New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Apologies for going MIA for a bit, my holiday just ended which meant I had to catch up on two weeks worth of work.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Do you think Bolten and Shandara will run into any other issues with completing the SCORP?

We've also just had a RP of meeting up so. Hm.

Maybe we need to give it a good field test perhaps? Or maybe we can get straight to a demonstration for Dukkear? I'm still definitely looking forward to that.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground

I think you're mostly good to go at this point. Whether you want to do a test of your own first or skip straight to the live demonstration I'll leave to you.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Firbolg in the Playground

Doing a field test first seems more prudent, but my gut tells me that Bolten would want Dukkear present to see the SCORP in action for the first time. Of course, since it was his idea, Bolten would have the dubious privilege of serving as the test pilot...

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe we should just find a nice secluded place to give it a few test runs? Of course, not doing anything too dangerous. But I do think it would be best to test it out as much as possible before presenting it to Dukkear.

After all, how often is it that things go perfectly on the first try?

6. - Top - End - #1206

We can do that. (Don't know why you suggested taking it straight to Dukkear, then...)

We probably need something like a bridge. Guessing that there aren't many natural caves nearby. A warehouse is not really a representative test.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Well I guess what I meant was, going straight to Dukkear in terms of scenes.

Obviously, we should have tested it prior...

8. - Top - End - #1208

Is that something you want to RP out or do you just want DeTess to tell us how the contraption works out?

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

That, I'm really not sure, but I'd always be up for what is most intereseting.

One question for starters.. just how big is this whole contraption going to be? Assuming we do go out to test it, it would probably be fairly hard to conceal right?

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    One question for starters.. just how big is this whole contraption going to be? Assuming we do go out to test it, it would probably be fairly hard to conceal right?
    Someone wearing it would be large-size, so would be pretty easy to spot if you did it somewhere crowded. There are a couple of places not that far form the city that are often sued by artificers wanting to test gear away from prying eyes though, like a couple old quarries and the like.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2022-07-19 at 10:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Someone wearing it would be large-size, so would be pretty easy to spot if you did it somewhere crowded. There are a couple of places not that far form the city that are often sued by artificers wanting to test gear away from prying eyes though, like a couple old quarries and the like.
    Sounds like a nice little field trip we could have. Maybe rent out a wagon to transport it and ourselves, bring some lunch/dinner or something with us.

I'm assuming if we were to do this in broad daylight, Xavier won't accompany us right? I am afraid testing at dusk or at night would be a bad idea.

Hm. Maybe I could swing by the Midnight Guard office and see if there was anyone available for a few hours job.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-07-19 at 07:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1212

An old quarry sounds perfect.

Actually, would it matter if we tested at night? After all, the test is being simulated in the Underdark. Might as well get the full experience. We do want to take Xavier with us, if for no other reason than having some muscle in case Bolten falls from the ceiling and has the entire apparatus crushing him.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Testing at night could be possible, but I just want to emphasize all the heightened risks involved.

As you already would know, more undesirable people come out at night. Though I can expect we'd be driving the wagon through more of the main streets to get out of the city, which shouldn't be too bad, we'll then have to be leaving via the gates. I couldn't help but feel we would seem quite suspicious, and we might have to explain more than what we would like to about our project.

I also think that anybody traveling out of the city at night is also just asking for trouble. Don't you think bandits and highwaymen would be waiting right outside? Even with Xavier with us, I feel we would be easy pickings. And for this occasion, I think I would honestly have to start loading Shandara up with a bunch of combat spells and stuff just like in a conventional d&d game.

Then of course, there's the animals. I'm sure Shandara's familiar wouldn't mind the dark, but what lurks outside the city? Lions, tigers, bears, wolves? Visiting an abandoned quarry at night is probably not the smartest thing to be doing. I think the only thing we have going for us is that we can all see pretty well in darkness..

With all that said, I am not opposed to going out to test the machine, and I'm not opposed to bringing a bodyguard. I do think we'd be a lot better off going in the day, though. The fact that it's intended to operate in the Underdark is true, but light levels have absolutely nothing to do with its functionality.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-07-20 at 02:01 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Troll in the Playground

I'm assuming if we were to do this in broad daylight, Xavier won't accompany us right? I am afraid testing at dusk or at night would be a bad idea.
    His contract wouldn't require him to, but if you discuss this he'll indicate he is fine with a bit of (paid) overtime, especially if it means you do this during the daytime.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

His contract wouldn't require him to, but if you discuss this he'll indicate he is fine with a bit of (paid) overtime, especially if it means you do this during the daytime.
    His contracts is for the nights anyway, so.. of course if there was any overtime, it would have to be during the daytime?

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Troll in the Playground

His contracts is for the nights anyway, so.. of course if there was any overtime, it would have to be during the daytime?
    I more meant the 'especially if it means you do this during the daytime' in the sense of 'you don't take unnecessary risks for this test'.

@mrabdiel, could you roll me either a bluff check, a will save or a fortitude save?
    Last edited by DeTess; 2022-07-20 at 10:27 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1217

We can do it doing the daytime, but I will point out how that will make us even more conspicuous... especially to Shandara's rival. No option is perfectly safe and secretive. That's just the nature of developing tech for spies, unfortunately.

I guess if anyone asks what's in the wagon, we can make up a story about two star-crossed lovers going for a romantic weekend retreat in the countryside. Everyone will be so put off by the idea of a dwarf dating a drow that they'll be too busy working their heads around that to worry about what is in the wagon.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

@mrabdiel, could you roll me either a bluff check, a will save or a fortitude save?
    For a minute I was trying to figure out what the hell that test could be for, but I got it now! Versatile Performance means I can bluff bigly, so: (1d20+15)[18]!

Edit: bad roll… but still, 18 ain’t nothin to sniff at.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-07-21 at 12:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    We can do it doing the daytime, but I will point out how that will make us even more conspicuous... especially to Shandara's rival. No option is perfectly safe and secretive. That's just the nature of developing tech for spies, unfortunately.

I guess if anyone asks what's in the wagon, we can make up a story about two star-crossed lovers going for a romantic weekend retreat in the countryside. Everyone will be so put off by the idea of a dwarf dating a drow that they'll be too busy working their heads around that to worry about what is in the wagon.
    Oh no no no. I really think you have it backwards. Going out at night is definitely more conspicuous.

We might get some questions during the day about what our business is... but we will certainly get questions if we head out at night.

If we do get questions, however, hopefully we can just say we're members of the royal artificery society and want to test a device we made someplace remote and away from the city. Hopefully that covers it, and hopefully they've heard far crazier things than that.

In any case, I'm glad you agree with the idea. So, DeTess, are you going to make a scene, or shall we?

Uh, also. I think I should prepare for this outing. Maybe I should have Shandara add some spells to here book and prepare something more for combat or emergencies today. Her spell book is pretty dreadfully empty for a respected wizard! Well, kind of a wizard...

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

If it's alright, I think I'll learn the following spells and put them in Shandara's spellbook:

Shield
    Mage Armor
    Color Spray
    Cause Fear
    Burning Disarm

And I'll throw in a wand of mage armor too.

I believe the total cost would be 825 gp?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-07-21 at 06:51 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Troll in the Playground

In any case, I'm glad you agree with the idea. So, DeTess, are you going to make a scene, or shall we?
    Could you or Prehisterical do that? Either set it up at Bolten's place where the Scorpion is presumable stored if you want to discuss some stuff, or else as you're approaching the outer gate. Please include what kind of equipment you're bringing along and the like.

If it's alright, I think I'll learn the following spells and put them in Shandara's spellbook:

Shield
    Mage Armor
    Color Spray
    Cause Fear
    Burning Disarm

And I'll throw in a wand of mage armor too.

I believe the total cost would be 825 gp?
    That looks about right. If you want, you could do some checking around to see if you can find any mages willing to exchange spell knowledge (that way you'd only pay costs for the inks needed to scribe as you're essentially trading spells known). If so, could you roll me a diplomacy check?

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Titan in the Playground

If I'll be perfectly honest, I am not so sure if Shandara has much worth exchanging. There may be other wizards who don't have spells she does, but then what are the odds that she has spells that they want? And I am not sure if I'm even saving that much money.. a lot of money to the average commoner for sure, but I think it's less than her monthly stipend.

Well, anyway. I guess it's worth a shot rolling if that's what you're offering!

diplomacy: (1d20+10)[15]

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck, Shandara does some asking around and finds a chemist that's willing to allow you to copy over the shield spell in exchange for learning windy escape from you. If asked, he explains that he often works with volatile substances, so having more ways to get out of trouble if something blows up is always nice in his opinion.

You have no luck in finding someone to trade for the other spells with.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

@windstruck, Shandara does some asking around and finds a chemist that's willing to allow you to copy over the shield spell in exchange for learning windy escape from you. If asked, he explains that he often works with volatile substances, so having more ways to get out of trouble if something blows up is always nice in his opinion.

You have no luck in finding someone to trade for the other spells with.
    Okay. So if the writing cost for level 1 spells is 10 gp.. then I think I only saved 5 gp trading spells with that guy.

How much will Xavier's overtime cost today? Then I think I'll have a finalized total to deduct from my sheet.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Troll in the Playground

How much will Xavier's overtime cost today? Then I think I'll have a finalized total to deduct from my sheet.
    Depends on how long you expect to take. Overtime comes down to 5gp an hour, but if it's more than 4 hours (It is doable within that time limit if no issues appear, but only just) than there's an additional 40 gold surcharge, mostly because Xavier will have to get a potion to make sure he remains fully alert and ready.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not expecting any more than the 4 hours. We'd be leaving in the early afternoon I imagine, and hopefully arriving back around dusk. Dusk is around when his normal shift would start anyway.

Oh, also, I forgot about a fee for renting a wagon/animals. Just for the day, or half the day.

The IC post is up. Much like when one does go on a trip.. I hope I didn't forget anything.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-07-21 at 03:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Oh, hey... how many days in a year in this world? 365.25, as per normal?

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Oh, hey... how many days in a year in this world? 365.25, as per normal?
    Yeah, I have no compelling reason to mess around with that, so it's just the standard 365.25.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Prehysterical, I can only assume you are busy with real life work and stuff, but I'm just checking in regardless.

I don't intend for Shandara's little blunder to dominate the scene. I just thought it might be more interesting and maybe a little realistic, considering she hasn't really handled horses much before? But anyway, were you planning on having Bolten jump in or say or do something that would influence the events here? Or shall I just have a little 1 on 1 with the guards myself?

30. - Top - End - #1230

Yeah, sorry, I just haven't been able to think of anything more interesting than "Bolten sits there gawking". He's not a dwarf that likes confrontation, after all.

Shandara can have her one-on-one with the guard. If Bolten hears something that makes him want to step up in (like something that rhymes with spacism), then he can interject.