New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: [IC]Dare To Dream! (M&M)

"I am in agreement. Well, see you tomorrow!" Sparkle zips off, brainstorming ideas for Dr. Eldritch. Some sort of metafiction, perhaps? A story about cosmic forces granting powers to humans so they can put on a show, provide some amusement. Richard Love (his secret identity) slowly losing control over his life, wondering why the world seems to hate him, and eventually going mad from the revelation that his sorrows are some ancient god's soap opera? And then becoming a brutal "superhero" out of the belief that the whole world is just a constructed lie? Very high-concept. Too bad about demanding seriousness--she was seeing it more as a bathos or black comedy. But whatever, this is her first real comic, regardless of whether it's what she wants to write or not. In all likelihood, I'll look back at this as an embarrassing grease stain on my career, she thinks. Or that the fans will see this as my magnum opus that none of my other works can live up to. Heck, probably both at once.
    elephants are made of carbon

and so are you

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Teleporting away, Nomad goes to find MacLeod again. There were things they had to discuss now. Not in the mood for skirting around things, and having just revealed the existence of Nomad and the suit to the world, he just heads to ASTRO, using his powers to arrive somewhere close to his office before switching focus to his visor, allowing him to remotely observe the office until MacLeod is alone, at which point he teleports in.

Spoiler
    Show

Mechanically, using the Remote Sensing part of the array (250ft range) followed up with a teleport.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-02-01 at 07:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Bidding the others farewell, John flies back to the roof where he left his civilian clothing and gets dressed before resuming his trip to work, but he expects it won't be back to business as usual, it will only be a matter of time before he's found and constantly hounded by the press, curious citizens, perhaps friends and family of the suspects he helped to subdue today... He had no illusions, he expected at least one murder attempt before the week was out. Touching down outside the temp agency, he walks inside.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

4. - Top - End - #64

DrowGirl

Sparkle flies to a safe distance from Castle Comics and transforms (untransforms?) She hurries into the building, ready to present her rough pitch to the editor.

No news coverage? she notes as she quickly scrolls through her phone. That's weird. I would think that they would eat up a big bridge attack--with superheroes, no less. Someone's covering this up. Hopefully, it's those agents we met, because if otherwise...yeesh.

and so are you

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Windfall runs back to his place changing quickly. He kisses his girlfriend then turns on the news. No news coverage that’s wired he thinks he starts calling people he knows asking people what they know.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Curiously, there is no news coverage of the Pramas Bridge event. Even with Action News there ... it's like it didn't happen, which is unusual for Freedom City.

Not even videos from civilians. Several Freedom City residents complain online about losing internet connection after the event. Some complain about an unexpected power loss that prevented broadcasting.
    Last edited by SwordCoastTaxi; 2021-02-02 at 09:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

ASTRO Labs:

Via his suit's sensors, Nomad sees MacLeod seated at his desk going over three monitors of computerized data only the most brilliant minds on Earth could decipher. Curiously, the coding looks very familiar --- because it's Nomad's!

Appearing in the office, MacLeod continues to type away what seems to be addendum-code separate from the main body of code spanning the screens. He says, "Spatial displacement only carried a hypothetical environmental impact .... that is, until you did it. Did they surrender ...?"

The old man seems frozen in his seat awaiting Nomad's response ...

His helmet hiding his expression, Nomad nods, walking closer to get a better look at what the man was working on exactly with his code. "We were able to handle it, yes. Now, what did you mean before I left when you said it was beginning again? What happened in the past?"

MacLeod taps the code .... And says, "You were always remarkable. But, I would need to explain exactly what 'remarkable' truly is. You uncovered something new."

Dr. MacLeod turned in his chair to look at Nomad, "We don't have much time left, now do we?"

He folded his hands in his waist, "Your research was SO complete. They took it and did something. Trans-dimensional apex. You both questioned and answered decades of science at once. Now you're here asking questions?"

MacLeod cued-up Nomad's extra-dimentional research. The screens lit with impossible equations, as MacLeod turned in his seat, "In a million years I wouldn't have figured these calculations. You opened a bridge --- that we've been puzzling for a decade! And, we found something ...."

Adrian shrugs, taking off his helmet and looking at it. "I didn't manage this alone. Putting aside the foundation of Fairbright's original project, when I was in that other world, I found...technology. I suppose from an alternate humanity, visitors from a third dimension, or something more alien, depending on the nature of the dimension - I never learnt which. Whoever made it, the accident had augmented my mind to the degree I could understand it and reverse-engineer it into the technology I have now." Adrian takes off his helmet and looks at it. "With that in mind...it's not surprising if there's more to discover out there. What did you find?"

Dr. MacLeod frowns, "We started going through your work, but, had to involve law enforcement due to your disappearance. What began as subtle investigation quickly became a legal nightmare. They took the research from us, despite our protest. ASTRO Labs had a congenial relationship with the government for decades, so this ... was unprecedented. I continually wonder if they wanted to bury the technology, or used it to create their own program. I shudder to think of a government having the power to breach dimensions. Now, we can't even use what you uncovered. Legally. Do you remember old Sophocles? 'How terrible is wisdom when it doesn't profit the wise?"

The doctor grimaced and looked around his office, his eyes finally falling on Adrian, "But we maintained a link to what they were doing with your research with coding buried beneath the code. Scientists first, 'Hacktivists' thereafter, yes? Freedom City constructed a new downtown cell-tower a decade ago. It provides free wifi for downtown civilians. A common thing. But, we detected something more: a telematic 'pulse' that echoes not just across downtown Freedom City, but the whole world! Curiously, it was our Cybernetics division that puzzled the signal creeps into the field of cognitive operations. We still haven't figured it all out, but ... something is very wrong here. Anyone researching the cell-tower is immediately reassigned to another field of research or leaves ASTRO Labs completely, for other work."

Dr. MacLeod turns and, tapping the keyboard, shifts the screens to different codes. He sighs, "Something is wrong here. What did you learn today?'

Adrian nods thoughtfully, starting to put pieces together - it was still too early to have a complete picture, though. "The FBI know something. One of our group is going to make contact with an agent willing to talk. That agent also apparently thinks we're in danger, so between that and your findings about mine and Fairbright's work and the government, I will keep on being dead for the time being, and Nomad's identity will remain unknown." He pauses. "They'll probably work it out sooner or later, though - most of my suit's technology and principles coming from a novel source will hopefully throw them off, but there's enough pieces that they'll be able to put it together. Particularly if they've journeyed between worlds themselves - I don't know how spread the race I got the technology from was, and they might have found similar artefacts to what I did. Point is, be careful. Things may escalate."

Adrian doesn't particularly pay attention to the doctor's compliments, his mind focused on other matters. "Prepared? Yes...I suppose I am, now. Now I've gone out there as Nomad and started this course, I need to stick to it. You don't need to bring more trouble on yourself if you don't need to. I can investigate in a way that you cannot, without involving ASTRO."

Dr. MacLeod nods, "Do what you must, but be wise. Trust no one, Adrian."

Adrian nods as he puts the helmet back on. "I know. I don't know the others well enough to trust them, but our interested are signed. That will do for now." With that, Nomad gets up and teleports away, thinking about what he's learnt.
    Last edited by SwordCoastTaxi; 2021-02-03 at 12:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Paragon Staffing:

John enters the agency and Megan, the front desk receptionist, says, "John! Where've you been?!? Nate (the agency boss) had a good-paying job for you but you didn't show up. This kind of behavior ---"

Nate Rogers, in his business suit, walks from the back, "Megan, it's okay. I'll handle it." Nate was a nice enough guy, but when John interviewed with him, something felt off about Nate. He smiled at John and placed his hand on his shoulder, "I've got a rare opportunity for you that could change your life, John. In a good way. I have an friend with government connections looking for people with your kind of background. I told her about you and she wants to meet. The Starlight Room, at noon. You ready to move up in the world?"

John tries to keep from looking too surprised. "Um, thank you Mr. Rogers, I appreciate the opportunity. Did she say anything about what she was looking for?" John tries to remember if he has anything he could wear to a place like that besides just something clean.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

The Starlight Room: a revolving restaurant atop the downtown Tremont Hotel. Very fancy, with live music.
    Last edited by SwordCoastTaxi; 2021-02-04 at 09:41 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Castle Comics:

As Ellen enters she sees Lee Stanton, head editor, talking to what looks like the full staff in the bullpen.

Lee pauses and looks at Ellen, "Well here she is! Castle Comics' now hottest contributor! Eldritch can change the game for us and gives us the edge on Wonder Comics in New York! I was just briefing everyone about it, that and the possibly of even more new titles. The Freedom League is getting long in the tooth. Sales are lagging. We need new titles with alternative depictions of heroes that hasn't been done before to attract new readers. Where are you with Eldritch?"

Everyone stares at Ellen with curious smiles ....

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Windfall:

Deo gets responses that the video of the Pramas Bridge thing has been deleted by who knows! He gets texts from Frat friends who want to fly to LA and party with sports celebrities. His girlfriend wants to do some shopping downtown. His mother left a message hoping that Deo could meet with the CEO of the family business to discuss operational procedures: Deo needs to learn how to manage the franchise he stands to inherit. One professor texted him asking if he was well ...

11. - Top - End - #71

DrowGirl

"The basic concept is a 'metafiction,' you might say," Ellen explains. "That is, the worlds of the comics are invented by us, to entertain others. Merge that with eldritch horror, and you get the high concept: 'what if your whole life, all the tragedies and pain, was all just some eldritch god's soap opera?' So, basically, he--Richard Love--gets the typical superhero backstory treatment: parents killed in a mugging, grows up, gets stuck in a dead-end job. Well, I guess only the first part is typical. So, basically, he finds out his girlfriend's cheating on him, they fall out badly, he goes home feeling like trash. Next morning, he wakes up with unimaginable superpowers he can barely control. He decides to take revenge for his parents, become a vigilante, hunt down criminals, all while searching to discover the source of his powers. Then one day? He learns. And he doesn't like it. Embittered, almost driven to insanity, he becomes a brutal hero, all while trying to find the point in life, where bad things happen to him because ungodly creatures want them to. They want him to feel pain, because they find amusement in seeing him suffer. Anyway, that's the barebones. Anything needs to be expanded?"

and so are you

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SwordCoastTaxi View Post
    Windfall:

Deo gets responses that the video of the Pramas Bridge thing has been deleted by who knows! He gets texts from Frat friends who want to fly to LA and party with sports celebrities. His girlfriend wants to do some shopping downtown. His mother left a message hoping that Deo could meet with the CEO of the family business to discuss operational procedures: Deo needs to learn how to manage the franchise he stands to inherit. One professor texted him asking if he was well ...
    Deo sighs seeing seeing everything going on. He texts his buddies maybe tomorrow busy with the ball and chain. He text his Mom to set up a time to come in later in the week. He text his professor he is fine and asked why he asked? Finally he sits down to brunch with his gf. . How did you sleep? I can’t shop I have that paper due in Econ, rain check? . Once she understands he is going to head back to the bridge and look around C and then run off steam saving people and stopping crime.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground

Returning home from ASTRO, Adrian takes some time to sit and think, assembling the details so far in his mind. An easy starting point was the media blackout - clearly an attempt to limit the public's exposure to him and the others, with that tower being a major part of their method, but a strategy that seemed doomed to fail. The four of them were hardly subtle presences - he's pretty sure he heard the speedster specifically tell people his name to spread his fame, and the other two had rather striking appearances that people wouldn't forget seeing. Unless...the agent's note comes to mind. They were in danger. What if the blackout was just playing for time until whatever government group was behind this could eliminate them? That would make sense. But why was their presence being unknown so important? Nomad he understood - if MacLeod was right and the government has been developing Fairbright's original work and potentially accessing the multiverse, then he was a direct threat to any homogeny in that regard they might establish. But the others? Were their powers somehow related, or did this group just want any hints of the supernatural and superhuman removed to ensure their secrecy? Does the enemy have assets capable of reliably and discreetly eliminating targets like Nomad and the others, or were they planning on making do with relatively mundane means? While the suit made him a lot tougher and harder to hit than a normal person, he wasn't immune to enough firepower, and presumably the same could apply to the others. Off the top of his head, he could think of a few options that, with his limited knowledge of their abilities, could plausibly be used against the others. He just had to hope the enemy wasn't that good.

There were still holes, gaps in his knowledge that needed filling, but he had plans there. He just needed to decide some things first. With his enhanced mind quickly putting the facts together, most of his thinking is spent on less clear topics - like the others, and whether he could trust them. Sure, they seemed to be all in the same boat, but if they were dealing with a conspiracy he had to consider the possibility of them not all really being on the same side. Well, that could wait for now - at least until the Saint came back with whatever information his meeting gives, if one does happen. That will help him make his judgement call. No need to alienate anyone just yet. As for a plan, the objective seemed clear - that tower was the main point of suspicion, particularly if it was involved in the blackout. It needed to be investigated, and perhaps the others could help there...
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-02-04 at 07:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

The Saint:

Nate says, "Something related to security, and before you pass on it, whatever she needs people for it's paying six-figures. Starlight Room, John. 39th and Foster. If I were you, I'd already be there." Nate smiles and adjusts his tie, then walks for the exit. Megan cuts her eyes at John and goes back to her social media .....

Sparkle Knight:

The staffers seem surprised, mostly by their silence and awkward expressions. Lee nods, "It's a start, and if it doesn't wow 'em, we can go grimdark." He let's a loud laugh and everyone joins in, with many congratulating Ellen on the new series. Stanton gives Ellen a wink, "Can't wait to see your script. But now, it's lunchtime: I have a coupon for a free combo from Champions." He heads for the exit ...

Windfall:

Rushing across Freedom, the speedster encounters a noisy traffic jam in Riverside on First Street. He also hears louder music --- someone is jamming! Checking the scene, Windfall sees Madman Finale, a local alt-rock band popular with the college crowd, has decided to play an impromptu set in the middle of the street outside Freedom School of the Arts!
    Last edited by SwordCoastTaxi; 2021-02-04 at 09:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

The Saint:

Nate says, "Something related to security, and before you pass on it, whatever she needs people for it's paying six-figures. Starlight Room, John. 39th and Foster. If I were you, I'd already be there." Nate smiles and adjusts his tie, then walks for the exit. Megan cuts her eyes at John and goes back to her social media .....
    John coughs and has to put his hand on the wall. "Six...!? I...security? I don't know anything about...yeah, um, I'll get going..." He leaves the office and gets directions from his phone, not even thinking about it he lifts up off the ground and starts flying to the restaurant. Was this because of his abilities? Or...was it his criminal background that had them interested? No, that was impossible, there was nothing to link John Doe to the man he used to be, everything about him was different now. And it's not like he had been a very successful crook, what could he know that was worth six figures?
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2021-02-05 at 02:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Windfall:

Rushing across Freedom, the speedster encounters a noisy traffic jam in Riverside on First Street. He also hears louder music --- someone is jamming! Checking the scene, Windfall sees Madman Finale, a local alt-rock band popular with the college crowd, has decided to play an impromptu set in the middle of the street outside Freedom School of the Arts!
    Seeing this Windfall rushes to the nearest roof changing quickly has he ducks behind something. He texts all the guys and his gf impromptu set by Madman Finale, outside of Feeedom school for the arts meet me there.

After that he texts his Econ professor the one who texted him earlier asking if they could meet later to talk. After hearing back form his crowd he will grab some beer and liquor, do a bump of coke and head down to find his friends.

17. - Top - End - #77

DrowGirl

"All right. I'm feeling a bit peckish myself."

and so are you

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

The Saint:

After his descent, John makes his way to the Tremont Hotel:

The lobby is all glistening marble, sparkling crystal, polished metal and varnished wood. It smelled like elegant perfume and fine cuisine.

Rich luxury. The Tremont Hotel was popular among Freedom City's tourists and a nexus for ambitious socialites.

John navigates the corpulent lobby and with some assistance from the concierge, finds the mirrored elevator to the Starlight Room. At the top level, the doors open and John's greeted by a slender, well-dressed maitre d', "Reservation, sir?"

Sparkle Knight

Lee escorts Ellen out and the two chat about comics and life during the three-block stroll to Champions. Stanton had founded Castle Comics in the 60's and due to his creative genius, tireless dedication and charming personality, turned the company into a major company. Even with the market competition from Wonder Comics out of NYC.

He says, "To my way of thinking, the most important thing is people’ve got to care about the character. They’ve got to understand the character and they’ve got to be interested. If the character's interesting, you’re half-way home."

Windfall:

Deo is having an "intoxicating" blast with his friends as the band rocks, but police sirens sound as FCPD begins arriving a few blocks away --- due to the mid-afternoon traffic jam!

19. - Top - End - #79

DrowGirl

Ellen nods. "The characters are the most important things. I have a pitch--a very rough outline of how the plot's going to go--but until the characters are nice and developed, there's no real story, you know?"

and so are you

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

The Saint:

After his descent, John makes his way to the Tremont Hotel:

The lobby is all glistening marble, sparkling crystal, polished metal and varnished wood. It smelled like elegant perfume and fine cuisine.

Rich luxury. The Tremont Hotel was popular among Freedom City's tourists and a nexus for ambitious socialites.

John navigates the corpulent lobby and with some assistance from the concierge, finds the mirrored elevator to the Starlight Room. At the top level, the doors open and John's greeted by a slender, well-dressed maitre d', "Reservation, sir?"
    "Ah, no, I'm supposed to meet someone here? I don't know who, my name is John Doe if that helps." He is very much aware that he's not dressed like someone who would be within five blocks of a place this nice.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Sparkle Knight:

"I trust your talent, it's just we're all counting on this. Emerald City Knights was a jackpot for us, but we need something fresh," Stanton says as the couple arrives at Champions. As always, it's a party when the resident 'King of Comics' enters a comic-book-themed restaurant --- so lunch is entertaining.

The Saint:

The maitre d' nods and gestures John forward, "Right this way, sir." John's led to a table overlooking the city where a familiar figure sits --- the woman from the street corner this morning!

She stands and extends a handshake, "Thank you for taking the time …. can I call you 'John'? My name is Dr. Eva Crawford."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

He takes her hand. "John, but I assume you know that already. I'm flattered for the job offer, but honestly I'm not sure I'm worth the salary you quoted." He's moderately sure the job offer wasn't legitimate, just a way to get him to take the meeting. "I'm no one special, really."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

The Saint:

Dr. Crawford smiles softly, "According to Mr. Rogers' appraisal, and your background, you might be exactly the worthy person for our position. Please, have a seat."
    A waiter appears almost out of nowhere handing John a menu.

https://www.musthavemenus.com/menu-t....html?cat=7534

"The Delmonico is worth it's weight in gold --- and don't worry, lunch is on me. Indulge yourself." She laughs a bit and awaits John's order as another waiter arrives, places champagne glasses in front of Crawford and John, then pours them full before leaving ...

Windfall:

FCPD continues to arrive, multiple units at either end of the block! Officers begin waving people through the traffic jam, as additional officers confront the band asking them to move on ... which they do, packing up their gear. The fans and partiers begin to disperse ....

Sparkle Knight:

During the meal, Stanton waxes about the 'old days' of Comics', when his focus on characterization and crisis made Castle Comics the pinnacle of all things Comics! The two finish the meal, Lee tips the waiter more than expected, then they exit Champions with his trademark shout, "Excelsior!"

The two walk back across semi-crowded city streets discussing character traits, "You want to present a hero. A good person, faced with impossible odds. Can Eldritch be that person?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

John snaps his head around then the waiter appears, then looks down at the menu, slowly sitting down. "Thank you, but just what is it you would be wanting me to do? I'm not sure what it is in my background you think is worth that kind of money." He orders the salmon, still more than a little confused.

25. - Top - End - #85

DrowGirl

"Hmmm..." Ellen says. "Well, I think so. It's kind of a question of, 'can you really be a hero, knowing that nothing you do actually matters?' The powers, his traumas, his whole life--just entertainment for these cthulu-type gods. So, it's like...does he really want to play the role they want him to? On one hand, he doesn't wish to just play into their hand, but on the other, he has an earnest desire to do the right thing. He just doesn't know what that is, because this sort of situation is totally alien to him."

and so are you

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Sparkle Knight:

Ellen and Stanton walk the crowded streets back to work and notice traffic is jammed up --- typical for midday in the city. As they came to an intersection, they notice police cars parked in the street, stopping vehicle travel on the block surrounding Castle Comics …!

Windfall:

Within minutes, FCPD had cleared the street of partying pedestrians and angry motorists, as the entire block was sealed off by police cruisers! Glancing around, Deo notices among the police officers is that detective from the Pramas bridge that handed the Saint a card looking around the area ….!

The Saint:

After John orders, he notices Crawford staring at him intently. She says, "We don't have a great deal of time so I'll be open: I represent a government agency tasked with aspects of national security. And I know this field doesn't fall within your particular skill-set. But, we provide the finest training in the world, much better than anything Paragon Staffing could offer you. I'm told I have an eye for talent, and yours I spotted from a block away. Have you ever considered making a real difference in the world, John?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

John maintains eye contact as she talks, wondering if she remembers him from earlier, and wonders again if she had somehow caused the incident on the bridge, it was just a little too perfectly timed distraction. "I'm flattered you would considering me for a position like that, but I'm a simple day laborer, surely there are people more qualified than I am that you could ask." He'll play dumb for now, see how much she's willing to admit on her own first.

28. - Top - End - #88

DrowGirl

"Huh...that's weird," Ellen remarks. "What's going on with the police?"

and so are you

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Sparkle Knight:

As she watches the FCPD activity across the street, Ellen sees sudden flashes of light as she's struck several times by --- bullets?!?!? She immediately goes numb and collapses to the ground! Fighting back unconsciousness, Ellen struggles up, wobbly --- the crowd around her scatters as people, screaming and shouting, dash for cover! Trying to clear her head, Ellen sees Stanton sprawled on the sidewalk, possibly unconscious!

Legs groggy and hands shaking, Ellen sees FCPD officers running in her direction drawing weapons and looking around the area wildly --- then automatic gunfire sounds as most of the officers drop! Looking, she sees a man dressed in black fatigues, similar to the Pramas bridge gunmen, emerge from behind her!

She remembers his face --- the detective that handed the Saint a card! Grabbing her shoulder, he shouts, "Move! The alleyway --- I'll cover you --- GO!!!"

He aims upward and unleashes a hail of gunfire in multiple directions!

Nomad:

As he debates his next move, Adrian notices the power in his home goes out! It's midday so sunlight still provides vision, but his computers go down, along with anything else requiring space electricity …

The Saint:

Crawford gives a smile-frown and says, "It seems you could be a wanted man, John. There was a botched heist at a local electronics firm that was …. unusual. The suspect that escaped seemingly disappeared. My department was seeking this person, for the usual reasons. Certain felonies. That sort of thing."

The food arrives and the server asks if you needed anything else. Crawford says, "I don't think so --- anything missing, John?"
    Last edited by SwordCoastTaxi; 2021-02-11 at 08:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

John looks at her silently until his plate is set down. "I thought you asked me here to offer me a job, not to make accusations. I'd say what's missing, is a reason for me to stay. Thank you for the offer, but I'm afraid I'll have to decline." He stands up to leave.