New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

That is quite a legendary roll from Bolten... I'm sure he will do well. Until problems arise, as was mentioned could happen before!

Zeal's post is.. amazing, haha! Adorable and makes me want to chuckle. Up until the point where the plague doctor costume scares everyone away!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess
    That can definitely help. Another part will be treating the symptoms. Finding herbs and other substances that can help against the disease's symptoms could help with creating a treatment that's particularly effective, though finding a way to combine those without them losing effectiveness or getting nasty side effects will be a significant part of the challenge.
    So adding ingredients that gives bonuses against the symptoms makes a treatment more potent against that disease? In other alchemical concoctions, what usually keeps things together, makes it so they don't lose effectiveness, and avoids side effects?

I'd say you could use a heal or knowledge(nature) check when studying victims of the disease to try and get a proper feel for what it does and how it affects people (and therefore what you need to do something about), and talking to a knowledgeable NPC is always a good idea. The setting is still a couple of steps of development away from proper double-blind studies and vaccines and the like. A treatment either helps a significant portion of those affected, or it doesn't, the testing fase generally consists of checking that your concoction doesn't have any (immediately apparent) problematic side effects, and that it does what it needs to do.
    Ah cool, perfect.

Also, can I just say that I already hate Ronce? He's just so slimy. So if you ever want to try and do something about him, I'm all for it :P
    Haha, I feel like you're really playing him well. Doing something about him is definitely on the table for later but I'll need to be good enough to get by without him first :P

@Armonia13, I made a post just now and will go to bed soon. I wasn't sure if you just wanted to do your own thing for now so if that's the case just let me know and we'll use the alternative scene I have in the IC spoilers.

@Prehysterical, I just had a thought for later. Clockwork grafts would be really neat.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    @Armonia13, I made a post just now and will go to bed soon. I wasn't sure if you just wanted to do your own thing for now so if that's the case just let me know and we'll use the alternative scene I have in the IC spoilers.
    Already posted a response :)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Zeal's post is.. amazing, haha! Adorable and makes me want to chuckle. Up until the point where the plague doctor costume scares everyone away!
    Thanks! I'm already liking Zeal! Do you think a wide brimmed hat would help cut the intimation factor? P:

I really enjoyed all your posts! It was hard to write my own because I kept wanting to read everyone's post xD What's going on with the half-orc!? That was scary when he just dodged Shandara and left. I love your coffee shop too! Zeal will visit there one day!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, gosh, this has moved quickly! Sorry, today is the day I GM a game in person, and the day just got away from me.

Is it OK to start working on a position that someone else has already "claimed"?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

You mean the notices on the board? I think it's fine if you work on whatever. I mean, nothing wrong with competing designs, that's just how the world works..

It might not hurt to reach out to collaborate, though.

edit: so I've made my first "crafting" roll. I'll wait to see what those results mean, if anything, but I think if I want to keep pursuing this idea, I'd probably need to either head to a library, or Shandara could go review her book repository at her home first...
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-01-23 at 10:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Now Shandara is thinking with portals.

The commissions on the board are open commissions. I certainly don't mind ooc.

Shandara & Bolten are working on the "Draining the Stormdrains" commission.
    Xavier is working on the "Streidekker and Sons, Shipwrights" commission.
    Z & Zeal are working on the "Treatment" commission.

Zeal is also interested in the minor harvest festival, shipwright, and bank commissions! She is very unprepared to do the bank commission currently, but I'd like her to attempt it even if she fails to break in.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

@Elbeyon, I loved your post for Zeal, it had me smiling and laughing all the way through

Quote Originally Posted by Armonia13 View Post
    Edit: Sweet! A 27 should give him more than enough knowledge on ships to have an idea of a new design, right?
    It'd take a bit more time to study to really get going (as Z dropped in before you'd gotten much further than the preliminaries), but you've already got a decent idea for the two directions you could take it in. Ship design always goes in two, mutually exclusive, directions, being for faster ships and bigger ships. Faster ships a are needed for the quick transport of people, or large amounts of documents, or valuable goods, while bigger ships are for transport of stuff in bulk. You've got some starting ideas for both, but you'd need more time to work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    So adding ingredients that gives bonuses against the symptoms makes a treatment more potent against that disease? In other alchemical concoctions, what usually keeps things together, makes it so they don't lose effectiveness, and avoids side effects?
    Depends on what you're making. there's a variety of substances that can act as an 'emulsifier' of sorts. Your character would probably know that for applications in the field of medicine and treating diseases a mix of fish oil and lime juice is often used (and yes, that tastes exactly as revolting as it sounds), but there might be other options as well (purified alcohol is used sometimes as well, for example, but that's only an option if you've got a number of other liquid ingredients to dillute the alcohol enough, but not so many that the alcohol loses its effects)

edit: so I've made my first "crafting" roll. I'll wait to see what those results mean, if anything, but I think if I want to keep pursuing this idea, I'd probably need to either head to a library, or Shandara could go review her book repository at her home first...
    Right, as you suspected, direct teleportation magic requires just way too much power to be practical. A 'summon sewage' effect might work, but the reduction in energy cost for most summon effects is due in large part to the fact that you're nor targeting particularly precisely (or at all, apart from the kind of thing you're summoning), so you might end up getting sewage from another district if you can't find a way to constrain that. however, you've also heard some discussion among the Artificers about a new enchantment designed by their Curator that should, theorethically, allow the internal spaces of two bags of holding to be connected, allowing items to be put in one bag to be retrieved with the other. However, as with all the Curators designs, its an incredibly complex enchantment, and you'd probably need to do some adaptations to adapt it for the sewer system as well, so it's definitely a challenge, but might be the perfect solution.

@Prehysterical, Yeah, your design is coming along beautifully. You'll even find time to make a quick proof of concept of the interlinked smaller drillbits to show, and you've figured out a way to keep the drill going nice and straight using a gyroscope system. It'll still take you about 4 days to finish the design and the prototype/proof of concept, but your character can feel pretty confident about their progress.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Cool! And that was with a somewhat lowish roll (below 10) and without a library bonus. Think I could definitely make another roll to design proofs of concept for that.

I'm guessing knowledge (arcana) just to prove it should be possible within a limit of level 2 or 3 spells, and a spellcraft roll for.. I'd guess.. "psuedocode" in programming lingo for the worst rolls, or a prototype.

The curator you mentioned that connected two bags of holding, is that Szid? And do you know if he'd be available? (perhaps later in the evening that day, or some other day)
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-01-24 at 05:29 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

The curator you mentioned that connected two bags of holding, is that Szid? And do you know if he'd be available? (perhaps later in the evening that day, or some other day)
    Yeah, that's Szid. He's not generally personally available. You can try, but he seems to be very particular about who he meets in person. You can drop by his study and knock on the door, but it's rare for him to actually invite anyone in. His designs are however available to be perused in the archives.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

@Prehysterical, Hah, that's great. I don' imagine that those prostethics are useful to the average citizen though, I'm sure we can think of something better.

@pi4t, I don't think that anybody can put exclusive claims on anything. Feel free to do whatever you think would be fun.

13. - Top - End - #43

How much would it cost to make a very small (say 1 inch across) floating disc? And a similar sized web shelter? For proof of concept purposes.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck

Making a spell that just transports sewage isn't the most difficult. Getting it to only take sewage from those areas you want to take it from is however pretty difficult. There are two main methods currently in use. The easier enchantment is to use secondary enchantments placed at the boundary of where you want your enchantment to take effect, but such boundary enchantments would have to be placed fairly close together (within 5 meters with most well-documented techniques) to actually work, which means you're really only moving the infrastructure issue around (though since the boundary enchantments could be placed on ground-level, you're at least making things a bit easier). You could define the area within the enchantment itself, but that's a lot more difficult, both because you'd need the exact position of each enchantment, and because defining distances is actually pretty difficult when making an enchantment. For this reason most enchantments either use 'here' as it's location of effect, or a direction to throw it's effect in (which wouldn't be useful in this case, because such effects are generally designed to stop on the first solid surface they hit, and without that limitation they'd just keep going forever).

Another issue you'll have to contend with is a way to power the enchantment so that it keeps going for a long time without maintenance, as the pipes themselves would be fairly inaccessible. You could do this by just pumping a lot of power into each enchantment, which means you'd need a lot of mages, or some fairly expensive foci to place the enchantments. You could also try adding tot eh enchantments so that they can run on 'ambient' magic, but that'd be another addition to an already complex enchantment. You could also see about capturing a magical creature to run the enchantments. For something like this a water elemental might work best, but such creatures aren't exactly easy to come by, and convincing them to work with you is fairly difficult a well.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    How much would it cost to make a very small (say 1 inch across) floating disc? And a similar sized web shelter? For proof of concept purposes.
    Depends on the exact way you'd want to go about it. The simplest way to do this would probably be to inscribe a small gemstone or another material that can hold magical power with your enchantments (probably about 15 gp in material for the size you describe), which could run those spells together for quite a long time without needing to be recharged, but this'd also scale pretty poorly depending on how large you'd want the actual product to be.

How large would the final product have to be?

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Depends on the exact way you'd want to go about it. The simplest way to do this would probably be to inscribe a small gemstone or another material that can hold magical power with your enchantments (probably about 15 gp in material for the size you describe), which could run those spells together for quite a long time without needing to be recharged, but this'd also scale pretty poorly depending on how large you'd want the actual product to be.

How large would the final product have to be?
    Around the size of the normal spells, though it would depend on how large the shipyards would want them to be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Meredith is thinking of making a submarine. I'm not quite sure what I ought to be describing in terms of my design, or how practical a given design would be in terms of cost - the pricing guidelines are rather vague when it comes to any "interesting" items. The only information I have is some sample things which can be done with magic, namely all the low-level spells. I've therefore been figuring out what elements a submarine would need, which couldn't easily be provided without magic, and working out how powerful a magic effect would be necessary to supply that.

Anyway, the design I'm thinking of would need the following components:
    A lightweight, watertight barrier - the spell Web Shelter seems to be the lowest level spell that gives this.
    A supply of conjured breathable air (and a way to get rid of the excess CO2) - Air Bubble is a first level spell which provides something like this.
    Some way of moving up and down - Levitate seems like the obvious way to do this, and it's canonically possible to get an at-will levitation effect on a person fairly cheaply (boots of levitation, 7500gp market price). Of course, I'd be wanting to levitate the whole ship rather than just one person, increasing the cost - but it would also only need to levitate through water rather than through the air, which will require less force and hopefully reduce the cost down again.
    Some way of moving horizontally - Floating disk is a first level spell that provides exclusively horizontal movement. It's supposed to stay a fixed distance from the ground, but it seems reasonable to make a version that stays a fixed distance from the bottom of the submarine - and then just hold the submarine in place vertically using the levitate effect.

By combining these spells, it seems obvious it should be possible to make a submarine. I have no real idea if this is the most efficient method, or how much the final result would cost, though. Or how much the shipyard would be prepared to pay, for that matter.

Is this a sensible way of designing our magic items, or would you prefer I take a different approach?

17. - Top - End - #47

SwashbucklerGuy

It'd take a bit more time to study to really get going (as Z dropped in before you'd gotten much further than the preliminaries), but you've already got a decent idea for the two directions you could take it in. Ship design always goes in two, mutually exclusive, directions, being for faster ships and bigger ships. Faster ships a are needed for the quick transport of people, or large amounts of documents, or valuable goods, while bigger ships are for transport of stuff in bulk. You've got some starting ideas for both, but you'd need more time to work on that.
    I definitely know what I'm going for when I get back to it! It might be manual to start, but I'm gonna aim to make a paddle wheel system to act as a supplement to sail ships.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    Around the size of the normal spells, though it would depend on how large the shipyards would want them to be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Meredith is thinking of making a submarine. I'm not quite sure what I ought to be describing in terms of my design, or how practical a given design would be in terms of cost - the pricing guidelines are rather vague when it comes to any "interesting" items. The only information I have is some sample things which can be done with magic, namely all the low-level spells. I've therefore been figuring out what elements a submarine would need, which couldn't easily be provided without magic, and working out how powerful a magic effect would be necessary to supply that.

Anyway, the design I'm thinking of would need the following components:
    A lightweight, watertight barrier - the spell Web Shelter seems to be the lowest level spell that gives this.
    A supply of conjured breathable air (and a way to get rid of the excess CO2) - Air Bubble is a first level spell which provides something like this.
    Some way of moving up and down - Levitate seems like the obvious way to do this, and it's canonically possible to get an at-will levitation effect on a person fairly cheaply (boots of levitation, 7500gp market price). Of course, I'd be wanting to levitate the whole ship rather than just one person, increasing the cost - but it would also only need to levitate through water rather than through the air, which will require less force and hopefully reduce the cost down again.
    Some way of moving horizontally - Floating disk is a first level spell that provides exclusively horizontal movement. It's supposed to stay a fixed distance from the ground, but it seems reasonable to make a version that stays a fixed distance from the bottom of the submarine - and then just hold the submarine in place vertically using the levitate effect.

By combining these spells, it seems obvious it should be possible to make a submarine. I have no real idea if this is the most efficient method, or how much the final result would cost, though. Or how much the shipyard would be prepared to pay, for that matter.

Is this a sensible way of designing our magic items, or would you prefer I take a different approach?
    It's one way to approach it. Thinking of it in terms of what you need to get the effect you want is a good one, but you don't necessarily need to think of it in terms of canon spells. It could be done the way you describe, though it would probably be more efficient to just enchant a woord or metal construction to make it completely watertight. A permanent air bubble effect is definitely a good way to do the air-refreshing, and while you could do depth-regulation with levitate, you could also focus on making the ship neutrally buoyant, and having a mechanical system regulate depth (though that wouldn't necessarily be more efficient than a levitate effect enhanced to affect the entire ship). The biggest challenge would probably be to design a method of propulsion that works without wind or oars.

19. - Top - End - #49

SwashbucklerGuy

Is the protection the doctor is providing those pendants of Sarenrae that you mentioned in Zeal's hospital trip?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armonia13 View Post
    Is the protection the doctor is providing those pendants of Sarenrae that you mentioned in Zeal's hospital trip?
    As a matter of fact, yes :P They're a pendant made form that fancy metal Z mentioned either with a small blessing on them.

21. - Top - End - #51

SwashbucklerGuy

As a matter of fact, yes :P They're a pendant made form that fancy metal Z mentioned either with a small blessing on them.
    Good, I could use any help that I can get 😅

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

So... none of the things I have listed were addressed, save for the thing about boundaries.

Are you saying everything else is impossible? Like, you can't even have a summoning spell that summons an object, but only if that object is within X meters?

Actually, I believe I've heard of such a spell, but I can't think of what it is on the top of my head.

23. - Top - End - #53

SwashbucklerGuy

So... none of the things I have listed were addressed, save for the thing about boundaries.

Are you saying everything else is impossible? Like, you can't even have a summoning spell that summons an object, but only if that object is within X meters?

Actually, I believe I've heard of such a spell, but I can't think of what it is on the top of my head.
    If I may give my opinion, I think it is less about possibility and more about how you could make it work. There are theoretically various ways you can manipulate many if the concerns you listed in your post. For example, range could be mitigated by overlaying multiple castings, making sort of a magical tunnel. Volume and weight could be affected by various focusing components. You could study offshoots of various spells in order to tweak them slightly for your purposes. Like, you could use Apport Object as a base figure out a way to bypass the Touch requirement(maybe an engraved magic circle?)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry, my bad, I wasn't clear here. You can have a summoning spell that summons an object with a certain distance, but it's a more complicated enchantment than a summoning spell that summons an object, and also more complicated than 'within these boundaries', especially since you'd have to define distances differently in different directions. The same issues arise when defining a specific area. It's not impossible, just difficult.

The volume is a matter of power, it's not so much that it's infeasible, but you'll need to get somewhat fancy with the way you're powering these enchantments. The constraints on the kind of item are also doable, though you might need to do some experimentation and fine-tuning to make certain it captures all kind of sewage. Excluding specific substances can work, but you wouldn't be able to make the effect filter out any bacteria or poisons present in the sewage, for example.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

So it sounds like conjuration spells are perfectly fine summoning something from potentially infinite distance away, even from other planes. But the moment you want to put a limiter on that, like, within 200 feet or so or designate an area to search that's a problem.

Still, I think there's a few odd counter-examples:

Guardian Armor - This teleports an armor on your person to another person within a short range. A very concise proof of concept that not only shows it is possible to teleport something a short distance away with a level 1 spell, but also in a very precise manner.

Callback - Summons your familiar back to your side, with a limited range of anywhere from 400~640 feet. Though perhaps it's a special case since the familiar has a magical bond with the caster? I still feel it's worthy pointing out, since its range isn't infinite. Apparently, in this case, more range = more power needed?

What I was thinking was, maybe in order to get the limiter on distances that I wanted, it was just a matter of manipulating the power. Or perhaps, exchange how that power is used. For an ideal example, increase volume but decrease range. But.. I don't know what you mean by "you have to define distances differently".

What does this mean?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

So it sounds like conjuration spells are perfectly fine summoning something from potentially infinite distance away, even from other planes. But the moment you want to put a limiter on that, like, within 200 feet or so or designate an area to search that's a problem.
    Yeah, basically, a standard conjuration spells is 'bring me X thing' without any sort of place specified. Making a spells that brings it from a specific place means you need to make a spell that says, bring my X thing from Y place.

What I was thinking was, maybe in order to get the limiter on distances that I wanted, it was just a matter of manipulating the power. Or perhaps, exchange how that power is used. For an ideal example, increase volume but decrease range. But.. I don't know what you mean by "you have to define distances differently".

What does this mean?
    Okay, so here's how I'm kinda looking at how making an enchantment works. Designging an enchantment is kinda like writing magical pseudo-code. 'Bring thing X to here' is something that's easily supported by the 'conjuration' library, but once you need thing X to come from a very specific place things get more difficult. You'd have to either set a boundary ('continue looking for X untill you encounter the stop command), or define the location very precisely 'look for X, but not further than X meters away on the vertical plane, and no further than y meters away on the horizontal plane, and total distance no longer than Z meters away' and stuff like that.

Sorry, not properly explaining how I saw this is really on me. Also, if you'd prefer a different way to look at how enchanting works, that's fine too, just give me an idea of how your character looks at it and I'll work with that instead.

27. - Top - End - #57

Am I understanding correctly that Z was also a student at the academy, who's recently graduated? If so I'm going to suggest that Meredith was in the same year as him, and often used his alchemy.

28. - Top - End - #58

(Apologies for the double post.)

I decided to jump on the Julieanne's Brew bandwagon. Apparently it's a popular place! @Armonia It sounds like Xavier is fairly new so Meredith doesn't know of his interest in shipbuilding and won't seek him out. If you want to collaborate, I suggest having Xavier run into Meredith now. (Or, for that matter, if anyone else wants to run into Meredith, this is a good opportunity).

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, I was thinking about it more and I think we've got it wrong.

Pretty much always, conjuration means an object or substance appears before you. But the exact manner of how this happens varies. Most conjuration effects have the creation tag. Or, it's pretty blatantly flavored that way. An object is created, or brought forth somehow, but as to where it actually comes from? Who knows.

Maybe the spells just grab any old matter from anywhere, and a lot of times these creations disintegrate after the duration is over.

But you'll notice that spells that specifically teleport one known, existing thing from one place to another actually have limitations on their range. This is why I was thinking a range limitation would be pretty easy. As I understand it, the power of the spell dictates how far something can travel.

I think the generic creation spells I was talking about could be like an ultra-efficient algorithm that just skims excess energy from seemingly random places. So maybe you're right, that it takes a lot more "processing power" to search for something specific on top of moving it. But I disagree that limiting the potential distance costs even more power. I see it as perhaps a recursive, web-crawling algorithm, with a priority to keep the search broad, not narrow. So if you want to limit the distance it looks, all you do is limit the number of iterations it gets.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

I think the generic creation spells I was talking about could be like an ultra-efficient algorithm that just skims excess energy from seemingly random places. So maybe you're right, that it takes a lot more "processing power" to search for something specific on top of moving it. But I disagree that limiting the potential distance costs even more power. I see it as perhaps a recursive, web-crawling algorithm, with a priority to keep the search broad, not narrow. So if you want to limit the distance it looks, all you do is limit the number of iterations it gets.
    I wasn't really thinking about it as limiting distance requiring more power, but rather requiring a more specific enchantment, making it more difficult to create he enchantment in a way that works. That having been said, I do like this approach as well. It'll probably have a couple of interesting, but fun and minor unintended side-effects, but not something that's particularly problematic.

So yeah, your character wouldn't have any reason to doubt that this approach could work.

edit: @pi4t, yeah, you'd get a stipend this week

@prehysterical, I'll get to your post in a bit, but I want everyone else to have a chance to catch up to your temporal position a bit first, if you don't mind. As I said though, your character would have time for some social stuff while working, so if before those 4 days are over an opportunity to interact ore roleplay with the others comes up, there's no reason not to go for it.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-24 at 02:24 PM.