New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [First Party Pathfinder] How to play a nanite shroud?

In a new game, which had a strange concept "You guys are aliens from another planet, play as android, or some such another race." I chose android, and was going to play a Creation + Life sphere caster, fluffing it as nano-tech. I would be spontaneously creating things from seemingly nothing, rearranging atoms in strange ways and stitching people back together.

Unfortunately it was after they invited me to the game that I was told spheres wasn't allowed. Half way tempted to leave the game, but I'll give it a solid effort, if there is some first party class that can roughly do similar things.

I'm certain either cleric or wizard could do it, and then some. But going through those huge spell lists in hopes of an appropriate spell, while knowingly ignoring the flat out better options, is just...painful.

So I was hoping that someone who actually plays first party pathfinder has some knowledge that was already applicable.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [First Party Pathfinder] How to play a nanite shroud?

What, specifically, do you want your nanite shroud to do in-game?

If it's about creating objects, I recommend a wizard with the Conjuration(Creation) subschool. Plus standard zone spells, of course.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Standard zone spells?

And yeah. Basically creating items.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    I'm certain either cleric or wizard could do it, and then some. But going through those huge spell lists in hopes of an appropriate spell, while knowingly ignoring the flat out better options, is just...painful.
    Why? Why is it painful to take a blank canvas, and only paint an elephant, if an elephant is what you really want to create?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    Unfortunately it was after they invited me to the game that I was told spheres wasn't allowed. Half way tempted to leave the game, but I'll give it a solid effort, if there is some first party class that can roughly do similar things.
    I know, right? After getting used to the flexibility of Spheres and the increased ability to fit a concept without kludging, the return just feels so awkward and clunky.

I take a different approach when building Sphere-casters to traditional casters, in fact. With Spheres, I have an idea of their magic "type" and I build to that. With a standard caster, I approach it more as "IC, being fairly knowledgable about magic, what spells do they choose to learn?" That's not suited for your case though.

On the plus side, I don't think you need to choose too much between fitting the concept and being effective. BFC effects are still good, and many of them fit well with a nanite swarm causing them. I'd still take Minor/Major Creation, because the ability to make equipment and poison on demand is useful, but they'd be more of a side niche. Many buff and debuff spells could fit thematically as well, flavored as nanite infiltration into the targets' bodies.

AFAIK, there's no specifically focused class that fits though; your best bet is a standard caster with the right spell choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Why? Why is it painful to take a blank canvas, and only paint an elephant, if an elephant is what you really want to create?
    IDK if it's the same reason, but for me, leaving the better option on the table when I know it's there feels irritating, like a pebble in my shoe. Maybe it's OCD, because I don't have a problem with playing a character who can't take that better option, but there it is.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2021-01-21 at 02:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

You are aware of the Nanite bloodline for Sorcerers, yes?

Pity you aren't allowed third party, there's a couple of nanite based classes for starfinder that wouldn't be too hard to translate, and paizo is coming out with a third but first official nanite class for starfinder, and akashic magic would be easy to reskin as nanites.

The nanoshade ninja archetype for androids makes ninja tricks nanite powers.

But your options are pretty darn limited, since pathfinder was not made to be a science fiction game, which makes this "first party only" an odd restriction.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

How to play a nanite shroud? Go to the top of your character sheet. There should be a spot marked "Race." Place "Nanite Shroud" in that space. You are now playing a nanite shroud!

Hope this helps!