1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    *looks offstage*
    "Is that my cue?"
    Well, uh...

Maybe!

I wouldn't want to twist your arm, or anyone else's really. Okay, well I guess that's not entirely accurate. I was thinking maybe DeTess would have someone for me to talk to. But that's sort of a backup plan.

If Bolten happens to have some reason to go to such a place, by all means.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Well, uh...

Maybe!

I wouldn't want to twist your arm, or anyone else's really. Okay, well I guess that's not entirely accurate. I was thinking maybe DeTess would have someone for me to talk to. But that's sort of a backup plan.

If Bolten happens to have some reason to go to such a place, by all means.
    And if Bolten doesn't I can definitely bring someone in. Either is fine, with me, but this is up to bolten.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

I was just thinking that Shandara probably doesn't know the best way to get the imprints/engravings/etchings/whatever these technically are onto the copper pipe, and it would be a good RP opportunity.

Don't mean to hold anyone up either. You could even just say something like, "A supervisor over the premises helps Shandara," and be done with it.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

@DeTess, are the truth that is compelled from the truth spells subjective truth or objective truth? Does it prevent someone from saying something they think is false or something that is false about the world?

@Elbeyon, Sorry about the delay. Got caught up in life stuff.

@WindStruck, Thanks for making a scene that could involve another player. I think with as few people as we are that's the kind of stuff that'll keep the game running.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-09 at 07:42 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    @DeTess, are the truth that is compelled from the truth spells subjective truth or objective truth? Does it prevent someone from saying something they think is false or something that is false about the world?
    Subjective truth. You could say things that are untrue as long as you believe them to be true.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking a Elixir of Amnesia. If we're getting fancy maybe a Sequester Thoughts version? The sequester thoughts version would probably be 1k to include the 500 gold gemstone.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-02-09 at 02:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

@DeTess, Perfect!

@Elbeyon, Deal. I was worried for a hot sec when I saw that it could be restored with modify memory but given that's a 6th lvl spell that is unlikely to come into play.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Magic is always expensive. Z is probably familiar with amnesia. He could always consider drugs, lots and lots of drugs, to forget the day. Zeal would only think of going with the magic option or alchemy if there is an alchemy item for that.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, after cost reductions we're looking at something in the 100-200gp range for the elixir. Not something we'll want for every day use but for a one time event it's fine. Moreover it can be made during a single day since it's a magic item progress at a silly fast rate compared to the non-magical goods. So we could in theory wrap that scene up by the end of the day.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-09 at 03:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

My idea on what needs to happen.

Z signs over his research to Zeal in a secret contract, likely through the Society. Unless, we can make a legal contract ourselves.
    Z needs something to stop him from giving the drug to another person. Perhaps, he finds out that the Society has done everything needed for the plague. Kinda a sad result for him, but it's probably better than giving the 2nd drug to Ronce.
    Z forgets he ever worked with Zeal.

Zeal will use Z's research to further complete the commission. Obviously her approach was incomplete, so she continued her research.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-02-09 at 04:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, a party! Now THAT sounds fun for everyone!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

I bet gnome parties are wild! This whole plague thing is real a downer, you know, and a party sounds ideal once the city has thins thing beat!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

On board with the contract thing. @DeTess, how are contracts usually handled?

I'm not sure I get your second point? Why wouldn't he just use the elixir to forget the piece of information that he had made a second treatment and one to forget that he made this deal?

Otherwise that works fine. I, as a player, would appreciate getting some of the money(assuming that stuff happens) for what whoever pays for licencing the formula, possibly in donations to Z's workshop, though Z care more about getting the cure out than the money(even if the money is nice) so I'd also just cope with not getting anything.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

I only imagined the use of one elixir. More could be worth it.

Zeal is not so greedy that she'd try to use Z's commitment to helping people against him for profit! I'm sure we can figure out some way to compensate Z! I also didn't know Z had a workshop. I know we get a weekly 50 gold stipend, and that was going to increase as we became more known. Plus, we get a % commission from whatever we make and everything.

Edit: If we can do the contract without a third party, Zeal is trained in linguistics. She only has +6 though. That'd work if making a contract is DC 15. Take 20 might be available for DC 25.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-02-09 at 06:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Enough amnesia is always the answer?

Great, thanks for splitting it. What split feels good? 50/50 on whatever Zeal gets for this treatment?

Unrelatedly I am pondering possible next inventions and I am noticing that I don't know what stuff already exists and/or is widespread. While I thought it cool that the metal I mentioned early was used in worldbuilding, it also surprised me because I assumed it was obscure enough that it wasn't in wide use. DeTess would you be able to shed some light on the magical tech level of the world? In particular what kind of magics/items are used by the guards, by educational institutes, in manual construction, and by merchants? Also in logistics, criminology, mental enhancement/changes, and food production? Consensus on theories of the soul and what constitutes the self?
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-10 at 05:09 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. that would be a whole lot of info dump...

If you're thinking of inventing something, it may be better to just ask if what you were planning on creating already exists, or something similar.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

I recognize that yeah. I just have a lot of ideas and which ones are feasible depends on the setting. Here's a list of some of them

Spoiler: List
    Show

Food:
    Device that converts waste from the sewers into a powder that easily can be used by farmers. But with magic, are there any farmers and if so what are they already doing to increase crops?
    Exploring different plants and grafting a plant together that yields more food than existing agriculture.
    Device that converts waste directly into food.
    Device that just conjures food using conjuration magic like repeating trap for conjure food and water.
    Logistics:
    Two bags that are sympathetic-conjurationally linked so something that is put into one bag instead appears in the other
    Device that copies non-magical things put into it.
    Mental:
    A device that allows user to remove and store memories in it.
    A variant that allows the user to review memories stored in the device
    A variant that allows others to review those memories
    A variant that allows users to store/copy all memories related to some skill
    A variant that implants memories instead of viewing them, allowing users to acquire vast bodies of knowledge in a short time.
    A variant that allows the implant of a full memory set into an artificially grown brain/body to transplant consciousness. Heavily depends on how souls work in the setting.
    Anti-aging:
    A device that when worn or when used regularly uses healing magic to restore the damages caused by aging. Also heavily depend on how souls works.
    A creme that works like Unguent of Timelessness but works on entities that currently are alive in order to extend lifespan.
    Criminology:
    Previously discussed device that allows for identifying of spells cast.
    The detective vision device from earlier
    A device that tracks someone based on sympathetic resonance.
    A device that identifies who was present during some time
    A device to counter memory modifying that otherwise lets criminals weasel out of truth compulsion
    A map that allows one to, on a map, track the location of all instances of a type of prior linked object(i.e. guard badges)
    A device that counters illusions
    Various offensive and defensive capabilities
    Plagiagery:
    A device that uses the psychic imprint of a crafted object to learn how it was crafted. Hurr hurr.

The bottom line is that it's a long list and I don't want to do full writeup of all items when whether they could potentially be viable depends on the setting. I'm also happy exploring things in game(i.e. criminology) but even a laymans understanding is helpful for sorting in ideas. If little is known about souls I am also happy to go to town with experiments on that front.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-10 at 09:48 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

On board with the contract thing. @DeTess, how are contracts usually handled?
    Well, you need to find someone to summon a Devil for you, and in exchange for one or more souls they'll draft up an ironclad contract backed by punishment clauses from the Nine hells...

Or you could get a lawyer to do it. Fees for something as simple as an agreement of sale is generally about 10gp or so.

You could probably write it yourself with a bit of study as well, and there are basic fill-in templates for this sort of thing available in the archives.

Unrelatedly I am pondering possible next inventions and I am noticing that I don't know what stuff already exists and/or is widespread. While I thought it cool that the metal I mentioned early was used in worldbuilding, it also surprised me because I assumed it was obscure enough that it wasn't in wide use. DeTess would you be able to shed some light on the magical tech level of the world? In particular what kind of magics/items are used by the guards, by educational institutes, in manual construction, and by merchants? Also in logistics, criminology, mental enhancement/changes, and food production? Consensus on theories of the soul and what constitutes the self?
    General tech-level is late middle ages, renaissance or thereabouts, with some things probably a bit more advanced than that (because I don't have the time to learn what the state of science was during the actual renaissance on all fronts, so I'll play it by ear mostly), but you're also right now at the center of a vast empire, which means all the rare and obscure things are still reasonably accessible. That metal you mentioned would have been very difficult to get just about anywhere else, but here there was at least enough to be found to work it into pendants for most of the front-line medical personnel*.

Generally though, If you've got a cool idea it's highly unlikely I'll respond with 'this already exists' unless I'd either previously established its existence on screen, or it is very, very obvious.

For example, on the list you posted of ideas, you could probably advance most of those. Some of those (the anti-illusion device for example) might already exist in some form, but further advances can be made, while others are active fields of study that you could contribute to (like the plant research). A way to vastly extends people's lifespans is possible, but it won't be easy, and will likely be either extremely costly or impractical (for the simple reason that simple immortallity causes a rather seismic bit of setting upheaval, which is fine as a long-term thing, but not something you'll have done by next Tuesday).

The linked bags you mentioned have actually just been discovered by the Curator of artificery (I'd mentioned that to windstruck as part of their research, which means it had been established as a thing already), but as with all his designs, they'll need some refining and simplifying before it can be easily produced.

@prehysterical: there's also plenty of places where you'll get more of a back and forth. The Escribano workshop however is also a business that specialized in turning the designs from the Society into practical applications, and that includes the business side of it. Don't worry, not every hand-in of your projects will be quite as dry and business-like.

*A bit of background lore on that: When the disease just started breaking out, an unscrupulous Merchant bought up every scrap he could get. However, his daughter then got ill, and he donated it all to the church of Sarenrae in return for treatment for his child, The church then worked int into pendants to help protect the healers.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

@Sønderjye What? Zeal isn't interested in making a profit on something that isn't her work. Z will get all the money from drug. The only thing Zeal wants is her costs covered (aka the cost of any amneisa elixirs she makes). Does the drug have a name, or do you want Zeal to make the name since she is suppose to be the one inventing it. Zeal will get the credit for the drug, but that is sort of the idea. If for some reason the two drug commissions can't be separated 50/50 is fine.

I don't mind the 10 gold lawyer fee, but it's more a question if we want a third party at all. Zeal is trained in linguistics! I do kinda want to use that skill the more I think about it. It's not often people write/sign contracts in games!

@DeTess I think Zeal will stay away from devil contracts even if the devil is suppose to be a third party. The costs and risks would might be too high

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

I think Prehysterical could have been hinting that he'd hoped for a reaction to his work similar to Shandara's.

Maybe that's a fair point, but then again, it's all engineering field, and I'm sure all the people knew what they were looking at without much need for dialogue. On the other hand, Shandara was introducing a magical application, and they needed to call in one of their magical experts.

(I think her presence may have also cut any further interactions they could have had with Bolten short).
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-02-10 at 02:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

@Elbeyon, Fair enough. I'd feel good about you getting a good chunk of profit as well but I guess you'll decide on that one.

I second giving Zeal a chance to flex her linguistic skill. I don't mind the 10gp, the worry of the lawyer is involving more people.

I have 78gp on my sheet and each potion is 175gp after cost reductions. Do you have enough for reagents for the amnesia potion or will we have to wait on those until we have enough cash? Taking the money for those out of the profits once they roll in?

@DeTess, Thanks for the answer! That does clarify things and give me something to work with. My personal preference is to have consistent rules of the world and find ways to work with those but the rule of cool is also a valid approach.

Also, tell me more about these devil contracts and souls.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-10 at 03:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

@Sønderjye The potions are cheap. Zeal can cover it. She does have a different cost reduction than Z though, so the potion will cost more for her. It's more that a person can only make one magical item a day. So, Zeal could make one elixir today, but it'd take another day to make the second one. Perhaps, Zeal can make one elixir. And, Z can make his own elixir later to forget her made the drug.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

@DeTess, Thanks for the answer! That does clarify things and give me something to work with. My personal preference is to have consistent rules of the world and find ways to work with those but the rule of cool is also a valid approach.
    I'd prefer to be able to give you an entirely consistent and pre-meditated set of rules as well, but I just don't have the time to do the in-depth world-building required to be able to get an exact list of where every field is technologically speaking (which I'd also have to update over time). When a player shows an interest in a particular direction I can and will fill in things more, but I don't have the time to do it all in advance.

Also, tell me more about these devil contracts and souls.
    I was mostly joking... However, there are rumours about spells that would allow the summoning of an extraplanar being to arrange for supernaturally enforced contracts.

Now, these are just rumours and urban legends but sometimes you hear about a sudden unexplained death in a noble house after they had a public falling out with another house, or you hear things about merchants suddenly going under after defaulting on a contract, and one would start to wonder if there isn't some truth to it...

Also, I'm probably going to a bit of a step forward in time, probably two weeks from now (earlier if you look all set for it, later if you've all still got lots of RP going) where the current projects are all finished (with further payouts, rewards and other consequences), and a new set of commissions are added to the board as well. When that happens you'll all gain your first gestalt level as well, so that's something you might want to think about already.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Oh.. a time skip for everyone?

Seems a bit fast in my opinion... I guess this is assuming all the projects went smoothly without a hitch. Or did we all just roll too high for there to be a possibility for failure?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    @prehysterical: there's also plenty of places where you'll get more of a back and forth. The Escribano workshop however is also a business that specialized in turning the designs from the Society into practical applications, and that includes the business side of it. Don't worry, not every hand-in of your projects will be quite as dry and business-like.
    I'm sorry if that sounded passive-aggressive on my part, DeTess, but that wasn't me taking a dig at you through the character.

Bolten grew up without the presence of his father, he had a strict and perfectionist mother, and none of the other dwarves cared enough to help him find his way after the destruction of his home. Between all that, Bolten has something of a validation complex because he feels like the workshop is the only place where he is really accepted for his own accomplishments. In his own mind, there would be a lot of celebration and camaraderie between him and the engineers upon his discovery and Bolten would feel like part of the group for once. This is completely unrealistic and unfair to project onto the engineers, of course, but Bolten simply doesn't know any better due to his stunted social upbringing.

I was perfectly fine with how things went down, which is why I even threw in the bit about him recognizing his own insecurity. Rest assured, there was no beef in that word sandwich.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess
    I'd prefer to be able to give you an entirely consistent and pre-meditated set of rules as well, but I just don't have the time to do the in-depth world-building required to be able to get an exact list of where every field is technologically speaking (which I'd also have to update over time). When a player shows an interest in a particular direction I can and will fill in things more, but I don't have the time to do it all in advance.
    That sounds good to me. Thanks for the clarification. Do let me know if at any point it feels like I'm putting too much work on you.

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess
    Also, I'm probably going to a bit of a step forward in time, probably two weeks from now (earlier if you look all set for it, later if you've all still got lots of RP going) where the current projects are all finished (with further payouts, rewards and other consequences), and a new set of commissions are added to the board as well. When that happens you'll all gain your first gestalt level as well, so that's something you might want to think about already.
    Can we spend the time crafting and selling off screen in the meantime? I had a bunch of project planed over the next days
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-11 at 04:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

I don't mind timeskips. It's nice when games move forward IC. It feels good to get some roots in the game through the IC months.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I made that sound a lot more dramatic than intended. The 'timeskip' I mentioned would only be about 4 days, mostly to a point where the results of the various commissions start becoming visible (and any complications might start popping up, though I vastly underestimated the numbers you guys could put out, so it'll generally go about 98% right).

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

How much does Z get from the two treatments?

Also I think I'm about done with the scene with Elbeyon. I imagine the rest can happen nicely off screen though we should probably agree on the details of the contract. I'm also happy to go with a standard leasing contract or whatever people use for distribution and further work on works of others.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-11 at 01:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

@Sønderjye Would you like me to post IC about Zeal giving Z the contract details?