New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Well I will say, I very much enjoyed the scene with the rats!

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Well I will say, I very much enjoyed the scene with the rats!
    Well thanks, I enjoyed writing it! Just wait until everyone gets the choreography down and we're able to take the show on the road.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

Got a 22 for alchemy. So there's probably some ideas there. I just don't know how good the ideas would be.

If 22 isn't high enough, we might have to look in the archives or phone a friend. Maybe we could try and track down Ash!

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

Got a 22 for alchemy. So there's probably some ideas there. I just don't know how good the ideas would be.

If 22 isn't high enough, we might have to look in the archives or phone a friend. Maybe we could try and track down Ash!
    With a 22 you have two ideas that mostly fit the bill.
    The first one is a fairly simple and cheap (5 sp in material costs) concoction that is often used to prepare equipment for experiments and the like, but will need to be reapplied every couple of months.
    The other one will be basically permanent but is significantly more expensive and difficult to make, running at 25 gp in materials and a check to make it in the high twenties.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

I think I could try going for the permanent solution, just because it's cool. It should be pretty easy with skills like magecraft and crafter's fortune (and tools!) supporting Shandara.

Although now that I think about it, is the particular crystal lens we use tied to that specific spybug? Or if the spybug got lost, stolen, or destroyed, could you use the same lens for a different spybug?

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Troll in the Playground

I think I could try going for the permanent solution, just because it's cool. It should be pretty easy with skills like magecraft and crafter's fortune (and tools!) supporting Shandara.

Although now that I think about it, is the particular crystal lens we use tied to that specific spybug? Or if the spybug got lost, stolen, or destroyed, could you use the same lens for a different spybug?
    The lenses are tied to the glasses. If you lose the spybug but recover its lenses you can reuse them, but if you need an entirely new spybug you'd also need a new set of goggles, or re-enchant the current ones.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

So it sounds like we should definitely go with the cheaper option then that has to be applied every few months. You can't possibly expect that nothing happens to these bugs, unless they have powerful camouflaging or invisibility magic constantly.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Oh boy! Probono work! :D

Alright, let's see what this boat will require. Obviously DeTess, I'm gonna need you to make some calls here!

A 2 man rowboat costs 50gp. But this boat seems large enough to have a sail - even if it's not the sail they have - which, of the stuff on the SRD, most resembles the Ship's Boat. That's for a single masted vessel with between 2 and 5 sets of oars, with a hull between 16 to 30 feet long - at the stately sum of 500gp.

I could build such a boat going through the normal crafting process. But if you'd like to knock some percentage off that starting price, I can use the reduced cost as the base to generate the timeline for how long it will take to fix it and how much investment will need to be made to get it up to snuff!

Or alternatively, you can just say "It'll take this much money and this long" and we'll go with that! But as for Aiden's disposition, he's keen to help, and is pretty willing to ship-of-Theseus this thing - replace almost the entire thing bit by bit so the enterprising yoofs feel like they found a ship that got fixed up.. rather than they found some scrap wood that Aiden incorporated into an entirely new boat for them!

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Troll in the Playground

@mrabdiel,

There's a couple approaches you could take. The absolute minimum that needs to happen is to solidly plug the gaps that have appeared and re-tar the hull. That'd only run you like 3 gp in material, but would take a day or two of work, even assuming you get some help from the boat's owners. This would also be a mostly temporary solution, the plugs would eventually break, though probably not catastrophically, so no risk of the boat suddenly sinking, unless it got caught in really bad weather.

A more comprehensive approach would involve replacing the panels on the hull that are warped in the worst way. Costs for that would start at 30 gp and a bout a week of worth, but if you can get the planks you need pre-shaped, rather than needing to cut them yourself out of wooden beams you could cut it down to 4 days of work, but costs would go up to 60 gp (including everything else you need) This should be good for a couple years provided the rest of the ship is maintained, but eventually the rest of the hull would need replacing, and doing it plank by plank as they need will be more work than doing a full overhaul.

The full overhaul would involve replacing something like 80% of the hull. This'd take a lot of time and be quite costly, think around 180gp in materials and several weeks of work, plus you'd probably need to rent a small drydock or similar to do it in. The other options could be done right there on the little gravel beach.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2022-06-27 at 01:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Troll in the Playground

Just a quick FYI, I'm on holiday from tomorrow till tuesday, so won't post in that period.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    @mrabdiel,

There's a couple approaches you could take. The absolute minimum that needs to happen is to solidly plug the gaps that have appeared and re-tar the hull. That'd only run you like 3 gp in material, but would take a day or two of work, even assuming you get some help from the boat's owners. This would also be a mostly temporary solution, the plugs would eventually break, though probably not catastrophically, so no risk of the boat suddenly sinking, unless it got caught in really bad weather.

A more comprehensive approach would involve replacing the panels on the hull that are warped in the worst way. Costs for that would start at 30 gp and a bout a week of worth, but if you can get the planks you need pre-shaped, rather than needing to cut them yourself out of wooden beams you could cut it down to 4 days of work, but costs would go up to 60 gp (including everything else you need) This should be good for a couple years provided the rest of the ship is maintained, but eventually the rest of the hull would need replacing, and doing it plank by plank as they need will be more work than doing a full overhaul.

The full overhaul would involve replacing something like 80% of the hull. This'd take a lot of time and be quite costly, think around 180gp in materials and several weeks of work, plus you'd probably need to rent a small drydock or similar to do it in. The other options could be done right there on the little gravel beach.
    Aiden's not the kind of lad to give scrappy street kids anything less than the most help he can. I'll cross off 180GP for the materials. But ooh, ooh! I don't think I'll need the drydock . It's only a smallish single-sail fishing boat. I can get a wagon with a long bed to put it on, and tow it back to the barn - part of the reason I had a giant barn built on Aiden's property was to be able to tinker with small seacraft and use his points in Craft: Shipwright!

In fact, because playing a low wisdom character is a great excuse to be unwise, I can spend even MORE money! And do even MORE crafting! But I don't want to wait a week of crafting to start working on this boat, so I'll pay (5g?) to rent a wagon for this purpose, and put making my own wagon on the project list for downtime.

Spoiler: The Wagon Project!
    Show
    Let's call a Heavy Wagon a complex item, since there's swingles and moving parts in this wooden arrangement that sets it apart from just a table or chair complexity. Heavy Wagons cost 100GP, which means it requires 1000SP worth of labor and a financial investment of 33gp 3sp 4cp. Complex items are DC 20 to craft; I can take DC 30 to accelerate the crafting easily enough, and take 10 on my carpentry checks to hit 32 with my master crafted tools. So I can punch out (30*32) 960SP of woodcrafting labor a week if I take 10. With odds like that, I'll roll the check to see if I can luck out and finish it in one week. Or if I can extort some work our of Markel and Cliff for a measly +2 bonus, and also teach them a skill in the process, it can be done as a sure thing.

That will wait until after the boat, though. This is just a post for me to look back on later!

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Aiden's not the kind of lad to give scrappy street kids anything less than the most help he can. I'll cross off 180GP for the materials. But ooh, ooh! I don't think I'll need the drydock . It's only a smallish single-sail fishing boat. I can get a wagon with a long bed to put it on, and tow it back to the barn - part of the reason I had a giant barn built on Aiden's property was to be able to tinker with small seacraft and use his points in Craft: Shipwright!

In fact, because playing a low wisdom character is a great excuse to be unwise, I can spend even MORE money! And do even MORE crafting! But I don't want to wait a week of crafting to start working on this boat, so I'll pay (5g?) to rent a wagon for this purpose, and put making my own wagon on the project list for downtime.

Spoiler: The Wagon Project!
    Show
    Let's call a Heavy Wagon a complex item, since there's swingles and moving parts in this wooden arrangement that sets it apart from just a table or chair complexity. Heavy Wagons cost 100GP, which means it requires 1000SP worth of labor and a financial investment of 33gp 3sp 4cp. Complex items are DC 20 to craft; I can take DC 30 to accelerate the crafting easily enough, and take 10 on my carpentry checks to hit 32 with my master crafted tools. So I can punch out (30*32) 960SP of woodcrafting labor a week if I take 10. With odds like that, I'll roll the check to see if I can luck out and finish it in one week. Or if I can extort some work our of Markel and Cliff for a measly +2 bonus, and also teach them a skill in the process, it can be done as a sure thing.

That will wait until after the boat, though. This is just a post for me to look back on later!
    Yeah, renting cart and towing it t your barn is also an option. If you just need the wagon for a day it'll only cost you 1 gp (and a 25gp deposit,. but I doubt that'll be an issue and you'll get it all back afterwards), but unless you have some pretty powerful telekinesis or strength-buffing magic (or some other trick up your sleeve), you'll need some help to get the boat up from the gravel beach. hiring a couple dock-workers and a small mobile crane would set you back another 9 gp.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

As a matter o’ fact, I began play with a belt of heavy load, which gives me the effect of the Anthaul spell! Which triples carry/drag capacity. Typically he lets Ambrose wear it because he’s an old horse and Aiden notices he’s getting tired and slower, but I’m sure between Ambrose, Aiden in his belt, and a bit of rope, they can get it up to wherever they can mount it on a wagon!

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that ought to do the trick as well then.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Firbolg in the Playground

@Windstruck
    We can move on from the Britcom. I just realized that I never actually wrote Bolten drinking the tea that sounded so good to him. I'd actually like to get those projects done so that Aiden can be brought in and Bolten finally gets paid enough to work on his clockwork familiar that I've been wanting for several months now.

@DeTess
    Bolten will try to get in touch with Lady Orlof to see if there is a way that he can get Dukkear's measurements. Not just for the helmet, but also for the gyroscopic harness that he has to make to attach to the SCORP.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Troll in the Playground

@mrabdiel, how exactly are you planning to go about finding a cook?

@bolten, where you planning on dropping by Lady Orlof, or simply send her a message with a request for the information?

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Titan in the Playground

As for me, I'll need Shandara to actually enchant, or "program" the controlling gem. Shall I make an arcana roll?

18. - Top - End - #1188

Bolten's pretty new to the spy game, but he will drop by in person to pick up the measurements.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

@mrabdiel, how exactly are you planning to go about finding a cook?
    I figure he'll go around to the local hands who helped him build the house, and ask if there's someone they know who has those skills who could use a job. Word of mouth! Because his own knowledge local is garbage, you see; he must rely on the friends he has made. Rolling persuasion seems not quite on the mark here; but let me know if you want a roll of something!

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck, yes, if you would?

@prehysterical, if you want I could do a bit of RP around it, but otherwise there's little issue getting the measurements. However, lady Orlof is pretty busy when you get there, or so you're told, and you don't get to see her in person, instead one of her employees quickly gets you the information you asked for.

@mrabdiel, Diplomacy can also be used for gathering information, so that would seem an appropriate use of that skill.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. Shandara will think on it, prep some, and then attempt it the next day with good old Investigative Mind.

(1d20+17)[19] or (1d20+17)[25]

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

@mrabdiel, Diplomacy can also be used for gathering information, so that would seem an appropriate use of that skill.
    Then BRACE YOURSELF FOR MY GENIUS.

(1d20+15)[30] Diplomancy to fight a skilled and deserving cook/maid/housekeeper.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Troll in the Playground

@mrabdiel, you where planning on looking around in the poorer districts, right?

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Indeed; specifically near to his house and moving outward from there (thus starting by asking the workers on the crew who helped build it). If there's someone who has kids and needs to be within walking distance of work, or something, that would work in their favor. But yes, starting with Stormdrains people!

25. - Top - End - #1195

Yeah, no need to RP such a simple interaction. Bolten will pick up the measurements from the employee and is on his way.

In the meantime... Bolten is going to think about any potential material for the helmet that might help with conducting mental energies.

Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+12)[24]
    Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+11)[27]
    Knowledge (Planes): (1d20+7)[10]

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

At the very least, the helmet should be sturdy so it provides some protection.. yeah?

27. - Top - End - #1197

At the very least, the helmet should be sturdy so it provides some protection.. yeah?
    ...Are you really armor-splaining right now?

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

Uh.. I don't know?

Just saying I think I'd prefer a material that is strong and protective, rather than something that is conductive to mental energies but has the strength of tin foil.

On the other hand, I think a material that would block out mental energy is bad too.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck, you mention tog et your side of the controlling design done without issue, as it is quite similar to the work you'd done before for the clockwork legs

@mrabdiel, you do a bunch of asking around and learn of 3 promising candidates.

Eva Golino runs a small communal kitchen project not too far from where you live. A bunch of local laborers contribute either ingredients or a little money and she uses it to prepare food for them all.

Ross Vouivre is a retired fisherman living across the street from you. He doesn't seem to have much to do and is probably just living out his final days on whatever savings he might have. However, you noticed before that he does tend to spend a lot of time in the kitchen and the various sea-food based dishes he makes smell delicious. You doubt he's looking for a job at this point but if you like seafood, it might be worth a shot tos ee if he's willing to make food for you as well.

Marian Page used to work as a maid for a rich merchant, but an incident left her with horrible burn-scarring to her face, which has made it pretty much impossible for her to find new work. She can apparently cook, and should be able to help with many other household chores besides, but from what you've heard the incident has left her depressed and fearful, so getting her to work for you and regain some confidence will be quite the project.

@prehysterical, most materials suitable for channeling mental energies are pretty much unsuited for making helmets. There is a large variety of crystals that can function like that, and you know that grinding them up and alloying them with copper or mithril should result in a suitable metal, but you'd be sacrificing protective properties to get there.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2022-07-10 at 01:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

@mrabdiel, you do a bunch of asking around and learn of 3 promising candidates.

Eva Golino runs a small communal kitchen project not too far from where you live. A bunch of local laborers contribute either ingredients or a little money and she uses it to prepare food for them all.

Ross Vouivre is a retired fisherman living across the street from you. He doesn't seem to have much to do and is probably just living out his final days on whatever savings he might have. However, you noticed before that he does tend to spend a lot of time in the kitchen and the various sea-food based dishes he makes smell delicious. You doubt he's looking for a job at this point but if you like seafood, it might be worth a shot to see if he's willing to make food for you as well.

Marian Page used to work as a maid for a rich merchant, but an incident left her with horrible burn-scarring to her face, which has made it pretty much impossible for her to find new work. She can apparently cook, and should be able to help with many other household chores besides, but from what you've heard the incident has left her depressed and fearful, so getting her to work for you and regain some confidence will be quite the project.
    Excellent. Eva seems like she's already doing God's work out there; and Ross seems like someone I will keep in my rolladex to hook up to Markel and Cliff later when I am suddenly possessed of the desire for a broader, ocean-to-table culinary endevour. I want to be friends with all of them, but Marian is defiantly the one who seems like she could most use the break. So I'll take a swing at convincing her to consider the opportunity. I'll do a little IC thing!