New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default So, what if Team Evil WAS disintigrated?

For the record, no I don't think that's what happened. But what do you think the Order would do if it was? Suddenly their cosmos-saving quest was just over?

I think there would be a whole lot of standing around head scratching, followed by a big shrug and calling the Mechane back. Then they'd have to figure out what to do with their lives.

I imagine Durkon and Minrah would still want to fulfill Thor's plan for stopping the Snarl for good. Since Redcloak is probably the first priest of the Dark One in who knows how long - possibly ever - who was able to cast 9th level spells, they'd have to make friendly contact with a Goblin cleric and then try to shepard them along enough adventures that said Goblin would become 17th level - without doing evil stuff. Durkon probably couldn't directly adventure with the Goblin for a long time because he's too high level and would lower the challenge rating of encounters too much. I expect he would have to raise said Goblin from the dead a lot at first, though. Hilarity ensues. Maybe Jirix? He seems likely more likely to listen to reason the Redcloak was/is.

Haley and Elan would probably return to the Western Continent to overthrow Tarquin. After many thrilling adventures, they succeed and retire to Tinkertown so Haley can become a dungeon end boss to guard her hoard.

Varsuvius would have the burden of having her mostly likely path of expiating her guilt over the Familicide spell taken away. Perhaps she would decide to go on a mission to gather as many diamonds as possible so she could have a chaotic good priest resurrect the entire Draketooth Clan.

I think Belkar would tag along with Haley and Elan. I really think he doesn't want to just go solo at this point, and overthrowing Tarquin would have a lot of opportunities for mayhem. After they succeed, he joins with Enor and Ganji to become a bounty hunter. When you think about it, it's a perfect job for him, especially now that he seems to have put some points in Survival. We saw in his fight with Crystal that he knows how to take someone down hard without killing them.

Roy would probably be most at a loss, but also relieved that this huge responsibility was taken off his shoulders. Being who he is, he would then look to where he could do the most good in the world. He'd like to help Durkon, but all he would do is mess up the CR for the foes the up and coming goblin cleric would need to face. So he'd probably join Haley and Elan as well. After that, he might help the exiled Azurites, or find some new cause. But he'll always have a gnawing dissatisfaction for not having taken down Xykon himself.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: So, what if Team Evil WAS disintigrated?

It wouldn't really end anything for them. It would solve the immediate threat of Red Cloak moving the gate to threaten the gods, but rifts still pose great danger, that I don't think the team would abandon. As you note, one solution would be to try to find a suitable cleric of the Dark One to shepherd along until they can cast 9th level spells. While doing that, I think they'd also want to see if they can learn how to rebuild the gates as an interim solution, since that's definitely better than nothing, and would hopefully prevent the gods from getting twitchy again. I suspect they'd also want to see if they can understand what's going on with the world within the rift, since they now know they are working with very incomplete information, and Roy at least is suspicious of the gods' motives. And of course Belkar's prophecy is still in play.

Beyond that, Roy would probably want to know if Xykon regenerated again, as neither the order, nor the readers have any idea where Xykon's phylactery is these days.
    Last edited by facw; 2021-01-22 at 01:10 AM.