New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    edit: And I forgot. She also has the Mending spell, which would probably be superb for finishing off anything else wrong with the grate. After she finishes patching it up and modifying the enchantment, she could cast Mending and this grate should be in pristine condition!
    You'd probably want to cast mending before redoing the enchantment (as mending doesn't fix enchantments), but yeah, this would work.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, I'm not sure. I mean, I already rolled quite well in craft jewelry for fixing up the grate anyway.

And I was hoping using Mending might add a bit of quality to it, regardless. But as I said, I think I will save Mending for later, in case it's needed for something more important.

I assume the results of my rolls will be in the IC thread later? ... I guess everyone else has gotta be making rolls for their part. And I would assume someone with a high architecture and engineering roll is most suited for coming up with a good overall design structure, right?

I guess it's confusing though. I have made rolls which would cover actions that take up hours, and/or would be done in the future. But I am still talking about doing stuff in the more new future.

How do we want to proceed?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-09-22 at 07:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Troll in the Playground

I assume the results of my rolls will be in the IC thread later? ... I guess everyone else has gotta be making rolls for their part. And I would assume someone with a high architecture and engineering roll is most suited for coming up with a good overall design structure, right?

I guess it's confusing though. I have made rolls which would cover actions that take up hours, and/or would be done in the future. But I am still talking about doing stuff in the more new future.

How do we want to proceed?
    I'll give you an indication of how well you're doing when next I post in the IC thread (which'll be after Prehysterical has posted, or sometime this weekend, whichever comes earlier), but obviously I'll only describe the end result once you've gathered the necessary resources and invested the necessary time. Those rolls do stand though, so if you stop to do something else and then return to that project, you won't have to roll again.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Firbolg in the Playground

Messed up the Knowledge (Engineering) roll: (1d20+12)[16]

5. - Top - End - #695
    Troll in the Playground

@prehysterical, It seems to be sound design to you. The longer the water spends around those magical grates, the more work they can do. Depending on the consistency of the sewage, it might not work as well for the fabric Filters though, as you might actually need some force to push the water through if you want to have any sort of decent flow of water through the machine.

6. - Top - End - #696

DeTess, if Bolten goes to fetch some of his more specialized smithing tools from his place, how much time will that eat up? I have no idea how far his home/workshop is from the contest or what the traffic conditions are like.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    DeTess, if Bolten goes to fetch some of his more specialized smithing tools from his place, how much time will that eat up? I have no idea how far his home/workshop is from the contest or what the traffic conditions are like.
    You had your own place a bit outside the campus, right? Should take you about half an hour to make the round-trip, assuming you're walking.

There are tools you can borrow on the plaza, but those are all standard quality, and I assume yours are masterwork.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

It might depend on the kind of job he needs done, but I assume that for most, if not every engineering roll to build something here, that +2 could help, right?

Also I suppose Bolten hustling to go about twice as fast may be viable. Or another alternative.. something akin to taking a cab?

9. - Top - End - #699
    Troll in the Playground

You could rent a carriage if you can find one, which would cut the trip down to about 10 minutes plus some time to find one, but it'd cost you a couple silver pieces.

10. - Top - End - #700

Yeeeah, we're going to skip the dwarf sprinting today. Time is money and Bolten has a lot more of the second than the first. Do I need to roll anything for finding the carriage?

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I'd just roll something like this, where each dot on the die is an interval of 15 seconds.

for instance: (3d6)[12]

So that would be 3 minutes. But I think the time is very negligible, and we probably shouldn't even bother.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-09-28 at 06:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    Yeeeah, we're going to skip the dwarf sprinting today. Time is money and Bolten has a lot more of the second than the first. Do I need to roll anything for finding the carriage?
    I was going to roll a dice fir it once I figured out what was appropriate, but windstruck beat me to it :P

Let's call it 15 minutes all told, including checking in and out, and 3 silvers for the carriage driver

13. - Top - End - #703

Knowledge (engineering) for Ulrik: (1d20+12)[31]

14. - Top - End - #704
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks, if you could do something of an IC post including making the sketch and handing it over, as well as what Bolten's next plan is?

@windstruck, what is your plan for getting the remaining ingredients you need?

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara will try using Locate Object for gemstones inside the ship. If that initial search proves fruitless, she could perhaps use its range (640 ft) to determine if another group may have some gems...

HOPEFULLY, it doesn't find jewelry that someone else is wearing but uh.. anyway! I think I liked the idea of trying locate object first. I mean, it's a ship, right?? Maybe there is something very very sneakily hidden away, someplace...

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

Fair enough. Just out of curiosity, is Shandara wearing any jewelry herself? :P

Could you roll me a perception check? Your spell should tell you the direction what you're looking is in, but I don't think it tells you how exactly to get to it if it's hidden or stashed away.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. You know, it's possible she could be wearing a few trinkets with some gemstones. Hopefully we could say she at least would know to take them off and leave them with, uh.. let's jut say Bolten for now, before trying this.

I also do think that by moving around, it's possible to "pinpoint" the location of any such items, if they do exist, and if there isn't too much blocking the direct line to them. But yes, it might prove difficult extracting them!

perception: (1d20+6)[20]

18. - Top - End - #708
    Troll in the Playground

messed up and did some random rolls in the IC thread.
    results where 21, 18 and 8.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck, could you roll me another perception?

edit: and a fortitude save, please
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-10-05 at 10:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

What, is someone going to put poison in my coffee?

perception: (1d20+6)[19]

keep in mind bright light penalties if applicable

fortitude: (1d20-4)[10]

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck, the fumes coming from Ash's cauldron seem to have some side effects. It'll take Shandara a bit (about 20 minutes) to fully clear her head, and she'll probably want to get out of the fumes to do so. Untill then, you take a -2 to pretty much everything, as if you're sickened.

@prehsyterical, could you roll me another smithing check?

22. - Top - End - #712

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    @prehsyterical, could you roll me another smithing check?
    Sure thing.
    (1d20+15)[35]

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Not really sure what else to say or do, so guess I'll ask in an OOC fashion...

What else do we have left to do? Or might there be some other ways we can help improve this contraption?

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

Not really sure what else to say or do, so guess I'll ask in an OOC fashion...

What else do we have left to do? Or might there be some other ways we can help improve this contraption?
    You're mostly done with your initial design, yes, but you've still got some time before things are done, so you could try adding something, or run some rudimentary tests to see if any issues arrive.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah a test sounds good.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

Water should be easy enough to get in significant enough quantities for a test. Will you try adding anything else to the water (dirt for example is easy enough to get as well)?

My next IC post is unlikely to be today, btw, but I'll try to have something up tomorrow regarding the test.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

A bit of dirt (not too much) is good enough. I think we could probably trust the aparatus at the beginning to work when it comes to properly sieving.

Not to say that nothing could go wrong either. It just seems like a hassle to get some appropriate material, plus clean it up after.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Is there anything you two want to try to do before the judging phase of the competition begins?

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Well... assuming Bolten approves, maybe Shandara could give the water a tiny sip.

I'm curious about the oily feel to the water. Kind of.. hard to imagine, you know?

Is that something Shandara can study/analyze to make sure it's not a problem?

30. - Top - End - #720
    Troll in the Playground

I'm curious about the oily feel to the water. Kind of.. hard to imagine, you know?
    Best way I can think to describe it other than that is that it feels like it leaves a thin film or similar in your mouth. No real taste or anything to it, just feels like it leaves a residue normal water wouldn't.

As for analyzing it, fi you've got any spells for that purpose that's fine. Otherwise you're going to have to quickly brew up some alchemical tests from non-ideal components. Not entirely impossible, but that'd be a craft (alchemy) check with a DC in the mid-thirties. Or if you have some other idea for analyzing it...