New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Well, we're talking about a densely populated renaissance city here, a modern suburban house without a garden would be for a pretty well off merchant or poorer noble, and trying to add the garden would easily push it into the footprint of a small mansion.

For comparison I used the apartment I currently call home, which covers about 80 square meters, which comes down to about 860 square feet, and this is a place I actually call a bit too big for just me.
    Alright, no worries. When you mentioned a set of warehouses, it threw me and I wanted to make sure we weren't talking about two different size scales. I submit to your authority, world-shaper.

Alright. Well, let me sling alternative sizes. How about something that catches the minimum size for my ideal build - 2650 square ft? (I messed up my earlier estimate, apparently throwing in 40 extra 5ft squares for no reason.) And, while I'm forcing you to make me all these quotes, how about one at just 1600 square ft - enough to build the barn, and then build the house as two floors up over that?

2. - Top - End - #962
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, for the 2650, assuming you're buying land where you'll basically need to start from the foundations(and in the slums you might want to check those as well) I'd say about 2-3k in the harbor district or one of the slums, around 4k in more well-off residential districts. The 1600 square foot area. Will come in at 1-2k and 2-3k depending on whether you settle for a slum or middleish class residential district.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Alright, for the 2650, assuming you're buying land where you'll basically need to start from the foundations(and in the slums you might want to check those as well) I'd say about 2-3k in the harbor district or one of the slums, around 4k in more well-off residential districts. The 1600 square foot area. Will come in at 1-2k and 2-3k depending on whether you settle for a slum or middleish class residential district.
    Awesome. Sitting on about 3000gp presently, so the day after the signing of the Treaty of the Alley, Aiden is going to start looking for available land in specifically the crappy, recovering Stormdrains district. It's gotta cover the 2650 square feet, and the crappier the state of the street it's in, the better.

This is the beginning of a goal I'm setting for Aiden - ignite the Stormdrains Renaissance. ;)

4. - Top - End - #964
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Awesome. Sitting on about 3000gp presently, so the day after the signing of the Treaty of the Alley, Aiden is going to start looking for available land in specifically the crappy, recovering Stormdrains district. It's gotta cover the 2650 square feet, and the crappier the state of the street it's in, the better.

This is the beginning of a goal I'm setting for Aiden - ignite the Stormdrains Renaissance. ;)
    Where you planning on going by the eastwharf grannary first to check in there, or stopping by professor hoplum to see how much financial support they are bringing to the table?

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ah. You are of course right! Steps, in order:

1. Congratulate Misha on a job well done and invite her perpetually to breakfast, using rat business as a pretext to dispense generalised fatherly doting.

2. Sleep because it’s evening in game.

3. Regular morning charitable busking

4. Visit the Granary to explain the situation, which is reasonably complex, so that’s definately a scene!

5. Visit Professor Hoplum re: rat monies and also to encourage him to continue his research in this new more ethical way.

6. Probably get a good nights sleep.

7. Scout properties.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-19 at 08:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

You can actually accommodate a horse in a quite small "barn". Basically, a roofed stall that's like 5ft by 10 ft should do at a minimum. But then if you want extra space to store hay, tools, and of course rat lodgings, you'd need more space.

However, I am basing this information off of the fact that a couple horses I am familiar with that have such a small shelter actually have a large field to roam around and graze in.

edit: wait.. where did my post go? I swear, I had made a post yesterday but it's gone..
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-01-19 at 03:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ah. You are of course right! Steps, in order:

1. Congratulate Misha on a job well done and invite her perpetually to breakfast, using rat business as a pretext to dispense generalised fatherly doting.

2. Sleep because it’s evening in game.

3. Regular morning charitable busking

4. Visit the Granary to explain the situation, which is reasonably complex, so that’s definately a scene!

5. Visit Professor Hoplum re: rat monies and also to encourage him to continue his research in this new more ethical way.

6. Probably get a good nights sleep.

7. Scout properties.

That's 1 done. If you want, DeTess, I'm ready to handwave past 2 and 3 and get to the interesting 4 and 5!

8. - Top - End - #968
    Troll in the Playground

That's 1 done. If you want, DeTess, I'm ready to handwave past 2 and 3 and get to the interesting 4 and 5!
    Feel free to do so!

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Cool! I edited in that little jump, so he's knock-knock-knockin on Evan's door, hey, hey, hey hey hey; knock knock knockin' on Evan's door.

And so on.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ahhhhh.

The catharsis of things working out the way I wanted them to is wonderful.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Troll in the Playground

@mrabdiel, I'd say a sizeable sack of grain would set you back about two silver pieces for a 10 pound bag

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

@mrabdiel, I'd say a sizeable sack of grain would set you back about two silver pieces for a 10 pound bag
    Sounds good to me!

13. - Top - End - #973
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bolten is going to check if there are any alloys tied to the Elemental Plane of Air that might help in this case:

Knowledge (Planes) (1d20+7)[10]

14. - Top - End - #974
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    Bolten is going to check if there are any alloys tied to the Elemental Plane of Air that might help in this case:

Knowledge (Planes) [roll0]
    With that roll, not that you know off.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Wow! Who doesn’t love getting paid twice for one job? :)

Now to speak with… erm… ye olde Realtor?

16. - Top - End - #976
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck, is there anything in particular you want to find out while conversing with the crystal this way, or are you just seeing where this takes you?

just a quick warning, it might be a day or two so before my next IC post. I was already dealing with tiredness, and just got my booster shot, so I'll have to see how hard that hits me.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest... I really don't think there's much of anything that I can find out, is there???

Can you conceivably think of anything? Because it seems like all Shandara and Muud can do is exchange emotions, but.. I don't particularly see much being learned here, aside just from the general experience provided from touching these crystals.

Shandara might also make another request of Vaigr which involves studying the crystals in a different way.

So far other ideas I have are:

using detect magic and identify

taking a very close look with magnifiers

asking if she can attempt to scrape off a sliver from the exterior of the crystals for more indepth study of composition

The last bit, not sure how that might go over. Of course, she'd want to frame it in a way that is not demanding or inconsiderate. She really doesn't know what it's like. Could be about as harmless as trimming one's nails or hair. Or it could be as detrimental as ripping off a chunk of skin.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    To be honest... I really don't think there's much of anything that I can find out, is there???

Can you conceivably think of anything? Because it seems like all Shandara and Muud can do is exchange emotions, but.. I don't particularly see much being learned here, aside just from the general experience provided from touching these crystals.
    I can't really think of anything either, but I wanted to check whether you had a cunning plan instead of just shooting down this approach.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck, yeah, I've done and brought up pretty much all the things I could think off for your visit to Vaigr and Banbas, if you want to return to the office and give some input on Banbas and Bolten's conversation, be my guest.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I edited in going back to the office.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

@mrabdiel, I'm fine with skipping over the exact details of exchanging pieces of paper representing gold for pieces of paper representing land.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

@mrabdiel, I'm fine with skipping over the exact details of exchanging pieces of paper representing gold for pieces of paper representing land.
    Woohoo! Alright, great. Then I think he’s gonna do all that, sleep, wake, and head to the property, deed in hand the next day!

23. - Top - End - #983
    Troll in the Playground

@prehsyterical, I was leaving a moment for you to react to Shandara's suggestion, but fi you want Banbas to speak up first, I can do that.

24. - Top - End - #984

Banbas can speak up first, otherwise Bolten would just be repeating Banbas's concerns over flight runes and such.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Awesome. Time to make a house for some rats.

Currently Aiden has 5 of 22 days of labor invested in Misha's armor, but that'll have to wait. Rat hutch is top priority. Clearing the land and building the actual domicile will take a while, so we need something more temporary...

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Create 3 Goods, 2 Labor (100 gp); Time 3 days; Size 2–4 squares

Upgrades To Lavatory, Storage

This no-frills wooden shelter contains a simple table, pallet bed, and stool. One person can build a shack with simple tools and basic materials. For an additional 1 point of Goods and 2 points of Labor, you can construct a brick or stone hut instead of a wooden shack.
    That should do. Aiden can generate 3 Labor points in Carpentry in his sleep (or rather in a solid day of Take-10 work). So here's my plan:

Current day: Take 20 to Search through the rubble all day, salvaging any usable wood. He wants to find anything important left behind by those who fled the fires; and also to save on supplies for the build. Perhaps, parallel to the search, you'll let that count as a day spend generating Goods. Carpentry seems like the right skill to harvest useful lumber from a burned building - if he can get all three points from there, he'll take it; but obviously he's limited by the source and how applicable you decide the skill is to generate goods, rather than merely skilled labor.

Next day: Buy between 0 and 3 points of Goods needed to complete the rat-shack, and spend the day generating 3 points of Labor - 2 to complete the shack himself, 1 'banked', let's say, helping a neighbour by fixing up the boundary fence in exchange for future help on the greater build.

Once that shack is complete, he can fill it with grain, send Misha to alert the rats that it's ready, until the proper thing is up and running.

On the third day, he'll try to pull together a work crew from the unemployed folks in the neighbourhood - but one thing at a time. If that's all sweet to go, DeTess, then I'll post it up; and also I'll throw in my new idea on how to get Aiden to meet the other artificers. Without something as clumsy as a chance encounter, too. ;)

26. - Top - End - #986
    Troll in the Playground

That all looks good. You can salvage the equivalent of 1 goods from the remains of the building. You don't find any keepsakes or other things belonging to those that lived here before. Likely they salvaged all that themselves.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Behold my obvious crossover bait!

28. - Top - End - #988

Been a busy week for everybody?

29. - Top - End - #989
    Troll in the Playground

Certainly has been for me. Though I think you three are currently up, especially Bolten and Shandara? I might be being dumb and missing something though.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I think I did miss your update. But on the other hand, I feel we're just about wrapped up there as well.