New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I guess it depends on how long we have until then. Still got that ritual to go to regarding the crystals.. is it before or after?
    Yeah, that'd definitely be before, good that you reminded me. I think it'd still take a couple weeks to finish the scorpion, so that'd definitely happen first.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Firbolg in the Playground

I feel like Bolten and Shandara promised to demo the tick as soon as it was finished as a show of good faith.

Also, potentially stupid names:

Scorpack?
    Clockwork wallcrawler?
    Scouting Clockwork Observation & Retrieval Platform?
    Pulleytail?
    Clawed carrier?
    Stonewalker?
    Gyroscorp?

I'm going to stop now.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    I feel like Bolten and Shandara promised to demo the tick as soon as it was finished as a show of good faith.

Also, potentially stupid names:

Scorpack?
    Clockwork wallcrawler?
    Scouting Clockwork Observation & Retrieval Platform?
    Pulleytail?
    Clawed carrier?
    Stonewalker?
    Gyroscorp?

I'm going to stop now.
    If I had to pick one, I'd go with this.

Doesn't Shandara have other stuff to do as well with the SCORP? Like find a more sustainable and permanent source of power for it? And fine tune the settings?

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

...I'm not sure what I expected was going to happen when I rounded out that scene with Aiden! I just wanted him to make a model ship, lol. He'll take 10 for a 30 result on carpentry to make some models. It'll probably take him a day or two, because he needs -

- 2 copies of the interlocking catamaran, so they can... you know, interlock
    - 1 abstract but functional hull of a fairly standard galleon.

So Aiden will bash those out, feed his rats and horse, and prepare to return to his new friends, if there's no interrupting events!

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    ...I'm not sure what I expected was going to happen when I rounded out that scene with Aiden! I just wanted him to make a model ship, lol. He'll take 10 for a 30 result on carpentry to make some models. It'll probably take him a day or two, because he needs -

- 2 copies of the interlocking catamaran, so they can... you know, interlock
    - 1 abstract but functional hull of a fairly standard galleon.

So Aiden will bash those out, feed his rats and horse, and prepare to return to his new friends, if there's no interrupting events!
    No interupting events, so feel free to drop by the workshop with the models.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Troll in the Playground

@prehysterical, outside of working on the scorpion, is there anything you want to do before it is finished?

It might be a bit before I can get my next IC post up, Saturday at the latest. I'm aiming to do so a bit earlier, but can't promise anything, sorry.

7. - Top - End - #1087

As I mentioned, I would like to demonstrate the tick's function to Dukkear's contact.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Troll in the Playground

As I mentioned, I would like to demonstrate the tick's function to Dukkear's contact.
    Okay, I'll set that up in my next IC post as well then. @Windstruck, I assume Bolten can pick up the enchanted bug at your place without any issues, or would you want to play that out?

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Titan in the Playground

Hm maybe. How hard would it be to put a Magic Aura effect on it?

A spell like detect magic could easily thwart the bug's stealth since it is utilizing magic to remain quiet. So being able to hide its aura would actually be very helpful as well.

10. - Top - End - #1090

Isn't the Underdark soaked with ambient magic? Or am I misremembering?

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Troll in the Playground

Question Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Hm maybe. How hard would it be to put a Magic Aura effect on it?

A spell like detect magic could easily thwart the bug's stealth since it is utilizing magic to remain quiet. So being able to hide its aura would actually be very helpful as well.
    Isn't the Underdark soaked with ambient magic? Or am I misremembering?
    There's quite a bit of ambient magic, but the bug might still stand out to someone actually searching with magic-o-vision. @windstruck, if shandara knows the spell then it would be fairly easy to create a permanent effect, no rolls required, just consumes about 25 gp worth of materials. If shandara doesn't know the spell you'll first have to acquire it somehow, or roll spellcraft to create a custom effect for the bug.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    There's quite a bit of ambient magic, but the bug might still stand out to someone actually searching with magic-o-vision. @windstruck, if shandara knows the spell then it would be fairly easy to create a permanent effect, no rolls required, just consumes about 25 gp worth of materials. If shandara doesn't know the spell you'll first have to acquire it somehow, or roll spellcraft to create a custom effect for the bug.
    It's not in her spellbook. More than happy to just go out and buy/scribe it into her book for the standard price, or RP getting the opportunity to do that if you want.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Troll in the Playground

It's not in her spellbook. More than happy to just go out and buy/scribe it into her book for the standard price, or RP getting the opportunity to do that if you want.
    It is a fairly simple spell, so it should be easy enough to just buy somewhere.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Titan in the Playground

Okay if I'm looking at this correctly, it would only cost 5 GP fee to copy a 1st level spell. And then 10 GP cost in materials, so 15 gp total.

One thing does bother me. Are you sure it would only take 25 GP to make Magic Aura permanent? That reaaally seems cheap. I'm looking at the Permanency spell, and not only is that a 5th level spell itself, but all the GP costs are extremely expensive.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Troll in the Playground

Okay if I'm looking at this correctly, it would only cost 5 GP fee to copy a 1st level spell. And then 10 GP cost in materials, so 15 gp total.

One thing does bother me. Are you sure it would only take 25 GP to make Magic Aura permanent? That reaaally seems cheap. I'm looking at the Permanency spell, and not only is that a 5th level spell itself, but all the GP costs are extremely expensive.
    The reason I'm putting a fairly cheap price on it is that it already natively has a days/level duration and has a very simple effect. With the advances in enchanting already existing in this world I imagine it's already known how to extend a small effect like this for the long term.

If you feel like it should be more I think something like 100 gp isn't too extreme either. I'm currently putting an ad-hoc price on it based on it's actual effect, rather than going by what it would cost going through permanency.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2022-04-07 at 01:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yeah, I suppose since it lasts 1 day per level, that makes quite a bit of difference.

I guess 100 GP sounds reasonable then idk.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Troll in the Playground

@prehysterical, I'll have your meeting set up a bit alter today, but I just ran out of time to get it all in a single post.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Troll in the Playground

@prehysterical, got your scene set up as well. If Bolten is just going to take a seat and wait around things will progress after a fairly long wait (about half an hour or so), but if there's anything you want to do, especially given the odd atmosphere currently in the building, be my guest.

19. - Top - End - #1099

Ha

Haha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Troll in the Playground

A rather appropriate picture, @prehysterical XD

There will be a little more happening in the office, but the question is whether Bolten will still want to be sitting there with the magic glasses on his face when this guy comes tearing through the reception area.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Titan in the Playground

So if I'm reading what you said right, we could leave the circle as is, but Shandara must contribute some power to it? Like.. spell slots?

If the circle is changed so she won't have to contribute power, she won't be able to see what is going on as well?

I wonder, is there a way to change it so that you wouldn't have to contribute power, but still observe just fine?

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Troll in the Playground

So if I'm reading what you said right, we could leave the circle as is, but Shandara must contribute some power to it? Like.. spell slots?

If the circle is changed so she won't have to contribute power, she won't be able to see what is going on as well?

I wonder, is there a way to change it so that you wouldn't have to contribute power, but still observe just fine?
    Yeah, you understood that correctly. Adjusting it to have it both ways is difficult, and would probably require some big adjustments. By contributing power you're directly connected to the casting rather than just observing it.

Imagine it as the difference between watching a cooking show and actually cooking along. You'll learn something from just watching, but doing will teach you more, even if you're just copying what the chef does 1-to-1.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck, could you roll me a spellcraft and your choice of a will or fortitude save?

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

Spellcraft: (1d20+16)[18]

Will: (1d20+7)[18]

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

Junya Orlof's office is a large and lavishly decorated room. The large windows set behind the desk look out on a garden. The walls are decorated with all kinds of tapestries, as well as a an oil painting showing a beautifully painted cavescape. Junya Orlof herself appears to be a human. At first glance she appears to be fairly young, in her early twenties maybe, though there is a timeless air to her more commonly seen with elves, suggesting she's older than she appears. She has long, shimmering black hair, and eyes so dark in color they appear to almost be black as well, though the light brings out a brown note in them. She appears quite beautiful, though in a slightly otherworldly way
    Hm. If I had to guess, a disguised drow?

Oh gosh, that's funny. If you think about it, who might be a better contact for Dukkear Ironmonger?

Either way, all this intrigue (this is intrigue, right??) is exciting!

By the way, do you think we're missing out on a key feature to the spybug? It would be nice if the person watching through its eyes could hear as well. And the recording is a very big plus as well for evidence.

26. - Top - End - #1106

That's my first thought as well... but watch her be a mind flayer or something, instead, while DeTess snickers in the background.

I actually mentioned earmuffs/earphones in my initial design for the tick's headwear, but I forgot that particular feature over the past several weeks. Bolten will talk to "Lady Orlof" and get a minor extension so that they can add that last missing feature. So far, the tick has performed swimmingly and she will no doubt see it as money well-spent.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

Oh my gosh, I don't know what to say Prehysterical...

I guess, thanks for sticking up for Shandara so much! It's quite touching! My only fear is that.. well, I recall you said you had a fear of something before. Where the character you played just became a secondary piece to another player's character. I really hope that doesn't turn out to be the case here.

Or perhaps you just came up with a really good justification to get more information out of this 'Lady Orlof'?

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Troll in the Playground

@prehysterical, I'd considered either outright OOC telling you that pushing lady Orlof more than you already had was a bad idea, or at least asking for an insight. I'm happy I didn't though, because you managed to say exactly the right things here!

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Troll in the Playground

@mrabdiel, you could use some fairly cheap wood, maybe even reuse some left-overs from building your house for the model, which would basically be free, and it would do a decent enough job. However, this model will probably be presented to demonstrate the viability of your combined ideas, and it might pay to invest a bit of money into some high quality wood (around 10 GP or so) to make sure the model looks 'nice' rather than 'functional'. Better quality materials will also improve the quality of the end result a bit as you don't need to fight the material quite as much to get the shapes you need.

30. - Top - End - #1110

Oh my gosh, I don't know what to say Prehysterical...

I guess, thanks for sticking up for Shandara so much! It's quite touching! My only fear is that.. well, I recall you said you had a fear of something before. Where the character you played just became a secondary piece to another player's character. I really hope that doesn't turn out to be the case here.

Or perhaps you just came up with a really good justification to get more information out of this 'Lady Orlof'?
    Bolten's not the kind of guy to put on an emotional show to manipulate people into getting what he wants.

Let me explain my thought process this way:

Bolten and Shandara are currently partners. Not just in terms of being in business together, but they actually work together. They complement each other's projects, have similar elements in both backstory and coming from subterranean societies, and share some common interests. Shandara does her own thing, Bolten does his own thing, and they sometimes work together. It's fine.

What I was referring to in a previous game was my character's entire story arc being hijacked and reducing him to the role of plucky sidekick in someone else's harem anime. Totally different circumstances.

Also, when Bolten and Aiden finally meet, I feel like things are going to be ride-or-die between the two of them. Aiden is a precious cinnamon roll that must be protected.

@DeTess, no reveal? You tease!