New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default do you lose benefits of templates if you no longer qualify for it?

me->polymorph any object->zombie. then i spell-stitched tattoo on myself.
    then the pao ends.
    do i get to keep my slas?
    Last edited by newguydude1; 2021-01-23 at 04:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: do you lose benefits of templates if you no longer qualify for it?

You keep the benefits of a template if you lose the prerequisites for it, but that's not really the situation you're describing here. What you actually want to know is whether any physical or magical changes to your form that occur while you are polymorphed will carry over to you after the morph ends. Entirely different question, and one that is, in fact, moot, because you can't polymorph into an undead unless you are one already, at which point there's no need to resort to such shenanigans, since you can be spellstitched in your normal form.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

How's that?

Regular polymorph is worded in a way that makes it explicit that it only works on living creatures, but polymorph any object works on all creatures, living or otherwise, and on objects.

Since it works on objects, undead immunity to all [Fort] based spells that are not harmless, doesn't kick in.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-01-23 at 05:35 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    How's that?

Regular polymorph is worded in a way that makes it explicit that it only works on living creatures, but polymorph any object works on all creatures, living or otherwise, and on objects.

Since it works on objects, undead immunity to all [Fort] based spells that are not harmless, doesn't kick in.
    i remember this argument.

rules of the game says you can turn into undead and constructs with pao
    normal raw doesnt because no special mention of being able to do so is specified.

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You keep the benefits of a template if you lose the prerequisites for it, but that's not really the situation you're describing here. What you actually want to know is whether any physical or magical changes to your form that occur while you are polymorphed will carry over to you after the morph ends. Entirely different question, and one that is, in fact, moot, because you can't polymorph into an undead unless you are one already, at which point there's no need to resort to such shenanigans, since you can be spellstitched in your normal form.
    slas arent a physical change right?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1 View Post
    rules of the game says you can turn into undead and constructs with pao
    normal raw doesnt because no special mention of being able to do so is specified.
    My opinion is that "normal RAW" is being read overly restrictively. At least, by changing the target of the spell from "living creature" in the less powerful version to "creature" in the more powerful version, we know that the more powerful spell works on Undead.

And when you compare the wording:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/po...hAnyObject.htm

This spell functions like polymorph, except that it changes one object or creature into another.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm

This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature.

it seems fairly unambiguous that the "living creature" restriction, on what you can turn into, is dropped.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-01-23 at 06:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

slas arent a physical change right?
    You don't actually get the SLAs of your morphed form, though.

7. - Top - End - #7

True. You don't even get SLAs with shapechange as standard - only the supernatural and extraordinary ones.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

me->polymorph any object->zombie. then i spell-stitched tattoo on myself.
    then the pao ends.
    do i get to keep my slas?
    Can't use a Zombie. Neither Polymorph nor it's higher-level cousins can do templates. Something like a Wight would be fine, though. Oh yes, and in 3.5, PaO gives you the int of the new form. For a zomie, that's -, so you don't want that form anyway.

In the end, though: "Not specified in RAW, ask your DM"
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2021-01-23 at 11:07 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

What you're trying to ask is, "If I temporarily assume the form of another creature, then that assumed form gains a template, then I revert back to my original form, does my original form now have the template that was applied to the assumed form?"

I would say no, because you revert back to your original form after the spell ends.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You don't actually get the SLAs of your morphed form, though.
    ok so my line of thought is
    pao into intelligent undead
    gain the spellstitched template. i get the slas because i didnt pao into a spellstitched undead. i pao into normal undead. spellstitch is an entirely independent effect unrelated to pao.
    i revert back and keep the spell stitched template because theres nothing in d&d that says you lose your template when your race changes. so id be a spellstitched changeling.

i dont think it works honestly, but im hoping someone might say im right. long shot i know.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Also problematic to the Spell Stitched trick is that your character becomes ineligible to be a PC upon taking it, as it is LA -
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Also problematic to the Spell Stitched trick is that your character becomes ineligible to be a PC upon taking it, as it is LA -
    this isnt true. lots of necromancer threads suggest you spellstitch animate dead.

i looked it up, the la:- is the ghast so that doesnt count.
    but the template doesnt have a la entry. does that default to - or 0? if it defaults to - your right but if not your not.

i mean you can stitch yourself. its in the description. any undead sorcerer can stitch himself. theres a money and xp cost. i think its totally intended for pcs to use.

assuming its la 0.
    how about necropolitan?

necropolitan->spellstitched->some kind of resurrection spell that turns you back to nonundead. is spellstitched lost?

edit:
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-Undead-are-LA
    according to this thread no la means no modification to la.
    Last edited by newguydude1; 2021-01-23 at 04:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Spellstitched is one of those really nice things that I wish players had easier access to.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    as it is LA -
    No, it is not. It has no entry/field at all for Level Adjustment, which, according to the general rules for Template entries/fields, means the template doesn't modify that entry from what the original creature had.

i looked it up, the la:- is the ghast so that doesnt count.
    but the template doesnt have a la entry. does that default to - or 0? if it defaults to - your right but if not your not.

As you say, the LA: - entry is for the sample Ghast, but the actual Template, on page 162, has no entry for LA. The default isn't either LA:0 or LA:- though. The default for Templates is that if a particular entry is missing from the Template, then the Template doesn't change that aspect of the original creature.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Reading a Template (also found on pg 291 of Monster Manual)
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    No, it is not. It has no entry/field at all for Level Adjustment, which, according to the general rules for Template entries/fields, means the template doesn't modify that entry from what the original creature had.

As you say, the LA: - entry is for the sample Ghast, but the actual Template, on page 162, has no entry for LA. The default isn't either LA:0 or LA:- though. The default for Templates is that if a particular entry is missing from the Template, then the Template doesn't change that aspect of the original creature.
    The spellstitched template is from a 3.0 book, which was published before level adjustment was a thing. Figuring out what the LA should be is part of the minor adjustments a DM has to do in order to use 3.0 content in a 3.5 game. In other words, it's up to your DM what spellstitched's LA is, but you can't assume it's LA +0.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    The spellstitched template is from a 3.0 book, which was published before level adjustment was a thing. Figuring out what the LA should be is part of the minor adjustments a DM has to do in order to use 3.0 content in a 3.5 game. In other words, it's up to your DM what spellstitched's LA is, but you can't assume it's LA +0.
    its in complete arcane

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

its in complete arcane
    Oh, I hadn't realized it had been republished in a 3.5 book. I guess it is LA +0, then.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.