New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Psychic Themed Warlock?

This is just an idea I came up with and I just thought I would ask and see if anyone had some suggestions. So I'm thinking of a warlock who is a Psychic/Fortune Teller. Obviously the new psychic themed feats from Tasha's are a must, and Tome probably fits the most (maybe could be reskinned into a crystal ball), however I'm not sure what which patron out of all the ones available would fit.

Any suggestions on which Patron to pick (and perhaps spells as well)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Psychic Themed Warlock?

Quote Originally Posted by werescythe View Post
    This is just an idea I came up with and I just thought I would ask and see if anyone had some suggestions. So I'm thinking of a warlock who is a Psychic/Fortune Teller. Obviously the new psychic themed feats from Tasha's are a must, and Tome probably fits the most (maybe could be reskinned into a crystal ball), however I'm not sure what which patron out of all the ones available would fit.

Any suggestions on which Patron to pick (and perhaps spells as well)?
    GOO: Great Old One. Tome. Ought to fit your concept.
    Spells: Are you starting at level 1?

Dissonant Whispers: Control with some rarely-resisted damage. Plus, it can make the enemy subject to the Opportunity Attack of your ally. I use this a lot (with my bard) currently.
    Tasha's Hideous Laughter: I have used this as a bard. Insanely useful. I used this with my Tome Warlock until level 4 IIRC, then I traded it out and picked a levle 3 spell at 5th level: Fear.

[/QUOTE] As far as I am concerned, these two are 'must picks' at first level.

For Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, and Minor Illusion (but there are so many good choices for your second cantrip)

When I got to third level, I chose Shocking Grasp, Guidance, and Message but there are a lot of great choices. I'd go mind sliver at this point.
    Since I knew we'd be doing a bit of dungeon delving, I took for my first two rituals Alarm, and Tenser's Floating Disc. But there are a lot of other good choices.

For further Spell Picks, I'd drop over to the EvilAnagram's Warlock Guide and take a look at the spells. I have not thought through GOO since Tasha's came out, as my next warlock (if I get to play one) will be a genie pact.

There's a spells only section here you might find handy to review spells.

My current warlock is at level 9 (waiting to play when the DM gets back from RL complications) and I've had Hold Person since level 3. It's solid!. Problem arrives at level 5 with third level spells: so many great choices, so few "spells known" .

Pro Tip: if you get a chance, get your hands on a wand of web. Very handy in many situations to help your party. I am still using mine a lot at level 8.

Invocations: when you get to level 2, I suggest agonizing blast and repelling blast. But there are soo many choices ...
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-01-25 at 04:58 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Psychic Themed Warlock?

I would think it's very flexible, as is the Warlock class itself. If you want them to specifically be a warlock for the source of their powers, I think any patron could reasonably be argued to grant psychic abilities. Great Old One is all about eldritch mind-breaking knowledge, so that would work. Fiend would be okay if you want a more sinister background, and Celestial for the opposite. Hexblade is another good one since you might even have a sentient weapon as your patron.

For spells, Mind Spike and Tasha's Mind Whip are good new ones. Then Mind Spike is another solid choice. Then probably throw on some enchantment or divination spells to suit yourself. However, being a warlock probably means keeping your list mostly combat-focused. If you feel like that isn't working out well, you might want to look at Divination Wizard or the new Aberrant Mind sorcerer from TCE that has lots of cool psychic features and spells.