New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Best way to illustrate floorplans

I'm trying to work on drawing out some layouts and optimizing floorplans on graph paper irl, but I need to know what the best ways to include them on these forums are. Should I make tables, use ascii graphics, post links to uploaded MS paint documents? How do I make something that can be correctly viewed on mobile and desktop? Is there a guide to posting that I've missed?

Thanks in advance.

"You should just homebrew the world's tiniest violin for your bard."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Best way to illustrate floorplans

The easiest is probably to scan the maps, then upload them to an image hosting website and link to or embed them in a post.

Rather than drawing the maps on paper, you could skip the scanning step and go straight to a digital floorplan generator like Illwinter's Floorplan Generator. You would then just need to upload the exported maps to an image hosting website and link to or embed them in a post.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you do include pictures, remember to put them in [spoiler][/spoiler] tags. It makes it much easier to read, even if most modern browsers are smart enough to shrink large pictures.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2021-01-29 at 11:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    If you do include pictures, remember to put them in [spoiler][/spoiler] tags. It makes it much easier to read, even if most modern browsers are smart enough to shrink large pictures.
    All images in posts use the CSS max-width property, which is supported on all modern browsers (scroll down on that link to confirm supported versions). If your browser doesn't support it, you are in dire need of an upgrade for safety reasons. So images flowing over the sides aren't an issue. Although, tall images do take up a lot of vertical space, so you may want to consider spoiler boxes regardless if you are embedding an image.

However, maps are not normally suitable for embedding (at least not if the only thing you do is embed them). Players will normally want to see them full size, so linking to them is usually best. Note: You can both embed an image, and turn that image into a link to view it full size.

However however, keep in mind that large images will slow down the loading of a page (and take up expensive bandwidth on limited connections), and putting them in a spoiler box will not change this (they are downloaded regardless). You should consider linking to large images instead of embedding.

---

In short:
    Consider linking to large images without embedding them. Especially for maps.
    Consider using spoiler boxes for embedded tall images to improve reading flow for your players.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak