New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    I'll get to your post in a bit, but I want everyone else to have a chance to catch up to your temporal position a bit first, if you don't mind. As I said though, your character would have time for some social stuff while working, so if before those 4 days are over an opportunity to interact ore roleplay with the others comes up, there's no reason not to go for it.
    I don't mind at all. He wouldn't make the first move, but I'll keep that in mind.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Using prestigation to make gloves is actually really clever. I hadn't thought about that before.

@Piet, I haven't actually specified how old Z is because I wasn't sure quite what the game was tailored towards. I'm definitely open to having been in the same year as other characters and having been interacted over alchemy.

@All, how far along the education do you all imagining your characters to be? And how long does the education last?
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-01-24 at 06:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'll also add to the previous discussion that those "ultra-efficient" creation spells would actually have the problem of reconstructing the matter into the desired form, plus maintaining shape for that duration.

With that said, I'm glad it seems like some progress is being made. Do you think Shandara finishes within a few hours?

And also, what hours are the archives open? It would be really ideal if she could browse there in the middle of the night. Not much else better to do with her time...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    Using prestigation to make gloves is actually really clever. I hadn't thought about that before.

@Piet, I haven't actually specified how old Z is because I wasn't sure quite what the game was tailored towards. I'm definitely open to having been in the same year as other characters and having been interacted over alchemy.

@All, how far along the educationare you all imagining your characters to be? And how long does the education last?
    Thank you! I got inspired by a game I tried to play in awhile ago. Xavier is 14 years old, but would have graduated early from the Academy's required lessons. He'll still be attending some classes in his spare time, but by all rights is a full fledged member of the Society

@pi4t Xavier will definitely be searching out Meredith, once he isn't occupied with helping Z. Feel free to search him out for his knowledge skills anytime as well!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    With that said, I'm glad it seems like some progress is being made. Do you think Shandara finishes within a few hours?
    Your initial study should be done in a couple of hours. Making and testing the enchantment should take longer.
    And also, what hours are the archives open? It would be really ideal if she could browse there in the middle of the night. Not much else better to do with her time...
    For society members the archives are open 24/7.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I guess after researching in the archives for a few examples, I could try making a spellcraft check at a +2 bonus?

You think one check works for Shandara's whole paper she wrote? Or maybe three? One for standard search, one for boundaries, one for the defined areas?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

I guess after researching in the archives for a few examples, I could try making a spellcraft check at a +2 bonus?

You think one check works for Shandara's whole paper she wrote? Or maybe three? One for standard search, one for boundaries, one for the defined areas?
    If you want to try creating a working example for all three methods that'd take a lot more time. I'd say expected time required for each method separate is about 3 days (4 for defining the area exactly), but doing all three would take about a week (depending on the check), as you can re-use parts of the enchantments in the other approaches. And yeah, a day of extra study should get you a +2 bonus.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

@Prehysterical, if you are bored I'd be happy to do a brainstorming scene for clockwork grafts. Since we're playing with timelines anyway it could be sometime during your 4 days of crafting or it could be a flashback.

@Piet, Armonia's reply makes me think that it sounds good to already be graduated so let's say that we do it during the same year and have the connection about alchemy.

@DeTess,
    I'm not rolling knowledge nat because Z is aiding Xavier. Or are we using one of the aid another variants in which the aider rolls and the bonus they give depends on their roll? I do enjoy those variants and how thematically it makes sense that someone who is good at something helps more than someone untrained. I am guessing that I shouldn't roll a heal since I'm forgoing the independent knowledge roll?

I'll just take 10 for the spell-related rolls, getting familiar help. That means 29 spellcraft and 24 kno(arcane). So we're looking at the aura for any spell lesss than lvl 12 and identifical of the specific spell effect up to spell lvl 4. Z will also inform Xavier about the spell and it's location such that Xavier also is able to roll knowledge(arcane) to determine the spell effects.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-01-25 at 06:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

if you are bored I'd be happy to do a brainstorming scene for clockwork grafts. Since we're playing with timelines anyway it could be sometime during your 4 days of crafting or it could be a flashback.
    Z can try, but I'm not sure that Bolten would be keen on the whole idea. The idea of replacing body parts or integrating machinery into a person might be a little... icky to him.

10. - Top - End - #70

SwashbucklerGuy

@Prehysterical, if you are bored I'd be happy to do a brainstorming scene for clockwork grafts. Since we're playing with timelines anyway it could be sometime during your 4 days of crafting or it could be a flashback.

@Piet, Armonia's reply makes me think that it sounds good to already be graduated so let's say that we do it during the same year and have the connection about alchemy.

@DeTess,
    I'm not rolling knowledge nat because Z is aiding Xavier. Or are we using one of the aid another variants in which the aider rolls and the bonus they give depends on their roll? I do enjoy those variants and how thematically it makes sense that someone who is good at something helps more than someone untrained. I am guessing that I shouldn't roll a heal since I'm forgoing the independent knowledge roll?

I'll just take 10 for the spell-related rolls, getting familiar help. That means 29 spellcraft and 24 kno(arcane). So we're looking at the aura for any spell lesss than lvl 12 and identifical of the specific spell effect up to spell lvl 4. Z will also inform Xavier about the spell and it's location such that Xavier also is able to roll knowledge(arcane) to determine the spell effects.
    So Z has Detect Magic? Man, I really should have grabbed an item that let's me do that. Future purchase I guess. Also, you're able to take 10 on Knowledge Checks? What is the point of a Bard's Lore Master ability then?

If I'm able to take 10, I'll have 25, +2 if I take the time to use my reference guides, so 27 on Know Nat, Arcana, and Religion(There is such a thing as divine plagues after all), plus a 24 Spellcraft.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, think I'd feel the same way about grafts and such tbh.

I feel like if things go well for Shandara, she may be able to return to the Curator's office with a protype spell (still untested by the way) at around the same time that Bolten brings his schematics and mini drill prototype.

Getting there at the exact same time may be contrived, but at the very least, I feel for a nice story we've got to know that we're each seriously working on something and have come up with some potential solutions.

edit: I didn't think it was possible to aid another on knowledge checks.

double edit: Since Shandara does not have any levels as a wizard, is it even possible for her to test the spells she has come up with by herself?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-01-25 at 07:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

@Prehysterical&Windstruck, Bah, uninformed peasants, scared for the inevitable avalance of technology. The future is metal and we might as well accept that.

More seriously it could just be grafts for warforged, for people that have lost a limp and now we might as well give them something useful instead of simply a replacement, or just an addition rather than replacement like a way of getting wings.

Though, obviously I'm not going to engage your character on it if you don't enjoy the fantasy.

@Armonia13,
    Yep, detect magic was a magewright spell and often comes in handy. Happy to help you with the item later, I'll even throw in a friends discount.

On taking 10 on knowledge. As far as I know you can take 10 on all skills(except UMD which have a specific clause that you can't take 10) as long as you aren't distracted or under threat. It seems pretty unambiguous in under the skill section in the d20pfsrd. I'm not super famliar with the bard ability but my assumption is that it allows you to take 10 during combat which you otherwise can't.

On aiding another. I just reread the aid another section under skills and as I recalled there are no restrictions on skills you can use it on. I had forgotten that I need to roll a 10 or higher on the same roll because only competent help actually gives a bonus. The description specifically calls out that the GM can put in restrictions as they choose so if DeTess says I can't then I can't. Still, it's a lot easier to understand something if you have someone to bounce ideas off(see rubberducking) and even if you know a lot about something, someone else can still see something or make a connection you didn't which can help you out, so I feel like the case is pretty strong for why it makes sense to aid another on knowledge checks. I would fluff it as pointing out observations, talking about similar diseases, and such. Familiar can talk using prestigation to make crude floating sentences which it can do at will.
    Roll for aid another self: (1d20+8)[19]
    Roll for aid another familiar: (1d20)[5]
    Edit: so unless DeTess rules differently you get +2 for Z's aid but the floating letters from the familiar doesn't point out anything you didn't know.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-01-25 at 08:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

@Armonia13,
    Yep, detect magic was a magewright spell and often comes in handy. Happy to help you with the item later, I'll even throw in a friends discount.
    Detect magic is so good that is the only 0th level spell Zeal learned. She just has detect magic prepared in every slot.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

@shandara, I saw you rolled twice for spellcraft, which two approaches are you working on?

Edit:
    Spoiler: info for Elbeyon
    Show

The pendant is made from Targath, which grants a +2 resistance bonus on fortitude saves agaisnt diseases. It also has a faint blessing on it, granting a further +1 sacred bonus on fortitude saves.

The faint magical aura you detect has hints of transmutation and Necromancy, though you can't determine much more than that. You do notice that the aura seems a bit stronger in those suffering from bad coughing, than those who don't.

knowledge nature: You get a pretty good idea of all the symptoms. The main symptoms seem to be diarhea, coughing, and in many cases a fever. Other issues that some patients mention, such as headaches and diziness seem to spring from dehydration being caused by the disease causing its sufferers to lose a lot of liquid. What seems to be a bit odd to you is that the disease seems to hit two seperate parts of the body, being the digestive tract and the lungs. Many diseases tend to only primarily affect one part of the body, with all other symptoms being the result of something going wrong there.

Spoiler: info for Sonderje
    Show

The faint magical aura you detect has hints of transmutation and Necromancy, though you can't determine much more than that. You do notice that the aura seems a bit stronger in those suffering from bad coughing, than those who don't. FI you're looking at the direct effects of a spell than it's not one you've seen before. It's not impossible for it to be some kind of artificial disease and you do remember reading about a couple diseases like that being used by enemies of the empire during the age of conquest, but most of those where a lot more spectacular and deadly than what you're looking at here.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-26 at 11:31 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

I rolled twice because that's what investigative mind lets you do. Then you get the best roll.

I'm just working on the basic approach. Searching from the point of origin.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

I rolled twice because that's what investigative mind lets you do. Then you get the best roll.

I'm just working on the basic approach. Searching from the point of origin.
    Ah, okay, apologies. Yeah, a 33 will allow you to crack that easily in a day or three (which means you'd be done at about the same time as Bolten) so by the end of your third day you've got an enchantment that can reliably do what you need it to do, transferring sewage within a decent range into a container or pipe. Scaling it up to work on a full-size sewer is just a question of finding the right power source to sustain the enchantment, but there's a number of options there that you'll know will work (could be carving the runes with a highly magical kind of metal only found in former lake-beds, or maybe inlaying it with pieces form a magical type of coral or drawing it on with ink made from the heartblood of a sea serpent or something like that. You'll want something that has some natural association with liquids or water, but this is up to you to give your own twist on, and the costs will be covered by the patron for this project).

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

My plan was actually to use several such enchantments to help control the sewage flow and get around tough spots that would require demolishing many buildings. It was meant as a supplement to engineering plans. Not.. one massive spell that does the job for the whole district...

Also, I'm wondering if anything else happens over the course of those days? Shandara would at least be making some trips between her home and the archives, and some places to eat. She'd probably actually have to do some grocery shopping too. (Can't just eat out all the time! ...right?)

Kinda feels like I've just been posting and posting by myself. But I guess if nothing eventful happens.... I'll be seeing Bolten at the office again too?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-01-26 at 12:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

My plan was actually to use several such enchantments to help control the sewage flow and get around tough spots that would require demolishing many buildings. It was meant as a supplement to engineering plans. Not.. one massive spell that does the job for the whole district...
    I know, sorry if I didn't make that clear. You think it might be able to do the entire job if you got a truly massive way to power it, but it would be more efficient and easier to implement to allow it to bridge gaps as you suggest

Also, I'm wondering if anything else happens over the course of those days? Shandara would at least be making some trips between her home and the archives, and some places to eat. She'd probably actually have to do some grocery shopping too. (Can't just eat out all the time! ...right?)
    AS with Bolten, you'll have time for some social stuff, and grocery runs and the like. Working on the enchantment takes up a significant part of your day, like a day (or in your case night) job would, but it doesn't take up every waking moment.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Guess I am frozen in time for a bit then.

I wouldn't mind RPing and all, but I don't think checking vegetables at the store and telling the butcher how many pounds of meat I want would be very engaging.

All the rest of our PCs... welcome to say hi or ask for some limited help.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-01-26 at 01:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

SwashbucklerGuy

@DeTess Exactly how long ago was the end of the Age of Conquest?

Edit: Also, would a KnoArcana check tell me whether a conjuration aura would appear on a magical disease that wasn't directly transmitted via spell or attack?(Sonderjye did mention that Z would tell Xavier his own findings in the moment)

To be clear, I'm asking if I cast a Contagion spell of some sort on a single target, and it spreads to other people later, would it still Detect as Necromancy and slightly Conjuration in the new victims?

Edit 2: Could've sworn that note said Conjuration earlier, not Transmutation, never mind my question
    Last edited by Armonia13; 2021-01-26 at 02:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not normally active when the gm is on!

@DeTess Would you like me to wait for that morgue info? I love all this information! I feel like my character is really researching and learning!

@WindStruck I'm trying to hurry and advance things with each of my posts. Any chance you want to spend time with Zeal? She might have the plague :V
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-01-26 at 02:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armonia13 View Post
    @DeTess Exactly how long ago was the end of the Age of Conquest?
    About 60-ish years now since it formally ended, though as with many things in history there isn't quite that clear a cut-off as historians would like there to be (the lest 40 years of the age of conquest where mostly crushing the last few well-entrenched hold-outs, and dealing with a couple of smallish rebellions).

Quote Originally Posted by Elbeyon View Post
    @DeTess Would you like me to wait for that morgue info? I love all this information! I feel like my character is really researching and learning!
    Oh right, if your character is planning on going to the morgue next I'll quickly set the scene for that.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Oh right, if your character is planning on going to the morgue next I'll quickly set the scene for that.
    My bad. I had Zeal go down to the basement, but I didn't specifically declare her visiting the morgue (yet). I wanted to include the scene change there at the end, so I can work on my next post for tomorrow.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Interacting with Zeal sounds really fun. Can't confidently say Shandara would be having fun, but hey she is just too shy for her own good.

Also... no more sign of that shady half-orc following Shandara?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elbeyon View Post
    My bad. I had Zeal go down to the basement, but I didn't specifically declare her visiting the morgue (yet). I wanted to include the scene change there at the end, so I can work on my next post for tomorrow.
    No, this was on me, I missed that bit. I've edited my IC post with the transition to the morgue and the area for autopsies.

Also... no more sign of that shady half-orc following Shandara?
    Nope, you see no sign of him, nor anyone else looking particularly shady.

26. - Top - End - #86

About 60-ish years now since it formally ended, though as with many things in history there isn't quite that clear a cut-off as historians would like there to be (the lest 40 years of the age of conquest where mostly crushing the last few well-entrenched hold-outs, and dealing with a couple of smallish rebellions).
    Oh... That would have meant that Bolten was born around the time that the Age of Conquest ended. I had originally written his childhood as taking place during the last days of that age. The Crimson Claw orcs were supposed to be a marginalized people pushing back against the Empire in a sort of last hurrah. Do I need to change that part of my character's backstory?

@Windstruck Tea time for subterranean friends?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    @Windstruck Tea time for subterranean friends?
    Uh... sure? Maybe before these 3-4 days have passed when we have arrived with our works?

To call each other friends though.. well, there is a lot of baggage Shandara just has to try not to think about. If Bolten is indeed a friend, maybe he's the closest thing she has to one. But I don't know about Zeal. I'd like to think she could take that title.

I was actually wondering something. I'm sure there are some races that might prefer a more underground environment. Surely there's got to be something a bit like that in the city? Or if anything, basements and tunnels might just be really common!

28. - Top - End - #88

Sure. Maybe we could say some time during the second day, their halfway point where they need to get some air?

Yes, "friend" is a strong word, but they're acquaintances and they've worked together before. If we need to find a way to kinda nudge them together, maybe the tea shop is crowded by students studying for some exam and Bolten only feels comfortable enough to ask Shandara to share a table.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

I thought Bolten always just brewed his own tea though..

Hm, well. Shandara does have a sitting room. If he ever did feel like coming over. Maybe that's a bit much as well.

Well, you gotta eat, and it's probably more convenient to go someplace than make your own.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

an IC post is up if Bolten is interested in sitting at a small table in a crowded cafe.