New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Bolten could finish both projects, provided he can get his hands on half a dozen capable assistants. He won't be able to do both on his own though.

Edit: @elbeyon, could you roll me a disable device and a strength check? If you brought a crowbar it applies to the strength check.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-03-02 at 06:41 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

In that case, is Bolten going to have to rent a larger space? Or will his own facilities be sufficient?

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Like how much is it going to cost to hire all these workers as well? If there really is a time crunch for all of us, there's no harm hiring out someone else to craft the stuff we need done, right?

Um. OH. By the way. The estimate cost I gave the ranger captain? It's actually off by 4,000 gp.

I thought the price for an effective +2 magic weapon was only 4,000 gp, but that is the cost of armors. A +2 magic weapon costs 8,000 gp. SO... the total for this sword is actually around 17,000 gp, not 13k.

I figure since this is just a lapse on my part, maybe we can just say Shandara gave the right price? Or does it even matter?

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

@DeTess Sure!
    Disable Device. I included the +1 from trapfinding.
    (1d20+23)[40]

Strength Check. Zeal has an anytool so she can make a crowbar on demand! I included the +2 from the crowbar. If it matters, Zeal has stonebreaker acid as well. It specializes in melting through stone.
    (1d20+2)[11]

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    In that case, is Bolten going to have to rent a larger space? Or will his own facilities be sufficient?
    I don't think they are, unless you got an unusually large workshop. Workshops on the campus are generally free to use, but for a project like this you'd need to actually reserve one for your use for a couple of weeks, which'd set you back 15 gp a week. You'd also be looking at somewhere between 2 and 10 gp per day for the people you'd need to hire, the number depending on exactly how skilled you'll be looking for (2gp would be students in relevant fields, 10 would be roping in craftsmen near your own level).

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Like how much is it going to cost to hire all these workers as well? If there really is a time crunch for all of us, there's no harm hiring out someone else to craft the stuff we need done, right?

Um. OH. By the way. The estimate cost I gave the ranger captain? It's actually off by 4,000 gp.

I thought the price for an effective +2 magic weapon was only 4,000 gp, but that is the cost of armors. A +2 magic weapon costs 8,000 gp. SO... the total for this sword is actually around 17,000 gp, not 13k.

I figure since this is just a lapse on my part, maybe we can just say Shandara gave the right price? Or does it even matter?
    Let's assume you quoted the correct amount the first time (and you can edit your post to reflect this). I'll edit the response to reflect this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbeyon View Post
    @DeTess Sure!
    Disable Device. I included the +1 from trapfinding.
    [roll0]

Strength Check. Zeal has an anytool so she can make a crowbar on demand! I included the +2 from the crowbar. If it matters, Zeal has stonebreaker acid as well. It specializes in melting through stone.
    [roll1]
    The mirrors are really flush against the wall, with seems that are nearly invisible. That is no match for your tools though, and you can easily make a big enough opening to get your crowbar in for leverage. However, the mirrors are also attached really well, and you can't get more than a tiny bit of movement out of this one. However, that did show you something useful. Though the movement had no effect on the fascination enchantment on the mirror you where working on, the unidentified conjuration effect turned off as soon as the mirror moved more than a couple of millimeter. It's not gone, just completely dormant. There is probably some kind of safety function that turns it off when the mirror is being moved.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

I have no idea how to pay the orc per extracted memory. Any suggestions? 10gp?
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-03-03 at 02:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    I don't think they are, unless you got an unusually large workshop. Workshops on the campus are generally free to use, but for a project like this you'd need to actually reserve one for your use for a couple of weeks, which'd set you back 15 gp a week. You'd also be looking at somewhere between 2 and 10 gp per day for the people you'd need to hire, the number depending on exactly how skilled you'll be looking for (2gp would be students in relevant fields, 10 would be roping in craftsmen near your own level).
    So, assuming that Bolten rents out the necessary facilities and hires competent craftspeople for 10 gp a day, how do you want me to the dice rolls for the weapon and the legs?

I imagine that I have to make a Craft (Clockwork) check for the schematics of the legs themselves, but am not sure what is needed beyond that.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    I have no idea how to pay the orc per extracted memory. Any suggestions? 10gp?
    You can discuss that with him once the first tests has been done. He hasn't mentioned a reward yet.

So, assuming that Bolten rents out the necessary facilities and hires competent craftspeople for 10 gp a day, how do you want me to the dice rolls for the weapon and the legs?

I imagine that I have to make a Craft (Clockwork) check for the schematics of the legs themselves, but am not sure what is needed beyond that.
    Just because I wasn't entirely clear yet, it's 2-10 gp per person per day.

As for rolls, I'd like a craft(clockwork) for the design, a craft (weaponsmithing) or similar for the sword, and depending on what level of craftsmen you hire a choice of a relevant profession skill, diplomacy or intimidate. If you're spending the full 10 gp per person you can skip that roll. In that case you'll have people on nearly the same level as your own, and you won't need to spend too much effort managing them.

@Elbeyon, there are indeed quite a few mirrors. I assume you'll be trying to slightly offset all of them to turn off the teleporting effect? In that case could you roll me another disable device to see how fast you can progress. Also, what'll be your strategy for avoiding looking in the mirrors to avoid triggering the other effect when you advance further down the hallway?

9. - Top - End - #369

Yeah, that's pretty pricey, but Bolten's got money in the bank and this is a necessary expenditure to get the projects done before the festival. He will go ahead and rent the space and hire as many skilled workers as needed to get the job done. He can call it a manufacturing expense. (This will need to be included in the quote that he gives Eduard. Also, just as a reminder for you and me, DeTess, Bolten gets a 5% discount when manufacturing magic items. Doesn't affect the crafting time at all, just the cost of the materials.)

For both Craft checks, Bolten will be casting Crafter's Fortune to get a +5 bonus (luck, I believe) on the checks. For the legs, I am assuming that they count as a Wondrous Item instead of a Construct for the purposes of crafting time progression.

Craft (Clockwork): (1d20+26)[28]

Craft (Weapons): (1d20+22)[25]

Wow... A 2 and a 3... Good thing the modifiers are stacked.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-03-04 at 08:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

I believe modifiers would technically be higher due to all the help?

11. - Top - End - #371

Not for the schematic, but probably for the weapon. Still, that's only another +2 on top even with Aid Another from the assistants or the Cooperative Crafting feat...

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

It should be +2 for each assistant helping, up to a certain point.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

@prehysterical, those are some... unfortunate rolls XD

I checked though and crafting a masterwork sword, even if I add an ad-hoc extra 5 to the DC for the difficulty of working the material still doesn't go over DC 25, so that's fine.

For the legs though, you're running into a bit of designer's block. You're a good 80% of the way there on the design, but the final bit is eluding you, and time is starting to run out. Choose one (or suggest another interesting consequence):

1. compromise on the control system. Getting the mental control to run is difficult, and you can easily finish the design if you drop that aspect.

2. Compromise on the power system. You can't get the gears to work quite as efficiently as you need it to. You either need more ghost crystal and a bulkier housing to run the system, or the legs will have only enough power for about 3 hours of continuous locomotion per day.

3. compromise on the aesthetics. Getting everything as small as you wanted proves too much of a challenge. The legs will eb quite a bit bulkier than initially envisioned because of this, and graceful movement is off the table.

4. Take a gamble. You're certain enough about what you've got so far that your employees can being production while you finish the design. You make another roll (DC30, but you can't take 10 unless you can do so under pressure). If you fail that roll though, you're either going to have to settle for two of the above compromises, or miss the deadline.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-03-05 at 11:21 AM.

14. - Top - End - #374

Since I am guessing that this is over a period of time, would Bolten be able to use Crafter's Fortune on this next check? That will influence my decision.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

Since I am guessing that this is over a period of time, would Bolten be able to use Crafter's Fortune on this next check? That will influence my decision.
    Yes, you can.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

@Elbeyon, there are indeed quite a few mirrors. I assume you'll be trying to slightly offset all of them to turn off the teleporting effect? In that case could you roll me another disable device to see how fast you can progress. Also, what'll be your strategy for avoiding looking in the mirrors to avoid triggering the other effect when you advance further down the hallway?
    That is exactly the plan!

I'm not sure something like Smoke Googles or Vigil Cap is sufficient. If the periscope doesn't count as directly viewing the mirrors, I would say a (sadly) silly option is to only use those mirrors to see and block the other eye. Zeal basically needs something that is 100% effective for avoiding looking at the mirrors as she surrounds herself. A blindfold is simple and effective, and she can use detect magic to guide herself. Since the mirrors are so flush a little stonebreaker acid to open a small pit for the crowbar will likely speed things along.

Disable Device, including +1 Trapfinder
    (1d20+23)[37]

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure something like Smoke Googles or Vigil Cap is sufficient. If the periscope doesn't count as directly viewing the mirrors, I would say a (sadly) silly option is to only use those mirrors to see and block the other eye. Zeal basically needs something that is 100% effective for avoiding looking at the mirrors as she surrounds herself. A blindfold is simple and effective, and she can use detect magic to guide herself. Since the mirrors are so flush a little stonebreaker acid to open a small pit for the crowbar will likely speed things along.
    So which of those options do you settle on? Just how well you'll be able to see does affect the speed of your progress.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

So, Shandara will be visiting a bank (maybe the same one Zeal is breaking into!) but yeah, probably won't interact with her in any way or even hear about anything. Then she'll be needing to buy some gems...

Do you want to RP anything, or shall I just cut straight to making some crafting rolls?

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

So, Shandara will be visiting a bank (maybe the same one Zeal is breaking into!) but yeah, probably won't interact with her in any way or even hear about anything. Then she'll be needing to buy some gems...

Do you want to RP anything, or shall I just cut straight to making some crafting rolls?
    Probably not the same bank, as the one Zeal is visiting isn't open yet. If there's anything in particular you want to try and do or play out we can RP it. Otherwise, you can skip ahead to the crafting rolls. i want to see a roll for the gemcutting (craft jewelry, or similar) and a roll for the enchanting (spellcraft).

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm guessing greeting bank tellers and going through all that process, and finding, inspecting, and haggling for gems aren't really all that exciting.. unless there happened to be any particular npcs you wanted me to meet or other events. I wouldn't mind.

Still, I guess I'll just roll.

Shandara can use her magewright spells to get quite a hefty bonus to her craft checks. And I'll assume she uses them repeatedly when working on the gems.

craft: jewelry (1d20+25)[26]

And then for enchanting them, it would be nice if she could refer to stuff in the archives, like how she had planned out the enchantments for the sewer pipes before, though I guess there may be limitations to this. Still, she'll use investigative mind to help out.

spellcraft:

(1d20+16)[36]
    or
    (1d20+16)[18]

We can add +2 to these if utilizing the archives is possible.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting.. a 1, a 2, and a 20...

I still hope 26 is passable for making those gems.

22. - Top - End - #382

In that case, I will take Option 4.

Craft (Clockwork): (1d20+26)[43]

That's more like it.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-03-06 at 09:46 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck, You've got a few doubts about your cutting of the positive energy gem. However, during the enchantment phase you figure out a way to add some enchantments to strengthen that gem in particular without needing to acquire more materials, so you're still confident in the end result.

@prehysterical, yeah, it takes a couple more days of hard work to finish the design, but eventually it works as envisioned.

I'll leave the write-up for your work up to the both of you. Between designing and enchanting them you're busy for quite a while though, with both projects finishing up about 3 days before the harvest efstival. Which reminds me, @windstruck, could you roll me a further two craft (cooking) checks as you finish off the fermenting process of your drink, add the extra ingredients, filter it before bottling, etc.? You may take 10 on those.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

So which of those options do you settle on? Just how well you'll be able to see does affect the speed of your progress.
    Zeal's priority is not triggering all the sight traps. Speed is next, so whatever method gives her a sure shot while allowing her to move the fastest.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Zeal's priority is not triggering all the sight traps. Speed is next, so whatever method gives her a sure shot while allowing her to move the fastest.
    Blindfold it is then. Of the proposed options, that's the only one that's guaranteed not to trigger the sight traps.

Working through the entire hallway takes quite a bit of time, but eventually Zeal makes it to the other side without getting affected by the magical traps. Beyond is a large rooms with walls covered with smaller vaults. However, just as you arrive, you hear a faitn crackling noise followed by some muffled cursing coming from upstairs.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'll just take 10 on the cooking checks. It's not like Shandara is trying to be a master brewer here and try something innovative. She doesn't have the time to experiment, and she's just sticking with what she knows. Her goal is just to make a decent enough drink, and hope it's just exotic enough on its own merit.

So taking 10s will make 16.

Also, I don't think I actually made rolls for Bolten's project (the ghost crystal gears). So I guess here's another craft check for that, and hope I don't roll a 1 again.

(1d20+25)[33]

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

I think I'll just take 10 on the cooking checks. It's not like Shandara is trying to be a master brewer here and try something innovative. She doesn't have the time to experiment, and she's just sticking with what she knows. Her goal is just to make a decent enough drink, and hope it's just exotic enough on its own merit.

So taking 10s will make 16.
    Allright. A quick taste chec on teh end result shows that it tastes exactly as you remember. It seems decent enough.

Also, I don't think I actually made rolls for Bolten's project (the ghost crystal gears). So I guess here's another craft check for that, and hope I don't roll a 1 again.

[roll0]
    Yeah, that'll do the trick. Ghost crystal is a bit tricky to cut, but the most difficult part is that it needs to be done without any sort of magic tools or magic aid, because it tends to absorb that magic and start moving under it's own power.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

I am waiting for the next day so I can continue crafting. It does work out nicely with how the deadline for a big project is Tuesday so I don't mind. Just wanted to share about the silence on my end.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-03-07 at 07:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that'll do the trick. Ghost crystal is a bit tricky to cut, but the most difficult part is that it needs to be done without any sort of magic tools or magic aid, because it tends to absorb that magic and start moving under it's own power.
    So I guess the spells Magecraft and Crafter's Fortune didn't mess them up?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

So I guess the spells Magecraft and Crafter's Fortune didn't mess them up?
    Crafter's fortune would only affect you, so that's not an issue. Magecraft would be, but even disregarding that bonus you rolled high enough to make the item.

Sorry, I should have explained that aspect a bit earlier. I hinted at it in the description, but I should've mentioned it before the roll -_-
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-03-07 at 11:58 AM.