New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Making maps?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Making maps?

The castle my PCs have in our Eberron game is about to come under siege, so I've had to be drawing maps of the town and general area so they can make preparations...

It took me half a day to make these two things put together, and they look HORRIBLE. I don't suppose anyone has any tips on making maps, or better yet, an app that can make nice ones?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Making maps?

Hand draw them and use a scanner?

Seriously, though, there's a lot of mapware out there. Try this one: Map Tool
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-11-07 at 09:45 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, since my default is pencil/pen on graph paper (or oversized ones on old paper bags), those look probably better than what I'm working with...

Actually, working by hand can get a little bit more of an artistic touch, if you feel you have talent in that field...
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The only thing I've found that's both free and provides adequate results is AutoRealm: http://www.gryc.ws/autorealm.htm . It's still far from perfect, but it works. It's getting more handy the more I work with it, I can't say it's the solution to your problems but it's worth a look.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I use photoshop. It works well once you're comfortable with it and its quick to learn.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I personally like to draw my maps on graph paper. I'm a terrible artist, but when you're drawing your own countries and cities, who's going to say something's wrong? Perhaps that peninsula doesn't look quite the way you wanted it to, but no one else is going to know.
    Currently Running
    The Gavisoria Games: IC | OOC
    The Obsidian Guild: IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I personally like to draw my maps on graph paper. I'm a terrible artist, but when you're drawing your own countries and cities, who's going to say something's wrong? Perhaps that peninsula doesn't look quite the way you wanted it to, but no one else is going to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Hand draw them and use a scanner?

Seriously, though, there's a lot of mapware out there. Try this one: Map Tool
    It's an online game and I don't have a scanner, unfortunately. That map tool looks friggin' amazing though, we can definitely make use of that for combat. I love you.

[quote]The only thing I've found that's both free and provides adequate results is AutoRealm: http://www.gryc.ws/autorealm.htm . It's still far from perfect, but it works. It's getting more handy the more I work with it, I can't say it's the solution to your problems but it's worth a look.[/quote[

And that looks just like what I wanted. I will report back after I've tried both, thanks. :D