Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Dnd 5e Adventure path?

Asking out of curiosity...

If I was to port an adventure path or campaign into dnd 5e...
    Something like

Hell's rebels
    Darkening of mirkwood
    Curse of the crimson throne
    Rise of the runelords
    Pendragon
    Doomstones
    Legacy of Fire
    Path of the damned
    Serpent's skull
    Giantslayer

Would that be more or less interesting than one of the classic DND campaigns such as

Night Below
    Shackled city
    Tomb of Annihilation
    Curse of Strahd
    Out of the Abyss

This is a preliminary discussion thread. Which would you like most? Which ones make you interested?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Dnd 5e Adventure path?

Hell's Rebels gets my vote. Three years ago I converted Wrath of the Righteous for a 5e group and it was great (I let them pick feats and spells for their mythic powers).

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by SwordCoastTaxi View Post
    Hell's Rebels gets my vote. Three years ago I converted Wrath of the Righteous for a 5e group and it was great (I let them pick feats and spells for their mythic powers).
    Is that the only one that gets your interest?
    This is a survey. Who knows what others would like.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'd love to offer opinions, but I don't know anything about any about a few of them.

I've been watching a Curse of the crimson throne Let's Play for a while now and it's rather bleak for my tastes.
    Otherwise the only ones I'm at all familiar with are Tomb of Annihilation (just that I know it exists pretty much), Curse of Strahd, and Out of the Abyss. The later two I've played the early parts for multiple times before those games fell apart.

Maybe offering some brief detail on what the idea of each is about and maybe tone?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I actually recommend some of the (slightly) less renowned 5e adventures; Shackles of Blood, Harried In Hillsfar, etc.

If you're converting a Pathfinder adventure path, I'd be more inclined to recommend these:
    • Second Darkness. The Drow side is more fun, plus it is a great way to tie in a couple of optional 5e underdark backgrounds, but I don't remember where to find them though)
    • Jade Regent.
    • Skulls & Shackles. If you want pirates, this is perfect.
    • Iron Gods. Use some of those cool futuristic weapons in the DMG (but limit the available ammunition to about one energy cell/magazine per level, per character)
    • The Emerald Spire. It's tough as nails for the wrong party (not having darkvision on the first floor may result in at least one dead character from the start), but it's a wonderfully non-generic dungeon. That being said, it works better as a way to get your party to higher levels between other things than its own adventure path (it can take a group from 1st level to 10th, or it can serve as filler XP for a higher level group -- remember to upgrade the monsters against higher level players so you can boost the XP reward and they'll want to keep going back).

If you've got the heart, mind, and spirit for it, I also recommend converting pretty much any of the 4e d&d adventures. Keep on the Shadowfell is a great full-length adventure for low levels. Kobold Hall is a fun starter module that can be easy on a new group, or if you're running it for veteran players you can amp up the focus fire and skirmishing tactics to make their heads spin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd actually suggest Ironfang Invasion, it is like a love letter to Keep on the Borderlands from the Gygax era. Wilderness exploration, fighting a guerilla war against an occupying force, and given it's proximity to the Fangwood Forest, it is real interesting to tie in some outdoorsy type characters you don't often see ... druids, rangers, barbarians and such.

I've heard good things about Jade Regent so would love to see that. Iron Gods is another one I heard good things about, it reminds me of Barrier Peaks, however, it would likely require some homebrew in regards to the high tech stuff. Could probably swap in Warforged for Androids ...

Either way I will keep my eye on the survey and see what direction we're leaning.

7. - Top - End - #7

Thanks for all commentary.

I like the idea of second darkness myself but I have to accept that it is the adventure path most widely considered... bad. I like saving lost causes though. Then again it would need a lot of work... hum.

Jade regent has severe geographical issues and iron gods is about high tech which I'm not that keen on so even though two of you like those I'm still not going to pick them up while there's so many other options I like more.

I've had good results with 4e adventures in PBP so far. Some of that stuff fits the constraints very nicely.

I like skulls & shackles and Ironfang invasion. Those are definite maybes. Hell's rebels got one vote as well ... and that one was on my original list because I like it.

I'll copy here paizo's descriptions of some their paths:

Rise of the Runelords
    From the idyllically peaceful coastal town of Sandpoint to an ancient lost city at the top of the world, Rise of the Runelords takes a party of adventurers from 1st to over 18th level and delves into the mysteries of Varisia's ancient past. Millennia ago, the powerful empire of Thassilon ruled the land, dominated by despotic runelords who maintained their power through harnessing the power of rune magic. Thought gone forever, the workings of Thassilon are not so far beneath the surface and one of the runelords plans a return to power. Only the brave adventurers stand in his way.

Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The king is dead! In the Varisian port city of Korvosa, the death of a monarch leads to chaos, and only the PCs can hope to save the city from its own darkest tendencies. As the rule of the young queen grows more and more draconian, it's up to a band of bold adventurers to stop the spread of tyranny before all of Korvosa is crushed beneath her iron fist.

Second Darkness
    A strange shadow lurks in the sky above the city of Riddleport, and the doomsayers take it as a sign of the approaching end of the world. The thing is—they're right. But the source of the menace facing Golarion comes not from the skies above, but the Darklands below. The Second Darkness Adventure Path takes heroes on a sweeping quest that begins in a star-struck city, weaves through ancient elven ruins, and unmasks the terrible secret of the subterranean dark elves!

Legacy of Fire
    Long ago, two warring armies of genies fought on the slopes of Pale Mountain, and the world shook under the power of their wishcraft. Today, the armies are wakening, and one potent efreeti warlord is ready to pick up where he left off unless the PCs can stop him! The Legacy of Fire Adventure Path takes the heroes to all corners of the desert land of Katapesh and beyond, with journeys to strange demi-planes and even the fabled City of Brass, home to genies and beings of living fire.

Serpent's Skull
    Race to the lost city! Deep in the southern jungles, a fantastic city of wonders lies ruined and forgotten by the outside world, ripe for plundering and exploration by the heroes. Yet they aren't alone—several other factions, from deadly Red Mantis assassins to the avaricious Aspis Consortium—have also been tipped off to the city's existence, and the race is on to see who will reach it first. Of course, nothing in the jungle is as easy as it seems. For once they arrive, the heroes discover that the city may be lost, but it is not uninhabited...

Skull & Shackles
    There's adventure to be had on the high seas when a group of press-ganged strangers seizes a ship and becomes embroiled in the plots and politics of the Shackles—an infamous island chain dominated by pirate warlords. But as these new swashbucklers make names for themselves, rival scalawags, enemy navies, legendary sea monsters, and the infamous Hurricane King himself seek to see them walk the plank. Who will survive when there's glory to plunder?

Mummy's Mask
    The ancient lands of Osirion are blanketed by the sands of time, and eldritch secrets and vast riches lay just beneath the sun-blistered surface. As modern Osirion opens its vaults and tombs to outsiders for the first time in centuries, many of these lost treasures and secrets are now emerging—some more troublesome than others. Hakotep I, a now-forgotten pharaoh, was robbed upon his burial. A secret sect took his heart and his funerary mask, both containing a portion of his soul. Betrayed the chance to pass on into the afterlife during his burial, Hakotep has existed in a state between life and death for millennia. The recent rediscovery of one of these lost soul fragments has allowed the trapped pharaoh to once again work in this world to redress the wrongs committed against him, and a cult worshipping him as a god-king grows in the heart of Osirion. Can a group of heroes brave terrible guardians, foul cults, and the burning sands of the desert to stop the rebirth of this ancient tyrant?

Giantslayer
    Deep in the Mindspin Mountains, a storm giant warlord known as the Storm Tyrant has seized control of a cloud castle and an Orb of Dragonkind, and is gathering an army of giants from across western Avistan—first to bring the orc hordes of Belkzen under his banner, then to conquer the neighboring realms. Heroes defending the human town of Trunau from an orc raid discover that the attack is just a precursor to the Storm Tyrant's larger plans. Working their way through an abandoned border fort, an ancient giant temple, the tomb of an undead frost giant, and an elite fire giant training facility beneath a dormant volcano, the heroes eventually take the fight to the Storm Tyrant himself inside his flying fortress. Can the giant army be defeated before it can conquer the human lands of the Inner Sea, or will all of Avistan bow down in fealty to the Storm Tyrant?

Hell's Rebels
    The city of Kintargo has a new lord-mayor, but he's not someone interested in maintaining that city's free spirit. Paracount Barzillai Thrune has placed the city under martial law, and his cruel proclamations and sinister plans for the city bode ill. Can a small group of heroes and would-be rebels stand against the might of the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune and the Church of Asmodeus and save their home town from being crushed under the boot of an infernal tyrant? Will one of Cheliax's most powerful inquisitors make the city his playground, or can the rebels known as the Silver Ravens rise up to bring a new era of freedom to the so called Silver City of Kintargo? Join the rebellion! Save Kintargo! DOWN WITH THRUNE!

Ironfang Invasion
    When the PCs witness their hometown of Phaendar destroyed in the first steps of an all-out war of conquest, they begin a quest that leads them from desperate survival to heroes of legend as they push back against the monstrous Ironfang Legion. This ruthless army—helmed by the hobgoblin General Azaersi and empowered by an ancient artifact known as the Onyx Key—intends to claim both Nirmathas and Molthune while the isolated nations bicker with one another. The heroes' quest will take them deep into the fey-haunted Fangwood Forest, to the craggy bluffs of western Nirmathas, and delve deep into the earth to explore the Darklands. Can a small band of refugees grow into champions and push back against Azaersi's horde, or will the Ironfang Invasion give way to an Ironfang nation

Then there's

Darkening of Mirkwood
    The Necromancer may have been cast out of Dol Guldur, but a lingering darkness remains over Mirkwood, a shadow that will grow ever longer as the years draw on - unless a fellowship of heroes step forward and hold back the gloom.

Doomstones is a warhammer campaign based around artifact hunting. WFRP players weren't too keen on it because they thought it was too DND. In fact it's been a common suggestion throughout the years that it should be run in DND system because it's largely about dungeoncrawling. I appreciate classics so I'm including it on the list. It's very easy fare in comparison to some of the others on the list.

Paths of the Damned has been advertised in such words:
    "All is not well in Middenheim Corruption eats at the very heart of the City of the White Wolf, and it's up to your heroes to help root it out Ashes of Middenheim is the first installment of Paths of the Damned, the epic adventure trilogy for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay." Not the best blurb admittedly. It's a series of mostly city based adventures.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Skulls and Shackles is a fun pirate adventure I could get into. Finally my third pick would be Iron Gods because it mixes cybertech with sorcery.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Legacy of Fire intrigues me just because I've never had a game that went to the City of Brass and that's on my gaming checklist of things to do.

I have a feral goblin monk character concept that'd be ideal (I think) for Serpent's Skull. Assuming I don't roll too poorly/we use basic point buy that I don't have good enough stats to justify being a monk. (I'm a little fussy so those MAD classes like Monk, Paladin, and Barbarian don't get as much love from me as they should.)

Skull & Shackles sounds fun. I've got a few merfolk pictures and such I'd be inclined to at least float at you as possible options for this one.

Hell's Rebels makes me chuckle and I can't say I've ever played a rebellion style character.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-01-22 at 01:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm currently working on coverting Skulls & Shackles to Starfinder, but I would love to approach the game as a player assuming some meta-knowledge of the AP is permissable. Ironfang Invasion still has my vote, now I have listened to the Glass Canon Podcast, and they had fun with Giantslayer, so I could certainly be down for that, and as I am playing Shadow of War currently, the idea of the Darkening of Mirkwood is somewhat appealing as well.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think this is a great idea. My first pick would be Legacy of Fire, since I like what I know of it.

Secondary picks for me:
    Rise of the Runelords
    Hell's Rebels
    Giantslayer
    Darkening of Mirkwood
    Last edited by matpal93; 2021-01-22 at 08:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

I gotta admit, I feel obligated to say that any AP set in LotR or Warhammer Fantasy gets an automatic vote from me as someone who has never played any of the RPG systems developed for those games.

Ironfang Invasion sounds particularly interesting. No better guerilla force than a party of PCs.

I vote for Serpent's Skull because, from what I understand, the mounted combat mechanics in 5e are much better than in Pathfinder and I have long wanted to run a dinosaur rider in a game.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-01-22 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Removed Jade Regent suggestion

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

My vote is for Hell's Rebels. I like the idea of an urban rebellion game and it opens a lot of character possibilities for me. Some kind of rogue immediately springs to mind but I'm not 100% settled on anything.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    dinosaur rider
    This is the best character idea I can't believe never occurred to me.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Serpent's Skull, Skull & Shackles, Giantslayer, Mummy's Mask, Giantslayer, and Hell's Rebels sound interesting to me. In order of most interesting to least...

Skull & Shackles
    Hell's Rebels
    Serpent's Skull
    Mummy's Mask
    Giantslayer

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Unavenger's Upick

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hell's Rebels gets a lot of creed

I have a Anti-Establishment Rogue that can make HR epic.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Darkening of Mirkwood sounds great. Any chance to delve into something with proper elves and proper hobbits sounds fun.

Skull and Shackles could be amazing. Pirates are popular for a reason, right?!??!

Hell’s Rebel’s looks cool too. I think I’ve made a couple characters for that AP at some point.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I love Ancient Egypt, so Mummy’s Mask would be great.

I’ve wanted to play RotRL forever, but never make it past the first fight before the game falls apart.

Same with Hell’s Rebels.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show