New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

In standard gestalt you don't get bab or hit die no. You do however use the best of the bab and HD of your classes. Given that You are gestalting wizard//expert you get the better hd(Expert) and the better bab(also expert), so your bab and HD doesn't change. If you had chosen to gestalt say Fighter you would use fighter bab/hd instead of your expert bab/hd for the first level.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

The Ranger's Guild guild is popping off! What a wild commission! I am loving the exchange between Shandara and Eshanel.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    Oh... That also means we don't gain a hit die or any BAB, right?
    Yeah, as Sonderjye said, you don't . The Gestalt level is basically an upgrade to an exisiting level. You get extra class features, and if you gestalt side has more skills, a bigger HD or more BaB that will improve as well(with the new value replacing the old value), but with wizard added to expert you wouldn't see much of an improvement there.

Edit: Speaking of the captain's comment, what is the Empire's relationship with metallic dragons? I have an idea in mind for how Bolten overcomes the spell level limitations of making clockwork constructs, sooooooo... no ulterior motives at all he lied.
    Dragons as a whole are quite rare. The empire isn't exactly on bad standing with the metallic dragons as a whole, though there are individuals, especially those leaning more towards the chaotic side of the alignment axis that have grudges regarding the empire conquering a pretty big piece of land. There are a couple of places where metallic dragons are known to live. These are often the leader of some kind of monastic order or similar group of people that seek to retreat from the world and pursue perfection in one way or another. These dragons are sometimes sought out for counsel, but they're fairly picky on who they actually wish to see.

@Sonderjye, looks like your design is already coming together. Your assumptions look solid, and the bit about replaying it in real time is most likely the safest way to inject it. It wouldn't necessarily eb impossible to create harry potter style 'liquid' memories, but you'd need to device some sort of capture medium for that, as memories in their natural state are a complex web of impressions and experiences, which psionic crystals are generally best suited to capture and store.

Could you roll me a spellcraft to see how well your execution on this first iteration is, as well as a will save, just in case? I'll answer your questions afterwards.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a bit confused because I asked, "With this new gestalt level, we get more skill points? But the max rank we can have is still 6 right?"

And you said, "Yes, that is correct."

You hadn't mentioned upgrades before, but it actually sounds like we don't get a whole level's worth of skill points but only upgrade the amount of skill points we get if the gestalt class has more.

---

Oh, also! I think I'll be getting a familiar. I kind of like the Thrush one. How would we go about that? Anything to RP with that?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-02-20 at 04:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I'm a bit confused because I asked, "With this new gestalt level, we get more skill points? But the max rank we can have is still 6 right?"

And you said, "Yes, that is correct."

You hadn't mentioned upgrades before, but it actually sounds like we don't get a whole level's worth of skill points but only upgrade the amount of skill points we get if the gestalt class has more.
    Sorry that was me misinterpretting your question. So just for the record, you get the following from the gestalt level:
    • All class features of your new class at that level.
    • If your new class has more skillpoints than the other one, you get skillpoints to make up the difference. So for example, if you got 4+int skillpoints from your NPC class, and now got 6+int from your gestalt class, you'll gain an additional 2 skillpoints.
    • If your new class has a higher BaB, you get that classes BaB instead of that of the NPC class on your track
    • If your new class has a higher hit-die, you gain hp to make up the difference.
    • For each save, you get the higher base save bonus provided by the two classes.

Oh, also! I think I'll be getting a familiar. I kind of like the Thrush one. How would we go about that? Anything to RP with that?
    You could definitely find these birds living in the city. I'll leave it up to you how you go about it. Maybe you find a wounded one that you nurse back to health, or just befriend one that allways sings in front of your window, or maybe something else like that.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck
    If I was able to enlist the aid of two such individuals, I should be able to store the magic into the long sword you wish to be created.
    Or perhaps someone who can pretend to be a 6th lvl divine caster for the purpose of item creation with the right roll. *points at self*

@DeTess,
    Taking 10 on spellcraft for 30.
    Will save: (1d20+5)[23]

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

@sonderjye, your experiment goes off mostly without problems, but you did notice one somewhat annoying quirk during playback, related to time. The playback smeed to randomly speed up and skip over the more 'boring' parts of your breakfast. This was less of a problem when you used both crystals, but still present. You'll probably need to do a couple more iterations on your playback mechanism to make it actually play out in real-time, rather than what the original owner perceived as real-time.

Regarding the questionaires, Your frist fill-in goes as expected, with you remembering most of the details you considered relevant. Trying to fill it in while you're missing the memory is a rather distressing experience though, You know that you had breakfast at some point, but try as you might there's void in your memory regarding breakfast itself. Eventually you start to remember things, but once you check this questionaire against the others, it seems your memory was just taking things from other breakfasts you ate to try and fill the void. This also gives you quite a bit of a headache.

As mentioned before, there are some hitches during rewatching the memory, but rewatching the normal version ends up with you filling in the exact same answers as you did initially. Once you've enhanced it though, you're picking up on a lot more things,, like minor details in texture that you kinda tune out in foods that you're sued to, as well as little distractions, like nearby conversations and noises from outside that you tuned out when originally making the memory. This feels overwhelming, as if you'd taken a potion that significantly enhanced all your senses at once and leaves you with even more of a headache. The answer to the questionaire do seem to be all correct, however.

Regarding the checking of the integrity of your mind and memory, there are facilities to do so on the campus, but unless you're willing to pay (a good 80gp), or show signs that you really need to be checked out (which you don't, unless you try faking them), you're told to make an appointment for about a week from now.

So far you're also down about a 1000 gp in supplies, and you reckon you'll need about 500 more to perfect things.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

What does perfecting things looks like? Fixing the time issue?

Happy to pay the 80gp for getting checked up now. Z is a little worried about the headache.

I assume the 1000+500gp are the crafting cost(i.e. not using the -50% reduction for crafting it yourself but before cost reduction feats)

Also, and unrelatedly, how are dwarves born in this setting? Carved out of stone and breathed life into? Hatched from stone eggs? Born like normal boring hoomans? @Prehysterical your character is a dwarf, got any oppinions?
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-20 at 07:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    What does perfecting things looks like?

Happy to pay the 80gp for getting checked up now. Z is a little worried about the headache.

I assume the 1000+500gp are the crafting cost(i.e. not using the -50% reduction for crafting it yourself but before cost reduction feats)
    The 1000+500 is material costs, but if you've got a way to reduce the costs of materials, you can apply it to these values. Perfecting in this case would mean solving the temporal issues you're seeing in reliving the memories (not as relevant if you want a broad impression, but if you want to try to study a memory in detail it could be an issue), as well as making the whole rig a bit more portable (right now it's separate parts spread across a workbench).

I'll put an IC post up regarding getting yourself checked out.

Also, and unrelatedly, how are dwarves born in this setting? Carved out of stone and breathed life into? Hatched from stone eggs? Born like normal boring hoomans? @Prehysterical your character is a dwarf, got any oppinions?
    They''re probably mostly like normal humans, but if prehysterical has some intersting opinions on this...
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-02-20 at 08:16 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Firbolg in the Playground

Considering that my character was born out of wedlock between a dwarf merchant and a clockmaker, I can assure you that they are very much humanoid with all the associated impulses and baggage.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Um. Seems like I was skipped over. But I understand, we were winding down the conversation. Shandara still hasn't even introduced herself yet..

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Um. Seems like I was skipped over. But I understand, we were winding down the conversation. Shandara still hasn't even introduced herself yet..
    Ah, sorry! I'll correct that in a bit once I'm fully awake.

edit: @elbeyon, could you roll me another perception check for scouting out the hallway and seeing if you can determine some sort of pattern?

@prehysterical, could you roll me a knowledge (arcana) or a spellcraft for your research in magical ways to control your rig and the possibility for a magical power source (one roll for each topic, pelase).
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-02-21 at 04:37 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, right. These rolls would determine if Shandara even knows what she needs.

craft (alchemy): (1d20+9)[14]
    profession (cook): (1d20+6)[21]
    lore (drow): (1d20+13)[30]

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Sure!

I'll include the +1 from trapfinding
    (1d20+19)[22]

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

@Windstruck, one of the more popular intoxicating drinks in the Underdark can be brewed from a blend of local mushrooms. As most of them also have alchemical properties you could get those in more specialized stores. There are a lot of variety to this wine, with different blends of mushrooms used in the fermenting process, as well as different additives. The additives range from particular spices to things like highly diluted spider venom. The additives tend to serve a dual purpose as well, both changing the flavor, but also serving to neutralize a selection of the poisons more commonly used in Drow society.

You remember enough of the brewing process that you reckon you could create a batch yourself. The brewing process is somewhat lengthy (you'd have to start within the next two days or so to be ready in time for the festival), but only requires your direct input at a couple of points, so you could easily work on something else at the same time.

@Elbeyon, careful testing on the first row of tiles in front of you reveals that all of them have some kind of pressure plate or mechanism below them, as they start depressing slightly when pressure is put on them), though you can't access the mechanism without some way to remove the tile. However, you note that of the 5 tiles, 2 (the one on the far right and the one one tile from the left wall), have slightly more resistance to being pushed down. You're not certain whether this is an indication of them being trapped, or of them not being trapped, however.

There is absolutely no sign of any mechanism to turn off the traps at this end of the hallway.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, and considering that it's a "novelty drink" contest, do you think there's anything Shandara can think of that might be rare or bizarre, even where she was from? But hopefully not too dangerous or made with too many suspicious or illegal components.

(Yeah sorry, as much as I wanted to play a drow, it's not like I was all too deep into the specific lore itself. Maybe I could make something up that is plausible?)

The part where you mention many additives neutralize poisons is actually a very good touch. It totally makes sense!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-02-21 at 06:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, and considering that it's a "novelty drink" contest, do you think there's anything Shandara can think of that might be rare or bizarre, even where she was from? But hopefully not too dangerous or made with too many suspicious or illegal components.

(Yeah sorry, as much as I wanted to play a drow, it's not like I was all too deep into the specific lore itself. Maybe I could make something up that is plausible?)
    You definitely can come up with something nice that sounds plausible. To give you some ideas though, there are some varieties on the drink with mild (or less mild) psychedelic effects, generally by either getting specific mushrooms into the mix, or through additives of spider venom. There's also a version that due to a particular blend of ingredients is rather non-uniform in it's alcohol content. You could pour a bottle out in a number of identical glasses, but some would be as potent as a light beer, while others would kick like heavily distilled drinks.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-02-21 at 06:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I'll be trying to think of something.

And do you want to do anything in Raspugobble's Emporium, or nah?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I'll be trying to think of something.

And do you want to do anything in Raspugobble's Emporium, or nah?
    I'll be keeping them in mind if anyone ever needs something truly shady, but nothing interesting springs to mind for right now.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's a few design ideas

Spoiler: Designs
    Show
    Design 1a: A big blue crystal that are able to copy memories from other crystals into it for storage, able to copy memories stored in it into other memory crystals(henceforth refered to as mnemonic crystals), and able to delete some memories stored in it to get more space. It can copy a memory, either from a crystal into storage or from storage into the crystal, once every 5 minutes. It is also capable of overwriting memories in existing memory crystal
    Design 1b: As above but instead of one big crystal it's multiple interconnected crystals.

Design 2a: A magical lense that allow a user that currently is experiencing a memory from a memory crystal to change the process of that experience. They can speed up, slow down, pause, skip, decrease and increase the detail(i.e. to reduce sensory stress) both of the overall experience and of specific parts.
    Design 2b: As 2a except it allows the editing of a memory that is currently stored in a memory crystal.

Design 3a: A device that is attuned to a specific skill upon creation. It is able to scan memories stored in mnemonic crystals and uses clairsentience to identify which part of the memory that are relevant to the attuned skill. Can be used along with 2b to edit a memory down to a memory that only contains important knowledge about some skill.
    Design 3b: As 3a however instead of searching a memory in a memory crystal it searches for important memories in the mindscape of a person.

Design 4: A fuzzy, somewhat sugary drink that have been infused with (cheap?) crystal as part of the brewing process. It is safe to drink, fairly bland in taste, can store memories as if it was a memory crystal(though it doesn't contain any memories upon creation and have to have memories put into it such as by design 1), and the consumption of it allows one to experience the memory stored in it through.

I am using mnemomancy, derived from mnēmonikos - the greek word for memory - same origin as mnemonics if you're familiar with that, to describe memory magic. I think I'll try to use similar terminology later for inventions because I think it sounds more fancy.

WindStruck, if design 4 works and I can infuse memories into fuzzy drinks, would you be more exciting about collaborating on a drink or competing against each other in the drink contest? Z is pretty object oriented and knows virtually nothing about how to get something to taste good.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-21 at 08:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Uh.. I'm not feeling up for that, for multiple reasons. Mainly, because I was just doing my own thing on this little side project, and Shandara isn't going to want to deviate from her plan once she starts it. And I mean, just putting memories in drinks seems like a little much, imo. Makes me wonder, where do these memories come from? From whom and about what?

A lot of extra weirdness and collaboration, when all Shandara wanted to do was try recreating a drink from where she was from. Sorry.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm interpreting that as you're not interested in collaborating, rather than you're not excited about collaborating and also you're not excited about me participating in the competition. And that's fine, you do your thing.

To answer your question I didn't have any particular memories in mind. Drows are colloqually connected to spiders so perhaps a flash of an exotic spider. Or perhaps a glimpse of some majestic drow construction or something else that's prototypical of drow culture, in either case we'd base it on a memory of Shandara or hunt down another drow in the city. Though it would have to be palatable to the culture of Vaungate.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-21 at 10:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

@Sonderjye,

Design 1a and b could both work, but b would be more cost effective, but also a bit more complicated to build. There's something about memories that make them easier to move around than to directly copy, so you will have to work on a method to retain the memory in the original crystal while only transferring a copy to the storage crystal(s).

2a is definitely possible, and you've already got some concrete ideas for it based on your current design. Since time elapsing seems based on the experience of the one that made the memory, you think there should be ways to fake a 'bored' or 'interested' state for speeding up ans slowing down. Pausing should be fairly easy as well, skipping with accuracy would be more difficult. If you can find a way to split the subconcious part by sense you could also design a way for a user to activate or deactivate the extra information of the senses you're looking for.

2b is theorethically possible, but editing a memory, especially in a way that looks somewhat believable is going to require far more effort than just rewatching one (it's the difference between making something that can play a film, and designing something that can edit it, and unless you have a massive database of memroies to draw on, you'd need a way to create new bits of memory from nothing). This is definitely something that's more long-term.

3a and 3b are likewise theorethically possible, but more difficult to achieve. If you where to ask your new elvish friend he'd explain that the way their methods work allow them to see the integrity of the mindscape as whole, but they can't really see the contents of any individual memory, beyond getting a rough impression of how long ago it was made, and how big the memory is. Your device can capture specific memories because you personally push the memory in question the forefront. You'd need a fairly quick method that could actually read someone's mind and then determine which bits of a memory are relevant, and which aren't, which isn't exactly trivial.

You've got some ideas about how you might be able to store basic impressions (like tastes, or sights, or smells) this way, but a potion with a more complete memory, while possible, won't ever be cost-effective enough to be able to sell it as a novelty drink ( or at least, not for the next couple centuries).

24. - Top - End - #294

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    @prehysterical, could you roll me a knowledge (arcana) or a spellcraft for your research in magical ways to control your rig and the possibility for a magical power source (one roll for each topic, pelase).
    Sure thing. Considering that the modifiers are actually identical, it doesn't matter which one.

Control: (1d20+12)[21]
    Power: (1d20+12)[29]

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

@DeTess,

Thanks!
    A few points of clarification:

If I'm understanding it correctly the reason you give for why design 3 doesn't work(that the mindscape is vast and I'd need a very quick method of scanning deep memories) is only for why design 3b doesn't work. It doesn't seem relevant to design 3a since in that case I only have a single memory. Does design 3a work then or do I need to specifically explain how it figures out which parts of the memory is relevant

For the fuzzy drink, when you say impression that seems to include senses. Does it also include the internal feeling of the donor of the memory? Additionally, how much is a single impression drink, a double impression drink, and a drink with the entire memory?
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-21 at 10:34 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

@DeTess,

Thanks!
    A few points of clarification:

If I'm understanding it correctly the reason you give for why design 3 doesn't work(that the mindscape is vast and I'd need a very quick method of scanning deep memories) is only for why design 3b doesn't work. It doesn't seem relevant to design 3a since in that case I only have a single memory. Does design 3a work then or do I need to specifically explain how it figures out which parts of the memory is relevant
    You are going to have to come with some way to decide which parts of a memory ar relevant, and I'm not entirely certain it's actually possible to reduce things like that for a skill, especially on crafts (you may surprise me with an insight I hand't thought of though).

For the fuzzy drink, when you say impression that seems to include senses. Does it also include the internal feeling of the donor of the memory? Additionally, how much is a single impression drink, a double impression drink, and a drink with the entire memory?
    So an impression is just a single thing. Like a taste, or a sight, but without any further things associated with it. It could also be an emotion, like a feeling of awe or the like. For a drink that holds a single impression, think a couple of GP (about 5 in materials), but that's without the memory infused, which might be a lot more valuable.

A drink with a full memory is going to be significantly costlier ( probably a couple 100 GP), and you're going to have to figure out a way to keep something as complex as an entire memory intact and viable inside of a liquid.

@prehysterical,

for the control system, it'd definitely be possible to make something that reacts to the force the baron can still exert, though as you noted, that's not really futureproof. Something like a crown that reads his intentions might be ideal, but you're not really sure how to go about making that. You might want to see about getting some help from an expert in that area if you want to go that way.

'Manual' controls for fine movement in a small control box that can easily be closed off would probably be the simplest, and you think you could probably create some pre-programmed things that could be implemented with a single button (things like walking straight ahead, climbing a stair, sitting down or standing up and the like).

For powering it all, animating the entire thing with magic would be quite expensive, both in amterial's needed and required power, but given your knowledge of clockwork, you don't really need to do that. What you'd need is essentially a fairly simple effect that can keep the gears turning or a spring wound. A decent size gem could probably hold enough power to do that, and recharging it could be done entirely on ambient energy. There are several standard designs for turning magical energy into physical force, and you reckon you can probably make those quite small. The most ideal material for this is an exotic gem known as Ghost's Crystal. depending on the way these are cut they turn any magical energy infused into them in a force on the crystal itself, so you could get one cut so that it'll rotate clockwise when infused with energy, thereby getting you the movement you need. ghost Crystal is quite expensive, but you reckon you won't need that large of a piece if your gearwork is sophisticated enough so only the bare minimum of power is needed to get it all moving.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

It's not like I care one way or another if you want to participate in that competition, but I just didn't feel like a colab.

By the way, maybe your memory could just be of some other drink. Maybe the best drink you ever had, or just something at a certain place when you were in a certain mood that gave you a specific feeling. Some kind of nostalgia.

That's just an idea I'm offering as a player.

Shandara really doesn't have any memories she wishes to share.

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    @prehysterical,

for the control system, it'd definitely be possible to make something that reacts to the force the baron can still exert, though as you noted, that's not really futureproof. Something like a crown that reads his intentions might be ideal, but you're not really sure how to go about making that. You might want to see about getting some help from an expert in that area if you want to go that way.

'Manual' controls for fine movement in a small control box that can easily be closed off would probably be the simplest, and you think you could probably create some pre-programmed things that could be implemented with a single button (things like walking straight ahead, climbing a stair, sitting down or standing up and the like).

For powering it all, animating the entire thing with magic would be quite expensive, both in materials needed and required power, but given your knowledge of clockwork, you don't really need to do that. What you'd need is essentially a fairly simple effect that can keep the gears turning or a spring wound. A decent size gem could probably hold enough power to do that, and recharging it could be done entirely on ambient energy. There are several standard designs for turning magical energy into physical force, and you reckon you can probably make those quite small. The most ideal material for this is an exotic gem known as Ghost's Crystal. depending on the way these are cut they turn any magical energy infused into them in a force on the crystal itself, so you could get one cut so that it'll rotate clockwise when infused with energy, thereby getting you the movement you need. ghost Crystal is quite expensive, but you reckon you won't need that large of a piece if your gearwork is sophisticated enough so only the bare minimum of power is needed to get it all moving.
    Cool beans. Is there a section of the Society that deals with things like telekinesis and other "mental magics" or should Bolten head over to the Psionics Department?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Cool beans. Is there a section of the Society that deals with things like telekinesis and other "mental magics" or should Bolten head over to the Psionics Department?
    The psionics department could help, as could the artificery department. You could also put up a notice on the commission board for some help.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: GM Note
    Show
    psst. Since I've gotten my first level in wizard, Shandara knows alarm, and while it only will last 2 hours for now, she'll cast the silent mental alarm on her house before she goes to the archives.