New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

Lost in thought for a time, Shandara eventually says. "Hm. Were you saying you needed help with -" before being nearly pushed out of the way by a large, burly man.

But throngs of more people were surely coming, swarming to see what the judges were offering such high praise to.

Shandara decides to back off and let the whole spectacle run its course.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-04-25 at 08:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

As Dusk fell, the markets slowly cleared ast the farmers and artisans broke down their stalls after having sold off most of their goods. The stalls with games and stages for theater troupes likewise closed up, though they'd be back the next day and the days after that as the festival continued.

Meanwhile, the parades that had slowly assembled int eh out-of-the-way places of the city take to the streets. Massive balloons depicting the spirits of the harvest or exotic animals float over the crowds, the balloons lit up from the inside with lanterns or magical lights. Decorated carts and carriages are pulled through the streets by draft animals, dancers and actors twirling amid the displays, and clockwork constructs of all kinds are on display as well, showing exotic animals and mythical creatures to the crowds. In the poorer districts these parades are accompanied by carts containing gifts of food and household items.

As the darkness deepens the revels only intensify, with groups of festival-goers going from inn to inn, the streets lit up brightly by lanterns, and the sounds of song and laughter spreading through all the streets. Even the occasional bit of fireworks lights u the sky above the city. Though these are mere forerunners tot eh spectacle that will arrive on the last night of the festival.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

As much cheer and joy of the season as there is in the air, Bolten behaves more like a student at a research conference. He makes an effort to see every clockwork contraption on display, hunting for inspiration for his own projects.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

All the stuff for sale was what interested Shandara the most, but as it began to grow dark, everyone was packing up their things. The silly little games, the theaters, they were also things that may have drawn her attention and been somewhat entertaining, but they, too, were going.

The parades and dancers also were not things Shandara would normally be interested in. But seeing as this was the first proper harvest festival she had witnessed, it was a lot of new sights and sounds, a lot of new things to take in. The clockwork creatures, similar to the ones she had seen earlier, were also a bit intriguing, but not much information could be gleaned just from watching them walk by from a distance. Overall, the parades were a spectacle that kept her full attention today, but maybe not tomorrow or next year.

As the sun fully set, Shandara's eyes grew more comfortable in the darkness, but glaring lights, be it the normal street lighting or decorative lanterns, were everywhere. When the first fireworks appear in the night sky, Shandara is caught off guard and nearly blinded by them. Overall, the festival during both day and night isn't really drow-friendly. But then again, why would it be?

Still, Shandara made do mostly by looking towards the ground most of the time, or squinting a bit at first as she looked up and around to avoid particularly bright lights burning into her eyes. She wasn't much for revelry. She wasn't even sure if she knew how to do a proper dance, and she just wasn't in the mood for going wild and flailing about gaily.

But at least Bolten was still there. His calmer, more studious demeanor was like a comfort to her. A bedrock of stability. "Well, this has been an.. interesting experience," Shandara says. "Would you like to go somewhere to eat? Or, no... any place we go will probably be too crowded..." Then again, maybe most of the establishments would be doing something for the festival as well? Which would of course be drawing more people. It was a tough choice for Shandara. Experience a bit more, at the cost of maybe being in a really uncomfortable spot?

5. - Top - End - #275

Blinking as if emerging from a trance, Bolten considers Shandara's question. "Hrmmm... Sure, why not? It's a special occasion and I rarely do so. Sure, we could just go home and eat, but I do that every other night! Besides, I think I've learned everything that I can here." Turning his head to actually look at her, Bolten asks Shandara, "So, what are you in the mood for? Roast? Something sweet? Spicy? I hear there's a place in the city that sells specially flavored ice. Of course, if you're wanting a bit closer to home, we could try to find a place with Underdark style cuisine."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara looks down and quietly says, "I'm not sure. I think I am more concerned with it just being some place that isn't too loud or crowded..."

7. - Top - End - #277

"Er, well uh... The Ankheg Keg? The Bullywug Jug? Krenshar Kebabs? Legs and Eggs? Brewer's and Stewer's? The Interplanar Host of Planecakes? The Dragon's Den? Treetop Stop? Love at First Bite?" At this point, Bolten is throwing out any name he can think of to see what sticks.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Bolten rattled off a bunch of names of places, but Shandara hadn't even heard of half of them. She remembered going out of her way to try The Interplanar Host of Planecakes once, just to see if there was anything unique about the place. It seemed a number of people with blood of beings from different planes frequented there, and the cuisine was a bit odd.

"The Mushroom Garden?" Shandara suggests. She had been there a few times. It was one of those places that had more of the underdark food Bolten had mentioned before, but the problem was it was.. fairly expensive. The place had very dim light normally. So at the very least, there probably wouldn't be bright lanterns everywhere to blind the occupants.

9. - Top - End - #279

So what if it was a little pricey? It was a special occasion and Bolten doesn't mind a little darkness.

Bolten nods. "Sure! I hear that they've got great pasta there! Might try the carbonara."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

It seemed the drow and dwarf pair had finally decided on a place to eat. On the way, they spot Z, who also recognizes them in turn. Remembering what they were about to discuss prior to the stampede, Shandara says, "Hey, Z. We were heading to The Mushroom Garden. If you want, you can come, too.."

After a beat she says, "We are paying for ourselves, though."

The Mushroom Garden

The restaurant appears to be a small one-story building, no bigger than a tiny house or an extra-large shed. Much of the architecture is plain and utilitarian, though the front is embossed with a few decorations and depictions of arches, as well as having its name, "The Mushroom Garden" engraved prominently above the door. Some large, potted plants flank the entrance as well.

Just inside is the reception area, which contains a desk and a couple of host or hostesses, and some rarely-used extra seating. Today there is a chalk board crammed with more specials than usual, all written in varied colorful chalk.

However, the actual restaurant is underground. A broad set of steps, such that five to six people can comfortably walk side-by-side, begins to descend from the back of the reception area. Fountains trickle along both walls, interspersed with small rocks and sudden drops, creating small waterfalls and dozens of eddies, all making pleasant ambient noise.

Once you reach the bottom of the stairs, the restaurant unfolds into a much larger dining area. A somber environment and more privacy are emphasized here, and the lighting is oppressively dim for those not accustomed to darkness or without low-light vision. The colors are muted and decorations are sparse. The whole place seems like a maze at first, with all the dividers and numerous walls in the way, and the end result is that one seated party will rarely, if ever, be in direct view of another.

This restaurant has a bit of a reputation. Expensive. Lots of Underdark cuisine. Phenomenal food. The master of the kitchen is a loud, angry Duergar, called Horston Brassieve, who takes his craft more seriously than surgeons in a hospital. Whenever he is forced to make visits out of the kitchen, he can maintain a polite, if not coarse demeanor. Any of his underlings who mess up, however, are not spared such a courtesy. Those near the kitchen can feel the walls shake as he curses when riled up. The actual owner of The Mushroom Garden is more enigmatic, but is said to be a deep gnome.

Today, for the festival, the only real difference inside the restaurant are the occasional magic colored lights on the ceiling. They aren't very bright either. The menu is the same, but the hostess also hands out a small paper to accompany it, listing all the specials on the chalkboard at the front. She also offers a small candle lamp, should the party contain anyone who may have trouble seeing in the darkness.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-05-10 at 12:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

The Mushroom Garden

Z was actually incredibly busy all of a sudden, what with his newfound success, and had other people he needed to speak with first. So Shandara and Bolten continued on with their plans, just the two of them.

A hostess whisked them away down below, into the restaurant proper. It wasn't much more busy than it normally would be at this time. After all, the restaurant was pretty niche, and the common folk of Vaungate most likely preferred other more lively places. Especially ones they could actually afford going to.

Since Bolten and Shandara could see well in the dark, they weren't given a lamp. The menu was a bit intimidating. There were soups and salads. Lots of pastas. Seafood, shellfish, flat breads, and mushrooms. Every conceivable way to cook a mushroom, in more varieties that the average person could imagine. The average cost of an entree ranged from about 4sp all the way to 8sp. And some were even higher than that.

The paper with the specials, was as follows:

Appetizers
    Zesty Cockatrice Wings
    Kraken Calamari
    Spicy Fire Toad Fritters
    Main Course
    All You Can Eat Shrimp
    Tethyamar Truffles
    24 oz Beef Ribeye
    Artichoke & Grizzly Hearts
    Dessert
    Ambrosia Mousse
    Elf Fingers

Shandara looked at both menus and wasn't sure what to get. "Hm. Always so hard to choose here..."

It would help if she understood the menu, but she only definitively know what about half of it was.

12. - Top - End - #282

Bolten feels strangely comfortable in the subterranean restaurant... Even though his family's shop had been above ground, his dwarven instincts adapt very quickly to the surroundings. Honestly, if the ceiling was just a bit higher, this place would be home, sweet home for a minotaur...

He is not prepared for the sheer variety of dishes on offer. Most places only have a one or two-page menu, but this place is worthy of a small book! Looking over the special menu, Bolten actually clucks his tongue. "Tsk tsk tsk, a place of Underdark specialty and they have beef instead of rothe steak? Seems like the kitchen is missing a trick!" His jovial tone makes it clear that he's just having fun, actually a great deal more fun than usually seen.

Likewise suffering from choice paralysis, Bolten drums his fingers on the table in thought. Brightening up (figuratively speaking), Bolten suggests, "Well, why don't we get all three of the appetizers and try them? We just split it between us!"

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara clears her throat and points out, "Hrm, well, rothe is on their regular menu..." It was probably hard to find with all the things the restaurant had to offer, but it was there. "Seems with all their specials and their large menu size, maybe they've over extended themselves for the festival? Hmm..."

She raised an eyebrow at Bolton's suggestion but on second thought she supposed it wasn't a bad idea. "Maybe. Perhaps a bit too exotic for my tastes.. and expensive.." While Shandara literally did have thousands upon thousands of gold pieces saved at the bank, on top of quite a generous stipend to boot, her poorer roots and thriftiness often compelled her to be frugal even when it wasn't necessary.

Shandara looked over at her dwarf friend again, almost as if sizing him up, wondering if he could eat all three appetizers up by himself and then some. Finally she shrugged and said, "Ah fine, why not? You only live once, right? And I think we've both worked up an appetite." Well, at least Shandara was feeling hungry after all that sightseeing all day.

14. - Top - End - #284

Bolten smiles as they come to an agreement. He looks over his shoulder and says, "Now, we just need to find-"

"Have you decided upon a meal, sir?"

There is a brief moment of spluttering panic as Bolten flails in his seat while turning upward toward the strange, wispy voice. Above the pair, the strange, hunched form of what can only be an aranea hangs from the ceiling. Their arachnid body is covered in a server's suit, which must have cost quite a bit for the unconventional custom fittings and extra sleeves. Black, seemingly empty eyes sigh wearily as they submit a practiced apology. "I am sorry if my appearance has caused you distress. I am Spinel, your host."

Once Bolten has had a chance to recover, he sits up straight and looks a little embarrassed. His own tone is apologetic as he assures the server, "Oh, it's no trouble at all! I just... wasn't expecting anyone on the ceiling, that's all." That was technically true. The unexpected noise had startled him, but Bolten still finds himself somewhat unnerved by the strange creature's presence.

Coughing as if to banish the awkwardness, Bolten offers his menus up to Spinel. "We have decided to try all three of the daily special appetizers. Is there any way that we can get some sort of dressing to go with them?"

"Of course, sir," Spinel assures him as they claim the menus. "We have cream-based dressings to soothe our spicier offerings. Would you be interested in a beverage this evening?"

Bolten has a moment of comical concentration and deliberation before asking, "I don't suppose you have any Bugman Brew, do you?" Spinel makes an odd chittering noise. To Bolten's untrained ears, it is unclear whether the aranea is chiding him or laughing. "If we did not serve Bugman here, we would never get another dwarf through the front door! I shall bring you a stone tankard." Turning to Shandara, Spinel asks, "And for you, m'lady? We have a wide offering of wines available here, including the more sophisticated drow vintages. Might I recommend the K'jakr charnaggen? It is smooth but deep and rich. I am told that a little goes a long way... Perfect for sipping wine."
    Spoiler: OOC: Translation note
    Show
    K'jakr charnaggen means "still depths" in Drow. It is a brand of wine that utilizes the clearest, cleanest waters that are only available miles below the earth's surface. Those who enjoy the wine equate it to gently floating on top of a motionless body of water. Those unable to handle it compare it to drowning without any hope of surfacing, being sucked into infinite darkness.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara looks up with some curiosity to see the.. waiter hanging from the ceiling. Well, given the way the tables were set up with all the dividers, that honestly seemed to be the most efficient way of doing things.

She listens to the exchange between Bolten and Spinel and when addressed, pauses a bit and says, "Hm. I think I'll have to pass on that. Don't want to risk ruining the evening. I'll just have a bowl of your ripplebark-barrelstalk pasta, and a pot of hot tea, please."

"Which type of tea would you prefer?"

This place had so many choices of everything...

After a sigh and a slight shake of her head and awkward gestures, Shandara responds, "Just, um.. the standard Bazi Tea will be fine. Thank you." She had to admit she was seriously going through a lot of 'decision fatigue'. When their waiter leaves, Shandara sighs once again with some relief, and keeps an occasional eye on the ceiling more often than before.

16. - Top - End - #286

After the initial scare, Bolten gets over Spinel's appearance surprisingly quickly. When Shandara sags in her seat with weariness, Bolten asks her curiously, "Now, ripplebark I know, although my people call it arantym. I love the nutty flavor. But what does barrelstalk taste like? I've only ever heard of Underfolk using it as a drinking vessel. And what kind of sauce does it come with?"

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara says, "Oh, it's a little bland, but can be crunchy.." (going to say sort of like water chestnut)

"Barrelstalk does grow in the wild and it can be farmed. While the mushroom itself is well-known for retaining water, its flesh is still quite edible. Though I guess it isn't always very palatable.."

Then she shrugs. "It can come with many sauces, really. But I've had this bowl here before. The sauce they serve it with is savory and just a little sweet. What was it called..? Ika'yiret? I think the name is more gnomish origin. But it's really similar to something else I have had before when I was younger, called, Fay'laph'urn Qu'tran..."

Just then, Spinel came back, with a stone mug for Bolten and a piping-hot teapot for Shandara, and also a small tea cup.

Spinel clicks, "Your appetizers will be out shortly."

Looking at Bolten with their black eyes and a tilt of the head, Spinel asks, "And would you be having anything else to go with them? A soup or a salad perhaps? Our soup of the day is most excellent: creamy cave crab chowder with stal faux."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-05-19 at 08:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

"Huh... You know, Shandara, if you ever get bored of jewelry, you could open a kitchen for drow specialties," Bolten jokes fondly. Honestly, this was the most that Shandara had ever talked about her life before the surface. The workshops were not an environment of small talk and Shandara seemed reluctant to share at the time...

Bolten accepts the stone mug from Spinel with thanks. Before he can take a sip, Spinel's question stops the mug before his lips. "Hmmm... I may regret this later, but cave crab chowder sounds too good to pass up. Could you please serve it in a stone bowl, Spinel? I'm feeling more dwarfish than usual today." Spinel bowed with their four front legs. "Of course, sir." Spinel scuttles off to convey this new order to the kitchen.

Taking a sip of the golden frothy liquid contained in the stone mug, Bolten stops with an almost euphoric look on his face as the smoothest of dwarven ales dances over his palate. Once he regains his senses, Bolten explains, "You know me, Shandara- well, know me well enough, at least, to know that I am not a big beer drinker. Bugman Brew, however, is enough to change anyone's mind about ale. I always heard growing up that dwarven soldiers often substituted it over a regular meal!" Setting the mug down with gentle contentment, Bolten looks to Shandara and asks, "Well? How do you think today went? The highlight of my afternoon, ironically, was when we stopped to help that gnome and his tall friend with their lion."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

As Bolten and Shandara discuss matters and wait for their appetizers, a reddish-bearded dwarf appears at the entrance to the little alcove they're seated in. He's dressed in an expensive-looking and fashionable suit, though the stiff way in which he holds himself and the scars on his youngish face suggest he's a warrior of sorts, rather than a merchant or noble. He gives Bolten a quick once-over, and spares a longer look for Shandara, before disappearing as quickly and quietly as he appeared. Shortly afterwards the Dwarf and Drow hear the sounds of chairs being moved and the murmur of voices in the alcove adjacent to them as a large group arrives, though after several seconds the sound drops to near inaudible levels, the suddenness with which the sound drops suggesting some kind of spell was cast.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara makes a slight face and a soft, noncommittal grunt at Bolten's joke suggestion. It obviously was a joke considering Bolten's demeanor, though she seemed to have briefly been seriously considering the idea. Honestly? She wasn't that great of a cook. And it would probably be stressful doing it for a living. It was one thing to make things for herself, but serving others? She just couldn't ever see that happening. And it would probably be a nightmare just finding and preserving all the things she'd need for.. "drow specialties". And who in the hell would even bother coming to such a place??

Well, here they were in the Mushroom Garden, after all, but it was pretty clear that they were a broad Underdark cuisine, also with surface foods. Somehow they managed it, likely partly in thanks to the exorbitant prices some were willing to pay, but she figured she could never successfully run such a business herself.

As Bolten muses about feeling 'more dwarfish than usual', Shandara can't help but lightly chuckle. It was rather rare to see her smile, let alone laugh at anything. "If I get you to come in here more often, maybe I'll train you to guzzle ale like water and swear like a proper dwarf." Her light laugh lingered a bit, the joke coming so close to skirting her mother's old profession, but it was so subtle, the undertones were even lost upon her for the time.

Shandara stretched a bit, finally becoming a bit more comfortable and at ease as she began to pour herself some tea. As Bolten set down his mug and asked her about the day, she was about to answer when the red-bearded dwarf had stopped near their little booth and looked at them. Shandara glanced back, briefly.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Oh right, this is pathfinder. We just have the perception skill.

(1d20+6)[7]

Welp, he was clearly a lost fellow. Given the maze-like layout of this place, that was understandable. And it wasn't very uncommon for people to give Shandara a second look or a long glance either. Since the dwarf left soon enough, she thought little of it at first.

"Well, um. Today was alright. Very interesting. I would certainly call the clockwork menagerie worthy of a highlight. I never imagined that they would contain crystals with the spirits of animals that moved them.."

She adds, "I don't know if this harvest festival and I are very compatible, but I suppose as long as I am living here, it would not hurt to know more about the local culture..."

Then the sounds of activity in an adjacent alcove caught her attention. Paranoia was starting to set in on Shandara as a large group just so happened to begin sitting next to them, shortly after that dwarf had come by. Still, their hushed talking was all but indecipherable to her, and it got even quieter, suddenly.

Shandara uncomfortably glanced in their direction, effectively just staring futilely at the divider for a moment before she looks at Bolten, unsure what to even say. Perhaps it would be best if she just said nothing. Everyone was just here to enjoy a nice meal, right? She stared at her tea cup.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-05-22 at 08:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception just on the off-chance: (1d20+1)[16]

Bolten smiles as Shandara begins to lighten up. He hopes to see this side of her more often, where she's more comfortable and forth-going than her usual reclusive self. The appearance of another dwarf is not that surprising, but Bolten wonders why the clansman seems to be at least mildly interested in their presence. Even he notices how the dwarf takes longer to evaluate Shandara. Bolten feels a flush of embarrassment. Not for being caught in the company of a drow, but that one of his kin displays clear suspicion of his coworker.

Ignoring the jostling of the group next door, Bolten asks Shandara for further insight about something that bothered him earlier. His expression is troubled as he asks, "So, there really was a soul of some kind trapped in that clockwork lion? Did they mention how they put it in?"

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara looks back up toward Bolten, not very unhappy to be distracted by any thoughts she may have had. She says, "Erm. I would not say the use of the word 'trapped' is accurate... Given the way the animals don't rampage around angrily whenever able, and the reverence the others displayed, as well as the grim prospect of such spirits 'dying' .. I think there is more here at work than meets the eye. But I do not know the exact details. I know that shamans from their old ways used to perform some manner of ritual to call upon spirits. That in itself sounds fairly voluntary..."

Shandara's paranoia was still really flaring. It was pretty silly to think that anything would happen here, but you never know... After putting a small dollop of honey into her tea and stirring, she does a few simple arcane gestures and taps her tea cup with one of her fingers.

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 15
    Show
    Detect Poison

Seeming satisfied with whatever she just did, she took the first sips. Suddenly, the looming presence of Spinel up above caught her off guard. A soup bowl quickly clacked down onto the table before Bolten (Silverware and napkin was already present).

"Here you are, sir. We have fresh soup ready at a moment's notice. The appetizers will still be a few minutes. Please let me know if you need anything else."

And with that, after giving Bolten a mere second to say something before scurrying off, Spinel went off to try to greet the larger party nearby.

Show
    I think they may have trouble speaking with Spinel... Maybe they'd just need a different waiter?

23. - Top - End - #293

The idea sounds strange, but at least Shandara's analysis comforts Bolten somewhat... Bolten's conflicted expression gives way to surprise as he realizes how Shandara is expecting her drink. Perhaps that was drow drinking etiquette? He has heard that the dark elves are fond of the use of poison in beverages...

He jumps a little when Spinel surprises him with the bowl of chowder, but Bolten is starting to get used to the aranea's appearances. "Ah, thank you, Spinel." As Spinel scuttles away, Bolten looks down and sees the otherwise innocuous bowl of chowder has a few arachnid legs draped in it like crab legs. His complexion turns a little green as he picks one of the legs up to inspect it. "Oh... so that's what stal faux is," Bolten says quietly. His other hand grabs hold of the spoon and navigates the chowder carefully past his groomed beard to his mouth. Bolten hums approvingly, enjoying the combination of cream, salt, and just a hint of zest. He sets the spoon down and asks Shandara uncertainly, "So, uh, what's the best way to go about these? Do I just crack them with my fingers or do I just suck out the meat and juices?"

Dwarves aren't exactly familiar with spider shelling etiquette.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara simply nods at Bolten's obvious statement. She watches Bolten peering at his bowl, holding back a bemused expression. She supposed Bolten must have lived his entire life above ground...

She shrugs at his question, with just a hint of mirth. "Whichever you prefer. It's easy to get the meat out from the beginning, but you might want a shell cracker if you want everything near the tips."

The legs themselves can be handled similarly to lobster legs. Instead of little spines that might cut you if you are not careful, there are many more shorter, coarse hairs. The legs could probably be pulled apart with a bit of force: easily doable for your average person.

The stal faux meat itself is tasty with a somewhat unique flavor.. though it is a little bit chewy.

Shandara sips her tea again and asks, "So, do you plan to attend to the other days of the festival? I heard they do something differently each day..."

25. - Top - End - #295

Bolten goes to simply snap the leg at the joint, but stops and has second thoughts. Setting down the leg for a moment, Bolten reaches for his belt and pulls what looks like a spiky iron bar. After a few twists and pulls, the dwarf triumphantly holds aloft a pair of shell crackers seemingly made for the task. "Haha! Never leave home without an any-tool, I always say!" With characteristic precision, Bolten cracks open the chitin and dangles the stringy meat into his mouth. He hums in surprised approval. "Tastes a lot better than it looks... It's like a more substantial crab. Glad no hair is involved, though... well, minus what's on my face," he concedes in a moment of self-deprecation.

After taking a bit to chew the meat, Bolten responds, "I hear the Guilds are having a contest the day after tomorrow. It's a surprise crafting challenge where people have less than a day to make some contraption or concoction from scraps to solve a problem. How exciting!" Bolten bounces up and down in his seat eagerly. "What about you, Shandara? Had enough festival to satisfy you, or are you to give one of the challenges a whirl?"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara drums her fingers together briefly in some thought. "Hm. The challenge could be intriguing. Perhaps even.. fun? I wonder what the rules and criteria actually are, though.." She considered the idea some more. It's not like she had any other plans. It could be a way to pass some time, since most other people were also enjoying the festival, and perhaps there would be prizes, or some other boon to winning? Oh but the shame of failure.. Well, she rather doubted she would mess up that badly. Still, she was uncertain about it all. "Did you see firsthand what a competition from last year was like? I may be interested..."

-----

Shortly after Bolten's next response:

There seems to be a commotion in the restaurant. It's not the seating right next to them. It's more distant, and the direction seems to be coming from the back.

One perception roll needed for all these:
    Spoiler: perception 20
    Show
    Cockatrice! Now!

What is this?? It looks like ye boiled it!

Spoiler: perception 15
    Show
    It's raw!!

Spoiler: perception 20
    Show
    First ye burn them, now ye send out raw food?!

Get out! Just get the f&*$ out!!

Whatever is going on, it sounds like a deeper male voice yelling, very angry about something and cursing up a storm.

A minute later Spinel arrives with a basket of steaming-hot, breaded, calamari. The pieces are not in rings, but rather, long straight shoots about 1/3 inch in diameter and nearly eight inches long each. Given how huge a kraken must be, there may be some kind of slicing mechanism that gets the giant squid flesh into these shapes. The calamari was fried in exceedingly hot oil. Just the scent of them is mouthwatering.

Also, there's the firetoad fritters. These morsels also seem to have had seasonings rubbed in before being fried, and yet even more sauce was drizzled on after the fact. The fritters do indeed seem very spicy, as the aroma from these is sharp and prolonged exposure causes the eyes to water. And as expected, once a bite is taken, they are the spiciest thing you have ever eaten. One might joke the things were still alive and burning you. There's a very tasty flavor behind it all as well, but it's hard to enjoy when your mouth feels like it's on fire.

Apologetically, Spinel says, "Unfortunately, there was a slight delay with your cockatrice wings. I'm so terribly sorry. We'll get them out to you as soon as we can."

Shandara merely nods patiently and understandingly. At least they had plenty to work with already.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-06-02 at 05:36 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297

Bolten beams at the idea of Shandara participating and getting out of her shell like he is. "I confess that I did not watch last year, but maybe we could find out who the judges are. They might be able to give us at least a rough idea of what the challenge might be, even if they can't tell us exactly everything. Don't want to give us an unfair advantage, after all."

His musing is interrupted as he faintly hears someone yelling about raw food in the distance. It sounds like the kitchen is not having a good time... Bolten's lips draw tight in second-hand anxiety. Fortunately, Spinel soon appears with two of the three appetizers. Both of them smell steaming hot, though even the fragrance of the toad fritters is seemingly beyond reasonable for something supposedly edible. When Spinel wrings their hands about the cockatrice wings, Bolten actually manages to feel sympathy for the strange spider-creature. "Spinel... Is everything okay?" The dwarf's voice is soft as he asks the question, keeping low to avoid attracting attention.

Spinel hesitates before answering back, "...I am fine. We are just having some trouble in the kitchen, that's all."

Bolten tries to give a reassuring smile. "Please tell the kitchen to take as long as they need. We don't have any other plans this evening, so we are in no hurry. We're happy to wait until it's good and ready."

The aranea bows. "We are all thankful for your patience, master dwarf." There is audible relief in Spinel's voice. Spinel turns quickly and speeds off to check on another table while Bolten blows on a firetoad fritter before taking a bite.

Spoiler: Fortitude Save
    Show
    (1d20+5)[9]

Unfortunately, it's just a bit more spice than Bolten can handle even with forewarning. Tears immediately begin welling in his eyes and his hands wave uselessly to redirect air to his mouth, dropping the rest of the fritter onto his plate. His hands reach for the stone mug, as if it was a fire extinguisher, and the soothing dwarven ale helps to take the painful sting away. After several loud gulps, Bolten slams the pewter vessel down onto the table and sags back in his chair with a ragged gasping sigh. Even with Bugman Brew to save his burned taste buds, the dwarf can only manage two squeaky words.

"Too hot..."
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-06-04 at 08:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara raised an eyebrow at Bolten's reaction, a mild look of concern overshadowed by a less-mild look of amusement. She was sure the fritters were spicy as advertised, but that spicy? She was really beginning to think that Bolten was just incredibly soft for a dwarf.

She was still curious what it tasted like, but she was no fool and reached out with a single finger, dipping it slightly in the fritter sauce and then tasting it in her mouth.

After a few seconds of sucking her finger she says, "Oh come now, it's not.."

A look of worry washes over her face. "Oh dear..."

It only seemed fairly spicy at first, but it kept getting worse! Even the little bit of sauce that Shandara had dabbed in her mouth was quickly starting to feel far too hot for her liking.. and her tolerance.

"Gah.."

She reaches for her teacup and drinks it far more quickly than normal, emptying it in seconds. It didn't seem to help much. She sat there with a grimace on her face and poured herself some more tea, trying to fight back her own tears that were forming.

Show
    I think if Bolten wants to attempt another bite, he can have +2 to the roll next time. That probably only determines if he can stomach it though. Definitely has nothing to do if he will enjoy it.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-06-05 at 09:47 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299

Bolten tries to warn Shandara about the sauce, but his spluttering is in vain. The drow's smug look quickly takes on panic as her tea proves unmatched against such elemental heat. His tongue still burning from the flavor, Bolten takes another spoonful of chowder into his mouth. It does help, but only somewhat. Bolten pushes the bowl across the table. "Here, try some of this. Dairy is supposed to help after you eat spicy food."

Regardless of Shandara's answer, Bolten seeks to distract his mouth by taking one of the long strings of kalamari and crunching it between his teeth. They were still a little hot, but nothing compared to firetoad inferno. It's a bit stringy, but surprising hearty. Swallowing the morsel, Bolten looks down at the plate of firetoad fritters with resentment. "I'd rather eat the silver than finish that... and I mean that very literally."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara appreciates the gesture of Bolten offering some of his chowder, but she'll get over this little bit of sauce she tasted. "No thank you.." she manages to whisper.

Very gradually, the heat in her mouth subsided...

She just nods in agreement to Bolten's last statement. But it wasn't like she'd ever want to eat silver either. She mixed a little honey into her fresh cup of tea, and there was some silence for a while.

"I suppose we should just tell Spinel that we don't want it anymore..."

She tries some of the calamari and finds that it was quite delightful. The sauce provided to go with it was perfect.