majora's Mask I learned you could Hold A to swim continuously. Game changing.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Fumbling with the controls as an 8 year old, I accidentally deleted the world map in Morrowind. Thankfully, I had a game of the year edition that included a paper map. Played for several hundred hours of navigating using the map before discovering how to turn the ingame map back on. Very good times haha

28. - Top - End - #28

SamuraiGuy

My friends and I rented a Playstation from a video store, back when they first came out. We also rented Resident Evil, and stayed up all night playing it. Unfortunately, we didn't know to also rent the little separate save stick that allowed you to save games. So when you died in Resident Evil (which was not uncommon, since none of us had played before), you had to start over.

After dying several times and then getting two-three hours into the game we were all so invested in not dying and starting over again that we were yelling at the TV and each other. That is still the most intense video game experience of my life.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

In DaemonXMachina there's a neat little type of equipment-type called weapon-arms in the research tree.
    Which are arms with build in weapons (duh).
    In exchange for not being able to change the equipped weapon you don't have to reload and- more importantly -you can't be disarmed*, say by the final boss' special attack.

Now guess who I beat just before finding out those things exist.

Which is another moment in itself.
    Basically the frigging thing kept ripping my weapons out of my hands, at which point I had to abandon my mech and try to fight on foot.
    Which didn't really work out.
    Then I found out that my mech can punch.

So the first time I beat that boss I'm hanging upside down next to it, desperately trying to beat it to death before it hits me with something I can't take.
    It was absolutely epic.

Fighting with bazooka-arms makes the fight easier sure- and I usually use them whenever I go after that one again.
    But that first victory? Absolutely priceless.

So I guess ultimately not doing my research (both in-game and out of game) paid off in the end?

*Unless it's literally.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    The first time I ever picked up a rpg (Chrono Trigger) I didn't know that you didn't attack the same way you would in any basically any other console game I'd played up to that point. Holding or tapping a button....
    Heh, first time playing that I spent probably 3 or 4 hours walking around the first dungeon before a friend pointed out those things on the walls were switches.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.