New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    That having been said, could you roll me a fortitude save, adding +3 from the amulet you had while in the hospital, and adding any other bonuses you might have against diseases? Unless you're actually immune to diseases, of course.
    This is exactly why Shandara is going nowhere near that Stormdrain District.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    This is exactly why Shandara is going nowhere near that Stormdrain District.
    Understandable, Shandara is pretty vulnerable. Keep her safe! She has a prosperous future! Shandara and Zeal still need to become friends.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

I liked the fluff you put into that post Elbeyon but it has left me a little confused about how much control we have over the world. DeTess, are we allowed to just make up 'ideal' alchemical ingredients like (I think) Elbeyon did. Can I just start describing the process of crafting a concoction and put in ingredients that I invent ad hoc in order for the brew to do what I want it to?

Also DeTess, back when Z left Ronce he left a note with a list of ingredients for the receptionist to get as agreed with Ronce. If you did comment on that I missed. When can he pick that up and were the ingredients as much worth as I suggested?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    I liked the fluff you put into that post Elbeyon but it has left me a little confused about how much control we have over the world. DeTess, are we allowed to just make up 'ideal' alchemical ingredients like (I think) Elbeyon did. Can I just start describing the process of crafting a concoction and put in ingredients that I invent ad hoc in order for the brew to do what I want it to?
    You can describe it like that, definitely. Doing some research in advance might reveal particularly effective ingredients, but you're a skilled alchemist, so your character would have some ideas nonetheless.

How ideal those ingredients end up being if you do it this way is of course largely dependent on the craft check that follows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    Also DeTess, back when Z left Ronce he left a note with a list of ingredients for the receptionist to get as agreed with Ronce. If you did comment on that I missed. When can he pick that up and were the ingredients as much worth as I suggested?
    Ronce works quickly when properly motivated. It should be ready for pickup the next morning. I'll do some rolling once you go to pick it up.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Zeal has a lot of work to do with the plague! I would have included failures at Arcane Arts and Crafts, but I ran out of time. My intention on ending with Zeal starting on an altered batch was to show that there were improvements and changes she was making to the recipe. She's going to do her homework and try to work through any problems. Like DeTess said: she needs to make iterations, balance the ingredients, and deal with some poor interactions. She did it off screen!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

@Sonderje, the Ingredients from Ronce are all there, matching your list. However, it does seem like Ronce got them from the clearance sale of herb shop or similar, as lot of it is very old. It should all still be functional, but some ingredients have lost a bit of potency, which means you need to use a bit more than usual to get the same effect.

It takes you about 2.5 days to get all 4 of your designs to the point that you feel comfortable testing them on patients. You'd probably be a bit worried about your first two designs, not with regards to its effects, you're fairly certain it'll do what you designed it to do, but about the effect on the patient while the disease burns itself out. It might be best to first test it out on relatively healthy patients with mild symptoms, before testing it out on those that are worse off. Though given its effects, it might also work at cleansing contaminated food or water, provided there is such a source to target.

@Elbeyon After some time studying the books you definitely have some design ideas to make the sipping sleeve work. In particular, you've learned about a particular type of salamander that drinks through its skin, and you've got some solid ideas about how to replicate that effect in humanoids, and how to hold a sufficient amount of moisture for the patient to absorb this way.

@Elbeyon, @sonderje, both your alchemical solutions will be done around the same time. Is there any particular strategy you had in mind for testing and distributing your first batches to confirm it works as it should?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Are we all going to be at about the same point in time, now that we have planned out and designed our.. um.. crafts?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Are we all going to be at about the same point in time, now that we have planned out and designed our.. um.. crafts?
    Roughly, yeah. More varying craft-times might be better for verisimilitude, but game-technically, keeping everyone at roughly the same point in time is probably a better idea. I'm planning picking things up at the 'everyone's done crafting' mark on sunday, maybe on saturday, but there's two people who still have some time to fill, @pi4t and @armonia to be precise.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-29 at 12:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    @Elbeyon After some time studying the books you definitely have some design ideas to make the sipping sleeve work. In particular, you've learned about a particular type of salamander that drinks through its skin, and you've got some solid ideas about how to replicate that effect in humanoids, and how to hold a sufficient amount of moisture for the patient to absorb this way.

@Elbeyon, @sonderje, both your alchemical solutions will be done around the same time. Is there any particular strategy you had in mind for testing and distributing your first batches to confirm it works as it should?
    Nice! That's really cool. Zeal needs to go shopping.

I can do a post for this. Zeal's focus was always saving lives so her strategy will be centered around that. The main limiting factor in the cure is Zeal; she is only a single alchemist with a single alchemy workshop. Zeal's cure needs to "prove effective" for others to support it. She will send a portion of her cure to campus alchemist and biologist with copies of her notes and formulas. She will eat the cost at her workshop to produce as much solution as she can by herself, 8 goods per day. She herself is going to take the majority of the cure back to Light's heart hospital. She will want to treat the people in the most critical condition first to try to stabilize them and prevent more from dying. That's why she was so focused on removing the blood/liquid from people's lungs, and the medicine is taken through the lungs. The doctors at the hospital should know the sickest, but Zeal can also use detect magic to find the strongest magic in people's lungs to increase speed/accuracy. Detect magic can almost be used as a "detect disease progression." Her cure is burned in a thurible/censor, so if the sickest are gathered on one floor, perhaps, she can treat them at the same time if she burns enough of her thurible bricks around the room.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-01-29 at 02:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

I should note that Valet familiar means that Z crafts items in 50% of the usual crafting time. If we're looking at syncing people up I guess I can spend some time on other projects and take a break to do something else?

Z priorities a good spread of ages, species, and representations of the various stages of the disease so he'll know whether the cures works on all groups.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-01-29 at 03:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Nice! I really liked Z's proper science method. Z and Zeal are going to body this disease together!

Valet familiar is great!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah! We'll do it!

Honestly I would have loved to work together on it but I couldn't find a way to while maintaining the exclusivity for Ronce. This is probably good as well.

It really is. I took it mostly for flavour but then realized the coorporative crafting stuff.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-01-29 at 04:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

I would have pushed for working together more too except exclusivity is a dealer breaker for Zeal. She never would have agreed to try to protect the formula for personal gain. She is charitable and has a sense of duty towards people and helping them. Her sharing knowledge is probably going against her desire for fame, but her ideals are a higher priority than recognition.

I really wanted a Valet familiar too, but Zeal isn't a human and only has three feats. She has no feats to spare because she has a three feat chain. She doesn't need to sleep though! That's nice. She may not be able to work as efficiently, but she can work harder! Not that her working longer helps her shop at all; they have business hours. And, I don't see anything in the rules about paying people overtime.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-01-29 at 04:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I get that. I am hoping that both cures works and give Ronce the worse one It needs to work well but not super well.

They should definitely have rules for people working overtime.

I just looked at your sheet and I realized that our builds are so similar. How did you manage to get those feats? I needed to get a crafting feat at lvl 1 to qualify for Exceptional Artisan and couldn't find anything useful so I ended up wasting a feat on craft poppet.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-01-29 at 07:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

The more people that try to help with the plague the better! Zeal is still curious about the cause since no one seems able to determine that. Zeal is super busy making the alchemy items and magic item. She'd like to find the cause though, but since crafting is more the focus of the game I think I should drop the topic for another time.

Hah. Overtime would be something.

The characters are different though and that's what matters! Poppets are great! I'm probably going to make some in the future just because they are so cool. I love little constructs. And, I paid to retrain one of Zeal's feats.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm sorry, but this campaign is moving far faster than I'd anticipated and I'm struggling to keep up with what's being written, let alone write anything myself. I'm going to bow out.

Sorry to mess you around, and enjoy the game!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

That's fair though I'll be sorry to see you go and that I really don't think that your posting speed has been a problem. This game has a pretty individualistic nature, I don't think you're obligated to keep up with what other people are writing unless you are interacting(and you can actually make a case for that improving your ability to not metagame when interacting with other players) and you definitely haven't slowed things down yet.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

The content of my posts has been rushed, but I can live with it. The sewer commission finished pretty fast, and I want get the players back in the game as soon as possible! I left my campus posts a little open in case anyone wanted to join them, but I'm going to try to wrap them up since we're moving forward soon.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    I'm sorry, but this campaign is moving far faster than I'd anticipated and I'm struggling to keep up with what's being written, let alone write anything myself. I'm going to bow out.

Sorry to mess you around, and enjoy the game!
    Hey, I think I'm gonna drop as well. It's not that it is moving too fast, I'm just having difficulty following what's going on. Also I severely overestimated my ability to handle multiple games as well as real life. I hope things go well guys, I'll definitely check into the story every now and then cuz you guys are really interesting!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Firbolg in the Playground

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, guys. I'd say that it's really not a problem, but I will trust your judgment. Hope that RL and your other games go well.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I am sorry to see you guys go.

As Elbeyon said, a lot of it is individualistic.. but I guess in the long run that's probably not so fun as being able to interact with our other players.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sorry things didn't match up quite right for everyone.

As Elbeyon said, a lot of it is individualistic.. but I guess in the long run that's probably not so fun as being able to interact with our other players.
    That was Sønderjye! I really enjoy interacting with players too. I'm not that into solo play and enjoy the group experience.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

@armonia, @pi4t, I'm sorry to see you go. If at some point in the future you have more time, I can see about reintroducing your characters.

@Sonderje, @ Elbeyon, here are the results for the tests with your cure designs, feel free to work that into RP however you like.

Spoiler: test results
    Show

Design 1: Both variants you created seem to have the same effect. On a healthy person they do nothing, or induce a very slight fever that lasts for a couple of hours before fading. On someone with a mild case of the disease they cause a strong fever (strong enough to render the person bed-ridden that lasts for half a day, but afterwards the sufferer seems completely free of the disease, though they tend to complain of hangover like symptoms, likely due to liquid lost during the fever).
    You've tested it on a pair of sufferers that where suffering more from the disease, but the fever that followed was really bad, and for a little while ti looked as if they might succumb to it. However, once the fever broke they where free of the disease. If the pattern holds, this design for the cure would likely be extremely dangerous to those worst off. It'd still likely give the patients in the deadly final stages a better fighting chance, and would be better than nothing. However, design 2 seems to be better used for those cases.

Design 2a: Patients given this concoction show a marked decrease in symptoms. Mild sufferers seems free of the disease altogether, though checks with detect magic show that the disease si still present, and the patient will likely need repeat doses while the body fights off the disease. It helps even for most of those those worst off, weakening the symptoms and buying time for their bodies to fight off the disease. It seems particularly effective against the part of the disease that targets the bowels, but it does less to alleviate the coughing.
    Design 2b: Its effects are similar to that of design 2a, though they are more effective in those suffering from heavy coughing. Hoever, the design actually seems less effective on patients at the hospital, or those undergoing some other form of treatment as well. This is likely because the spelleater spit deals with all magic acting on the body, including that of other treatments.

Spoiler: Elbeyon
    Show

The sickest are actually all kept together and separated from those beter off in the hospital, so it's easy to find them all gathered together. It takes some time for your treatment to disperse through the air and being affecting the patients, but the difference is clear after even a couple of hours. The coughing has decreased markedly on all patients, and they're breathing easier. The fever and other symptoms are also somewhat alleviated, though to a lesser degree. The disease sin't gone, at least not yet, but your treatment is buying the patients time and strengthening their bodies so they can fight off the disease.

@windstruck, @Prehysterical, I'll set up the scene in th workshop in a bit. I don't think Shandara was there yet, but feel free to have her walk in at any time.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

At this point should Zeal try to improve the design, or should we be wrapping up this commission?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elbeyon View Post
    At this point should Zeal try to improve the design, or should we be wrapping up this commission?
    You could try improving it more, but the weaker points of your design are covered mostly by the brew designed by Sonderje (and you'd likely hear enough about his testing to determine as much). Between your curatives the outbreak will most likely be brought under control. It'll take some time and work yet on the part of the doctors and hospitals, but as long as sufficient remedies are available the disease can be brought under control with minimal further loss of life.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

That's wonderful news! Teamwork makes the dream work.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

I'll wait for Prehysterical to respond before having Shandara walk in.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Zeal's pocketbook really took a hit. All her liquid cash went into making goods to supply the hospitals. All the supplies she saved for crafting got drank up by the Sipping Sleeve. She used a lot of consumables as well. >< I'm glad I banked as much starting money as I did, but I didn't expect it to all disappear.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-01-31 at 04:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

That's why nobody should question if we have a few hundred or a thousand gold in the bank saved up from our stipends and stuff. Never know when you will need it!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly! Magic stuff is expensive, and Zeal belongs to the Artifice school. Banking money should be considered wise by the Society. I imagine if Zeal didn't have the money to make the Sipping Sleeve she would have had to submit her concept as a commission, and that would have delayed its construction. But, the people need it now. Though, I suppose how common is a plague, really?

I remember someone said that they were banking money in the requirement thread, and I thought that was a really good idea. I would have started with much less saved like most of my other characters if I didn't read that. I thought I had saved a lot, but it turned out to be barely enough.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-01-31 at 04:49 PM.