New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Hexblade Paladin Race: Tiefling Vs. Aasimar

Looking at making a tanky Hexblade/Paladin Multiclass and am trying to decide which would be a better race:

The Fallen Aasimar or the Zariel Tiefling.

I would use the variant that gives Tiefling wings.

I am basically look at whether Resistance to Radiant and Necrotic, or Resistance to Fire and the ability to fly is the better option.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Chimera

Default Re: Hexblade Paladin Race: Tiefling Vs. Aasimar

Permanent flight is one of the most valuable features you can get.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Yogibear41 View Post
    Looking at making a tanky Hexblade/Paladin Multiclass and am trying to decide which would be a better race:

The Fallen Aasimar or the Zariel Tiefling.

I would use the variant that gives Tiefling wings.

I am basically look at whether Resistance to Radiant and Necrotic, or Resistance to Fire and the ability to fly is the better option.
    The Tiefling with wings is not a Zariel Tiefling. It's a separate option, either/or.

For your question: resistance to fire applies a lot more than to radiant or necrotic, but if you get hit by radiant or necrotic it's often more crucial you don't lose much HP, if you get what I mean. So it's kind of equivalent in term of "it's nice to have".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Any reason why you're picking based on mechanics and not based on what you want your character concept to be? I mean "I was born looking half-devil because I was touched by fiendish power in some way" leads to a very different character than "I was a Chosen One who messed up somehow and ruined it".
    Last edited by Ettina; 2021-01-25 at 05:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Ettina View Post
    Any reason why you're picking based on mechanics and not based on what you want your character concept to be? I mean "I was born looking half-devil because I was touched by fiendish power in some way" leads to a very different character than "I was a Chosen One who messed up somehow and ruined it".
    This. Combat and encouters are only a part of the experience. Pick the race that fits the character you want to be when interacting with others (in a usually less lethal way ;))