New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Boat, I reckon. Presuming they're both easily persuaded to do so - but Aiden's offering his time and skill effectively for free, so I hope so!

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Well before I forget, I'll have Shandara cast either Mending or Make Whole on the wagon to make it as good as new. I know it was at least scraped slightly on the front corner with her little mishap, and who knows if anything else got jostled up when we were running from the bear.

Then, another confession: I haven't really thought about and have neglected the costs for our work, I think. I'm sure I've got enough money for the materials and such, but I don't know what the costs would be for everything. You think it would just be simpler to just ballpark our net profit from the project when it's all done and been paid for?

---

I think, aside from what you have just said, I want to confirm: does the SCORP have a reliable power source that will last a long time? At least I know we practically have infinite water for the steam engine...

In addition to better camouflage for the Tick that Bolten was working on, did we ever decide to do something like a 1/day activatable invisibility charm on it? I still really think that would be immensely helpful should it ever be accidentally discovered.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Then, another confession: I haven't really thought about and have neglected the costs for our work, I think. I'm sure I've got enough money for the materials and such, but I don't know what the costs would be for everything. You think it would just be simpler to just ballpark our net profit from the project when it's all done and been paid for?
    IIRC materials where being arranged by the Orlof merchant house, so that's already taken care of

I think, aside from what you have just said, I want to confirm: does the SCORP have a reliable power source that will last a long time? At least I know we practically have infinite water for the steam engine...

In addition to better camouflage for the Tick that Bolten was working on, did we ever decide to do something like a 1/day activatable invisibility charm on it? I still really think that would be immensely helpful should it ever be accidentally discovered.
    The power source as it now stands is pretty reliable yes. As far as I know you haven't done something like the invisibility you just mentioned.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    @prehysterical, in addition to silencing the SCOPRS steps, what other things do you want to try to adjust.
    Since you stated previously that Bolten's design for the tick is so tight that he can include a couple of extra forms for disguises, he will do that. I can't think of anything beyond the clock, so just go with whatever Lady Orlof recommends/requests.

I'd also like to work on the audio receivers for the tick's glasses, per Lady Orlof's request from the test drive.

@Windstruck We never discussed that, but it's not a bad idea. If it's at all possible, might be worth considering. The only thing that I worry about might be if that would tip its magical signature too far.

Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+12)[13]

"Durr, it magic."
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2022-11-06 at 07:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I already have the tick permanently covered by Magic Aura to hide magical auras, so I'm not very worried about the invisibility thing showing up. There's already the silence enchantment on it as well, which filters out mechanical noises of the tick...

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

You guys: “We will create a suite of magi-tech spy goods with overlapping enchantments and mechanisms such that the world has never seen”

Me, an intellectual: “I makin’ a banjo!”

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Hey DeTess, do you want any more rolls from us? I think Shandara should know how to do silence each little leg thing.. just, there's 6 of them, so it may be a bit tedious.

As for the invisibility idea, that's something a little new. At least it's already a known spell.

8. - Top - End - #1328

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    You guys: “We will create a suite of magi-tech spy goods with overlapping enchantments and mechanisms such that the world has never seen”

Me, an intellectual: “I makin’ a banjo!”
    Bolten: "I didn't choose the spy life. The spy life chose me."
    *loudly slurps tea*
    I'm basically having to hold myself back from having Bolten perform the entire Industrial Revolution. He's already threatening to make record players, printing presses, and reconnaissance drones. That's not even getting into the possibility of mech suits and mobile artillery...

Meanwhile, Aiden is just trying to make people's lives better.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

Hey DeTess, do you want any more rolls from us? I think Shandara should know how to do silence each little leg thing.. just, there's 6 of them, so it may be a bit tedious.

As for the invisibility idea, that's something a little new. At least it's already a known spell.
    The silence will go fine, but I do want a spellcraft or know(arcana) for the invisibility.

Once again my apologies for being sporadic in posting. I've been ill with a never-ending flu since early September, and this has been sapping a lot of energy.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

I guess there's no difference between either roll, right? I'll assume Shandara will prepare the investigative mind spell to help her, and she will be using the archives because I know invisibility is already a spell, and I'm already pretty sure something like this should exist already somewhere, be it on a magic trinket that can cast invisibility 1/day or something. So the only real issue I think is getting that effect to activate remotely when the user deems the bug to be in danger.

arcana: (1d20+19)[24] or (1d20+19)[21]

Also sorry you are not feeling well. Being sick for two months straight is not natural...

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Not stellar rolls. I'll assume it isn't quite enough?

Just to maybe get this over with, you think we can just hire someone else out to do it since Shandara is struggling for whatever reason?

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Troll in the Playground

Not stellar rolls. I'll assume it isn't quite enough?

Just to maybe get this over with, you think we can just hire someone else out to do it since Shandara is struggling for whatever reason?
    It's not that tricky, so a 24 will do the trick.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so just to confirm I've got the right things in mind.

@prehysterical, @windstruck, you can get your modifications done, shall I set up a demonstration at the Orlof merchant house next?

@mrabdiel, I'll set up the workshop with the boat and the two orphans, how do you want to gets started, just at the beginning with them arriving, or shall I move things slightly along and set things up to start during a little break?

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

I am fine to move on with with demonstration, if our modifications work as planned.

15. - Top - End - #1335

Yes, please!

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    @mrabdiel, I'll set up the workshop with the boat and the two orphans, how do you want to gets started, just at the beginning with them arriving, or shall I move things slightly along and set things up to start during a little break?
    If you give me the lads bright eyed and bushy tailed ready to learn, I'll give flyover of Day 1 on the Boat Restoration Project, getting us up to snack time. Then it will be my land; my tea!

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, there is one last-minute thing I seem to have forgotten.

Could I purchase the rights to a featherfall spell to add to Shandara's spellbook, and then prepare it for today? Featherfall in addition to resistance (which PROBABLY DOES have a high chance of overlapping) would be really good safety precautions should someone want to try it out themselves and suffer a mishap.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, there is one last-minute thing I seem to have forgotten.

Could I purchase the rights to a featherfall spell to add to Shandara's spellbook, and then prepare it for today? Featherfall in addition to resistance (which PROBABLY DOES have a high chance of overlapping) would be really good safety precautions should someone want to try it out themselves and suffer a mishap.
    Yeah, you can.

19. - Top - End - #1339

I'm saying this now so that you aren't left wondering... My museum's non-profit reaccreditation is happening tomorrow, so I'm not in much of a writing mood right now. I will try to catch up in a few days after the storm has passed. Hoping for clear skies and not more thunderclouds.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

your museum's what now??? I take it you don't own a museum.. so you work at one?

Do you plan to have Bolten say something or react at this time, or might it be okay for me to continue a little conversation using just Shandara?

I think at the very least, it is reasonable to assume Bolten may shyly introduce himself and say hello.

21. - Top - End - #1341

Yes, I work at one.

I'll work on a proper post now.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

I made one long spiel. Don't mean to steal the scene. It's both our character's work after all.

My only worry is that Bolten might have had his heart set on presenting the Tick rather than the SCORP but.. well, I think he's more suited to give a live demonstration, isn't he?

Still willing to scrap or modify whatever you all deem necessary.

23. - Top - End - #1343

Hey, so, between the servers being down over the weekend and me being surprisingly busy at the end of last week, I didn't mean to just snooze through the prompt. I'm packing tonight to fly out tomorrow, so I will try to find some time to get a reply up.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Posted! Aiden is conceiving yet another plan; this one more likely to backfire than any before!

Question for you, DeTess. Of Aesha Silvertear's office, when Aiden was there last - I didn't ask at the time, but what was the general state of the place? The façade out the front, and the furniture inside, particularly? Aiden might make her a desk or a bookshelf or something to thank her for her help before he asks for it again.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Posted! Aiden is conceiving yet another plan; this one more likely to backfire than any before!

Question for you, DeTess. Of Aesha Silvertear's office, when Aiden was there last - I didn't ask at the time, but what was the general state of the place? The façade out the front, and the furniture inside, particularly? Aiden might make her a desk or a bookshelf or something to thank her for her help before he asks for it again.
    The place was clean and well-maintained and all furniture seemed to be of decent to good quality, but lacking decoration, and some things did seem to be getting on in age. You'd have noticed her desk has quite a bit of wear and tear on it that renewed layers if paint or lacker couldn't quite hide.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Aw yiss. I’m gonna make a nice desk.

This is an unusual escapist fantasy for me but do I ever dig it. :)

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Putting this here, for later reference. The Desk Project.

Spoiler: The Desk Project!
    Show
    Let's call a Desk a Typical Item, at DC 10 because it's a pretty simple construction all things told, not requiring much in the way of special skills. I might kick it up to a High Quality Item at DC 15, because I'm trying to make a very nice desk and you can't really 'masterwork' things that aren't armor, weapons, or tools.

Next thing to guess is price. The SRD lists items for Tables, but it only lists weight; the prices are unclear. So we'll have to extrapolate. Comparable items with large wooden parts and minor mechanical elements equivalent to drawers include:

Portable Altar (250GP, 40lbs)
    Ornate Coffin (100gp, 50lbs)
    Huge Chest (25gp, 250lbs)
    Rowboat (50GP)

Well, that's unhelpful. The Altar blows out the averages, but I think we can reasonably write that off to the altar also being a religious requirement for certain rituals and devotions, I guess? Eliminating that, about 50GP seems the right place to go. Since that's about the value of 2/3's of a year's wages for a common laborer, it seems good 'nuff. Willing, of course, to be corrected.

50GP means it requires 500SP worth of labor and a financial investment of 16gp 6sp 7cp. High Quality items are DC 15 to craft; I can take DC 25 to accelerate the crafting easily enough, and take 10 on my carpentry checks to hit 32 with my master crafted tools. So I can punch out (25*32) 800SP of woodcrafting labor a week if I take 10. With odds like that, I'll roll the check to see if I can luck out and finish it faster - there's only a 2/20 chance I beef it and take longer than needed.

So many crafting projects. I really need those magic crafting tools so I can do stuff like this quicker...
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-11-29 at 06:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

I wish I could give you luck, or some kind of reroll...

alas, I don't even think feather fall can help Bolten. Still, I'm on standby just in case.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

In case you are waiting on me, I don't really have anything to add at this time. Shandara is just standing by to see the results of Bolten's demonstration.. and the reactions.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Troll in the Playground

No, just had a very busy and tiring long weekend. I'll try to post today or tomorrow.