New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Arcane Firearm and Twinned Spell

Just to finish off this discussion ... the Sage Advice Compendium makes the intent with these spells quite clear.

"When casting a spell that affects multiple targets, such as scorching ray or eldritch blast, do I fire one ray or beam, determine the result, and fire again? Or do I have to choose all the targets before making any attack rolls?

Even though the duration of each of these spells is instantaneous, you choose the targets and resolve the attacks consecutively, not all at once. If you want, you can declare all your targets before making any attacks, but you would still roll separately for each attack (and damage, if appropriate)."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Arcane Firearm and Twinned Spell

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    Just to finish off this discussion ... the Sage Advice Compendium makes the intent with these spells quite clear.

"When casting a spell that affects multiple targets, such as scorching ray or eldritch blast, do I fire one ray or beam, determine the result, and fire again? Or do I have to choose all the targets before making any attack rolls?

Even though the duration of each of these spells is instantaneous, you choose the targets and resolve the attacks consecutively, not all at once. If you want, you can declare all your targets before making any attacks, but you would still roll separately for each attack (and damage, if appropriate)."
    Nice find and makes sense... attack spells generally have separate damage rolls. I appreciated your dialog... RAW has some rough edges.

Meanwhile, this thread has got me thinking of a good Alchemist build (a few posts back)... which is uncommon... I'll put some more thought into it and post it in a different thread.